A few minor questions...

Options
haeker
haeker Posts: 11 Arc User
edited May 2009 in Dungeons & Tactics
I've been playing MMOs since they first existed - starting from Meridian 59 and The Realm, moving on to Everquest, and then to just about every 3D MMO to date, as well as quite a few free MMOs.

While I'm currently downloading the game, I have a few specific questions.

-I find most game communities lacking. I rarely if ever group, usually because there's no one (or no one smart) to play with. What's it like in PW?

-I've read a lot of differing opinions on the various classes and such, but I'm still unable to make up my mind as to what I want to play. I'm seriously stuck on a fence here. Any personal thoughts on this one would help.

-To clarify, do elves always lose mana while flying, or only certain classes or until certain levels? I heard somewhere that clerics don't...

-Is PvP really cheap in PW? I've played a lot of MMOs where the divide gapping opposing players can be so staggering that griefing is a major issue. I understand on PvE servers this is not a problem, but how level is the field when it comes to Territor Wars?

-I like to push my characters to perform as well as possible. Do I really have to worry about boosting my characters with cash-bought goodies, or can I make a serious go of it with just hard-earned in-game currency?

Thanks, fellas. Input appreciated.
Post edited by haeker on

Comments

• Arieannah - Heavens Tear
    Arieannah - Heavens Tear Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    from what i have see so far...the community is NOT lacking XD my computer always lags in major cities because there are so many people (where there are monsters...you can find at LEAST10 people in your computer screen range.) ..gotta be quick before they get all of your quest monsters XD.
    edited May 2009
    Options
    ok it is true that archers lose some mana when flying (amount depends on how long you fly) but this is only untile lv 30 (since most players can fly at lv 30. it is true that clerics don't lose mana, but the fly VERY SLOWLY that a person running could beat (tested) but clerics need it one hit from a monster and there as good as dead. so they can just fly over them.
  • Aryetta - Lost City
    Aryetta - Lost City Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    ok it is true that archers lose some mana when flying (amount depends on how long you fly) but this is only untile lv 30 (since most players can fly at lv 30. it is true that clerics don't lose mana, but the fly VERY SLOWLY that a person running could beat (tested) but clerics need it one hit from a monster and there as good as dead. so they can just fly over them.

Clerics do lose mana when flying with white wings but once they add to magic, their mp will start healing more than the lose so it looks like they don't lose mana.
    edited May 2009
    Options
    ok most of the cash shop items are for LOOKS ONLY, they do nothing. as for the items you can use to boost them in the cash shop (gems) you can find those from monsters that drop them or just buy thenm from an NPC. cash shop just wants to help you get to them faster. socket stones just add sockets to your armour/wep. you can find people selling cashop items in the game for game money or if you want you can buy gold from the auctionhouse and buy it yourself. (usually cheaper to buy the item from the owner) so yeah you can have awsome cash shop armour by just using hard work.
  • haeker
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Thanks, Ari. I was actually asking wether or not the community was helpful, or, alternately, just (generally) a bunch of kids running around, spamming and trolling. I'd like to be in a group one of these years.
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Clerics do lose mana when flying with white wings but once they add to magic, their mp will start healing more than the lose so it looks like they don't lose mana.

no they really don't loose mana i checked, but we fly i think .4 mph slower than archers.
  • Aryetta - Lost City
    edited May 2009
    Options
    From what i've seen, there are a variety of different people so it is not easy to find a nice group of people or more for the matter. You jsut have to test out and see.
    edited May 2009
    Options
    no they really don't loose mana i checked, but we fly i think .4 mph slower than archers.
    also i have a cleric
  • Zephyrx - Lost City
    Zephyrx - Lost City Posts: 1,563 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    haeker wrote: »
    I've been playing MMOs since they first existed - starting from Meridian 59 and The Realm, moving on to Everquest, and then to just about every 3D MMO to date, as well as quite a few free MMOs.

While I'm currently downloading the game, I have a few specific questions.

-I find most game communities lacking. I rarely if ever group, usually because there's no one (or no one smart) to play with. What's it like in PW?

90% of the population will probably ignore you like a noob whenever you try to talk to them, because they apparently are too cool for you. 5% of the population will talk mean things to you. 3% of the Population will talk to you and then ignore you after a while. 2% of the population are cool b:cool.

But if you find a decent faction that doesn't suck.. Most likely 50% of the population are cool... So yea... Your early levels are gonna suck.. (a lot because you will be playing with your imaginary friend)... Unless you brainwash your friends to play this game with you.

-I've read a lot of differing opinions on the various classes and such, but I'm still unable to make up my mind as to what I want to play. I'm seriously stuck on a fence here. Any personal thoughts on this one would help.

Untamed Barbarian for a newbie class to start off with... that's what I tell like everyone

-To clarify, do elves always lose mana while flying, or only certain classes or until certain levels? I heard somewhere that clerics don't...

No you don't lose mana while flying with the exception of the Winged Elf Race and their "Natural Wings", which has a -2 MP/sec effect while in-transit. Cleric do lose mana, but their mana recovery exceeds their usage, which makes them actually gain mana while flying (but gain less mana of course)

-Is PvP really cheap in PW? I've played a lot of MMOs where the divide gapping opposing players can be so staggering that griefing is a major issue. I understand on PvE servers this is not a problem, but how level is the field when it comes to Territor Wars?

PvP is the only cool thing if your not a carebear. PvP servers is attack anyone that thinks you aren't cool and basically masscare everything you see that moves (except for ppl you wish to live). PvE servers is attack every non-moving target you see (boring monsters with 0 IQ) and then whine and QQ whenever a high level decides to Killsteal you because you can't do anything except complain all day. In a PvE Server, you can choose to be flagged for PvP or not... and people who aren't flagged means they can't be attacked.

Anyhow, if you want a happier PvE experience, pick PvP (Because we know not to Killsteal the hard way... that is KS me = Pk U). If you can't tolerate the lv 30 Rite of Passage (At level 30 in a PvP Server, anyone may freely attack you at any time outside of the "Safe Zone"), then pick a PvE server. If your friends are going PvE, pick PvE... But besides that, I find no reason to pick PvE unless you really can't stomach PvP.

-I like to push my characters to perform as well as possible. Do I really have to worry about boosting my characters with cash-bought goodies, or can I make a serious go of it with just hard-earned in-game currency?

You can perfectly play this game well... and I mean very well... Pretty much like 70%-80% effect of a heavy cash user if you manage your money well. In-game Currency is extremely valuable.. and it tradeable with Gold (Real money cash) if you so desire at a fair exchange rate (Usually around 150k coins for 1 Gold, Gold is used for the Boutique Shop, or cash shop)

Thanks, fellas. Input appreciated.

Anyhow... enjoy the red text.

P.S. There are trolls on this forum... you should like totally worship them man..
    Position: Professional Forum Troll
    Position Details: Be able to incite people to flames and perform miracles such as telling people what's right and what's wrong. Be able to dish out flames to other people so fire extinguishers are needed to put out the flames. Most of all, giving others a piece of reality.

ZephyrX is better than crack... he's your Anti-Drug
  • Aryetta - Lost City
    edited May 2009
    Options

They do. The white wings cause you to lose mana but clerics jstu have more mana. Idk about flying slower but i do look like i fly really slow. lol
    edited May 2009
    Options
    From what i've seen, there are a variety of different people so it is not easy to find a nice group of people or more for the matter. You jsut have to test out and see.

i can always find someone to help me ^^ people are really nice XD this is probably due to the fact im on a "carebear" server b:chuckle

i heard lost city is infamous for mean people, is it true? (thinking about creating a character there)
    edited May 2009
    Options
    They do. The white wings cause you to lose mana but clerics jstu have more mana. Idk about flying slower but i do look like i fly really slow. lol

O_O I KNOW RIGHT?!! i was close to tears when i had to fly to arch T.T
  • Aryetta - Lost City
    edited May 2009
    Options
    i can always find someone to help me ^^ people are really nice XD this is probably due to the fact im on a "carebear" server b:chuckle

i heard lost city is infamous for mean people, is it true? (thinking about creating a character there)

Not everyone, I've played on both LC and Sanc and I find mean and nice people. More nice than mean. However, The difference I've seen is that theres alot more killing in pvp server but in pve server i find more rude people. But overall, a huge majority of people are nice. =3
  • Zephyrx - Lost City
    Zephyrx - Lost City Posts: 1,563 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options

I eat Carebear for breakfast... (Kids, they are part of a well-balanced breakfast!)

Anyhow Lost City is a pretty cool Server. I mean daily, I get Pked about twice on average by guilds like RageQuit (Dam.. you Liger.. you will die!!! die!!! Even if I join RageQuit I will pk you!!... at least once), Warsouls (They randomly pk), Conquerors (Dam.. that Pnut.. and Devil.. and some other noobs there) and once by RedHawk (B/c Pink made me smexy). You know, the nice and friendly anger management guilds.

Well, it made me not bored anyhow while grinding... You know, sometimes when grinding for like 999999999999zzzzzz hours... you really could wish someone will just Pk your **** and save you from grind hell.

But sadly... there are actually more nice people in Lost City than random evil mean people who randomly Pk everything that moves and burn Guardian Angels like no tomorrow...
    Position: Professional Forum Troll
    Position Details: Be able to incite people to flames and perform miracles such as telling people what's right and what's wrong. Be able to dish out flames to other people so fire extinguishers are needed to put out the flames. Most of all, giving others a piece of reality.

ZephyrX is better than crack... he's your Anti-Drug
  • Aryetta - Lost City
    edited May 2009
    Options
    O_O I KNOW RIGHT?!! i was close to tears when i had to fly to arch T.T

Lol yea, but teleporting can really hurt my wallet so i fly alot. Takes alot of time. T.T lvl 82 w/ white wings still. lol
  • Jingizu - Heavens Tear
    Jingizu - Heavens Tear Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    i'm playing a cleric, got to lvl 50 in roughly 2 months of semi-casual gaming if you want to make friends, like helping people and still want to be able to play solo, cleric is a really sweet choise.

Upside: easy to make friends, real easy to play, almost never a problem to find a party.

Downside : easy to be asked to fly *loong* distances to revive friends/factionmembers, you will see "BUFFZ PLZ!!" alot, and coinwise cleric is catastophical, to save money use meditate, but this will seriously eat grindtime etc.

my 2 cents about clerics :)
  • haeker
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Thanks, Zeph. I actually like PvP, myself, but there is nothing more infuriating than having a situation you are not physically able to deal with, such as doing one thing and being brutally interrupted by a bored player that's three times your level. Is there any sort of serious penalty for dying via player, such as heavy exp loss or item drop? I'd hate to be griefed repeatedly, only to lose a few of my more important pieces of gear.

Tell me more about how PvP generally works on a regular basis. I want to decide on this.
  • Aryetta - Lost City
    edited May 2009
    Options
    i'm playing a cleric, got to lvl 50 in roughly 2 months of semi-casual gaming if you want to make friends, like helping people and still want to be able to play solo, cleric is a really sweet choise.

Upside: easy to make friends, real easy to play, almost never a problem to find a party.

Downside : easy to be asked to fly *loong* distances to revive friends/factionmembers, you will see "BUFFZ PLZ!!" alot, and coinwise cleric is catastophical, to save money use meditate, but this will seriously eat grindtime etc.

my 2 cents about clerics :)

Lol, seriously, I get asked to fly so far just to res people and i feel bad letting them eat dirt so i go help... I get called atleast 4 times a day. My friends jstu love poking monsters. lol
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Thanks, Ari. I was actually asking wether or not the community was helpful, or, alternately, just (generally) a bunch of kids running around, spamming and trolling. I'd like to be in a group one of these years.

people are REALLy nice and helpfull T.T (espessially barbs = a clerics best friend XD...ok and archers...ok just every one) i have met like 3 people who got mad at me for farming something they wanted, but thats it.

if you DO meet some idiots (in a bad way cuz i was WILD when i first started the game...i cannon balled into the fountain of a major city XD) chances are they will dissapear before lv 15 and you won't even SEE any at lv 20 (you can reach this in like a day)..for you since your experianced..like 5 hour at max...i kept on getting lost thats why it took me a day T.T
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Lol yea, but teleporting can really hurt my wallet so i fly alot. Takes alot of time. T.T lvl 82 w/ white wings still. lol

..teleporting is a sweet sin i must not give in to T.T i need money for skills and im flat out broke. T.T
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Not everyone, I've played on both LC and Sanc and I find mean and nice people. More nice than mean. However, The difference I've seen is that theres alot more killing in pvp server but in pve server i find more rude people. But overall, a huge majority of people are nice. =3

...i agree with you some people in pve are rude...probably cuz they can't just kill without consent (frustration builds up XD)..and for pvp you cAN vent so more nice people XD.
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I eat Carebear for breakfast... (Kids, they are part of a well-balanced breakfast!)

Anyhow Lost City is a pretty cool Server. I mean daily, I get Pked about twice on average by guilds like RageQuit (Dam.. you Liger.. you will die!!! die!!! Even if I join RageQuit I will pk you!!... at least once), Warsouls (They randomly pk), Conquerors (Dam.. that Pnut.. and Devil.. and some other noobs there) and once by RedHawk (B/c Pink made me smexy). You know, the nice and friendly anger management guilds.

Well, it made me not bored anyhow while grinding... You know, sometimes when grinding for like 999999999999zzzzzz hours... you really could wish someone will just Pk your **** and save you from grind hell.

But sadly... there are actually more nice people in Lost City than random evil mean people who randomly Pk everything that moves and burn Guardian Angels like no tomorrow...

..for that eating carebear comment.... *BITE*>.>

I REFUSE TO BE EATEN!!!XD

ok, i agree LC does seem nice...i just freak out when fighting a real people T.T

and i hate losing hard earned stuff.>.<
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Lol, seriously, I get asked to fly so far just to res people and i feel bad letting them eat dirt so i go help... I get called atleast 4 times a day. My friends jstu love poking monsters. lol

...that has NEVER happened to me..its often ME begging other clerics to rez me T.T sad i know im pathetic at this T.T XD
  • haeker
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Oh, so you do lose your stuff when another player kills you?

Hmm. I guess that means that you can also obtain stuff from taking out other players...
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Oh, so you do lose your stuff when another player kills you?

Hmm. I guess that means that you can also obtain stuff from taking out other players...

true but the mosre players you kill the more stuff you lose when killed ( your name is even convieniently in red for all high lv pkers to see)
  • haeker
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I suppose you also get a ever-reddening karma by even selectively taking out annoying players and the like?

Also, do you get lower karma by killing other low-karma players (the ones with red-tinged names)?
    edited May 2009
    Options
    you've still sullied your hads with the blood of another..so yeah it doesn't help (makes it worse XD)...although i would totally do that cuz im a very vengeful person, but god isn't that forgiving XD. but i will repect you for sacrificing youyrself for others b:byeb:thanks
  • haeker
    edited May 2009
    Options
    You know what? I can play carebear on EQ2 and Free Realms. I think I'll try my hand at PvP, see if I can really make it. Any difference between Lost City and Heavens Tear? (Those are, uh, servers, ye?)

I'm curious as to how TW works, both generally and on a PvP server.
    edited May 2009
    Options
    the severs look the same if that what your asking..they have the same everything.

the only difference is PvP= attack without warning

PVE= ...kinda hard to miss the i challenge you too a duel page that pops up in front of your face..although i did make some money off a barb who was willing to pay me to duel him AND gave me a free 30 sec head start XD...i still lost, duh.(cleric fighting barb who was willing to pay and give atvantage = dead, you know your dead so might as well collect you money T.T)
  • haeker
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Twas thinking about making a cleric (if I went PvE anyway). It's a shame to think that they're so "weak".

Is there a lick of truth to the insta-death I keep hearing about, or are the fragle classes not-that-frickin'-fragile?