Give us male genies!

Comments

• Taraleth - Lost City
    Taraleth - Lost City Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I am just curious about something. Given the plenitude of lithe, well-endowed female models that comprise the bulk of advertisements and entertainment, and who provide a wonderful body image for disillusioning males and disenchanting females, how many female avatars do you see that are...well...what one might call normal image-wise. You do have control over the looks of your character, and the proportions as well. So why does every single female character reflect the brainwashed images which everyone is complaining about. I am just curious, did anyone create, what might be called, an ugly avatar for a female or male char?

As a side note I realize the point of this post was a call for equality and not simply a complaint concerning the portrayal of females in the game. I just wonder if one even considers making a 'plain' avatar instead of a godly, sexy pin-up model. Somehow I don't think anyone does...
  • Surfer_Rosa - Sanctuary
    Surfer_Rosa - Sanctuary Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I hardly think more than a few players would be attracted to playing ugly chars, but some of us did customize ours to be more of the "average" or "next door" type, of which there are plenty. I'm well aware beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and in my case it is because of many personal associations that i would consider certain factions or body types more attractive than the norm imposed to us by the media which, i suspect, may very well be the case for others making a similar choice.
    To me, no woman will ever look more beautiful than when she is pregnant, although it certainly required of me much in the way of maturity and personal growth to understand this. I wouldn't of course ever consider the idea of designing a pregnant looking char as, the esential quality from which this beauty derives being missing, this would result but in a fetishist model. Characters are idealized images as much as they are representations of ourselves, and striking a balance in between both is what makes customization something far more interesting than simply playing dress up with digital dolls.
  • Oldbear - Sanctuary
    Oldbear - Sanctuary Posts: 486 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I just had a whacky idea- why don't you take a male character and customize it into female shape. with face you can do pretty good job with **** and stuff it get's a bit complicated. and you can definitely make him/her skinny enough.

I don't know has it been done before but give it a shot
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I am just curious, did anyone create, what might be called, an ugly avatar for a female or male char?

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/7489/20090312014031.jpg

Does that answer your question? b:chuckle
  • koukou
    koukou Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    If they had intended them to be based on Arabic Mythology, they would have called them jinni which is specific to Arabic mythology. The word genie comes from the French genie* which comes from the Latin genius which means guardian spirit.

Not completely true...

In french, "genie" can also be the name for the arabic mythos djinns.

Genie is also an english word, btw...
  • Krel - Heavens Tear
    Krel - Heavens Tear Posts: 178 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    If you girls want eyecandy come visit me on heavens tear but I warn you all my wife is very protective over me LOL.I consider myself a handsome genie to do whatever command she wishes!!!!!!!
    I luv my luvsalotb:dirty

Fear Me:I will and can unleash my true demon forum troll from at anytime..so beware.

Im A wizzie with godly looks and your all jealousb:bye
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I always thought Male Genies were called "Gins" or "Jins" anyway, I agree there should be Male Venos, and Female Barbarians. which has had me wondering, how do Venomancers or Barbs procreate? and it came to me, they transform into their fox, or tiger forms, and do the wild thing that way.

Ok, back to the topic at hand, Nothing wrong with females wanting to have some eye candy of their own, 2 solutions, the Devs, can add Male Jins, and/or make sexier clothing for male toons, in boutique, Can you imagine an elf in a speedo, OMG! I shudder at the idea.

G-String swimsuit bikini bottoms for male elfs..... Oh god, I can't make that mental picture go away...
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • Smexxyfox - Heavens Tear
    Smexxyfox - Heavens Tear Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Omg I wana see a barb in a speedo now!
  • Burn_ur_ass - Sanctuary
    Burn_ur_ass - Sanctuary Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Someone was saying it is **** to see a man with a male genie with him.... well if u see a man with a female genie wouldnt that be **** aswell? oh no w8 thats peter pan style
    Why cant we make male venos? why cant we make female barbs? xD
    Well if they chose to put those with restrictions why not the genies aswell?
    But yeah a male genie would be great, infact there should be male and female so we could choose...
    I dont really care (even though it wouldnt be a bad idea) if they do it or not. im a girl and i run a Barb xD (not that it is attractive but its a cute furball, rather that then see my char running around naked with overwelming ****)
    Saving Ladies...For the Old Fashioned Joy of Killing....

hope the only lady u wanna save is me sethie... b:cute
  • mbrunestud
    mbrunestud Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    small glittery humanoids with butterfly wings are not often portrayed to be male.

fairy used to also mean goblin, gnomes. so i guess if that's what you want floating around you, eye candy ftw
  • anavastia
    anavastia Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    O.o Wouldn't this be more of a suggestion thread? ^ ^ Also not to be rude but you don't have to dress your veno like a prostitute there are lots of clothing choices. The funny thing is in character customization you can make her **** small or large. It's your choice to make your character eye candy or not. No need to change the veno it's like any other female character in the game. Most veno's i know wear arcane robes anyway. Light armor is mostly revealing but in the archer's defense he/she wouldn't be all that fast if he was lugging around so much clothing. Um i thought male regular armor was fitted too.

Also i think pw does do a lot for their women players. I for one am a girl and I love the idea of pretty fairies. I think the game targets us girls too like the flowers, weddings, the boutique as females have lots of clothing options more than men, the cutesy animals are my favorite, and some of the flying mounts as well as the regular ones are geared towards female. My point being is this, in the game you'll find what you are looking for. Well this goes for real life too. If all you search for in life is the negative and bad then that is all u will find. The same can be said for this game. If you look for the good in something then the same affect applies.

PW is a very wonderful game that hasn't been out all that long. It tries to appeal to a large genre, mainly male because this is the group that mostly plays. If the devs made the game too girly then they would lose a large portion of consumers which could end in us not being able to play at all.

Besides it's just a game not everything needs to be politically correct just sit back, relax, and enjoy it. That's one of society down falls now, we just can't ever enjoy something fun without tearing it down and ruining it.
  • Murugan - Lost City
    Murugan - Lost City Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Everyone's arguments here are pointless.

If you had properly read what this thread was about, you would not oppose it. She isn't asking for ALL the genies to be male, she is asking for the OPTION to have a male genie. This isn't and outlandish request, and I agree that if someone want's a male genie, they should have one. Girls are have already been screwed over by the "embrace" function, and the skimpy armor given to them is probably not their favorite (rather, it just creates more [mostly creepy] males that have female characters). Not allowing them to have male genies could make them feel more alienated.
  • anavastia
    edited May 2009
    My comment is about the thread as a whole and yes I read every single comment on here. I am not saying that it is a bad idea. She can put it in as a suggestion to the dev's however, my point and my opinion is that the game is generated towards females too, much more than most mmorpg's that I have played. Whose main target is only males. This one at least tries to appease to the female genre. Being a new game it needs time for development.

You can't appease everyone without offending someone these days is my point. Everything has to be politically correct, and in the end lots of things just get ruined. This game is designed after chinese folk novel (sorry if that is wrong this is only from my understanding) it's not going to be politically correct for anyone cause it's based on a story.

I am a girl i don't feel alienated at all, again my view of the game is different. I get lot's of help, I have lots of fun playing. Lol male eye candy is an added bonus but there is a lot around. Again my point being this if you take a different look at the game maybe you won't feel alienated either. Not that i am saying people have to change, it's just a suggestion.
  • Cgl_ifrit - Harshlands
    Cgl_ifrit - Harshlands Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    What's wrong with female genies? Or what exactly do you intend to use your genie for that it HAS to be male?

Some ones got plans for her genie b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] u people make me stupid
  • OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear
    OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    ...and the skimpy armor given to them is probably not their favorite (rather, it just creates more [mostly creepy] males that have female characters)....

Are you trying to imply that guys only create female characters because of skimpy armor?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Water - Harshlands
    Water - Harshlands Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I was looking over various pictures and such from the upcoming expansion. And what struck me is that each and every genie is... female. I mean, seriously?!? Whatever happened to the old arabian myths of the genie being a dominantly MALE creature?

The Sage/Demon fairy is already female, why can't we have just ONE male genie? For goodness sake, there's actually -actual- females playing this game... Why can't -we- get something nice made for us?

So I'd very much like a little cute male genie to follow me around, kthxbai. b:thanks

Too bad this game is Chinese and not Arabian. Not much they can do about it. It's all up to the game developers.

Thought I'd throw that out there.
    What's in my pocket, dawg? Big face hundreds!
    Just left the mall; bought everything that I wanted
    I'm Kinda mad with you haters, I'm really dissapointed.
    'Cause what you didn't tell the people is I got plenty money!b:cool (Plenty money ingame that is :3)
  • Blade_Wolfe - Heavens Tear
    Blade_Wolfe - Heavens Tear Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I am just curious about something. Given the plenitude of lithe, well-endowed female models that comprise the bulk of advertisements and entertainment, and who provide a wonderful body image for disillusioning males and disenchanting females, how many female avatars do you see that are...well...what one might call normal image-wise. You do have control over the looks of your character, and the proportions as well. So why does every single female character reflect the brainwashed images which everyone is complaining about. I am just curious, did anyone create, what might be called, an ugly avatar for a female or male char?

As a side note I realize the point of this post was a call for equality and not simply a complaint concerning the portrayal of females in the game. I just wonder if one even considers making a 'plain' avatar instead of a godly, sexy pin-up model. Somehow I don't think anyone does...

in Heavens Tear we got IamUGLY

and a few other interesting ones

and trust me... they fit the name..
  • Ladydeadlock - Heavens Tear
    Ladydeadlock - Heavens Tear Posts: 366 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    What's wrong with female genies? Or what exactly do you intend to use your genie for that it HAS to be male?

b:chuckleb:chuckleb:chuckle

Heck... I wouldnt want a male genie even though im a female...
    *Semi retired*
  • XAnonymousx - Heavens Tear
    XAnonymousx - Heavens Tear Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    i think male genies would be pretty b:cute
  • AinaMizuako - Sanctuary
    AinaMizuako - Sanctuary Posts: 1,041 Arc User
    edited May 2009

If you had properly read what this thread was about, you would not oppose it. She isn't asking for ALL the genies to be male, she is asking for the OPTION to have a male genie. This isn't and outlandish request, and I agree that if someone want's a male genie, they should have one. Girls are have already been screwed over by the "embrace" function, and the skimpy armor given to them is probably not their favorite (rather, it just creates more [mostly creepy] males that have female characters). Not allowing them to have male genies could make them feel more alienated.

Agreed.

It still kinda irritates me that I have to be male just to give someone a ride to a place, and as all my characters are female.. well. Yeah. The skimpy armor doesn't bother me as much (though I bought pants so I didn't have to see my Veno's panties whenever I have to go swimming or whatever) It was funny the first few minutes but it got old.

I also wish that Untamed classes weren't so restrictive. Male Venos and female Barbs would be a nice and welcomed change to me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    oh look, i'm inactive again.

b> leviciti b:cry
  • XAnonymousx - Heavens Tear
    XAnonymousx - Heavens Tear Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    yea i would so liket to see a male veno with cute wings, cat ears, bunny ears etc. on their heads and a nice tale, or a big tough furry female barb b:victory

this is how a female tiger barb might look b:victory --> http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f204/nakashimo_masato/nekoavatar.jpg
  • anavastia
    edited May 2009
    okay we're drifting off topic here.

The thread is about a girl wanting a male genie, because she doesn't see enough male eye candy. I think one it is a good idea put it in to the dev's as a suggestion. However, don't get discouraged the game just came out. They are still releasing a lot of things so who knows in the future somethings might pop up.

And im going to say this too, PW is it own unique game. It's based on the storyline that they want to give to their players. Don't take apart the uniqueness of the game then it will just be a boring mmorpg. How come these games can be released in Asia and they have fun but it comes out in the us and we criticize it to death. Yeesh be happy you even have this game to play. and let me add one last comment.

It's just a game!. That's it. Not real life. I'll say it again It's just a game!
    You have every right to play and dress how u want. You don't like what some wears, or don't like the game in general you know what to do.
  • Hisoki - Heavens Tear
    Hisoki - Heavens Tear Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I have a surgestion for everyone.

do as i do, sit down (or lay down what ever you chose.. ahhh yes.. the freedom of chosing, such a wonderfull thing *dreamy look* anyway..) okay now relax your arms, your shoulders. feel your heart beat going through your whole body. are you relaxing now? okay, now thing of Perfect World and all the things you disagree on or dislike or whatever negative things you have about it. are you thinking about it now? okay.. now here comes the hard part. dont be scared. make sure your relaxed just to be sure.. okay.. here it comes, repeat after me over and over again.

It's just a game, it's just a game, it's just a game.
  • Miru_yume - Lost City
    Miru_yume - Lost City Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    hahaha
    i was about to get flustered by all this argueing, and then i read ure post Hisoki :3
    i acctualy did that while reading and at the end i lol'd
    ^_^
    but definately, it's just a game people :p
    besides, im a girl, i make all my characters with nearly the smallest chest settings.
    my point is: u have options, u dont have to make it eye-candy for some closet-pervert. :3

back on topic:
    i think putting in an option for male genies would be great, but it's NOT gonna be any GM's priority. so i wouldnt be expecting it soon, if at all.

and this game really is geared towards women as well, i mean, pretty flowers, love stories mixed in with the plot, oh-so-damn-cute-all-class-baby-pets (gave u seen that flying piglet? ^_^), weddings, and all kinds of stuff :3

i mean, my faction is about 65% made up of real female players.

remember: flying piglet =^_^=
  • Miru_yume - Lost City
    Miru_yume - Lost City Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2009

Hi Muru!! :3
    i think we're sorta on opposite sides of this :p
    and ure the guy, and im the girl lol
    odd :3

thanks for standing up for my gender though!
    i loves u Muru-sama ^_^
  • forgottonwolf
    forgottonwolf Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Got a point.
    Hey, im a guy. I like chicks. Why do you think i took ballet? Because of the work, no. Because there where a bunch of hot girls in tights b:dirty WOOO!

But, nonetheless, i understand your point.
    This game DOES seem to have an assload of male sex-appeal, and hardly any female. My proof: Front pages. Whats their? Venomancers, Venomancers, Venomancers (AKA partial furries in panties).
    I would agree that the Devs need to put a little more female sex-appeal (sure, theres some ****, but not every gamer-chick whants to run around in their panties, am i right?), and maybe some more options for male/female (IE Male Veno, Female Barb).
    And, last but not least, more non-skimpy outfits (im not arguing, there hot, but i feel bad knowing half the chicks who pay this game have to run around in clothes that probably have a "Property Of Playboy" tag on the back). I mean, keep the skimpy, add more less-"exposed" clothing.

Alright, im good now, i like the fact that i can understand chicks, lolz.
    Love,
    Mr.N
  • Zephyrx - Lost City
    Zephyrx - Lost City Posts: 1,563 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Got a point.
    Hey, im a guy. I like chicks. Why do you think i took ballet? Because of the work, no. Because there where a bunch of hot girls in tights b:dirty WOOO!

But, nonetheless, i understand your point.
    This game DOES seem to have an assload of male sex-appeal, and hardly any female. My proof: Front pages. Whats their? Venomancers, Venomancers, Venomancers (AKA partial furries in panties).
    I would agree that the Devs need to put a little more female sex-appeal (sure, theres some ****, but not every gamer-chick whants to run around in their panties, am i right?), and maybe some more options for male/female (IE Male Veno, Female Barb).
    And, last but not least, more non-skimpy outfits (im not arguing, there hot, but i feel bad knowing half the chicks who pay this game have to run around in clothes that probably have a "Property Of Playboy" tag on the back). I mean, keep the skimpy, add more less-"exposed" clothing.

Alright, im good now, i like the fact that i can understand chicks, lolz.
    Love,
    Mr.N

I like you, Mr.N, I'm Mr.Z
    Position: Professional Forum Troll
    Position Details: Be able to incite people to flames and perform miracles such as telling people what's right and what's wrong. Be able to dish out flames to other people so fire extinguishers are needed to put out the flames. Most of all, giving others a piece of reality.

ZephyrX is better than crack... he's your Anti-Drug
  • OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear
    OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    anavastia wrote: »
    okay we're drifting off topic here.

The thread is about a girl wanting a male genie, because she doesn't see enough male eye candy. I think one it is a good idea put it in to the dev's as a suggestion. However, don't get discouraged the game just came out. They are still releasing a lot of things so who knows in the future somethings might pop up.

I don't believe that is possible since the best genie (highest randomly gained stat points per level) is called a Queen.

Discuss a max stated male genie being called a Queen.

GO! b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Blade_Wolfe - Heavens Tear
    Blade_Wolfe - Heavens Tear Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    the only way we will know if they will make any male venos or male genies is if they do it in the melasion/chineese servers

they are transfering files to us after they translat it to our language

were not gettin the stuff first lol

none of the stuff we get is new its just retranslated programing, so only way to know is to keep an eye on the chineese and melasian servers
  • Cese - Sanctuary
    Cese - Sanctuary Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    ok idk if someones alrdy pointed this out but hav u guys noticed that when you come to the pwi home page guess what chars you see? Women! and that little ? avatar thing its little outline shadow thing is in the shape of a venomancer. this game is sexist. its meant to attract men and some women but mostly focuses on men. and i know women in ye olde times wore dresses and skirts but they also didn't wear armor so would it kill them to give the women of pwi some more pants?(idk if other races can have pants but i can't find any on my elf one and it bugs me) i mean whenever i fly i can see my own underwear. and they could give us the option in our clothes like -revealing- -slightly skimpy- or -normal- not those exact words but you get my point.
    i mean i could care less what the hell follows me around. but having a cute little boy with wings would be funner then having a half nude little fairy girl follow me around.