Give us male genies!

Options
Enina - Heavens Tear
Enina - Heavens Tear Posts: 263 Arc User
edited July 2009 in Suggestion Box
I was looking over various pictures and such from the upcoming expansion. And what struck me is that each and every genie is... female. I mean, seriously?!? Whatever happened to the old arabian myths of the genie being a dominantly MALE creature?

The Sage/Demon fairy is already female, why can't we have just ONE male genie? For goodness sake, there's actually -actual- females playing this game... Why can't -we- get something nice made for us?

So I'd very much like a little cute male genie to follow me around, kthxbai. b:thanks
Post edited by Enina - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• oromish
    oromish Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Yes please, give us some manly genies. preferably nude.
  • Vulpix - Lost City
    Vulpix - Lost City Posts: 533 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Those ARE male genies!

According to chinese folklore, male genies were made to look like females to trick and confuse prey!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    TY _Bloody_Fox_ for the sig ^_^
    I think venomancers are a pretty cool guy, eh mances the venom and doesn't afraid of anything.
  • Oldbear - Sanctuary
    Oldbear - Sanctuary Posts: 486 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    What's wrong with female genies? Or what exactly do you intend to use your genie for that it HAS to be male?
  • Zephyrx - Lost City
    Zephyrx - Lost City Posts: 1,563 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    What's wrong with female genies? Or what exactly do you intend to use your genie for that it HAS to be male?

Yea.... us males (more than 50% of the population) likes hot female Genies? I like my genies with 2 melons!
    Position: Professional Forum Troll
    Position Details: Be able to incite people to flames and perform miracles such as telling people what's right and what's wrong. Be able to dish out flames to other people so fire extinguishers are needed to put out the flames. Most of all, giving others a piece of reality.

ZephyrX is better than crack... he's your Anti-Drug
  • OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear
    OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Whatever happened to the old arabian myths of the genie being a dominantly MALE creature?

If they had intended them to be based on Arabic Mythology, they would have called them jinni which is specific to Arabic mythology. The word genie comes from the French genie* which comes from the Latin genius which means guardian spirit.

* there is supposed to be an accent on the first 'e'.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kasama
    kasama Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    I was looking over various pictures and such from the upcoming expansion. And what struck me is that each and every genie is... female. I mean, seriously?!? Whatever happened to the old arabian myths of the genie being a dominantly MALE creature?

The Sage/Demon fairy is already female, why can't we have just ONE male genie? For goodness sake, there's actually -actual- females playing this game... Why can't -we- get something nice made for us?

So I'd very much like a little cute male genie to follow me around, kthxbai. b:thanks

Yeah! Because this is an arabian game so there should be... oh wait.. no it's not!

The reason it's females is not so men has something nice to look at.. It's because females are not as judgmental as men are.. If the genies were male a lot of guys in the game would clam that they would be ****.. and it would create a lot of controversy which i'm sure PW does not want..
  • AndromedaB - Sanctuary
    AndromedaB - Sanctuary Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    kasama wrote: »
    Yeah! Because this is an arabian game so there should be... oh wait.. no it's not!

The reason it's females is not so men has something nice to look at.. It's because females are not as judgmental as men are.. If the genies were male a lot of guys in the game would clam that they would be ****.. and it would create a lot of controversy which i'm sure PW does not want..

as opposed to lesbians?
  • kasama
    edited April 2009
    Options
    as opposed to lesbians?

Men like lesbians.. Most women don't even think about it that way..
  • Enina - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Point remains that men have a LOT of eyecandy in the game (for goodness sake, I kill stuff in stilettos and armour that even Playboy would find risque. All of the humanoid pets but the Hercules are of the 'attractive' female phenotype, and the only 'male' pet is far from what I would call eyecandy.

It's just a matter, really, of seeing scantly clad female humanoids everywhere, and then find that yet ANOTHER aspect of the game contains... scantly clad female humanoids. Is it really so wrong that we girls get some eyecandy, too?
  • Vulpix - Lost City
    Vulpix - Lost City Posts: 533 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Point remains that men have a LOT of eyecandy in the game (for goodness sake, I kill stuff in stilettos and armour that even Playboy would find risqu

...I doubt Playboy would find any of the armor in here risque...considering..you know...they show girls naked...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    TY _Bloody_Fox_ for the sig ^_^
    I think venomancers are a pretty cool guy, eh mances the venom and doesn't afraid of anything.
  • Konariraiden - Heavens Tear
    Konariraiden - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,505 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options

Keep in mind that in the Chinese Version of Perfect World, these creatures were called Faries, which as most folklore would suggest, are predominately FEMALE creatures. The Localization Team simply changed the name to Genies (my theory being to sidestep the whole "Fairy" -- "Homosexual" jokes which would probably arise from the less mature playerbase). Unfortnately, not everything in the world is going to snap to the literal definitions pointed out by the general consensus of what the word signifies.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, it's me. Don't read to much into it, though; I'm only here for myself now, killin' time and chillin' when need-be. So sue me. Tch...
  • kasama
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Point remains that men have a LOT of eyecandy in the game (for goodness sake, I kill stuff in stilettos and armour that even Playboy would find risqu

Point is if you want something changed in this game.. there has to be a good reason why PW should change this.. Problem is that "i want to look at male nudity as well" is not a really good reason.. And it is far out weighted by the fact that it would not be popular by the majority of people in this game (most of which are male)..
  • Enina - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Sadly, the PWI interface refuses accents over words, and thus my post was cut shorter than I had wished it to be.

No, it's not a matter of nudity vs. clothed creatures. It's not a matter of sexuality, names or anything. It's a matter of the case that 99% of this game seems fully geared towards men and their mindset (which, frankly, results in less females playing the game, because not all women/girls like to run around flashing our panties at everyone), and women have little to look at in comparison.

In fact, the only thing I can think of is that male avatars can chose to forego the use of a shirt and run around shirtless..

So again, to point out, NO I don't want a male genie beacuse I want something 'sexy' to look at. I want a male genie simply for the change, and to have something that is NOT yet another female creature following me around.

By gods, we got enough venomancers and men who play female characters just for the looks as it is...
  • Zephyrx - Lost City
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Sadly, the PWI interface refuses accents over words, and thus my post was cut shorter than I had wished it to be.

No, it's not a matter of nudity vs. clothed creatures. It's not a matter of sexuality, names or anything. It's a matter of the case that 99% of this game seems fully geared towards men and their mindset (which, frankly, results in less females playing the game, because not all women/girls like to run around flashing our panties at everyone), and women have little to look at in comparison.

In fact, the only thing I can think of is that male avatars can chose to forego the use of a shirt and run around shirtless..

So again, to point out, NO I don't want a male genie beacuse I want something 'sexy' to look at. I want a male genie simply for the change , and to have something that is NOT yet another female creature following me around.

By gods, we got enough venomancers and men who play female characters just for the looks as it is...

To Red text: But woman who run around in panties and no clothes are cool... b:chuckle. Well, cool for the first 10 seconds.

And I really want to rip my shirt off in PWI, but I can't seem to find the button b:cry

To MediumTurquoise text: Yea, I keep hitting on wrong people b:angry
    Position Details: Be able to incite people to flames and perform miracles such as telling people what's right and what's wrong. Be able to dish out flames to other people so fire extinguishers are needed to put out the flames. Most of all, giving others a piece of reality.

• OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear
    OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    In fact, the only thing I can think of is that male avatars can chose to forego the use of a shirt and run around shirtless...

Sometimes fantasy mirrors reality, yes?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Enina - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Fascinating how a plea to make the game less biased towards males have turned out to be personal attacks.. I don't mind that there's some eyecandy in a game - heck, this is what this thread is all about. But what I -do- mind is that all implemented eyecandy seems to appeal to the male population and utterly disregards what female players that might be.

Let me sum up, then, shall we?

Male characters: Senisible, protective armour regardless of class. 'Underwear' state consists of strange boxers. 'Unequipped Armour State' (if you remove all of your armour, but remain in "normal" dressed mode) varies, but is usually sensible and looks like training leathers. The barbarian is modelled after a gladiator, but, still, maintains his dignity. In Fashion mode, the male can mix and match pants and shirt, but has the option to bypass shoes and shirts to run around in a more 'feral' style.

Female characters: Ridiculously ornamented armour that leaves far too many weak spots open in favour of being 'sexy'. Armour, regardless of type, is also skin-tight. Shoes are mandatory in the form of a permanently attatched set of high heels. 'Underwear' state consists of a strip of cloth around the chest, long-legged underwear and platau shoes. 'Unequipped Armour State' consists of panty-short skirt and a torso armour that only just hides the ****. In Fashion mode, the female is forced into a varity of skirts that are either full-leg length or are panty-short. Unlike the armours, the torso fashions can actually cover the chest region.

Females are in 95% of the cases forced into clothing that is revealing. Most of the female NPCs, aside from the 'Tailor' phenotype, are also skimpy clad to appear more attractive to the male playerbase.

And now we get the Genies, who -also- happen to be A) female (I don't care if they were fairies in the Chinese version, as there's plenty of male fairies in the european folk legends) and B) skimp clad. AGAIN! See the pattern?

We've got a lot of male NPCs, so why can't we have some male genies, too? The whole Yin and Yang aspect that encompasses the five elements also reflects aspects of male and female, so it'd fit in fine...
  • mbrunestud
    mbrunestud Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    men are inherently uglier creatures than wimenz. the male humanoid pet other than herc is the eldergoths, which obviously reflects my previous statement :D

i dont think anyone's attacking you personally, at least, dont take it that way
  • Konariraiden - Heavens Tear
    Konariraiden - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,505 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Don't whine to us or the PWI team...learn some Chinese and whine to the devs who actually control those aspects of the game...if you come up with a plan to do that, you have my full-on support.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, it's me. Don't read to much into it, though; I'm only here for myself now, killin' time and chillin' when need-be. So sue me. Tch...
  • Zephyrx - Lost City
    edited April 2009
    Options

Female characters: Ridiculously ornamented armour that leaves far too many weak spots open in favour of being 'sexy'. Armour, regardless of type, is also skin-tight. Shoes are mandatory in the form of a permanently attatched set of high heels. 'Underwear' state consists of a strip of cloth around the chest, long-legged underwear and platau shoes. 'Unequipped Armour State' consists of panty-short skirt and a torso armour that only just hides the ****. In Fashion mode, the female is forced into a varity of skirts that are either full-leg length or are panty-short. Unlike the armours, the torso fashions can actually cover the chest region.

Females are in 95% of the cases forced into clothing that is revealing. Most of the female NPCs, aside from the 'Tailor' phenotype, are also skimpy clad to appear more attractive to the male playerbase.

And now we get the Genies, who -also- happen to be A) female (I don't care if they were fairies in the Chinese version, as there's plenty of male fairies in the european folk legends) and B) skimp clad. AGAIN! See the pattern?

We've got a lot of male NPCs, so why can't we have some male genies, too? The whole Yin and Yang aspect that encompasses the five elements also reflects aspects of male and female, so it'd fit in fine...

Well it's very true what you say. But you have to consider the majority of idiot males (ha, did I say idiot? I meant IQ deficient.. my bad lol) who like to see dumb people in less clothes than a male going to a clothing store (trust me girl, the male gender doesn't do a whole lot of clothing shopping for the most part).

Well, if the entire human race is dignified and educated to know what's on the outside doesn't matter (like the episode of American Dad where Stan is actually bald... ahhh.. mwuahha, the worlds knows the truth!). Then it would be more diginfied and create proper clothing for the female gender.

The solution in my part would be brainwash most of the population of males with advertisment of sexy girls in lots of clothing. The less revealing, the hotter it would be. Then game companies have no choice but to cloth the actual female warrior in the same attire as the male warrior (or Blademaster, w/e, I don't a dam about class name).

Anyhow... the only thing you can do is lower the stat bonus of female equipment lol. I mean.. your showing your panties girl and it gives over 1000 def? Wt da heck? Lower that defense girl!

• Moodyflame - Harshlands
    Moodyflame - Harshlands Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    because female genies own, they look like fairy's, and male fairy's are rare b:pleased
  • Devarsi - Sanctuary
    Devarsi - Sanctuary Posts: 542 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    hey guys wear TT90 light armor... thats tight fit and shows their belly.. haha (also looks awfully dumb in my opinon)

and what are you talking about girls being forced to be in skimpy clothing..

there are plenty of fashions that aren't skimpy.. of course you have the bikini and the duke rose and that new sunshine set or whatever (which just screams street walker to me..)

also have you looked at the female arcane armor? in general it shows belly and shoulders (most of the time just shoulders).. with long skirts

check ecatombs out before you say that all the things girls wear are forcing them into skimpy clothing

also yea.. the name genie has nothing to do with these things.. they are fairies that have been named improperly
  • Davitiel - Heavens Tear
    Davitiel - Heavens Tear Posts: 978 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Although these genies look female, they are elemental spirits that personify and embody the five elements. The elements are not gender based therefore neither are the genies. Its best to think them as genderless beings and the female look of the genies is just an image. As for the genies being to "revealing", genies are clothed in their natural element and made to look more natural. Clothing is something made by humans and its only natural that these genies be drawn to look more natural.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    And now faith, hope, and charity remain; but the greatest of these is charity.
  • bellaberri
    bellaberri Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    What the OP said has some merits. However, sex does sell and the steretype female avatar these days all look over sexed and skimpily clad.

That is basically the trend that the entire society (at least here in US) is going...even little girls are getting brainwash now as to what looks good and what looks bad...just look at the brats dolls. (aside) I have to ask parents out there why do they allow their 6 yr old little girls play with skimpily glad dolls with too much makeup such as those.

It's typical media brainwashing...and PWI is just following the trend.

So with that say, I agree with the OP and I would definitly like to see a tiny Peter Pan as my genie versus a tinkerbell. Heck they should just do away the sex issue and make the genie non-human/humanoid. I personally would like to see a tiny Chinese dragon floating around me granding me wishes (think Mulan the movie ) now that would be cool and appropriate to the game setting vs. fairies that are really a Western mythology.
  • Afet - Heavens Tear
    Afet - Heavens Tear Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    bellaberri wrote: »
    What the OP said has some merits. However, sex does sell and the steretype female avatar these days all look over sexed and skimpily clad.

That is basically the trend that the entire society (at least here in US) is going...even little girls are getting brainwash now as to what looks good and what looks bad...just look at the brats dolls. (aside) I have to ask parents out there why do they allow their 6 yr old little girls play with skimpily glad dolls with too much makeup such as those.

PW-Beijing isn't a US company, and the game isn't based on Western mythology.
  • Surfer_Rosa - Sanctuary
    Surfer_Rosa - Sanctuary Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    While this game does somewhat catter to "straight" men, i don't think a male genie (even if to all practical purpose they're fairies) should be that offensive. While certainly i do agree with posters expressing how using females for such characters can be considered less "controversial", i do feel the need to express this is hardly because of more accepting attitudes towards lesbians, and that in fact this does promote such values so as to make it harder for established society to accept females in same gender relationships. Society as a whole is far more tolerant towards male homosexuality than it is to lesbianism... That being said, it seems very likely all female genies was probably a mainly aesthetic choice (yes, we could discuss why this could be considered so) and as such should be mostly regarded in such terms. Fantasy as a genre, even in contemporary renditions, is a field that cannot be closely constrained by political correctness.
  • elmii
    elmii Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Point remains that men have a LOT of eyecandy in the game (for goodness sake, I kill stuff in stilettos and armour that even Playboy would find risque. All of the humanoid pets but the Hercules are of the 'attractive' female phenotype, and the only 'male' pet is far from what I would call eyecandy.

It's just a matter, really, of seeing scantly clad female humanoids everywhere, and then find that yet ANOTHER aspect of the game contains... scantly clad female humanoids. Is it really so wrong that we girls get some eyecandy, too?

Agreed b:thanks And we never said ONLY male genies, they could make both genders for them :P
  • Holystic - Sanctuary
    Holystic - Sanctuary Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    while you at it please give us male Venos, female Barbs and Less fufu male elfs - Thanks b:thanks and as for eye candy, give the lady what she wants ..some Chippendales boytoys b:laugh
  • Devarsi - Sanctuary
    Devarsi - Sanctuary Posts: 542 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    i'd settle with some bug fixes .. we don't need more features when there are ones in game not working properly
  • XXxZisicAxXx - Harshlands
    XXxZisicAxXx - Harshlands Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    I agree wit deva but ya... I think it would be no problem to put in a male genies as long as its not random gender when you buy it... lol
  • Megalomania - Harshlands
    Megalomania - Harshlands Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Agreed, the Veno is a walking *****(prostitute).

Look at her boobies bounce and her **** shake like shes getting paid to do it when she walks.

And you can barely call the female armor... armor rather than a mini-skirt and a bikini?

I could understand how females wouldn't enjoy this game as much since their gender is a walking sex image while the male characters get to look tough.