Pet tier: Significance?

Options
Myish - Sanctuary
Myish - Sanctuary Posts: 194 Arc User
edited May 2009 in Venomancer
Ok I was looking around if anyone had a similar question and I couldn't find one so I'm making this new post... That said, I wanted to know if there were any advantages of keeping a lower class pet instead of taming a higher evolution of the pet when you are a higher level...

EX: All venos get either a starting wolf or scorpion at the beginning. Is there any advantage of keeping this same started pet and level it up appropriately (to your own level) or taming another pet of a higher level. (like a wolf that starts at lvl 12 rather than one you trained to lvl 12 from lvl 2).

Wow once again my explanation is confusing myself... hopefully someone understands me :P
b:cold*
b:faint (Sub Zero!)
Post edited by Myish - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Truvisionary - Sanctuary
    Truvisionary - Sanctuary Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    there is some advantage. that wolf/scorpion you get at the beginning will be stronger at level 12 than a wolf/scorpion that starts out at level 12. hope that helps.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Myish - Sanctuary
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Yup that's all I wanted to know :)b:laugh
  • Meiyen - Heavens Tear
    Meiyen - Heavens Tear Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    I did just that. I started with a sharptooth wolfling at level 2, and then tamed a sharptooth wolf at level 12. I continued to level both, they are each level 16 at the moment.

Sharptooth Wolfling
    HP: 489
    Phys Attack: 170
    Phys Resis: 1028
    Magic Resis: 1131
    Damage: 385
    Evade: 237
    Attack Rate: 0.80 / second
    Speed: 6.9 m/s
    Fleshream Level 1, base plus 120% damage over 9 seconds

Sharptooth Wolf
    HP: 461
    Phys Attack: 157
    Phys Resis: 961
    Magic Resis: 1057
    Damage: 364
    Evade: 223
    Attack Rate: 0.80 / second
    Speed: 7.1 m/s
    Fleshream Level 2, base plus 140% damage over 9 seconds
    Howl Level 1, decrease enemy's magic defense by 20% for 15 seconds

I hope this comparison helps.
  • Vaelissa - Heavens Tear
    Vaelissa - Heavens Tear Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Taken from the Venomancer guide:

The lower the original level of the pet is, the better its stats will be when its leveled up. In other words, a level 2 wolf, when trained to level 40, will have better stats than a wolf caught at level 40.
  • Vidalaire - Heavens Tear
    Vidalaire - Heavens Tear Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    You're not taking something into account though. Higher level evolutions will have worse stats, but they usually have better skills. Since pet skills cost a bundle, some venos take the sacrifice in stats for the better skills. Keep in mind that you can always buy pet skills, but you can't buy better stats.
  • Myish - Sanctuary
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Sorry for the noobness of this next question but where do I go to get more pet skills for my Wolfling? Do these skills cost a lot of SP and are there lvl requirements? Perhaps if someone knows of a comprehensive list of pet skills somewhere you could strap on a link to it :P

Cool anyways, thanks for the responses guys! They really helped clear stuff up.b:victory
  • Aenil - Heavens Tear
    Aenil - Heavens Tear Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    There's a list of the skills in the Venomancer guide. You can buy new skills from the NPC in the SE corner of Arch. "Zoologist" or "Mrs. Zoologist", somethin like that. I believe I heard they cost 100k coins each.
  • Myish - Sanctuary
    edited October 2008
    Options
    OMG I passed by to see what some of the skills were and I was completely shocked as to some of the prices that the "Mrs. Zoologist" had! Completely rediculous early in the game... Can't even upgrade flesh ream to lvl 2 without paying 200000 money! Was hoping to get my pet to have = skills of wolves of my level but that's just ridiculous now rofl. It'll cost me something like 1000000 to get all the new skills and upgrade my old ones until I reach my lvl of wolves... Anyways, maybe I should post this somewhere else since its more like a complaint :P.

They should make it so that it costs less to upgrade starting skills or something cause the system of the "upgrade book" (1 book to upgrade any skill) is completely ridiculous. Anyone agree with me here?
  • Aenil - Heavens Tear
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Yeah, it 'is' a bit high.. But when ya think about it.. We're probably the strongest solo class in the game with our pets having no skills... So to increase our power even further should take a bit. I'd like to be able to do some lengthy quests to get the items though as well instead of just buying it from the npc. At the time I looked Mrs. Zoologist had:

Pet Collar: 10k "Name your Pet with this collar."
    Forget Scroll: 100k "Make a Pet forget a skill it has already mastered."
    Tame Book: 200k "Upgrades one Pet skill by one level."
    Bash Scroll: 300k
    Flesh Ream Scroll: 300k
    Fireball Scroll: 300k
    Icicle Scroll: 300k
    Toxin Scroll: 300k
    Thunderbolt Scroll: 300k
    Sandblow Scroll: 300k
    Roar Scroll: 150k
    Howl Scroll: 750k
    Pierce Scroll: 750k
    Threaten Scroll: 750k
    Shrill Scroll: 900k
    Slow Scroll: 900k
    Tough Scroll: 300k
    Boost Scroll: 300k

So as you can see.. A bit expensive...

Also I'm working on a list for the Venomancer and Pet Skills with the PWI information. I believe Crustaceous is Tough in this one, right? O.oa Hehe. Need to pick it up for my Crystalline Magmite. Guess I could just catch one of the other golems and find out... Anyway... ^.^

And I'm not sure if she just restocks at times or if she ever runs out... I saw several open slots in her shop. But I'm no expert on all this. =)
  • Chiraz - Heavens Tear
    Chiraz - Heavens Tear Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    I suppose the prices of petskills are one good reason to tame a higher level beast, I do like my darkbreed's Howl. When I get the coins I can tame a low level pet, raise it and buy skills. The only thing 'lost' is the water used.

I've kept, more or less, track of their stats since level 19 and was wondering if more people else have done something similar, we could then collect this info. I know I am interested in the actual development of the stats of some (popular) pets.
  • Aenil - Heavens Tear
    edited October 2008
    Options
    I've kept track of my bunny's stats by level for the most part. I think I missed 1 or 2 levels when I was just mindlessly farming with it to raise its level though. >.> I do find it interesting how the level progression develops though. =)
  • Myish - Sanctuary
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Pets are awesome true and I guess in the long run those prices actually do make quite a bit of sence... I'm gona be keeping my generic starter wolf tho cause I just got attached to him :P (I just changed his name (cause the collar was cheap b:pleased) to Yammiron (those of you who played Guild Wars may remeber both my character's name and my pets name from the elemental bosses named Myish, Lady of the Lake and Yammiron, Ether Lord!). Eventually when I get those 50 hay things for the pet slot increase quest I'll maybe get a more leet pet but for now my wolfy and Petite Sawfly are going to mop the floor with their high stats :) (but no skills b:cry)

Thanks again for the responses guys! It's people like you that keep us noobs from rage-quitting!b:thanks
  • azndevil95
    azndevil95 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Ok I was looking around if anyone had a similar question and I couldn't find one so I'm making this new post... That said, I wanted to know if there were any advantages of keeping a lower class pet instead of taming a higher evolution of the pet when you are a higher level...

EX: All venos get either a starting wolf or scorpion at the beginning. Is there any advantage of keeping this same started pet and level it up appropriately (to your own level) or taming another pet of a higher level. (like a wolf that starts at lvl 12 rather than one you trained to lvl 12 from lvl 2).

Wow once again my explanation is confusing myself... hopefully someone understands me :P

hmm well, i've kept my wolfling and im level 39 right now. his stats are:
    HP:1094
    Damage:862
    Phys. Atk:566.

he has very good stats for the type of monster he is, so there is an advantage for keeping it - it gets good stats(sometimes). but there are downfalls: you'd have to buy them more skills and stuff, etc. its just up to you really i guess.
  • Mohkano - Sanctuary
    Mohkano - Sanctuary Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    In my opinion, by the time you get to the point in the game where those skills are crucial, you will have the money for them, especially as a venomancer. Just by farming mats and selling DQ items, I can afford a 100k~300k investment around level 25 on my BM/MG. I can imagine for a veno, standard leveling, the skills aren't hugely important, but they will become important by the time you start dealing with bosses and dungeons and things such as that.

In my opinion, get the best stat pet, because as long as you don't mind spending a bit of time with the game, you'll have the money you need.
  • Surfer_Rosa - Sanctuary
    Surfer_Rosa - Sanctuary Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    The starter wolf is a frequently underrated pet, it's a good damage dealer, somewhat fast and fairly small sized. While it will not excel in any given area it also has no weak points. The price for skilling low level pets is well worth it and seems balanced to me. It becomes relatively cheaper at higher levels as it doesn't increase, while it's being somewhat unaffordable at the low range has the benefit of preventing what could be costly mistakes. Low level pets are simply a better choice when compared to other members of it's "family" and better skills provide an advantage mostly in certain types (water pets for instance) which may not be worth leveling up.
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    As someone once put it.

"You can always buy skills to upgrade your pet, but there is NO WAY to buy stats for you pet."
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.