Would you like to become a genius?

Options
Zephyrx - Lost City
Zephyrx - Lost City Posts: 1,563 Arc User
edited May 2009 in Off-Topic Discussion
If you were given the chance to to become a genius ...

At the cost of something important in your life, would you do it?
Position: Professional Forum Troll
Position Details: Be able to incite people to flames and perform miracles such as telling people what's right and what's wrong. Be able to dish out flames to other people so fire extinguishers are needed to put out the flames. Most of all, giving others a piece of reality.

ZephyrX is better than crack... he's your Anti-Drug
Post edited by Zephyrx - Lost City on

Comments

• Shadowdragon - Harshlands
    Shadowdragon - Harshlands Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Depends what I lose. And what level of genius. Not much in this world isn't possible with the proper knowledge. But yep it depends on what's lost what's gained.
  • dachs
    dachs Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I also think it depends on what you lose and especially what kind of genius you're talking of. If you really mean a beyond human, all-understanding allround genius, I have to admit that it would be tempting nonetheless. You then would have the unique opportunity to know and understand all that's beyond your reach in your current status, and maybe gain a deeper understanding of, well, life.
    On the other hand, human genius is limited and doesn't guarantee happiness, and "understanding" can be reached without thinking at all, and sometimes - to me - it seems as if the more you understand the less you want to know; be stupid, get a pen from a party, and vote them - that's it.

And if there was a chance to become a genius all of a sudden, how can I be sure, that this person will be really me, and that again leads to some kind of definition of what personality consists of .... aaarrrghhh. I'm sorry for the long post and stupid thoughts. b:cry
    "Er ist ganz nah. Nun leuchte frisch,
    Er ist neugierig wie ein Fisch;" - random quote from Goethe's Faust II.
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I like these thought provoking questions that are posted in the forums ^^
  • Zephyrx - Lost City
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Depends what I lose. And what level of genius. Not much in this world isn't possible with the proper knowledge. But yep it depends on what's lost what's gained.

Oh come on... use your imagination! But in my own mind I would think of genius as >150 IQ.

And what you lose is something you hold dear. Your best friend, your girl/boy friend... your spouse... career... etc.
    Position Details: Be able to incite people to flames and perform miracles such as telling people what's right and what's wrong. Be able to dish out flames to other people so fire extinguishers are needed to put out the flames. Most of all, giving others a piece of reality.

edited May 2009
    Options
    Oh come on... use your imagination! But in my own mind I would think of genius as >150 IQ.

And what you lose is something you hold dear. Your best friend, your girl/boy friend... your spouse... career... etc.

Haha ok. Then no. My IQ is already there =P But let's say this. Lose your career to attain superior mentality. You could easily get a better career no?

On the other hand, some things are irreplaceable. If you lose say health or limb whatever, you could use your intelligence to replace it right? I mean genius on the level of the typical doctor? Engineer? Lawyer? If that's genius... you can attain that through hard work. And you get to keep your spouse/ best friend/ girl or boy friend =D
  • Hisuna - Sanctuary
    Hisuna - Sanctuary Posts: 1,071 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    150? That's all? b:chuckle

But no, I would not want that. My most precious person is someone I could never give up for anything. It's not even something I would consider for a second. Intellect can be a wonderful gift, a powerful weapon, and sometimes a curse. If you look back, most people in history who were considered to have true genius were also considered eccentric, insane, or at the very least, strange. Whatever level of intelligence I have, I'm happy with it. I get to lead a happy and mostly normal life, with everyday problems, and everyday joys. It's good enough for me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The family is a haven in a heartless world.
    Once a Guardian, Always a Guardian. Element: Fire.
  • KitsuneXIII - Sanctuary
    KitsuneXIII - Sanctuary Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    It would depend on what I would lose and how smart I would become.

I am already very intelligent, so it would have to be a very significant increase to my intelligence in order for me to be willing to give something up for becoming even smarter than the average person.

If you mean like learning how to construct robot armies, reverse and/or stop the aging process or cure cancer on the other hand...I would be willing to give up a bit more. =3
  • Shirabelle - Sanctuary
    Shirabelle - Sanctuary Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Ignorance is bliss, so no.
    Some of the most disturbed minds in history were geniuses.
    And the rest are either messed up or handicapped in other ways.
    So I believe that level of intelligence does come at a cost.

It's the slow people that seem the most happy/content with life. x3
  • OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear
    OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    No b:quiet
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • morgenwraith
    morgenwraith Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    If you were given the chance to to become a genius ...

At the cost of something important in your life, would you do it?
    I did, and the price was huge. Unbearable at first, but with time and knowledge it brought "rewards" far greater than what I have lost in shallow life (just to clarify, I didn't have to lose any dearest person to start this path, and no one would need that. Pretty much the opposite, someone became dearest to me after this). Also, this is a path anyone can walk, with the true will of doing it and not living a life which is insignificant for themselves and everyone else.
    Ignorance is bliss for ignorant people, but a curse to the world and the inner self.

I don't expect who'll read this to understand or accept more than 0.000001% of what I'm saying, and I already know that the following posts will be sarcasm-troll-flame-like. "Oh, so you're a genius and also have the modesty to consider you one and aswer like you did..."
    Actually, anyone with a non-"I am the best and all other people suck" mind can easily understand that matter, so there's no reason to lose time trying to explain it to people with destructive intents who feel that they're better than all others.
    I just wanted to give my testimony; think whatever you like of it, I don't have anything to lose about it, while you may have much.
  • Oldbear - Sanctuary
    Oldbear - Sanctuary Posts: 486 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    So what do you mean by genius? Ability to see more connections through logical reasoning between things than normal people and therefore see more whole picture where others see fragments? A whole picture of world? A whole picture of humanity? or a whole picture of universe?

Why would you want such a skill? And what will you do if the whole picture you see turns out to be rather disturbing? Would you want to give back the genius ability then?
  • dachs
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Although I haven't asked the question first and so maybe am not, well ... authorized to do that, I'd consider it as usefull - or necessary - to explain what here is understood as "genius"?

As I said, I don't think that human genius can deliver a whole and complete picture of anything; even our imaginations are limited - nothing new under the sun, all has a name - and we are "made" for living in the world that we are able to experience, just as other animals. So "our" genius can never understand everything and can only be limited ...
    Which makes the other kind of genius, that has less to do with the human mind, so much more interesting - and that makes it necessary to divide. (Huh?? b:shutup)
  • Zephyrx - Lost City
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Personally, I would think there is only one simple thing that all humans would want. That is, happiness

A genius could actually never obtain it however. So in order to become a genius, one must give up true happiness... Sad, but true. If you are genius, you will be conscious of the world around you and know there is no such thing as true happiness. Everything fades, even the pretty rose is gone in days.. like you how are gone in years... or how stars are gone in billions of years.

Time is relative, but it is also merciless. People who aren't a genius will be well... able to find true happiness. Why is that? Because they don't know all the requirement of happiness and they find themselves fulfilled. In their own minds, they are truly happy.

So... to my thought... if I could become a genius but lose my happiness. I would choose happiness. It's a very selfish choice, but living everyday for my life is not as good as it is. Trust me, live one day in my own life and you will commit suicide the next day

P.S. Sorry if my post is extremely emo... Just that.. well... nvm.... It's emo.. w/e.

• Mysticlifex - Heavens Tear
    Mysticlifex - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    But why do you want to be smart, that no fun, neway im already a genius - A stupid genius.

*spits on timtam and facepalms Zephryx*
    We're MysticAve my name is not Dave
    (Poem in the making - Shall be epic)
  • dachs
    edited May 2009
    Options
    If you are genius, you will be conscious of the world around you and know there is no such thing as true happiness. Everything fades, even the pretty rose is gone in days.

I don't think that's the final truth - of course everything fades, vanishes, is gone forever. Maybe even time and space.
    But you also will become aware that - at least something - is. You will see all that suffering, of course, you will see death and maybe how meaningless we are and everything is.
    But above all, and I don't think that this has necessarily something to do with whatsoever belief, you may see (if not an emo genius b:pleased): everything is, without the necessity of an creation, if you want so, and that can fill you with happiness.
    We live; we suffer and die, but we had the chance to be, and that is not guaranteed, anyway. The possibility of never being born is so much higher.
  • Foxx_trott - Heavens Tear
    Foxx_trott - Heavens Tear Posts: 802 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    No I wouldn't, because no matter how much smarter I become, Zoe will still think he is smarter, lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will never do anything in this world without courage.
    It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor.
    ~Aristotle
  • Mysticlifex - Heavens Tear
    Mysticlifex - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    lol Zoe.. I remember I got a random invite into a fb19 and the squad started talking about Zoe

"Oh NOEs ZOE a HOBO"

"noo not Zoe"

"She Cant become a HOBO!!"

"she lost it all shes a hobo"!

*this is where i left the squad*

(this is not a lie)
    We're MysticAve my name is not Dave
    (Poem in the making - Shall be epic)
  • Zephyrx - Lost City
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Maybe I'm like Jesus, born with the emity of infinite lives...

My heart is never calm, and I can't stand it any longer

P.S. Note to Mysticallifex, Your an idiot

• Oldbear - Sanctuary
    Oldbear - Sanctuary Posts: 486 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Maybe I'm like Jesus, born with the emity of infinite lives...

My heart is never calm, and I can't stand it any longer

P.S. Note to Mysticallifex, Your an idiot

Just move away from your parents (or whoever else is bugging your right now) and live on your own. Moments (not long periods though) of peace will come.

Oh yes... another question- would you give away happiness (which you might never obtain anyway even if you wouldn't give it away) for peace?
    To not feel love nor loved but still tranquil. To stop worrying about things you cannot change and calmly change things that you can. To be always able to sleep and have clear conscious.

How about that trade? Still bad?
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Haha fireworks last but an instant but they're still pretty. Things can still have meaning even if finite. Actually we cherish life so much because we all know we eventually will die. So how does knowing everything will fade make everything less valuable? Maybe the value isn't in the object itself but in the duration that it lasts as well?
  • dachs
    edited May 2009
    Options
    ... another question- would you give away happiness (which you might never obtain anyway even if you wouldn't give it away) for peace?
    To not feel love nor loved but still tranquil. To stop worrying about things you cannot change and calmly change things that you can.
    How about that trade? Still bad?

Now that seems to change personality, does it?
    (I fear I don't get if you're serious or not ...b:surrender)
    Like a mental lobotomy, or something like that. It actually has to isolate you from everything else ... or how can your peace not be destroyed if you notice your inability to love and be loved?
    Although I think that there doesn't have to be a logic, as it is some kind of thought experiment ...
  • Angelical - Heavens Tear
    Angelical - Heavens Tear Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Personally, I would think there is only one simple thing that all humans would want. That is, happiness

A genius could actually never obtain it however. So in order to become a genius, one must give up true happiness... Sad, but true. If you are genius, you will be conscious of the world around you and know there is no such thing as true happiness.

If you were that intelligent you would realize that life is a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Everything in the universe is consciousness. Space and time in all planes of reality are only projections within universal consciousness. There really is no here or there for everything is at one place where Mind is. Mind does not move at all. Mind simply Is. Mind is everywhere yet nowhere. Mind is nowhere but Here, Now. We are all existing together as a singularity in one place and time. Everything is one, Here and Now.

Several events in different places that are moving in synchronization may actually be the movements of the same event. Imagine a fighter jet flying in the sky, with several video cameras recording its movements from different angles. Each recording is displayed on different screens. When the fighter jet displayed on one screen turns or moves in a different direction, all other fighter jets in the other screens simultaneously move in a correlated manner.

Every day experience is a projected reality where things only appear to be separated in time and space. In a deeper reality, we are all members of the same body. When one part of the body moves, every other part is instantly affected. Separation is an illusion. There is a dimension of reality where we are all inseparably one. When we feel love in any form, it has the effect of beginning to shatter that illusion.

When two electrons collide, they exchange energy and information with each other. From then onwards, no matter where one electron is, you will be able to tell the location and momentum of the other. When a change occurs in one electron, it will immediately be reflected in the other. You are always able to know in one, what is going on in the other. When you cause change in one, you cause change in the other. We exchange portions of our energy fields with each other when we come into contact, therefore we remain inseparably connected at all times.

Imagine the universe is an ocean and each of us is a wave in that ocean. The wave and the ocean are the same. We are the universe localized in a single point in spacetime. The soul has two parts. It is both local and nonlocal. Part of you is localized and part of you is nonlocal, and connected to everything. You are the universe, located in your body. Not all your thoughts, wishes and desires are actually your thoughts, wishes and desires. Part of them are the very intentions of the universe.

The spirit in me is the same as the spirit in you, and the spirit in all beings. Enlightenment is the realization that you are the universal spirit observing from a particular point of view. Each of us is the universal spirit projecting a particular point of view. My self is inseparable from all that exists, just as your self is inseparable from all that exists. You are an aspect of infinite intelligence, and infinite intelligence is the source of all that exist. Therefore you are the source of all that exist and you create your own experience. Everything is possible because everything exists within you. The same unbounded potential of the infinite spirit also resides in each and every one of us.

Your soul is the reflection of all souls. You are the Other. Without the other, you would not exist. You are defined by your relationships with others. You would need to describe the whole universe in order to define a single person. Therefore every single person is the whole universe. Your soul is both personal and universal at the same time. Everyone is a reflection of yourself. You are in a hall of mirrors where every reflection of yourself appears different. Others you admire reflect the qualities you most cherish in yourself. Others you detest reflect the qualities you most deny in yourself. Each person you see is a different version of you.

All the cells in your body start from just one cell. That one cell in the womb is fertilized, grows and divides into two. The two cells grow and divide into four. This process happens fifty times until there are one hundred thousand billion cells in your body. That
  • Zephyrx - Lost City
    edited May 2009
    Options
    If you were that intelligent you would realize that life is a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Everything in the universe is consciousness. Space and time in all planes of reality are only projections within universal consciousness. There really is no here or there for everything is at one place where Mind is. Mind does not move at all. Mind simply Is. Mind is everywhere yet nowhere. Mind is nowhere but Here, Now. We are all existing together as a singularity in one place and time. Everything is one, Here and Now.

Several events in different places that are moving in synchronization may actually be the movements of the same event. Imagine a fighter jet flying in the sky, with several video cameras recording its movements from different angles. Each recording is displayed on different screens. When the fighter jet displayed on one screen turns or moves in a different direction, all other fighter jets in the other screens simultaneously move in a correlated manner.

Every day experience is a projected reality where things only appear to be separated in time and space. In a deeper reality, we are all members of the same body. When one part of the body moves, every other part is instantly affected. Separation is an illusion. There is a dimension of reality where we are all inseparably one. When we feel love in any form, it has the effect of beginning to shatter that illusion.

When two electrons collide, they exchange energy and information with each other. From then onwards, no matter where one electron is, you will be able to tell the location and momentum of the other. When a change occurs in one electron, it will immediately be reflected in the other. You are always able to know in one, what is going on in the other. When you cause change in one, you cause change in the other. We exchange portions of our energy fields with each other when we come into contact, therefore we remain inseparably connected at all times.

Imagine the universe is an ocean and each of us is a wave in that ocean. The wave and the ocean are the same. We are the universe localized in a single point in spacetime. The soul has two parts. It is both local and nonlocal. Part of you is localized and part of you is nonlocal, and connected to everything. You are the universe, located in your body. Not all your thoughts, wishes and desires are actually your thoughts, wishes and desires. Part of them are the very intentions of the universe.

The spirit in me is the same as the spirit in you, and the spirit in all beings. Enlightenment is the realization that you are the universal spirit observing from a particular point of view. Each of us is the universal spirit projecting a particular point of view. My self is inseparable from all that exists, just as your self is inseparable from all that exists. You are an aspect of infinite intelligence, and infinite intelligence is the source of all that exist. Therefore you are the source of all that exist and you create your own experience. Everything is possible because everything exists within you. The same unbounded potential of the infinite spirit also resides in each and every one of us.

Your soul is the reflection of all souls. You are the Other. Without the other, you would not exist. You are defined by your relationships with others. You would need to describe the whole universe in order to define a single person. Therefore every single person is the whole universe. Your soul is both personal and universal at the same time. Everyone is a reflection of yourself. You are in a hall of mirrors where every reflection of yourself appears different. Others you admire reflect the qualities you most cherish in yourself. Others you detest reflect the qualities you most deny in yourself. Each person you see is a different version of you.

All the cells in your body start from just one cell. That one cell in the womb is fertilized, grows and divides into two. The two cells grow and divide into four. This process happens fifty times until there are one hundred thousand billion cells in your body. That

So, the simple concept that we are all connected huh? lol!

Maybe so..., maybe that's how people are able to predict future events from the correlation of past events. Yes, the realization of interconnections is a sign of intelligence, but it also comes with a burden.

Nothing is one faced... black.. white... or heck even gray. Reality exists to fool us from the Illusion. In fact, the real world is made up of Reality, Illusion, and everything in between. Just like the rainbow is more than 7 colors, so is the world.

Maybe a gift is better not wasted... But as for me, I think its sometimes cool. But most of the time, it just plain sucks. Well, in a different way of suckage. But it does suck...

Maybe if I suck too much, I will realize something about it. Like all events, even the worst can have predicted consequences...

I'll see. Thanks for somewhat of a pep talk.

• Buffer - Dreamweaver
    Buffer - Dreamweaver Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options

Welcome to Moonside.
    Wecomel to Soonmide.
    Moonwel ot cosidme.

Instead of losing happiness, how about your sanity? And I don't mean "Oh I'm already crazy hahaha", no I mean schizophrenia, delusional, psychotic, etc.
    Most studies show no relation between your intelligence and insanity, but many still say there is. Could you make that trade?

Hello! and...goodbye!
  • Zephyrx - Lost City
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Welcome to Moonside.
    Wecomel to Soonmide.
    Moonwel ot cosidme.

Instead of losing happiness, how about your sanity? And I don't mean "Oh I'm already crazy hahaha", no I mean schizophrenia, delusional, psychotic, etc.
    Most studies show no relation between your intelligence and insanity, but many still say there is. Could you make that trade?

Hello! and...goodbye!

I think your crazy

• dachs
    edited May 2009
    Options

Okay, it's clear what you seem to think about that - but how did you get there?

Seriously, I like such topics demanding one thought or two, but this is like: if you were intelligent enough you'd agree with my beliefs.
    I like theories about - let's keep it simple - what's behind it all, and sometimes they hold very interesting thoughts, but it's even better if they are to some extend connected to what's commonly regarded as "reality".
    For example, I'd agree to your very first sentence: "Everything in the world is consciousness", because actually one could say that this is all you ever get to know, and what you consider as reality is the world's impact on your senses and therefore on your brain and your self.
    This however is rather logical: There is no way to loose yourself from your senses and your brain, and if you were only thought with no input from the world, you'd be isolated and therefore not able to contemplate it. Thus, there is no other way to experience the world than to observe it from your mind's point of view; and there is never a chance to know if what you see is the reality: you're caught in your brain and your senses.

But the rest of your argumentation I'd rather call belief. You give no ideas - at least I didn't find them - what leads you to see universe that way, and ... it's hard to discuss only a point of view without logical structure, is it? b:surrender
  • LordofBlade - Heavens Tear
    LordofBlade - Heavens Tear Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    hell no, i wouldnt, being a genius would be boring. And wouldnt give away happiness for peace either. Happiness means more to me then peace. ^_^
  • firefang11
    firefang11 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    well it would allow you to diliberate whether or not someones actions are a theory or a statment because i cannot incredulously believe that being a genius would allow you to hypothisis that it is even possible but it would also allow you to get a multi million dollor pay check for finding out if the actions of someone is a theory in progress or a statment that is already in motion + the velocity of which they do it divided by the time it takes to do such task minus the amount of time it takes to start the given task = if the action/ task is either a theory or statment...
  • dachs
    edited May 2009
    Options
    firefang11 wrote: »
    well it would allow you to diliberate whether or not someones actions are a theory or a statment because i cannot incredulously believe that being a genius would allow you to hypothisis that it is even possible but it would also allow you to get a multi million dollor pay check for finding out if the actions of someone is a theory in progress or a statment that is already in motion + the velocity of which they do it divided by the time it takes to do such task minus the amount of time it takes to start the given task = if the action/ task is either a theory or statment...

Due to either my endless stupidity or to your most obvious inability to use such funny symbols like , ; ! or hitting the enter-button, I first have to admit that I am not sure if I really got the message of your post. b:shutup

Second: It may surprise you, but I understood that Angelical's explanations are statement, not theory - and by the way: I do not want to critizise them -, but they are presented quite general, and I (note: this is a statement) am not sure if they should be presented this way ... although this is a minor problem and actually has nothing to do with the question if one likes to become a genius.

So, what I really wanted to aim at is: this topic and the questions asked in some of the posts really invite to a discussion, and it is not only criticizm (right spelling?), but also interest that again lets me ask: how did you get to this thought?

And: How can an action be either theory or statement?

To continue with statements, though ...
    First: Can one interpretation of Angelic's statement be that everything is connected because everything is and everything has the same, well ... roots?
    Second: Can't I say that "everybody is his/her own universe" with the simple reason that nobody can experience anything but the impact on their senses/brain? Therefore universe would end for everyone anew - with death, and so ends time and space.
    So actually, for you, there is no world without you, if you don't believe in some kind of life after death.

And third: .... Okay, I notice: one can discuss statements. I'm so sorry ...
  • firefang11
    firefang11 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    dachs wrote: »
    Due to either my endless stupidity or to your most obvious inability to use such funny symbols like , ; ! or hitting the enter-button, I first have to admit that I am not sure if I really got the message of your post. b:shutup

Second: It may surprise you, but I understood that Angelical's explanations are statement, not theory - and by the way: I do not want to critizise them -, but they are presented quite general, and I (note: this is a statement) am not sure if they should be presented this way ... although this is a minor problem and actually has nothing to do with the question if one likes to become a genius.

So, what I really wanted to aim at is: this topic and the questions asked in some of the posts really invite to a discussion, and it is not only criticizm (right spelling?), but also interest that again lets me ask: how did you get to this thought?

And: How can an action be either theory or statement?

its the action where something is about to happen; like someone crossing a street where cars are passing along the street and he is about to get hit by one; is it possible to stop what is already in motion?
    If so the current event is a theory which is able to be changed and shifted.
    but if it wasn't possible to change it, it would be considered a statement.
    theory: takes place of a question which the question is able to change.
    statement: explains itself and isn't able to shifted or changed.