Catshop or AFK Issues

erethizon1
erethizon1 Posts: 554 Arc User
edited July 2009 in Support Desk
After downloading today's patch (5/13/09) I am getting crash to desktops rather frequently. It is happening on my character that I leave in the form of a cat shop in archosaur and when it happens I get one of those microsoft bug report forms popping up (the one that has the traffic light icon with the red light glowing and is called ReportBugs). I have crashed like this 4 times today, but never before today. I tried running a file verification after the third crash but that did not appear to help (since I just crashed again). Is this a common problem or am I alone in experiencing this (and if I am alone how do you think I should go about fixing this)? Do you think it has anything to do with going afk for long periods of time?
Post edited by erethizon1 on

Comments

• kessanne
    kessanne Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    After the new patch I am also getting the same crashes, always while in catshop mode also, has happened twice in the last five hours.

I've also noticed that the elementclient.exe stays running under processes using up 100% cpu usage.
  • nibyen
    nibyen Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Yep its happened to me also during the catshop. b:cry
  • Eviltwist - Lost City
    Eviltwist - Lost City Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Same here.
    I did setup a catshop and minimized the game when restored the window it crashed.
  • david12345
    david12345 Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Crashes for me aswell in archo. It never crashed before this patch, now the most time I can spend in archo is like 30-40 mins before crash to desktop.

As far as I can tell, there is a bug/memory leak present after the patch. After the game crashes a windows tooltip saying "virtual memory too low"

http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_can_i_fix_too_little_virtual_memory_in_windows.html

Running win XP, 768MB RAM.
  • icu10
    icu10 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    ya i think there is a memory leak too because when i check'd the amount of memory being used everytime my game crashed and it was over 1,000,000K.
  • Lightwish - Dreamweaver
    Lightwish - Dreamweaver Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Yes my game crashes occasionally now, and others in my faction have the same issue!
  • JustForFun - Heavens Tear
    JustForFun - Heavens Tear Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Same issue here. Very annoying.
  • billguns
    billguns Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Since new patch I have been lagging HARD especially in Archo and crashes often. crashes every time in CatShop
  • erethizon1
    edited May 2009
    Not that I would wish this on any of you, but I am glad it is not just me because that means they will most likely address it. I am running a 2.4 GHz dual core and 2.5 gigs of ram (have 4 gigs but windows XP only recognizes 2.5 gigs of it) and the game normally runs with no troubles whatsoever. Not only that, but when I am in cat shop mode I run the game on the lowest possible settings just to ensure that I have no performance issues and I crashed 5 times yesterday before finally giving up. I sent in a bug report with a dxdiag file just in case that would help. Hopefully they know what the problem is and will be able to fix it soon.
  • Eviltwist - Lost City
    edited May 2009
    Are you guys using dual core processor, and nvidia graphic card ?
  • erethizon1
    edited May 2009
    Are you guys using dual core processor, and nvidia graphic card ?

Yes to both.
  • Eviltwist - Lost City
    edited May 2009
    Threaded optimization put to OFF it might help.
    Its in Nvidia control panel. Click on image \/
    perfectxdn.th.jpg
  • nibyen
    nibyen Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Threaded optimization put to OFF it might help.
    Its in Nvidia control panel. Click on image \/
    perfectxdn.th.jpg

Tried it, it didn't work b:sad, thx for tryin tho. =/
  • sparqy
    sparqy Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I'm having the same problem too, and I've given up running vendors.
    I will do the daily quests only until they fix this major FAIL.
  • Batista - Dreamweaver
    Batista - Dreamweaver Posts: 370 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    No crashed here but the lag is horrible whenever you are in a crowded area (W.Arch or Genie merchants) or flying over trees.
    Batista (85 Cleric) {Semi-Retired Character}
    Venom (55 Venomancer) {Main Character - On Vacation}
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    territorywar.info (Dreamweaver TW Maps) (Updated 08/28/2010)
    battleoftheimmortals.com (Under Major Construction)
  • sparqy
    sparqy Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    There are 5 or more threads regarding the crashes from this latest patch.

Can a moderator consolidate them and make a sticky until this issue is resolved?

This isn't a run of the mill inconvience bug, this is making the game outright unplayable for a lot of people.

Thankyou.
  • ladybella32
    ladybella32 Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    hello , i dunno if its the same thing or not but i just download pw this morning and i cant seem to get past my login w/o crashing or sometimes my computer reboots itself . i dont know whats wrong , i wasnt haveing any problems with my others games , i also play rohan and age of conan and they seemed to work fine for me yesterday . i dunno if its my computer or the game !!! all i know is i just want to be able to create a char and play lol i use to have an account with pw but its been probley 2 yrs now since ive played and they no longer reconize my account . dunno what the problem is there . anyways i would like to get back to playing . can anyone help me out pls !!! .........thankyou ladybella
  • darthpanda16
    darthpanda16 Posts: 9,471 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    You can send us a ticket to Tech Support here: http://support.perfectworld.com/ticketing

after reading this: http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=2005612&postcount=33

We'll take a look at your system and see what is going on hopefully, ok? b:pleased
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
  • Miatemaro - Heavens Tear
    Miatemaro - Heavens Tear Posts: 700 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    yea Im getting on my kitty shop PC. it is nvidia and dual core. no the earlier fix didnt work. However im trying something else since it dont happen on my vista machine for some reason while im playing. It could be about the new slots added if this fix doesnt work. What I did was copy over the elementclient.exe from vista machine to xp pro machine. So we'll see.
    working it Q_Q
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • darthpanda16
    edited May 2009
    Be careful copying the whole game directory.

It seems to do ok from an XP machine to another XP machine.

It doesn't always work from an XP machine to a Vista one.

Since you went from Vista to XP in copying the game directory, it may work, it may not. YOu may have to properly re-install.

I traded workstations here at work from an XP machine to a Vista one, and found out the hard way about copying the game directory ;)
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
  • Muah - Heavens Tear
    Muah - Heavens Tear Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    What should we say is the problem for the ticket?
    ~Mrs. Curry~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Since 7/4/09
  • darthpanda16
    edited May 2009
    Just fully explain your issue the best you can.

If you can provide us with screen shots in jpg format of the errors you get (if applicable), it'll help too! b:pleased
    edited May 2009
    Be careful copying the whole game directory.

It seems to do ok from an XP machine to another XP machine.

It doesn't always work from an XP machine to a Vista one.

Since you went from Vista to XP in copying the game directory, it may work, it may not. YOu may have to properly re-install.

I traded workstations here at work from an XP machine to a Vista one, and found out the hard way about copying the game directory ;)

Yeap I do know that. Thats why I didnt delete my original copy of the .exe . We had a similar problem with another game where it would cause the memory leaks. Simply moving the .exe to there desktop and then back to the folder cleared it up also.
    working it Q_Q
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • darthpanda16
    edited May 2009
    Another thing that could maybe cause memory leaks is if you have a large amount of data in Window's clipboard (the place where things are stored when you copy and paste).

Restarting your system will free up the clipboard, and your issue might get resolved that way.
  • WujenKempo - Heavens Tear
    WujenKempo - Heavens Tear Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Ever since the patch this week, catshop use has been a nightmare. 4 out of 5 attempts at catshopping for more than an hour resulted in a game crash of the client.

My system is a Dell XPS 410
    Dual Core 1.83 Gig processor
    4 Gig of Physical RAM
    Nvidia GeForce 7300 LE video card
    Windows XP w/service pack 3

I have never had any issue with game crashes before. Oh sure, every once in a great while something would malfunction. This however is extreme.
  • Eviltwist - Lost City
    edited May 2009
    It seems it's happening in areas with big ammount of people.
    Been playing Cleric for a while and no crashes, Archosaur = 30 mins, catshop or not im getting game crash.
    edited May 2009
    Another thing that could maybe cause memory leaks is if you have a large amount of data in Window's clipboard (the place where things are stored when you copy and paste).

Restarting your system will free up the clipboard, and your issue might get resolved that way.

Yea kinda could be that though most likely it wouldnt be for this type of crashing, usually that would result in total lock-ups from the crash.

Anyways my kitty shop has been up 3 hours now and no crashes since I did the dragging elementclient.exe to desktop and replacing it. Got a few others in the faction Im in to do the same thing since they also are crashing.
    working it Q_Q
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2009
    4 hours after doing that it crashed again. gonna see how long it sits outside kitty shop mode.
    working it Q_Q
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • michie0920
    michie0920 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    i never even got a chance to play....after the character select screen, i selected my character and while loading into perfect world, it crashed to desktop...it happened like 5 times
  • darthpanda16
    edited May 2009
    @michie0920 Your issue is different from the other users on here.

Please see this post: http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=2534541&postcount=35

Everyone else, please follow our directions for sending in tickets and including the logs with your ticket that we ask for. Please describe what you were doing, the coordinates of where you setup your catshop, etc.

The more info, the better.

If you crash and get the Report Error message (only), go your

C:\Program Files\Perfect World Entertainment\Perfect World International\element\logs

directory and include these logs:

A3d
    AF
    AM
    EC

We're looking into it, but haven't successfully reproduced it on our end yet.

Until we have figured out everything, try not to setup a catshop next to everyone else. Try to be context sensitive and sell items in an area where players might need them in-game.
This discussion has been closed.