How does the Frostblade really work?

Pirodar - Sanctuary
Pirodar - Sanctuary Posts: 157 Arc User
edited May 2009 in Wizard
I'd like to know how does the Frostblade work. I know the description - Here it is in case of skill level 5 (taken from ecatomb):

"Breathe an icy breath onto a squad member's weapon allowing giving their normal attacks extra Water damage equal to 20% of your base magic attack. Lasts 15 minutes"

The problem is: it's not true :). I did a test. I have over 5k min. base M attack and my skill is at level 5. According to description I should add over 1k water damage to my melee attacks, by self buffing, but the numbers I saw said very different story. My melee damage didn't increase even by a 100.

I'd also want to know if it works with cleric's plume shot. I've met clerics who requested the buff, because they believed, it works. Of course they didn't bother to test it.

If anyone knows something about it or has some interesting test results please shed some light.
Post edited by Pirodar - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Calliope - Heavens Tear
    Calliope - Heavens Tear Posts: 328 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Here's a better description:
    Append an icy breath onto the party member's weapon, allow the normal attack to have additional 20% of frost damage base on the equipment attack damage, last for 15 minutes.

It scales to their weapon damage, and only affects normal attacks.
  • Pirodar - Sanctuary
    edited April 2009
    Thx that explains the skill

But now I'm wondering if it's just an unintentional screwup during translation or do they have an enemy agent in the team. Or maybe they are trying to increase wizards morale and lie in purpose, knowing nobody bothers to test anyway. 30% of high level pure int wizard's base M attack is something that could make the skill worth using. Nice try:)
  • Lareish - Harshlands
    Lareish - Harshlands Posts: 647 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Still, it should make a nice add-on for the melee fighters :) Especially when matching against the water-weak mobs ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Harshlands || Lareish (Wz), Enraged Executor || AKA Howl Leader Garmr

~~ ~~~ The semi-sane, optimistic cynic with a light heart. ~~~ ~~
  • kaila
    kaila Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Test it on Fire mobs with melee class b:laugh
  • Rule - Heavens Tear
    Rule - Heavens Tear Posts: 579 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    It adds water dmg to melee class attacks. How much dmg it adds is really very questionable. Dunno if it really does much of anything.
  • CeliaZ - Sanctuary
    CeliaZ - Sanctuary Posts: 901 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    It adds water dmg to melee class attacks. How much dmg it adds is really very questionable. Dunno if it really does much of anything.

Only melee or also normal arrows of archers?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Rule - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2009
    My aplogies, it should also be archers. But no real dmg change has ever been mentioned.
  • Calibix - Heavens Tear
    Calibix - Heavens Tear Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    My aplogies, it should also be archers. But no real dmg change has ever been mentioned.

I randomly buffed some archer in Immolation Camp and he was constantly coming back for rebuff. Said it added about 700 dmg per shot. Of course, they were all fire mobs. Not the greatest data, but at least its a start.
  • AndromedaB - Sanctuary
    AndromedaB - Sanctuary Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    I randomly buffed some archer in Immolation Camp and he was constantly coming back for rebuff. Said it added about 700 dmg per shot. Of course, they were all fire mobs. Not the greatest data, but at least its a start.

so this buff is supposed to help us how?
  • Pirodar - Sanctuary
    edited April 2009
    so this buff is supposed to help us how?

Ha ha ha. Oh irony.

Now we poor wizards with self esteem problems have a real trouble. If the skill is useless - bad, it just confirms our uselessness. If it helps archers - bad. It increases their damage dealing abilities making us less valuable as DDs- the role we strive to compete for.

Thx for a datapoint. It seems the skill actually makes a difference.
  • Coldflash - Dreamweaver
    Coldflash - Dreamweaver Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited April 2009

Ha ha ha. Oh irony.

Now we poor wizards with self esteem problems have a real trouble. If the skill is useless - bad, it just confirms our uselessness. If it helps archers - bad. It increases their damage dealing abilities making us less valuable as DDs- the role we strive to compete for.

Thx for a datapoint. It seems the skill actually makes a difference.

Oh no! We're suddenly less desireable because we can add some decent additional damage to other DDs? What ever will we do? /sarcasm Honestly yeah, archers are better DPS, so what? I enjoy playing wizard, and the less wizards that get high level the more likely I can get my demon/sage skill books cheaper.

As for frostblade, well yeah so it doesn't help us too much, so what? We get into a party we got a buff for the melee people. If it works like the skill description, which I doubt, then fist BMs and archers who only reg attack will get the most use out of it. If it doesn't work like the description well that sucks but meh, I still think wizzies rock.
  • RapiBurrito - Heavens Tear
    RapiBurrito - Heavens Tear Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    It's not useless for Wizards!!!!

Ask a Melee Wiz!!! b:bye
  • evilramen
    evilramen Posts: 173 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    so if i cast FB on a melee class, and they are fighting a water element, will it decrease the damage they do on the mob?
  • Rinnve - Lost City
    Rinnve - Lost City Posts: 473 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    evilramen wrote: »
    so if i cast FB on a melee class, and they are fighting a water element, will it decrease the damage they do on the mob?
    Just the opposite. This buff gives add-on damage which is reduced by mob's water defence but not to 0.
    --
    PWonline.ru, Sirius: Иней, 70 cleric - off.
    PWI, Lost City: Rinnve, 7X wiz (frozen);
    Allods Online, Раскол: Риннве, 2X occultist
  • Mizorie - Lost City
    Mizorie - Lost City Posts: 598 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    I heard that the skill only works in pve, it does not work in pvp. Not sure if its true or not.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dalamaar: Mizorie you have no soul.
  • evilramen
    evilramen Posts: 173 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    oh cool, so the frostblade adds damage no matter what, thats a pretty neat skill afterall.
  • MoiDixMois - Lost City
    MoiDixMois - Lost City Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Ask a Melee Wiz!!! b:bye

melee wiz?img
  • Mikel_oru - Sanctuary
    Mikel_oru - Sanctuary Posts: 610 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    I'd also want to know if it works with cleric's plume shot. I've met clerics who requested the buff, because they believed, it works. Of course they didn't bother to test it.

No, it doesn't work on Cleric's Plume Shot.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WitchBurner - Sanctuary
    WitchBurner - Sanctuary Posts: 1,394 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    It exists purely to make us look useful >.>
    Currently flying internet spaceships around dodixie, moving to amarr soon.

Send me a mail if you wanna ask/request anything

Sanctuary's retired king of wizards alongside queen Saintblu.
  • Pirodar - Sanctuary
    edited May 2009
    It exists purely to make us look useful >.>

Oh no, what have I done!? With this thread I've ruined everything. Now they won't fall for it any more b:cry
  • WitchBurner - Sanctuary
    WitchBurner - Sanctuary Posts: 1,394 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    lol, I've started to get alot of requests for it from clerics even though I'm pretty sure it won't affect physical magic skills.
    Currently flying internet spaceships around dodixie, moving to amarr soon.

Send me a mail if you wanna ask/request anything

Sanctuary's retired king of wizards alongside queen Saintblu.
  • Rule - Heavens Tear
    edited May 2009
    Need to get some tests on this going. Everyone grab a class and test it some.