The wheel is spinning but the hamster's dead.

Dunergo - Sanctuary
Dunergo - Sanctuary Posts: 123 Arc User
edited April 2009 in Twilight Temple (West)
Hello, Im from a Faction named Hellzfire. In this faction, we have been trying to recruit people who r active, but we always end up with low-lvls who never seem to log back in....

I do not know anything about how u properly find recruits for your faction. Can someone give me any pointers?
Post edited by Dunergo - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Oldbear - Sanctuary
    Oldbear - Sanctuary Posts: 486 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Hello, Im from a Faction named Hellzfire. In this faction, we have been trying to recruit people who r active, but we always end up with low-lvls who never seem to log back in....

I do not know anything about how u properly find recruits for your faction. Can someone give me any pointers?

You may as well continue here and tell why you created this faction and what you want to accomplish. Avoid stereotypes like "we just wanna have fun" "we just wanna be cool faction". Stand out a bit.

Btw I'm terrible teacher. I need to put together a core squad for my guild and having not much luck either. Probably too high demands but then again I need players who'd stay not the tumbleweed kind who goes to the next faction as the wind changes.

However I guess you need the same- good core players who'll be your general staff and who'll stick with you. Just tell them why come under your banner.
  • MorgulLord - Sanctuary
    MorgulLord - Sanctuary Posts: 270 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Completely agree with Oldbear.

What written below is applicable for new factions. The old and more established factions usually have people coming to them for joining and not the other way around <But I'm sure you already knew that ^^>

The most important thing about any guild is to build a solid core of loyal members. Members who will stick with you during hard times. Once you get such a core, start recruiting more members. When you look for new members, dont judge them by their levels. Remember - A guild is only as good as the worst player in it.

Once your guild has a good bunch of people, they wil start finding more people for you. Its not going to be easy, esp in Sanc which has a lot of established guilds. But, its still possible. :)

Good luck with your guild.

~Morgul
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally...
  • Lylin - Sanctuary
    Lylin - Sanctuary Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    It might also help if you didn't stop when people get things like hercules and phoenix and tell them that you hope they die and lose them. Not that it's possible for that to happen anyway.
  • _WillFire_ - Sanctuary
    _WillFire_ - Sanctuary Posts: 563 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    It might also help if you didn't stop when people get things like hercules and phoenix and tell them that you hope they die and lose them. Not that it's possible for that to happen anyway.

Well...this was random and personal. b:sad

Back to the OP...

Add to what the others have said...be prepared to have no life. A leader has to do exactly that...lead. It would be good if all of your core group can pinch hit as leader. The danger of a single charismatic leader is that if they leave/burn out/RL issues...the faction dies.

Have simple rules and for heaven's sake *enforce* them.

Good luck.
    Mark 12:29-37
    _WillFire_ 8x Combat Medic
  • Oldbear - Sanctuary
    Oldbear - Sanctuary Posts: 486 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Which was exactly what happened to the Templari. It was built on sole leader and she was...is very charismatic good leader.

When she took a long break due to tough situations in real life the guild started to bleed dry. And from old guard nobody was ready to sacrifice their fun play and take a second (virtual) job instead. And one has to understand some of people already have lot of responsibilities IRL. There's a limit how much one can and want to handle.

Sidenote: Sacrificing means give up fun and take responsibilities for people in your command. It IS pressure and some of the finest guild leaders in PW are having that now. Seriously- all of you guys and girls out there who lead successful guilds - my hat off to you for handling all the pressure put on you and keep on going!

Continues: officially there were ranks and officers but people were already looking around. so it went down. Sad part is guild had some finest role-players I've ever seen in it's golden age who now are high levels and scattered all over the world

She made a very brief comeback and almost immediately small core was re-established again. but this small core now consisted 4 players of LV60+ each.
    That means every new member had solid backup for every boss quests.
    And offline she went again. Nobody blames her- you gotta do what you gotta do if your life demands it. But the charisma were gone again. During the "2nd renaissance" this old **** BM here (me, guildless all the way from 1-62) was recruited. Same wheel kept on spinning and now we're dry again. Almost. But I aint leaving and I'm prepared to go on solo member if I have to. Lots of small guilds have gone down like that and will be doing so in future. I've had time to figure out some ideas about fun events for future and also start collecting/buying good quality gear for guild shop to ease leveling of future members and shop inventory will continue to grow. But enough about my skeleton guild.

The 1-st Q for every new guild leader is "Are you so determined to have the guild that you're prepared to carry on solo if you have to?" if you do you have chance.
    2-nd Q would be "are you ready to give up your fun and carefree playstyle for the sake of your core members and other members?" if you are - you have chance to succeed.

Edit: Some who know the story may be tempted top say - there was more than just a leader in exile. But remember that good guilds don't wash their laundry in front of public. Everybody has problems.
  • Neferiti - Sanctuary
    Neferiti - Sanctuary Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Quality first, quantity after. It all depends of what you want to accomplish Dunergo. From my experience with factions and alliances on many mmorpgs, best thing to do is to start with a small interview and give it a trial period. If the new member shows to be inactive or not compatible, don't be afraid to let him go. I think that one of the biggest mistakes is to let inactive people counting numbers inside a faction.
    my two cents.

Good luck!
  • TheDan - Sanctuary
    TheDan - Sanctuary Posts: 3,495 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Quality first, quantity after. It all depends of what you want to accomplish Dunergo. From my experience with factions and alliances on many mmorpgs, best thing to do is to start with a small interview and give it a trial period. If the new member shows to be inactive or not compatible, don't be afraid to let him go. I think that one of the biggest mistakes is to let inactive people counting numbers inside a faction.
    my two cents.

Good luck!

You have the right idea. Successful factions must be built from the ground up. Loyal Officers who will stick by you until the end, are essential assets. They need to be on the same page as you. Same goes for the members who aren't officers.

Your faction is only as big as how many are online. People perceive that my guild is large, but in reality we're not high in numbers, just high in activeness. No reason to fill the guild with randoms that "stay for pay." In-actives are dead weight basically lol.

Getting to the point here - What I'm trying to say is that guilds will grow over time, be careful who you invite, think - "will they be a good asset to the faction?" Get to know your people, and interact with them. Make sure you have a solid base, and your guild will grow naturally.
    BM PvP Guide: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1320761

YouTube channels: youtube.com/TheDan912 and youtube.com/TheDanPWI
  • Dunergo - Sanctuary
    Dunergo - Sanctuary Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    You have the right idea. Successful factions must be built from the ground up. Loyal Officers who will stick by you until the end, are essential assets. They need to be on the same page as you. Same goes for the members who aren't officers.

Your faction is only as big as how many are online. People perceive that my guild is large, but in reality we're not high in numbers, just high in activeness. No reason to fill the guild with randoms that "stay for pay." In-actives are dead weight basically lol.

Getting to the point here - What I'm trying to say is that guilds will grow over time, be careful who you invite, think - "will they be a good asset to the faction?" Get to know your people, and interact with them. Make sure you have a solid base, and your guild will grow naturally.

How do I know when i find the right person to recruit? What should I ask and look for?
  • TheDan - Sanctuary
    TheDan - Sanctuary Posts: 3,495 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    How do I know when i find the right person to recruit? What should I ask and look for?

Knowing the right person to recruit is something you can't really judge, it all depends on what kind of goals you are interested in. If you are a pker, you might want other pkers. If you and another want to see the CareBears guild crumble, you might want them. A person you would want is someone who would fit your criteria or goal. I'm not in any position to tell you who you want, it all depends on you.

You could start off by asking what their goals are/what they want to accomplish - you should be on the same page, or something along the lines of it. Then perhaps get to know each other, bond, through Ventrilo, or in-game play, whatever you consider bonding.

My guidelines have always been to hand-pick people( people that can vouch for each other ), but until you have a solid core of people, you can't really do that, so you'll definitely need to know some people first. It's never easy, and it's tough work, unfortunately. But if you have the right mentality, mindset, and determination as a leader, you can pull through.

Consider what Oldbear had to say -
    The 1-st Q for every new guild leader is "Are you so determined to have the guild that you're prepared to carry on solo if you have to?" if you do you have chance.
    2-nd Q would be "are you ready to give up your fun and carefree playstyle for the sake of your core members and other members?" if you are - you have chance to succeed.

Anyways, if you want, you can contact me in game for a faster reponse, I'd be happy to share with you the knowledge I have. I tend to check forums only during server maintenance, or if I'm in class and can't get on. =]
    BM PvP Guide: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1320761

YouTube channels: youtube.com/TheDan912 and youtube.com/TheDanPWI