Computer restarts....

Tiger_King - Lost City
Tiger_King - Lost City Posts: 15 Arc User
edited May 2009 in Support Desk
I just recently got a new video card since my old one died. When I log into the game I get to character screen and all of the sudden my computer restarts. I don't know what to do. Can someone help me fix this issue? b:surrender
Post edited by Tiger_King - Lost City on

Comments

• Scout_Sniper - Heavens Tear
    Scout_Sniper - Heavens Tear Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    I had same problem after updating to current ATI catalyst. I had to rol back the driver and got some generic windows driver when I did so. Game play but not same quality I had before updating.
  • aryannamage
    aryannamage Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Could you please provide us the following fields from a DXdiag :
    System Tab - System Information box -
    Operating System :
    Processor :
    Memory :

Display Tab - device box -
    Name:
    Chip Type:

Display Tab - driver box -
    Date:

To open a dxdiag :
    In Vista, type dxdiag in the Start menu search bar
    In other versions of Windows, type dxdiag in the Run command (Start > Run)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • __Longshot__ - Sanctuary
    __Longshot__ - Sanctuary Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Also check the box the card came in and see what kind of power it needs. New cards need more than the older pcs have. I had to add a 300 watt to my son's pc.
  • Kar_rak - Sanctuary
    Kar_rak - Sanctuary Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Have you tried reinstalling the game? Maybe it has not detected your new GFX configuration.
    For a true Daeva's and Nakir's Swords! Sign at the post!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=163102
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ukkie - Sanctuary
    Ukkie - Sanctuary Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Was your previous card an Ati or Nvidia card? And what is your new card? If you switch from vendor it is best practice to reinstall window, it could cause a lot of problems because of DLL conflicts from previous versions of drivers.

If you don't feel like reinstalling, here's http://www.hlfallout.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=14506 a thread which explains how to remove all stuff from previous drivers.
    Gentlemen, I believe I am on fire
  • mistmantle
    mistmantle Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    I had same problem after updating to current ATI catalyst. I had to rol back the driver and got some generic windows driver when I did so. Game play but not same quality I had before updating.

I had same problem, with any of the ATI drivers since december 2008 and onwards. Game still does restart pc at random, but its not very often... and usually goes days without a problem.

But the poster sounds like a lack of power problem maybe... but thats a very random guess
    edited April 2009
    Thanks for all the insight. After the patch yesterday I was having trouble with toon running in place stalling out mid jump etc. On the generic windows drive so I updated again to most current then reinstalled game. Same problem game forced reboot after selecting toon. So I went back to a older driver 8.1 version with the same effect. Rolled it back to generic windows drive had same issue running in place etc. Power is not a issue with 450watt power supply. I also looked at event view and tried the recomended fix as well. I was able to log in a play just a few moments before the patch last night but with the run in place etc. patched this morn with the fix for action house and game doesn't load. Also I properly removed old drivers and scrubbed with registry mechanic so should be no problem there either. I will run the dxdiag. But guessing it probably come up clean I have also been posting on the run in place thread. These to threads seem to be about the only problems I've had with game so far. I have also verified before running game as well.
    edited April 2009
    ok heres the fix.
    Results of DxDiag:
    DirectX Files Tab: No problems found.
    Display Tab 1: No problems found. DirectDraw test results: All tests were successful. Direct3D 7 test results: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x80004005 (Generic failure) Direct3D 8 test results: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x8876086c (error code) Direct3D 9 test results: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x8876086c (error code)

ok update from DX9c to 10 same error. Googled the error code, got microsoft data base many had same problems with newer ATI drivers, on games like COD4, but found driver 7.1 to be the fix. In previous posts I said I had tried diff. driver stets however ATI's previous drive page only goes back to 8.1 so that was the earliest driver I tried of course. Googled driver 7.1 and found download installed and fixxed.
    I must say I wouldn't have expected this to be a problem as all my other games and software worked with the most current drivers, even thought I'm sure error code still existed.

I hope this helps other people.b:victory
  • Tiger_King - Lost City
    edited May 2009
    I think I found the problem, well im positive it is. my card requires 270watt and I only have 250watt >.< anyhow im getting a 500watt in a few days b:thanks
  • Practicedumy - Harshlands
    Practicedumy - Harshlands Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    It's probably safe to say that any new computer with a mid-range to high end video cards requires a 650 watt power supply to be safe (minimum 550 watts). Make sure the power supply is a multiple rail one. My preferences on power supplies is 1: PowerPC (expensive business class PS's) 2: Intermax and 3: Antec (the earthwatts versions are acceptable if money is an issue)
  • Tiger_King - Lost City
    edited May 2009
    Got the power .
    supply and game still crashes on character screen.... >.< Im about to give up I tried everything I could think of
  • aryannamage
    aryannamage Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    As my last post in this thread was ignored I make it bold this time.

Please send in a ticket to Customer Support with a DXdiag and hijacklogs attached. Instructions on how to do that can be found here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.