Squad invites and duals

ChiaoLin - Dreamweaver
ChiaoLin - Dreamweaver Posts: 9 Arc User
edited May 2009 in Tideswell (East)
I have a standard rule of thumb that I always go by when people ask me to join squads or to dual.

"If you do not chat me first and politely ask me to join or dual I will never accept."

I do the same for friend requests. Why would I want to add someone as a friend when they have never said a single word to me.

So, am I the only one that feels this way? I get lots of invites to squads every time I play but only one ever took the time to talk to me first. If I need help with something or would like to see if someone will team up with me to do quests, I will PM them, tell them what I am doing and ask them if they would like to join. I expect the same from other people.

Is it too much to ask for simple courtesy?

I expect there will be people that agree with me but I also suspect there will people that think I am being rude.

What are your thoughts?
Post edited by ChiaoLin - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Lah - Dreamweaver
    Lah - Dreamweaver Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Random invites don't bother me too much, but I naturally follow your rules.
    I always PM and state what I'm doing and if they want to squad.

Chances are I'm on a scroll and do not wish to squad anyway.
  • Saomuel - Dreamweaver
    Saomuel - Dreamweaver Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Same here.

I've received many invitations to join factions, sometimes I refused and the guy invited me again.

The most problem with the random squad invitation is the question "what the squad is doing". I was once near Wellspring Village and received one more random squad invitation. I decided to accept it just to see what happens. There was an barbarian and a veno doing lvl 16~17 Untamed quests, and I'm an Cleric. Lvl 26 at the time, I guess. So I politely gave them buffs and left the squad.

When I want squad up with people, I ask first, via open chat or PMs, and most important, I tell what the squad will kill. I'm doing the quest that sends me out to kill, let's see, Heartless Wolves. I ask who are killing the same Wolves, and that is the people who I'll invite to squad up.
  • Novinha - Dreamweaver
    Novinha - Dreamweaver Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Random friend requests are things I don't do. There had to be some kind of conversation that led up to the friend request.

I do the same for squads. I personally, like to ask before I send a squad invite. **I just think it sucks when there's no reply (update-wise) in squad chat ... I just drop squad then. If I'm not updated on how much they have left, they could be done and I could be wasting time/charm.

**This only counts since I tend to stay in squad to help all others finish the quest along with me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Marianas - Dreamweaver
    Marianas - Dreamweaver Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    If it's a random squad invite and I'm not on a mission I'll join and do my own thing, which is what I assume they're up to, soloing with shared experience.

I ignore any other random stuff. People must make an effort. }:-)
  • aryannamage
    aryannamage Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Yes most people just don't seem to know simple courtesy. Random squad invites? Ignore...

Actually just this weekend did a Worldchat that I was looking for a faction and to pm me with details. It was more to test people then anything else. 15 totally random faction invites b:shocked Apart from one of those factions I had never even heard of any of the others and there could actually have been more as I accidently clicked yes on the 15th b:surrender Told the leader it was an accident of mine to click yes and that I wanted info first of all. Left the faction afterwards and he hasn't spoken to me since. Only 1 person actually had the courtesy to give me some info first. b:sad
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Noggin - Dreamweaver
    Noggin - Dreamweaver Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I somtimes send squad requests without a chat, but only if I'm sure the other person is doing the same thing as me. I find the chat interface a little awkward but after reading this I may try a message first if that is considered more appropriate.

Random faction and dual requests are a different matter.
  • Wilde - Dreamweaver
    Wilde - Dreamweaver Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I've gotten blind invites, blind duals, blind recruits... I wouldn't say this behavior was offensively rude, maybe just less than courteous. Unless I get a whisper first, I just ignore that exclamation box, and let it poof.

On my alt I get lots of blind recruits that I end up ignoring, but I also make it a point to thank any recruiter showing the courtesy to whisper me first.

Considering how the PWI guild system enables finicky leave-on-a-whim behavior, I'd say a blind recruitment isn't the best way to inspire loyalty.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Estasi - Sanctuary
    Estasi - Sanctuary Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    My director did a WC not to long ago recruiting for our faction. From my understanding he had about 10 replies. With those 10 replies they joined and left after they saw the lvls in the faction. Personally I find this very rude. Being in a faction should not be a popularity contest. You should not be in a faction because there are "cool people" in it. These people could had easily asked my director for any information such as the lvls and classes and what not. Instead they waste every one's time and faction jump.

Anyway I don't want to rant I am just saying that a little bit of courtesy goes along way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I'm Not Bad, I'm Just Drawn That Way"
    ~ Jessica Rabbit
    Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
    Ittoogami says I'm addicted to clothes, but I say a girl can never have enough outfits!
  • Eremedy - Dreamweaver
    Eremedy - Dreamweaver Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Yes - one thing people SHOULD do is to stream the info before any actions. Like with the group invites - I seldom get any, but mostly I love to do the grind quests alone (not unless underwater - hate those - or anything else that is really annoying, maybe those that suck your MP too) - yeah, I love the exp and drops I get from there, moreover when I'm not in a hurry with the quests or levelling up.

About invitings to factions etc - most of the announcements on the wc say "PM/whisper for info"... I never did (well I have been in the one and only so far too). In one hand yes, asking the info about how-many-active-players-and-what-level-etc - in the smaller factions, yeah, why not... But if all the bigger ones did that (idk - maybe they even do), the spies would be in business.

Gotta love the spies.

*ADD
    But yeah, then there are LOTS of faction-jumpers. Don't know whom to trust of them either anymore. They just have a mental-state that won't allow to ask the info before, or they just have a different method of gathering info... Or are just gankers...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kaier - Sanctuary
    Kaier - Sanctuary Posts: 85 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    random invites dont really bother me but if i was to add a friend...i'd expect them to at least say a 'hi'...people in squads are cool...they at least talk to u...b:thanks
    Friendship means being stupid together...b:cute
  • Eremedy - Dreamweaver
    Eremedy - Dreamweaver Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Actually sometimes it even bothers me when some people want to add as friend after some lousy FB -_-
    I already have a big list full of names, most of them I don't even remember how they got there and who they are... So sorry if I have offended in a way someone like that..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]