I need opinion from experienced players

Highestelf - Heavens Tear
Highestelf - Heavens Tear Posts: 177 Arc User
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Tonite I went to do the Wicked Pirate challenge.
I am a lvl56 squishy Cleric and was astonished at the rate these were pulling my HP. I came seriously close to death on more than one occasion and had to spam ironheart to recover.

At one point I had to jump in the air to get breathing room only to come under fire from the flying whatever they're called up above. It was only while in the air that I realized someone was whispering me.

Initially all he said was BACK OFF
I assumed he was being an **** and asked him if he thought the area was "his"

Then - He accused me of KSing (never heard of that b4) and that it is a banable offense!

At first I tried to explain to him that I didn't see any one else targeting the mobs I killed - but, admitedly - there were several times "I" came under attack by mobs and fired in self defense in order to avoid getting killed.

I will admit that I have a tendency to panic when my HP is dangerously low and another mob jumps me - so, in "hindsight" It is possible that I ended up hitting a mob that someone else was on!

Anyone that knows me in game, knows I pride myself on helping others NOT doing things to offend others. In fact I frequently experience my mobs being KSing on a daily basis - i mean, literally, daily, all day long!! And I frequently terminate attacks as others move on same mob.

This guy says he saved screen shots to PROVE I was KSing.
I, for my part wanted to save screen shot of the chat - hoping that would demonstrate my intentions were not to offend another.

To be honest, I thought the guy was being a jerk, thinking he could bully others away. Man, what if we all did that up at Broken Bow ridge where players out number mobs!

Anyhow, he further suggested that I was a punk and a bad reflection on my faction (which I just joined yesterday).

Anyhow, I believe he stated he will be forwarding screen shots to someone and talking with my Faction leader.

I presume his intentions are to blow this into an effort to ban me?

If, assuming what I described here is true - I did not "Intentionally" attack anyone else's mob. Can this guy get me banned from game?
Post edited by Highestelf - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Seraph - Dreamweaver
    Seraph - Dreamweaver Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    If you're purposefully following someone, killing everything they hit, that's one thing. This obviously doesn't fall into that category.

Sounds more like a scare tactic fom a pushy noob than anything real. Don't let it bother you. It's not like the area belongs to him, and I highly doubt any screenshots he may have taken would prove anything.

Just keep enjoying the game, and don't worry yourself over it. ^^
  • Suiryujin - Sanctuary
    Suiryujin - Sanctuary Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    there is no rule preventing u from ksing a mob from anyone else. u are allowed to ks as many people as u want as long as u are doing it because u need the mob for ur quest. u could have intentionally ksed the mob and there is nothing he/she can do to get u banned according to ToS under the assumption u need the mob that is. if u purposely ks someone repeatedly when u dont need the mob for a quest of some type, it is possible u will get a temp ban for the offense.

if the person leaves the area and u follow them to continue ksing it becomes griefing which is bannable.
    My body is made of swords.
    Iron is my blood, and glass is my heart.
    I have overcome countless battlefields undefeated,
    Without once retreating,
    Nor once being understood.
    Always alone, intoxicated with victory on the hill of swords.
    Therefore, there is no meaning to that life.
    Perhaps this body is nothing but a sword itself.
  • SilverTease - Heavens Tear
    SilverTease - Heavens Tear Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    KSing someone isn't a good enough reason to be banned. The targeting system isn't too bright so it's very easy to end up KSing without even noticing.

You're a bit too stressed about this story. Relax and think about it for a sec. There is no way this dude can get you banned - no relevant complaint for the GMs. So don't even think about being banned for that.

As for your faction leader... if you tell him/her the same thing you posted here, i don't think you will be in any trouble. We all know there are lots of buggs in the game - and your leader probably knows you way better then i do, and won't blame you for KSing since you say you're all about helping others. He/she will understand that you didn't do it on purpose. Depends on your faction rules, but something like this is not even enough for warning a faction member - kicking is out of the question.

I'm pretty sure the dude didn't even took those screenshots, even if he did... how can a SS prove that he attacked first and you KSd him ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ Attitude Marshal ~
    b:pleased I love my Neph b:pleased
  • Surfer_Rosa - Sanctuary
    Surfer_Rosa - Sanctuary Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Ksing is, while certainly rude and annoying, not a bannable offense. The only way he could even get a GM to look into it would be if he had proof of you harrasing him, as this would be considered griefing. However, as this is difficult to prove even with screenies, he would more than likely need to have had you admitting to it, or verbally abusing him, in screenshots. So don't worry about it and disregard any threats he might have made... There is a small chance he might try to get you in trouble with your faction, but if they're anything resembling fair they will require evidence from him too.

Now, for the most part GMs do take seriously the investigation of this allegations, and are unlikely to rush into using the banhammer. There are however some offenses a player may commit unwittingly and which may lead to sanctions. One of the best known is the bug that allows venos to easily defeat some bosses using an air pet. Although this is a bannable offense there is a chance a player may not have heard of it and that she could unknowingly exploit the bug. These cases are however very rare and should not be difficult to identify.
  • Highestelf - Heavens Tear
    edited May 2009
    I appreciate your response -
    I admit my ignorance, to what degree anything can be perceived one way, or another - is what made me feel uneasy.

I definitely was not following anyone! I was standing still in a hot zone!!
    By his claim, I hit 2 mobs that he and his faction member laid claim on. 1 mob he was luring for his team mate, and the other was supposedly down to 25%.

As for the one he was luring? I have know way of knowing that he was luring!
    His presumption seems to be that i should have been looking for him rather than worrying about the aggressive mobs all around me.

As for the other, well - in one frantic panic I can recall, I was fighting one mob when another re spawned in my face and started attacking, at that point no holds were barred because my HP was down close to zero b4 responding to HP pot and Ironheart!

If - in my panic - I clicked and fired on a mob that was already down to 25% I could easily have killed it before I had a chance to cancel attack. But I can swear I don't recall seeing any mobs HP down when locking and firing.

If you're purposefully following someone, killing everything they hit, that's one thing. This obviously doesn't fall into that category.

Sounds more like a scare tactic fom a pushy noob than anything real. Don't let it bother you. It's not like the area belongs to him, and I highly doubt any screenshots he may have taken would prove anything.

• SilverTease - Heavens Tear
    SilverTease - Heavens Tear Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    all the drama for 2 mobs?? good god! you should get him banned for harrasing you b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ Attitude Marshal ~
    b:pleased I love my Neph b:pleased
    edited May 2009
    His last post in forums was 4/23 and his avatar showed him at LVL 77 that day?
    I think bully tactic best describes, and admittedly that is how I initially perceived and responded to him - I assume he felt I should have simply acknowledged his accusation and admitted to it.

I think, in the heat of my response I told him if I did do as he said, "it wasn't intentional - get used to it because it happens to me day in and day out, "all day long.""

Then he kept on about it so I told him I was done with it!

After that he goes into his rant about SS because I wasn't humble and apologetic.

Thank you all for your responses - it was just a frustrating and infuriating event, mainly cause I am typically experiencing others tagging my mobs, but I move on and life goes on! Then this guy pops in out of nowhere and sets me off over his claim on "2" mobs!

• XAsch - Sanctuary
    XAsch - Sanctuary Posts: 855 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I agree with SilverTease. He should be banned for harassment! Gogo!
  • Shadowdragon - Harshlands
    Shadowdragon - Harshlands Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    There might be a special situation with unusual circumstances ... but... usually if they aggro and attack you, that means no one was not attacking them... therefore not possible to ks. Right?
  • Mothergoose - Sanctuary
    Mothergoose - Sanctuary Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    There might be a special situation with unusual circumstances ... but... usually if they aggro and attack you, that means no one was not attacking them... therefore not possible to ks. Right?

Lol, you're right. If a mob aggros on you, it means no one else hit it yet.

Although zhen parties that pull mobs without hitting them may accuse you of ksing. In that case, just add them to blacklist. The rule is, until a mob is hit, it doesn't belong to anyone.
  • Saomuel - Dreamweaver
    Saomuel - Dreamweaver Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    First of all, in a general way, people should be banned for doing something wrong he doesn't know, yes. Is a duty for anyone to know all the rules regarding the game and follow all of it. Is the same way of the real life laws. No matter if you know it or not, but you can't drive a car without an license. And if you do and get caught, a "but I didn't know" will not convince the officer.

Speaking about KS, still in a general way, is an abuse and if is not especifically described on Terms of Service (and should be), it's still a way of abuse and who does must be banned. And yes, you can prove that other people is KSing you using screenshots. If someone KS you, if is really an abuser, he/she'll do it again. So, attack an monster an take the first SS of YOU giving the first hit. And be ready. If the KSer attacks your monster, take another SS and you've got your proof. Send it to GMs via ticketing system and wait for his ban. Make sure you got the KSer's name on the picture and his avatar attacking. Loose proof doesn't proof anything.

And record an video is way better b:chuckle

But, of course, we have cases and cases. We have the real KSer, who attacks your monster again and again and keeps annoying you. But there's situations where people do acidental KS. I've did it, specially when I attack and mob about 0,5sec after the first person gives the first hit. In this case, I just stop attacking, apologise, and go away find another monster for me.

Avoiding KS, also, doesn't means you'll have to be other's tank. If an monster is aggroing you, you don't have to spend your potions or mana trying to not die to that monster. And in tension moments it's hard to type "little help here?". So, if this was the case, if someone complains about KSing, just say "It was aggroing me and I didn't wanted to die". If the complaining persists, say "I'm not your tanker. Get yourself an Barb".

In an general way, i say it again: KS is annoying, it's abuse, it's against the rules and should have an rule specially made for it. KSing destroys all the fun of an MMO, I know it cause I've already left and MMO server due to lack of KS banning by the GMs.
  • Zephyrx - Lost City
    Zephyrx - Lost City Posts: 1,563 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Well yea..

I didn't know botting was illegal because I'm a noob...

Then suddenly a saw a hot sexy GM.... minutes later. I saw the blue screen of death.
    Position: Professional Forum Troll
    Position Details: Be able to incite people to flames and perform miracles such as telling people what's right and what's wrong. Be able to dish out flames to other people so fire extinguishers are needed to put out the flames. Most of all, giving others a piece of reality.

ZephyrX is better than crack... he's your Anti-Drug
    edited May 2009
    No offense intended, seriously!

If I understand you correctly, anyone caught driving without a license, regardless of knowledge of laws, should receive death penalty?

Certainly you can tell people were making a clear distinction between intentional harassment and accident?

I think a better analogy would be Ramming you vehicle into another? If you did it "accidentally" even the LAW makes a distinction and calls it an "accident!" If you do it intentionally, the law makes separate distinctions based on the motivation behind your actions - least of which would be "assault with deadly weapon?"

LIFE is full of accidents, if the entire world took your view everyone would be killed b4 they began to walk. "Sorry kid, no second chances" - "Off with his head!"

Our species would be very short lived!!
    First of all, in a general way, people should be banned for doing something wrong he doesn't know, yes. Is a duty for anyone to know all the rules regarding the game and follow all of it. Is the same way of the real life laws. No matter if you know it or not, but you can't drive a car without an license. And if you do and get caught, a "but I didn't know" will not convince the officer.

Speaking about KS, still in a general way, is an abuse and if is not especifically described on Terms of Service (and should be), it's still a way of abuse and who does must be banned. And yes, you can prove that other people is KSing you using screenshots. If someone KS you, if is really an abuser, he/she'll do it again. So, attack an monster an take the first SS of YOU giving the first hit. And be ready. If the KSer attacks your monster, take another SS and you've got your proof. Send it to GMs via ticketing system and wait for his ban. Make sure you got the KSer's name on the picture and his avatar attacking. Loose proof doesn't proof anything.

And record an video is way better b:chuckle

But, of course, we have cases and cases. We have the real KSer, who attacks your monster again and again and keeps annoying you. But there's situations where people do acidental KS. I've did it, specially when I attack and mob about 0,5sec after the first person gives the first hit. In this case, I just stop attacking, apologise, and go away find another monster for me.

Avoiding KS, also, doesn't means you'll have to be other's tank. If an monster is aggroing you, you don't have to spend your potions or mana trying to not die to that monster. And in tension moments it's hard to type "little help here?". So, if this was the case, if someone complains about KSing, just say "It was aggroing me and I didn't wanted to die". If the complaining persists, say "I'm not your tanker. Get yourself an Barb".

In an general way, i say it again: KS is annoying, it's abuse, it's against the rules and should have an rule specially made for it. KSing destroys all the fun of an MMO, I know it cause I've already left and MMO server due to lack of KS banning by the GMs.
  • Zhoelle - Sanctuary
    Zhoelle - Sanctuary Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    If a mob aggros on you, it means no one else hit it yet.
    Precisely!

Yesterday, the definition of KS came up yet again. There were a few groups chopping down trees, and for the most part we avoided each other. Until...one barb accused me of KSing.

Of course, it didn't make any sense to me - their squad was using a fast bunny that would be dispatched to attack, even while they fought other mobs.

Problem is, for the case in question, I reached the mob first. Guess they got miffed because there were limited mobs to fight, they didn't see me, or they figured their claim was for the whole zone.

The situation:
    Dispatch bunny to mob A. Fight mob B. Look back and discover...
    "Hey, why is BM fighting mob A? That's ours!"
    "KSing Noob!"

Even though I apologized for not seeing their bunny on its way, the reality is someone else was being the noob.
  • Daerys - Sanctuary
    Daerys - Sanctuary Posts: 1,022 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Sounds to me like some punk that got his hands on daddies credit card and bought a bunch of Oracles. He just wanted you to go away so he could powerlevel himself in peace. Blacklist him and move on, he has no legitimate complaint against you.
  • Moog - Lost City
    Moog - Lost City Posts: 633 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    This is why pve servers fail x.x

Something funny that happened yesterday. Me and a group of 5 others were at fish, on miji. This random high 7x archer starts going in our fish area and ksing our mobs. We tell him to leave please, and he starts being a ****. Than we (actualy the mob did) kill him b:chuckle
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    Zoe - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,814 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    No, you just showed why pvp servers fail. No one ever learns how to get along with other players, making a much worse overall game. Plus, our TWs are much more fun in this non-pvp server due to no constant ganking and KoS which stops anyone from being able to level to compete. Recently 1 guild had 19 of their lands attacked at once. That's some fun TW.

On topic here, that person was just being an idiot and does not know a thing. Nothing you did was wrong and his screenshots do not mean a thing.
    Main characters
    Celestial Sage Venomancer Zoe - 100
    Sage Barbarian Malego - 91
  • Moog - Lost City
    Moog - Lost City Posts: 633 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I couldn't less about getting life lessons in a online role playing game. It's not like I would kill a guy in real life if he was being a ****, big difference. b:laugh