A Major pot drain..

SaDash - Sanctuary
SaDash - Sanctuary Posts: 5 Arc User
edited May 2009 in Archer
Ya..i just started the archer a day ago(pure dex. build) and i like their abilty to keep mobs at bay and killing them b4 they have time to hurt me much, but ive ran into a little problem... an archer goes through pots like rainwater. In fact no other class i played has had to down this many pots like this. Well let me explain why i have to use so many pots 1st off. OK.. if i DONT use almost my entire skill set the monsters get to me and beat me up becaue of the -50% atk.
i get at close range. So im forced to run and hit it with skills while im running. This method uses less mp but i take a lot more damage and im forced to run too much. If i unload my entire skill bar on mobs its either dies b4 it hits me or its within an inch of its life by the time it gets to me, but this method uses a TON of mp like half my bar is goneb:surrender. So im wondering is there a point at which ill get skills that i dont have to use so much mp on that will either kill or
almost kill the mob b4 it gets to me? Or will i 4ever spend an **** load of money on pots? Or will i have to keep buying charms all the time because im not the type that can keep affording those dam gold hp and mp charms..b:cry
Post edited by SaDash - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Ethon - Harshlands
    Ethon - Harshlands Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    start off wit frost man and then shoot a couple regulars,
    then knockback it, shoot another frost, and just hit it wit regulars if needed use the lighting one if gets to clsoe

o if ur out of chi use take aim to generate on weaker monsters first lol LD

o ya have enough chi for winged shell tat can take down the use of hp pots alot i ahd to learn the hard way lol
  • SaDash - Sanctuary
    SaDash - Sanctuary Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    ah ok..so in other words im really using too many skills when i really dont need to?
  • Onlyjayy - Heavens Tear
    Onlyjayy - Heavens Tear Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, i guess.
    I suggest u start off with take aim coz it takes the longest to cast. it's when you get your first spark does life as an archer gets easier.

Do you have Winged Pledge? coz if you do, use it when the enemy is close and then use knockback.
  • Guardgodess - Sanctuary
    Guardgodess - Sanctuary Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    to OP

seeing you are lvl 20, you should have learned knockback arrow.

an effective combo which most archers use and uses very little mp is:
    frost arrow>normal shot>normal shot>knockback>normal shot till dead

this combo ensures, for most of the time, dead mob before it get to you; or the mob is on its last breath when it get to you.

when you get to lvl 39, learn stunning arrow, then you will have a new combo for the harder mobs
    frost arrow>normal shot>normal shot>knockback>stunning arrow>normal shot till dead

NOTE: these are only the basic structure of the combos and you will need to alter it a bit when fighting some mobs

have fun and enjoy the life of archery ^^

another thing: get clerics with green weapons to buff you before you set off to quest or grind, their mp regen skill helps out enormously.
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, i guess.
    I suggest u start off with take aim coz it takes the longest to cast. it's when you get your first spark does life as an archer gets easier.

Do you have Winged Pledge? coz if you do, use it when the enemy is close and then use knockback.

take aim should not be used before lvl 60 or 70 as before that, your weapon is not strong enough for take aim to make a difference in the damage. so don't bother lvling it for the time being. you are much better off using aim low or stunning arrow for the damage and the freeze or stun effect.

it's pretty rare that you will need to use winged pledge (mine is at lvl 1)

archer's life gets significantly better after lvl 20 and it just keep on getting better after that
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    spam take aim for chi when you have it at lvl 1, like activate take aim, release take aim immediately. it's the best part about it
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
    edited May 2009
    spam take aim for chi when you have it at lvl 1, like activate take aim, release take aim immediately. it's the best part about it

actually, what i do now if i have no chi is, use blazing arrow and 2 wings of protection. this will give me enough chi to fire off my first frost arrow and get the combo started. with the combo, i can have max chi in no time

but, that's probably because my wings of protection is not at a high lvl (lvl 2?), so the mp cost isn't that great
  • VelvetRose - Harshlands
    VelvetRose - Harshlands Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Since you're lvl23, I guess you presently are in Broken Bow (The Mines)

I just finished it, so here's what I was usually using:

Strong mobs (aka Wolves/Werewolf)
    Frost --> Lightning --> Knockback --> Normal till dead

Other mobs (Mostly ranged)
    Frost --> Normal x 2 --> Knockback --> Normal till dead

Weak mobs (Weak/Sacrificial)
    Frost --> Normal till dead

This way, I was able to kill about 6 or 7 strong mobs and about 15+ "middle" mobs before running out of mp. And whenever your Chi bar is 70+, cast Wingshell to regain some mana.

And more importantly, it never killed anyone to meditate (except if you do it in the middle of aggresive mobs^^'). I usually look at the forum or other websites while my char is meditating^^.
  • Panhan - Heavens Tear
    Panhan - Heavens Tear Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I found that if your going through too many pots that you should invest in some +Hp Armour. It' really makes a difference for an archer, because of our small health bar and low Vit. For my Armour i have a total of around +20 Hp and that's not when I'm mediating . If i meditate i can fill up my entire health bar in about 1 min, mind you that's the entire health bar so if you take 20% damage you can heal that in about 10 secs meditating. And the cost increase for +HP armour isn't even that significant. I've found items on the AH with +5 stats going for basically the same price as NPC armour.

So yea it's really worth the money to invest in some + HP armour.
    I don't even use pots anymore