Need some help choosing a cleric build

Sylexuszyrac - Lost City
Sylexuszyrac - Lost City Posts: 4 Arc User
edited May 2009 in Cleric
Hello everyone, I am converting to a cleric after getting buttraped by them on my archer (maybe cause im not a very good archer)

anyways, I've been reading some guides, but I want a build that's pretty much: 75% PvP, 25% PvE

I was thinking LA, but then I was thinking I should go FAC since i'll be grouped with my friends most of my time. I also heard balance build is... well-rounded but I dont know how decent it is in both PvE and PvP

any help? please present evidence
Post edited by Sylexuszyrac - Lost City on

Comments

• Aneemah - Heavens Tear
    Aneemah - Heavens Tear Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Full int gets you fast up till 60 PvE-vise, where you start getting TT weapons, and can afford the extra points in Vit to boost HP (that is, of course, if you stay loyal to the arcane robes), which helps you surviving and running the AoE stuff till 90 (though the 80+/-90 are the physical levels, so LA wil certainly fare well). For 90+, where everything goes by the myth of refinement and sharding, it is "advised" to go full int again, and enjoy the content once again...

Now, from 30+ constant PK condition, ypou either adapt to vit build to survive the dmg (yet suffer on defense), or to LA to sustain the phys dmg (yet suffer on health), but what you really build there is your own creation, and shouldn't be standardized by someone else thoughts and ideals...
  • Mikel_oru - Sanctuary
    Mikel_oru - Sanctuary Posts: 610 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    LA is purely made for PvP but it will really suck till you're able to efford auction house items, that means till about lvl45 after that get items with many hp bonuses and use only hp shards on your armors, also as LA you have enough str to use some high lvl helmets that can give you really nice hp bonuses. I've been LA for as long as I can remember and I always had more hp than any other Cleric my lvl, even now my hp is 2400, something that you see on 7x Clerics.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sylexuszyrac - Lost City
    edited May 2009
    Full int gets you fast up till 60 PvE-vise, where you start getting TT weapons, and can afford the extra points in Vit to boost HP (that is, of course, if you stay loyal to the arcane robes), which helps you surviving and running the AoE stuff till 90 (though the 80+/-90 are the physical levels, so LA wil certainly fare well). For 90+, where everything goes by the myth of refinement and sharding, it is "advised" to go full int again, and enjoy the content once again...

Now, from 30+ constant PK condition, ypou either adapt to vit build to survive the dmg (yet suffer on defense), or to LA to sustain the phys dmg (yet suffer on health), but what you really build there is your own creation, and shouldn't be standardized by someone else thoughts and ideals...

that's helpful, but leaves me with some questions:

1) Would the defense boost of LA be superior than the HP boost of Vit?
    2) Will I have to use stat resets?
    3) Im not going to be needing zen right?
    4) I was wondering if I could do a LA and vit build (4int, 2 on all other stats) would I suffer too much damage loss from this?
  • Aneemah - Heavens Tear
    edited May 2009
    that's helpful, but leaves me with some questions:

1) Would the defense boost of LA be superior than the HP boost of Vit?
    2) Will I have to use stat resets?
    3) Im not going to be needing zen right?
    4) I was wondering if I could do a LA and vit build (4int, 2 on all other stats) would I suffer too much damage loss from this?

1) Honest answer = "depends"; in PvE, there isn't much to begin with LA, as you either kite or spam heal Ironheart to sustain your life, therefore LA helps you "only with" physical (especially archer) mobs, but anything else AA does as well (if not better) than LA. For PvP, I have no real experience in it, but from the experience of others, it can save you from melees and archers for a few more hits, drains less on plume shell, and when refined gives more HP bonus than AA. If I has to choose between these two, I'd go for vit as it helps you endure both magic and physical, while LA grants you superior phys def and limited mag to 3 per lvl for heal/attack.

2) Again "depends". Generally if you are satisfied with what you have, you won't be needing it. But, chances are big that you will have to adapt at some point, and reassign between vit, mag and dex (as I said, full int till 60 is best for leveling, there you either gain some vit or go LA for open PK, therefore restating is needed if you follow this case).

3) Did you mean here "zen as currency" or "z(h)en as method to level"? If it's the first, no, you won't be needing external money to buy from the Cash Shop, as you can buy Gold (currency that zen turns into then transferred to PW) from Auction House, thus in theory "you won't be needing zen". as for Zhen leveling, that is a leveling option, and not the only "effective" one after 70+.

4) Problem here is, you need 3 mag per level to keep with the current magic weapon. For armor, it goes 1 str 1 dex every lvl for LA, and 1 str 5 mag every 2 lvls for AA. An effective LA build is 2 str 2 dex 6 mag every 2 lvls, and for AA its 1 str 6 mag 3 xxx ( xxx meant you can distribute them the way you like between mag and vit ). Thus, no, gimping mag THAT much will gimp your damage to the point where you have to fight with lesser weapons, and fall much in heal/dmg output against your fellow clerics of the same level.
    ---
    4a) Yet, hypothetically, when you reach 60+, you'll go with one woapon for about 9 or 10 levels, and at that point, such a build could be possible, but still under the label of "Experimental"...

My apologies if I am again not clear on these points, but I intentionally avoid to say "this is right and this isn't", so make up your mind and choose for your own good...

Best of luck, and have fun before everything else!!!

P.S.
    @Mikel, please enlighten us about the LA conditions in the range of 20 to 60 leveling experiences, as that's the only part where I don't understand the survivability of the LA build...
  • Mikel_oru - Sanctuary
    edited May 2009
    P.S.
    @Mikel, please enlighten us about the LA conditions in the range of 20 to 60 leveling experiences, as that's the only part where I don't understand the survivability of the LA build...

LA has about 60% more phy def and 30% less mag def than robes (overall defence is highter than robes).
    Almost all mobs from 1 to 62 are physical, so LA can take more hits than a robe and that's all there is to it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Aneemah - Heavens Tear
    edited May 2009
    LA has about 60% more phy def and 30% less mag def than robes (overall defence is highter than robes).
    Almost all mobs from 1 to 62 are physical, so LA can take more hits than a robe and that's all there is to it.

So, you "tank", "evade" or "kite" the mobs?
  • Mikel_oru - Sanctuary
    edited May 2009
    So, you "tank", "evade" or "kite" the mobs?

Tank, kiting only when I get ganged.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Aneemah - Heavens Tear
    edited May 2009
    Tank, kiting only when I get ganged.

Interesting...

sorry to turn this into an "interrogation thread" lol, but i need to ask 2 more questions....

Were you LA since the beginning? And, if you remember, how did you pass the "hell levels" for clerics at 15+ to 20? Asking because all skills are too low to actually maintain a Tank/Kite tactic there...
  • Mikel_oru - Sanctuary
    edited May 2009
    Interesting...

sorry to turn this into an "interrogation thread" lol, but i need to ask 2 more questions....

Were you LA since the beginning? And, if you remember, how did you pass the "hell levels" for clerics at 15+ to 20? Asking because all skills are too low to actually maintain a Tank/Kite tactic there...

Err the lvls I had trouble with were from 21 to 30 and that was because of lag, my pc is old and there are many players around these areas (around arch, especially on the west of it) so my problems had nothing to do with the mobs.
    And yes I was LA from the beginning, I play as robed on my Wizard but then again I was always interested in PvP, I would be playing in a PvP server if I didn't have friends in Sanctuary (though I do like the fact that I can play in peace unless I decide otherwise)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Aneemah - Heavens Tear
    edited May 2009
    All right... 21-25 isn't that problematic as you can party and "abuse" your position, while at 25-30 you get to know the metal and fire skeletons that can get nasty. 30+, archer mobs yes, I see the advantage of LA, 37+, starts the grind on vipions where you actually build mag for fast kill, but that is again personal preference. Other mobs go for phys, and earth element... Yes, both can survive, just need to adapt...
  • Sylexuszyrac - Lost City
    edited May 2009
    1) Honest answer = "depends"; in PvE, there isn't much to begin with LA, as you either kite or spam heal Ironheart to sustain your life, therefore LA helps you "only with" physical (especially archer) mobs, but anything else AA does as well (if not better) than LA. For PvP, I have no real experience in it, but from the experience of others, it can save you from melees and archers for a few more hits, drains less on plume shell, and when refined gives more HP bonus than AA. If I has to choose between these two, I'd go for vit as it helps you endure both magic and physical, while LA grants you superior phys def and limited mag to 3 per lvl for heal/attack.

2) Again "depends". Generally if you are satisfied with what you have, you won't be needing it. But, chances are big that you will have to adapt at some point, and reassign between vit, mag and dex (as I said, full int till 60 is best for leveling, there you either gain some vit or go LA for open PK, therefore restating is needed if you follow this case).

3) Did you mean here "zen as currency" or "z(h)en as method to level"? If it's the first, no, you won't be needing external money to buy from the Cash Shop, as you can buy Gold (currency that zen turns into then transferred to PW) from Auction House, thus in theory "you won't be needing zen". as for Zhen leveling, that is a leveling option, and not the only "effective" one after 70+.

4) Problem here is, you need 3 mag per level to keep with the current magic weapon. For armor, it goes 1 str 1 dex every lvl for LA, and 1 str 5 mag every 2 lvls for AA. An effective LA build is 2 str 2 dex 6 mag every 2 lvls, and for AA its 1 str 6 mag 3 xxx ( xxx meant you can distribute them the way you like between mag and vit ). Thus, no, gimping mag THAT much will gimp your damage to the point where you have to fight with lesser weapons, and fall much in heal/dmg output against your fellow clerics of the same level.
    ---
    4a) Yet, hypothetically, when you reach 60+, you'll go with one woapon for about 9 or 10 levels, and at that point, such a build could be possible, but still under the label of "Experimental"...

My apologies if I am again not clear on these points, but I intentionally avoid to say "this is right and this isn't", so make up your mind and choose for your own good...

Best of luck, and have fun before everything else!!!

P.S.

that was very informative and helpful, thanks a bunch

but now I do have some replies to your replies

1) yeah, I was thinking HP would help me more than defense

2) how much do stat resets cost?

3) What is Zhen exactly?

4) how much vit should I have at 60?
  • Mikel_oru - Sanctuary
    edited May 2009

True

It depends just check cash shop and keep in mind that 1 gold = about 110k coins
    3) What is Zhen exactly?

Partying with other players (usually BM or Barb) that go around killing mobs with their aoe attacks and you heal them or support them at DD etc. (depends on the class)

I had 2200 I think, that's excelent hp for that lvl.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Aneemah - Heavens Tear
    edited May 2009
    that was very informative and helpful, thanks a bunch

but now I do have some replies to your replies

3) What is Zhen exactly?
    parti is

1) the majority says so, but rebels will always say otherwise xD

2) There are 2 sets of 3g and 5g each, the 3g ones let you reset either 10 points of 1 attribute (giving 10 unspent), or 5 points of each attribute (giving 20 {or less} unspent). the 5g ones do 50 for one attribute or 25 from all 4.

3) Zhen party is a "hot spot" model farming party, where 1 cleric starts regeneration aura, 2 DDs start their AoE besides the cleric (wizard or archer), and 2 lurers who bring the instant aggoro mobs into the AoE, and get them a painful death. That way, Cleric heals all, DDs kill all, and lures bring mobs to the "hot spot". Gets the group a lots of XP when a XP scroll is put on, and charms to make it go for a hour or 2...

4) If you are resetting, begin with 50 vit at 60, and a point or 2 to get somewhere between 75 and 100 at 80+ (the actual amount varies for your preference). Going beyond 100 I think isn't the best choice, but... <.<
  • SyIexus - Harshlands
    SyIexus - Harshlands Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    would vit = my level or half my level work?

(this is my cleric :D)
  • Mikel_oru - Sanctuary
    edited May 2009
    would vit = my level or half my level work?

(this is my cleric :D)

You can pick: 1str, 1vit 8mag/1str 2vit 7mag/1str 3vit 6mag every two lvls. Pick the one you like the most, the advantages and dissadvantages of each are quite obvious, last one has much more hp but also much lower attack the first one has more attack and not as much hp, the one in midle is the balance between.

I always liked balance...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Samalia - Sanctuary
    Samalia - Sanctuary Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    go pure intelligence, its the only way to go.

9 magic 1 str every 2 lvs, no questions asked
  • SyIexus - Harshlands
    SyIexus - Harshlands Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2009

and survive how?
  • missqq
    missqq Posts: 277 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    survive by kiting with cyclone.
    pure build (9 mag 1 str) is best way to go until 60.
    when you hit 60 start pumping vit
  • Mikel_oru - Sanctuary
    edited May 2009

missqq wrote: »
    survive by kiting with cyclone.
    pure build (9 mag 1 str) is best way to go until 60.
    when you hit 60 start pumping vit

You both read his first post.
    He is interested in PvP not in killing mobs that will not cause any trouble with any kind of build anyways.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DukesCleric - Sanctuary
    DukesCleric - Sanctuary Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    wat attributes should i lvl up each lvl?
  • Mikel_oru - Sanctuary
    edited May 2009
    wat attributes should i lvl up each lvl?

Like we said above 1str and 6mag every 2 lvls is the must-have (minimun requirements for robes and weapons) the rest of the points you can put on vit in whatever way you like, some might wanna have more hp so they will put the rest of the points on vit, others might want more attack so they will add to mag etc. The only atribute you should leave alone is dex, you won't need it at all unless you're a Light Armor build.
    If you are Light Armor build then you need 1str, 1dex and 3mag each lvl (nothing on vit)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]