Crown of Flame

Options
Gregen - Lost City
Gregen - Lost City Posts: 174 Arc User
edited May 2009 in Wizard
I was just curious of your opinions on the spell. I've been reading around on the forums and it looks like it doesn't get much love. Why not?

I personally use it in every battle while I'm soloing (except against fire monsters) and (now at level 61) just maxed it to level 10. I think it's great because it's quick and does a fair amount of damage. I remember taking into account people's thoughts that you shouldn't stick to one element, but I have in a way. My stone rain and Gush are still level 9, I haven't gotten glacial snare yet. My three basic fire spells are maxed, except Divine Pyrogram, at level 9 (I can't max it at my level, yet). It's been working just fine so far. Divine Pyrogram, Crown of Flame, Pyrogram, Force of Will, DP and that should about to it for everything of my level and I shouldn't take a scratch. I think it makes more sense to have less spells that are more powerful than distributing them all at once, but that's me.

So there's my little rant. How do you feel?
Post edited by Gregen - Lost City on

Comments

• AndromedaB - Sanctuary
    AndromedaB - Sanctuary Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    put simply its weak and not worth the 500kish u put into leveling it
    plus it uses spirit that coudl be better used
  • WitchBurner - Sanctuary
    WitchBurner - Sanctuary Posts: 1,394 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    it's damage to mana ratio is also crappy.
    Currently flying internet spaceships around dodixie, moving to amarr soon.

Send me a mail if you wanna ask/request anything

Sanctuary's retired king of wizards alongside queen Saintblu.
  • Gregen - Lost City
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I thought the damage/mana ratio made sense. It takes only one second to channel and takes care of the residual damage that I would normally have left over. Plus I don't really care about mana, I've got plenty and potions do well.
  • AndromedaB - Sanctuary
    AndromedaB - Sanctuary Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I thought the damage/mana ratio made sense. It takes only one second to channel and takes care of the residual damage that I would normally have left over. Plus I don't really care about mana, I've got plenty and potions do well.

damage/cast ratio is also lacking

ps: ZOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMGGGGGGGGGGGGG I HAZ NEW AVATAR!!!!!!!! PURRDY!!!!!!!!!!
  • Xelea - Heavens Tear
    Xelea - Heavens Tear Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Crown of flame is not woth the time and money youll put into it.. much like the Wizard class itself.
    So treat crown of flame like you should the wizard class. Bring it to an early lvl to see its"ooooo pretty lights..." then drop it..not worth it.
  • Pirodar - Sanctuary
    Pirodar - Sanctuary Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I'm a sucker who leveled it (lately) and I'm disappointed.

Ok, nobody is surprised considering that it was said many times, that it's **** and getting disappointed is a common theme of playing a wizard. But don't laugh at me yet. Let's see the numbers

1 second channelling
    1 second cast

deals base magic damage + 3012.9 over 15 seconds

Now Program

1.5 second channelling
    0.8 second cast

deals base magic damage + 1379.6 + 100% of M attack of equipment

I'm not sure how much is 100% of M attack of equipment in my case but it's more than 1k and I'm pretty sure less than 1.5k at the moment.

So the numbers say, it's stronger than pyrogram in cases, where the damage doesn't have to be instantaneous and it's faster. And that's why i gave it a try.

Now the disappointment: The damage over time effect is reduced differently by mob's resistance, than instantaneous damage. The total damage of Crown of Flames is less than the damage of pyrogram (at least in case of mobs I tested it on). Not much. It's actually very close and the DPS may be higher due to shorter channelling but the damage is less than I expected.

Now a bit nice and of course completely useless good surprise. DoT effect is not affected by the air to ground and probably other similar penalties. It's probably the case with DoT skills in the whole game and the famous "Phoenix bug" is the same. But nobody complains about bugged wizards because the skill is useless and not used. But if all You do a whole day is killing Mantavip from the air, you should consider levelling pitfall.
  • Pirodar - Sanctuary
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Ah sorry. the main problem with Phoenix'es Flesh Ream is the lack of PvP reduction not air to ground reduction, so it's not the same. But I've seen the lack of air to ground reduction in case of it mentioned too, and this little bit is the same.
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    Kristoph - Lost City Posts: 2,016 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I'd leave this skill at 1 even if I got the demon/sage version. It's the cheapest finisher you have if left at 1. Great for ticking noob hiero's too.
    Wondering how much longer these **** packs are going to be around.
  • Cheaper - Heavens Tear
    Cheaper - Heavens Tear Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    this skill is nice for annoying someone
    omg im posting stuff.
  • Amour - Lost City
    Amour - Lost City Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Level 1 is just as strong as level 10. The DoT shouldn't even be considered.
    "Amour is better suited to rainbow text, because he is a classy lady." - Nakhimov
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dnbcos
    dnbcos Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    if u want a finisher i'd recomend pitfall...
    does more damage for same channel/cast time and it has a chance to freeze... so if it doesn't finish them off u may have 3 seconds to finish them if they freeze...
    also the % chance of freeze isnt high but with demon mode it increases to 33%
    also if u r lvling earth mastery for sandstorm then pitfall would be the way to go XD
    also regarding lvling all fire skills only... earth resistance seems to me to be the hardest magic resistance for classes to get to a high resistance... fire resistance seems to take care of itself so for pve fire mastery would be fine but pvp if your just fire then u might have some trouble XD
  • King_Solomon - Heavens Tear
    King_Solomon - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,341 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    i've got it at lvl1 and i use mainly to get chi without spending a lot of mp.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you're willing to join another online game do NOT join any hosted by K2 NETWORK. Want to know why? Check BBB complaints.
  • DishyWiggles - Harshlands
    DishyWiggles - Harshlands Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    1: I like cheaper's sig ^^. and

2: Crown of flame is nothing. the only thing I use it for is when u USUALLY kill mobs *stone rain, gush, pyro* but, you didn't this time *darn*. Hey look at that nifty little F5 button ^^ (mines actually pitfall because I think it looks cooler ^^) its great for hitting that extra 500 dmg needed to kill a mob without using the 100 (lvl... 7 gush?) to finish it off. 50 mana +cool look > 100 mana :) (mana cost is more @ higher levels.)

but like someone said, to annoy someone use CoF and pitfall :), even better if it stuns ^^.
  • Ursa - Dreamweaver
    Ursa - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,634 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I lvled Pitfall to 4 I think? Against water mobs is a great thing. I do between 3.7-4.2k dmg on it. Always used as finisher.
    With earth masterty maxed, I grind on Water mobs in Swamp and 90% of the time (when unbuffed) they are 3 shot: SS-SR-Pitfall. For the other 10% i have the CoF at the end of the combo. at least in my head this seems to be the most efficient way to kill mana wise and avoind being hit. I like to maximize the dps and minimize the mana usage and all of this while not being hit at all. Always fun playing a wizz.

~I listen to hardcore FIGHT songs when I visit the forum, just to get into the proper mood~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Konariraiden - Heavens Tear
    Konariraiden - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,505 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Crown of Flame is really nothing much to me...I think I only used it once or twice when I got it, to see how it looked..then it just slowly faded away sitting on my skill list, gathering dust...I just use my standard spells; they seem to get the job done just fine. ^_^

By the way, Ursa, love your sig...'specially the bottom part...looks familiar, yes? ~.^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, it's me. Don't read to much into it, though; I'm only here for myself now, killin' time and chillin' when need-be. So sue me. Tch...
  • Ursa - Dreamweaver
    edited May 2009
    Options
    yeah, about that...:) fixed the kudos...

I copy/pasted the copyright sign in the signature, but strange thing everything after the (c) was not displayed. and I didn't bother to check, I thought will just work.

~I listen to hardcore FIGHT songs when I visit the forum, just to get into the proper mood~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    edited May 2009
    Options
    dnbcos wrote: »
    if u want a finisher i'd recomend pitfall...
    does more damage for same channel/cast time and it has a chance to freeze... so if it doesn't finish them off u may have 3 seconds to finish them if they freeze...
    also the % chance of freeze isnt high but with demon mode it increases to 33%
    also if u r lvling earth mastery for sandstorm then pitfall would be the way to go XD
    also regarding lvling all fire skills only... earth resistance seems to me to be the hardest magic resistance for classes to get to a high resistance... fire resistance seems to take care of itself so for pve fire mastery would be fine but pvp if your just fire then u might have some trouble XD
    No. Pitfall doesn't suck as much as CoF. It's actually worth raising depending where you're going, and lv1 costs more MP than lv1 CoF. Pitfall sucks as a finisher. And if you don't finish off a mob with your finisher, you're ****.
  • Ursa - Dreamweaver
    edited May 2009
    Options
    lol, well I'm not sure how u cannot finish the mob with a finisher...but hey ... lol.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Magicz - Dreamweaver
    Magicz - Dreamweaver Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I use as a finisher and with pitfall depending on the element of the monster, mostly CoF though. Yes it is weak but its perfect where it is, no need to lvl it.
    Member of Dynasty! BTW RBorn died b:sad

ARCANE b:dirty > LIGHT b:surrender!!! b:angry b:angry b:angry

Current Goal: SPAM teh_fishey!

Highest PvE Attack: 22k on FB59 Drake Boss, non-sparked, non-critted, BM dragon, Veno Amped debuffed Sandstorm, lvl 62 Attack, ARCANE FTW!!! b:dirty
  • Llama - Lost City
    Llama - Lost City Posts: 641 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Its only good for heaven mages. It gives a 25% fire amp coupled with undine strike = your target takes almost 100% fire damage.'

That being said I am a heaven mage. Its still level 1 and I wont level it unless I get the book for it.
    Hey Elayne. Its illegal to harass underage girls. And CQ won the map without you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Gregen - Lost City
    edited May 2009
    Options
    dnbcos wrote: »

Well I do like pve, me being on a pvp server wasn't really my choice to begin with.
    Its only good for heaven mages. It gives a 25% fire amp coupled with undine strike = your target takes almost 100% fire damage.'

That being said I am a heaven mage. Its still level 1 and I wont level it unless I get the book for it.

I am actually going to the sage side, should be nice.

--

I still like CoF, it does that little extra damage that I like. One thing I noticed, though. As I'm sure you all know (at least the ones that have used it), CoF does initial amount of power stronger than the rest of the damage done in the next 15 seconds. I was grinding one monster only, and every amount of dmg after the initial burst was '432'. After a cleric buffed me, I had increased magic attack. While the initial burst was stronger, everything after that was still '432'. Why is that?
  • Rinnve - Lost City
    Rinnve - Lost City Posts: 473 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Lolnub. None of heaven debuff skills stacks with undine.
    --
    PWonline.ru, Sirius: Иней, 70 cleric - off.
    PWI, Lost City: Rinnve, 7X wiz (frozen);
    Allods Online, Раскол: Риннве, 2X occultist
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    edited May 2009
    Options
    He isn't talking about lowering fire resistance
  • Ursa - Dreamweaver
    edited May 2009
    Options
    must be the day of epic posts. To tell that to a lvl 96 wizz when you're in the 50s gotta be priceless

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Rinnve - Lost City
    Rinnve - Lost City Posts: 473 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    must be the day of epic posts. To tell that to a lvl 96 wizz when you're in the 50s gotta be priceless
    Hint 1: Llama is not the only 9X wiz, and people tend to share knowledge, not to keep it for themselves.
    Hint 2: This is not the first time when i'm in my 5X.

I was mistaken with CoF though, it adds 15% fire damage (but in all databases it adds only to CoF's damage, just making DoT a bit more powerful. has to test it for myself before i get to 89 on this char >_>)
    --
    PWonline.ru, Sirius: Иней, 70 cleric - off.
    PWI, Lost City: Rinnve, 7X wiz (frozen);
    Allods Online, Раскол: Риннве, 2X occultist
  • Pirodar - Sanctuary
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Something has just occurred to me. I've found this formula for damage reduction based on def stat and level. I've written about it here

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=2703601&postcount=26

The level part, as I mentioned there, is most probably the attacker's level. But As I said before, the DoT part is reduced differently. I tested it on Mothrans which were 2 levels below me. I have a suspicion that for DoT part the level in the formula is the target level.

My pet theory:

The skill does instant damage which is reduced as all other skills and sets some status on the target, but for that status, the information about the attacker is lost. That's why it does the same damage regardless if the attack comes form the ground or from the air and I suspect it is reduced as if it came from the mob itself - that is the level used in the reduction formula is the mob's level. If I'm right the reduction of the DoT part for lower level mobs is higher then for the instant part, but for higher level mobs it should be lower. And that means, that the total damage of Crown of Flames relative to the damage of pyrogram grows with the level of the target. If You are in a situation that You attack something of much higher level Crown of Flames may make a bit of sense.

I'd love to test it but I won't be able to do it for some time now, so I've decided to share this crazy idea with You. Maybe someone would like to do a little experiment.