What is fake bidding?

Makaio - Heavens Tear
Makaio - Heavens Tear Posts: 2 Arc User
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
HRM after reading other post sounds like GM's went bann crazy this week end on guild leaders. So what consitutes fake bidding?

i can only speak for the HT's server. But this week had some surpising bids. From defected (guild), Healmeplz ( guild), and solo. From my own sources I know all these guilds only have 1-2 people in them. Some of the guilds involved are manned by alts some by main characters. Now there is no rule against having alternate characters, and i dont know of any rules on how strong a guild has to be to try to TW.

Now the leaders of Enrage, defected, solo, and healmeplz are all banned. From talking to either these players or friends no one has gotten a response on why and really none of my business either. My question is WHAT makes a bid fake.

If i say hey Im bored Il make my own faction and bid on a land Im going to get banned just because? 500k to have some fun for a night why is that against the rules? can a gm please explain what is fake bidding so many members wont get banned?
Post edited by Makaio - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• WitchBurner - Sanctuary
    WitchBurner - Sanctuary Posts: 1,394 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Fake bidding is when a faction creates a fake faction in order to protect a territory from being attacked by a real faction.

They should implement a new faction system in which a faction must meet more requirements to bid on a territory. I suggest:

At least 40 members within the faction capable of fighting in the TW.
    At least 40 members within the faction at lvl 30 or higher.

This would discourage fake factions and fake bids being entered, it's not perfect but it's better than letting two people take a slot over a real faction. If you want to TW then just join a faction that does them or start a faction thats capable of lasting more than two minutes in a TW.
    Currently flying internet spaceships around dodixie, moving to amarr soon.

Send me a mail if you wanna ask/request anything

Sanctuary's retired king of wizards alongside queen Saintblu.
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    It's a subjective judgement call made by the GMs to try to work around flaws in the game's design that allows meta-gaming to trump strategy.

I don't envy the PWI GMs, because they can't get at the code in order to fix the TW bidding system, yet it's broken. And I really do like the rest of the game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
  • lamerboi2003
    lamerboi2003 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I like how the rules are all improvisation...nothing listed in the rulebook that relates to "fake bids". I even had a thought telling myself, what if someone from another faction harassed us(Enrage) and put down one of Enrage member's name as their new faction name? Ouch.
  • Axemanek - Heavens Tear
    Axemanek - Heavens Tear Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I like how the rules are all improvisation...nothing listed in the rulebook that relates to "fake bids". I even had a thought telling myself, what if someone from another faction harassed us and put down one of Enrage member's name as their new faction name? Ouch.

Wow that would hurt!
    I Want To Eat Estasi & Send Her Into Extasy!! b:victory

May The Force Not Be With You!
  • jemima
    jemima Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    As regards to your question of what if...nothing much.
    Last I checked defected and the rest were still fine with nothing happening to them.

Fake bidding is generally considered to be when a faction creates another guild, and this guild then bids upon the main faction, taking up a TW slot, so the parent guild can control how many TW's they get at once, making it easier for them.
  • Chappy_Happy - Heavens Tear
    Chappy_Happy - Heavens Tear Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I dont get it...
    What's wrong with 'fake bids'?
    Isnt that just strategy? It's like divide and conquer...kinda...I think...
    I think it's a good money sink. Less coins, less inflation that way.
  • lamerboi2003
    edited May 2009
    jemima wrote: »
    As regards to your question of what if...nothing much.
    Last I checked defected and the rest were still fine with nothing happening to them.

Fake bidding is generally considered to be when a faction creates another guild, and this guild then bids upon the main faction, taking up a TW slot, so the parent guild can control how many TW's they get at once, making it easier for them.

Last I heard was people getting banned without reason or evidence, only an assumption of a conspiracy going on.

I thought fake bidding only applies to protecting your own land o.O . For all I know, bidding with a rambo faction against Radiance for instance...doesn't that mean donating money to Rad? lol, I don't get the bans..
  • GetPurged - Heavens Tear
    GetPurged - Heavens Tear Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Also, when 2 faction leaders work in collusion to protect one another's territories
    from bids of factions with real intention of attacking.

Bid blocking, the colluding faction can trump any bid knowing their partner in crime
    will just repay them the refund so they can bid abnormally high amounts.
  • lamerboi2003
    edited May 2009
    Also, when 2 faction leaders work in collusion to protect one another's territories
    from bids of factions with real intention of attacking.

Bid blocking, the colluding faction can trump any bid knowing their partner in crime
    will just repay them the refund so they can bid abnormally high amounts.

Lol this scenario sounds familiar...
  • FangJingShan - Lost City
    FangJingShan - Lost City Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I dont get it...
    What's wrong with 'fake bids'?
    Isnt that just strategy? It's like divide and conquer...kinda...I think...
    I think it's a good money sink. Less coins, less inflation that way.

Strategy is what you use when you fight in a TW to win. Problem is that from any single land, there is 10 million or more income, which means the owning faction can place a bid of up to 9 million and still have profit while preventing anyone from bidding. Seeing as it is doubtful anyone will bid that much on something they might not win, they can keep their lands with no danger.

These fake bids were a big problem on My-En, but we actually have decent GM's here who are willing to make the TW system fair.
  • lamerboi2003
    edited May 2009
    Strategy is what you use when you fight in a TW to win. Problem is that from any single land, there is 10 million or more income, which means the owning faction can place a bid of up to 9 million and still have profit while preventing anyone from bidding. Seeing as it is doubtful anyone will bid that much on something they might not win, they can keep their lands with no danger.

These fake bids were a big problem on My-En, but we actually have decent GM's here who are willing to make the TW system fair.

What is fair? Curious
  • Tearvalerin - Sanctuary
    Tearvalerin - Sanctuary Posts: 3,787 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    there isnt really any "fair" anymore. now that there is established factions as the dominant ones, there really isnt TW for anyone except those who join these factions. such as the map on sanct, its 2 colors, 22 -18. these 2 factions have all the highest players on the server, even tryin mass rambo attacks on these guys, failure still is the number one result.

i think there should be a little bit of a new system for TW like periodical resets, instead of giving these factions free diamond studded, gold/platinum plated toilets to go potty in; in which they can wipe their butts with hundred dollar bills and not care.

what the F would you do with 240,000,000 coins every week, huh?
  • Aesthor - Heavens Tear
    Aesthor - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,845 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I wonder how many 10K refund territories got away with bidding on Enrage before defected's backfired joke came up and suddenly everyone was banned.

I mean srsly GMs, can you make it any less obvious that one or more of you have some kind of biased hate against Enrage? We don't mind the hate but a little less "Aaww 'sokay, you'll get Enrage in trouble cuz you QQ moar" would be great.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ಥ_ಥ MOAR.
    SkyKoC - How long is yours?
  • Nubble - Heavens Tear
    Nubble - Heavens Tear Posts: 201 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    i bidded on enrage week ago was going to fight alone :P but when TW started i couldnt enter in cause it said i havent been in guild 100hrs and i was leader and i also bidded ..but i didnt get banned but now ppl banned ? :o
  • Aesthor - Heavens Tear
    edited May 2009
    You're not ex-Enrage or Enrage so you're not good enough for ban.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ಥ_ಥ MOAR.
    edited May 2009
    Why all this hate towards Enrage?

• GetPurged - Heavens Tear
    GetPurged - Heavens Tear Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Lol this scenario sounds familiar...
    Lol, which time? And what server are you from?
    I'm gonna guess you're talking about the...
    "QueenBII/Charity" ban a month or so ago?
  • devil85
    devil85 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I also feel that GM has biased hate against larger faction. I really think they are not professional. GM in most games do not have individual name. They have GM0001 or GM0002. That is more professional imho. b:surrender
  • Tieresius - Lost City
    Tieresius - Lost City Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I don't compete in TW but as far as I see it, Fake Bidding is just another tactic to hold your territory.
    I don't understand how it's cheating. Granted it makes it difficult for the lower ranked guilds to climb the latter, it still seems fair to me.
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    devil85 wrote: »
    I also feel that GM has biased hate against larger faction. I really think they are not professional. GM in most games do not have individual name. They have GM0001 or GM0002. That is more professional imho. b:surrender
    Probably free games right? =/
    I don't compete in TW but as far as I see it, Fake Bidding is just another tactic to hold your territory.
    I don't understand how it's cheating. Granted it makes it difficult for the lower ranked guilds to climb the latter, it still seems fair to me.
    Truuee..... in a way. Maybe EBAY might give you an easier reference. If the seller makes several other accounts to jack up the bid price on the item you are currently bidding, its not illegal (probably) but it sure isnt right. Complaints will probably be made if it continues and actions will most likely be taken by the company side if enough complaints and proof are put in.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • Jayson_fall - Heavens Tear
    Jayson_fall - Heavens Tear Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Well, I think common sense should tell you it's wrong. Say TheFalls owned half the map (LOL!, as if...). Now we're making millions from owning these lands. We have soooo much gold, and we want to keep it that way.

So every time bidding comes up, I give a few of my members a few million gold, they go start factions, and outbid anyone that tries to attack TheFalls. Come battle time, no one actually attacks my land, and my millions are safe.

It's... Sad. Pathetic. Lame. And a whole bunch of other adjectives. Not only is it taking away any other guilds chance for a "fair fight" (isn't that what everyone seems to want so bad?) and a chance to own land, it's little more than bullies on a playground.

If I did something like that, I'd expect myself, and all the members that went and made these sub-guilds to be banned.

I don't care about much in a game. I'll never TW. But this? I dunno. It's so lame and unfair it just irks me. I usually have a lot of respect to for the big, land owning guilds. Once I got up into my 70's, I was going to try to find one to join. But seeing this kind of dumb behavior, I think the two person tiny guild I started for the heck of it will be my home for a LONG time.
  • Lindt - Harshlands
    Lindt - Harshlands Posts: 386 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I consider fake bidding to be any bid made soley to block another faction from bidding on that land when the faction blocking the bid has no intention to fight.

So if I own a faction like hmmm... lets name it Concept, and I just so happen to like the large faction that we'll name LastStand. So, some faction goes to attack this LS and I don't want them to lose. I make sure to outbid that faction so that LS doesn't get attacked and then no show to the TW cuz i really don't wanna take their land.

So yeah, any bid blocking with no intention of actually doing the TW is a fake bid in my book.
  • Mothergoose - Sanctuary
    Mothergoose - Sanctuary Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    They should just reset the entire map every 2 month or so. This keeps competition going, things interesting, and impact of fake bidding minimal. If all of game's content, including TW, and pve TW, is open to everyone, instead of just a select few individuals among countless thousands, it'll help the community grow.
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    They should just reset the entire map every 2 month or so. This keeps competition going, things interesting, and impact of fake bidding minimal. If all of game's content, including TW, and pve TW, is open to everyone, instead of just a select few individuals among countless thousands, it'll help the community grow.

Resets are bad. However, I think if they changed so TWs are 24/7 and you get 15 minutes notice would be enough to make the map change alot on a regular basis.

That would mean if you want to control most of the map, you have to be able to defend them as well, on a regular basis, not just weekends for a couple of hours.
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
    edited May 2009

great idea mate =D

• FangJingShan - Lost City
    FangJingShan - Lost City Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    What is fair? Curious

I suppose fair was a poor choice of words on my part. However, as far as the context I meant it in, fair would be allowing any guild to bid on a territory so long as the bidding guild is not run by an alternate character or account of a person within the defending guild. The bidding guild must also not have received funds to place this bid by the defending guild, nor may there be any agreement between two guilds on the map on defending each other's territories by bidding on each with no intention of taking it. I'm sure I probably left out something, but I am sure you understand what I meant in context.
    there isnt really any "fair" anymore. now that there is established factions as the dominant ones, there really isnt TW for anyone except those who join these factions. such as the map on sanct, its 2 colors, 22 -18. these 2 factions have all the highest players on the server, even tryin mass rambo attacks on these guys, failure still is the number one result.

i think there should be a little bit of a new system for TW like periodical resets, instead of giving these factions free diamond studded, gold/platinum plated toilets to go potty in; in which they can wipe their butts with hundred dollar bills and not care.

what the F would you do with 240,000,000 coins every week, huh?

There is already a thread in suggestions forums with a poll attached for this. I myself have already suggested an annual reset of the map so every guild that starts after the reset has a chance to take the entire map, after which there will be another reset soon.

Others have also suggested a limit on territories, which I do not agree with unless there is a further expansion of the map to which as many as 16 guilds could hold land with a limit of 5 territories per guild. I know that this is wishful thinking, but I agree that no guild which owns every piece of land needs 520 million/week.

Is it fair to ask that a guild which has existed since the beginning of the server be punished by having to let other guilds have lands? Of course not, I would never agree to that and I'm certain you and many other would not. However, a reset offers a chance for every guild, regardless of how new they are, to get some land at some point in time.

By the way Deceptistar, loved that comparison to EBay. 1UP for you.
  • Aesthor - Heavens Tear
    edited May 2009
    Annual is too long. You realize of course that with all this QQ about faction domination on the map PWI hasn't even been out for 1 full year yet right?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ಥ_ಥ MOAR.
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    The rules as they currently stand reward those who have no intention of fighting.

It' not that they aren't fair, since anybody can use the same tactic, it's that they go directly against the spirit of what TW is supposed to be about. ie. You're supposed to be fighting over territories with victory or defeat being determined on the battlefield.

TW 80-on-80 battles are promoted as one of the big features of Perfect World, yet in reality the TW system is more about manipulating the bidding system so that actual TW does not take place. It's "fair", but it's not what the designers intended, nor what most players actually want to play.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    Zoe - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,814 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    The rules as they currently stand reward those who have no intention of fighting.

It' not that they aren't fair, since anybody can use the same tactic, it's that they go directly against the spirit of what TW is supposed to be about. ie. You're supposed to be fighting over territories with victory or defeat being determined on the battlefield.

TW 80-on-80 battles are promoted as one of the big features of Perfect World, yet in reality the TW system is more about manipulating the bidding system so that actual TW does not take place. It's "fair", but it's not what the designers intended, nor what most players actually want to play.

This is why the system needs a change. No more money for having land. It's just about greed not the pvp and the pvp is the entire point.
    Main characters
    Celestial Sage Venomancer Zoe - 100
    Sage Barbarian Malego - 91
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Truuee..... in a way. Maybe EBAY might give you an easier reference. If the seller makes several other accounts to jack up the bid price on the item you are currently bidding, its not illegal (probably) but it sure isnt right. Complaints will probably be made if it continues and actions will most likely be taken by the company side if enough complaints and proof are put in.
    Remember when gas prices were super-high last year? There's speculation that what you describe above is what some oil producers were doing. The bids on oil contracts were anonymous, and speculation is that some sellers were actually bidding on their own contracts to help drive up the price. If they won the contract, no big deal since they already possessed the oil. They just re-listed it on the market. If they didn't win, they successfully drove up the price.

Oil prices came crashing down within weeks of the U.S. passing a law making these sorts of anonymous bids illegal. There's still no concrete proof that this was what was going on. But the timing of it all is incredibly suspicious.

Resets are bad. However, I think if they changed so TWs are 24/7 and you get 15 minutes notice would be enough to make the map change alot on a regular basis.
    Resets are the way professional sports handles the problem. After a certain amount of time on top (usually with a playoff to determine the "best" team for that cycle), the winners get a trophy and commemorative ring, and their names engraved in the recordbooks. Then everything is reset and everyone starts over with the same standing.
    I'm curious why TW has to be limited to just two factions. If a half dozen factions want to team up to attack a territory, why can't they? This is probably getting into the design of TW, but IMHO the defender should get bonuses which make it easier to defend. Strategically, the military rule of thumb is that the attacker needs to outnumber the defender 3:1 to have even odds of winning. But the tradeoff for that should be that they can be attacked by multiple factions. Allow the top 3 (or 4, or 5, or 6) bidders to enter the TW against the defenders.

To prevent infighting, set up a two-tiered goal system. First the defenders have to be defeated. Then (if successful), a short break before the winners have to fight each other to determine who gets the territory. I think a system where the territories change hands every week would be much more interesting than the static, slow changes we have right now. And like I said above, the defenders would still be given an advantage for defending.