Weapon Progression Guide

Annor - Heavens Tear
Annor - Heavens Tear Posts: 330 Arc User
edited December 2012 in Archer
Weapon Progression Guide

Intended to answer those endless questions of "what do i use now?" and "when do i upgrade this?" Obviously it does not list every weapon... rather the ones i recommend for use.

KEY:
Cheap/Easy to acquire*
$ Expensive*
$$ Very Expensive*
☆☆ Recommended 2star weapon, 3star better, 1star if necessary

*relative to similar level equipment

Level 1-19
☆☆Ranged Weapon

20+
☆☆☆Trial Crossbow - Acquired from FB19 (Call to Duty / Challenge)

32+
☆☆Ranged Weapon (Various ☆☆ weapons, may be used until 50 or 60 depending on budget)

42+
★Sinister Shooter $ (Slingshot)

50+
☆☆☆General Summer's Longbow $$ - From Supply Stash, requires Perfect Iron Hammer (5gold from Boutique). While previously a good idea, with the inflation of gold prices this is now something you might be wise to skip.

60+
★Swiftwind Crossbow

69+ and 70+
★Wind and Clouds (Slingshot) - this may be used until 88 or 90 for those on a budget
★Thundercrack (Crossbow) - PVP

80+
★Flash Fire (Crossbow)(PVP)(Long-term) Upgrades to superior Blinding Radiance at 90
★Chained Jail (Crossbow)(PVP)(Short-term) Deadly effect
★Crimson Soulsmasher $$(Bow) - the 'premium' 8x weapon
★Returning Squall$$(Crossbow) - Pvp orientated legendary
★Striker (Slingshot)(PVE/Grinding)

88+
★Windcatcher (Crossbow)

90+
★Blinding Radiance (Crossbow)(PVP)
★Dragonbow (Bow)

Note that the ★TT Crossbows after level 60 require decomposition mats from earlier crossbows.

Useful Weapon Modifiers
(In rough order of strength/usefulness)

- Interval Between Hits> Increases fire rate of weapon, very effective for increasing damage output.
+ %Critical Hit> More crits, more damage spikes, more dead enemies (especially for pvp)
+ Physical Damage> Increases damage
+ Maximum Physical damage> Increases maximum damage
+ Range> Hit... from... further..
+ Dexterity> Damage/Crit etc
+ HP> Survivability
+ Vitality> Survivability
Meek with words, abrupt with arrows.
Post edited by Annor - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Annor - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2009
    Reserved...
  • Mosz - Heavens Tear
    Mosz - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,181 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    ./add silly argument for cheap/kinda good 90xbow Abomintion with the Revenge bonus for pve
  • Annor - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2009
    Windcatcher > Abomination? /shrug
  • Guardgodess - Sanctuary
    Guardgodess - Sanctuary Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Annor is such an invaluable gift to the archer world
  • angellicdeity
    angellicdeity Posts: 641 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Windcatcher > Abomination? /shrug

Windcatcher is only 2 levels off from the Blinding Radiance which in my opinion is much more effective.

Plus, you forgot the Punishing Thunder under the (very very very expensive category)
  • Elenacostel - Heavens Tear
    Elenacostel - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,822 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    From levels 2-19, you get quest rewards that are bows. There's no need to buy a better one; you go through those levels so quickly that it's not worth it.

- Level 2 - Stinging Bow
    - Level 8 - Snake Bow
    - Level 14 - Bow of the Clouds

At level 45, you can use the Bow of the Goddess. It is *slightly* below 3-star quality in terms of base stats, but it does have decent add-ons. It's a quest reward for killing Suzerix (level 46 quest). I remember buying this bow at level 45 for 40k and reselling the one I got as a reward at level 46.

I think you should add Penetrator (lvl 53, $$) and Solarslayer (lvl 61, don't know cost). While I personally think it's not worth it from the perspective of money, enough people use it that it should be mentioned.

Also, Unicorn (lvl 72, cheap) should at least be mentioned somewhere; it is dirt cheap and so many people use it. Perhaps you could caption it with "Get Winds and the Clouds instead".

A question: is Flash Fire that much better than Chained Jail, for PvP? Out of all of the TT crossbows, Chained Jail has the most appeal to me, but I do PvE only.
  • Lunnark - Sanctuary
    Lunnark - Sanctuary Posts: 325 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    As expected Annor did a terrific job with this simple guide !!! b:bye
    I saw the comments, and yes there are a few weapons that worth mentioning, but it is a guide after all, not a precise recipe to follow. Everybody will add to his weapon follow-up a personal touch (One may not like the looks of the slings and choose not to use any for example..etc).

Nice guide Annor !

I would like to add this link too, so the TT build is more clear to everybody :
    http://janelh.wdfiles.com/local--files/dusk-bows/bows.jpg

It's just up to you to figure out which weapon is which, because i don't have an exact translation either.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    i've seen +5 unicorns (with immaculate shards), and wonder what possesses people to do that.
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • Sepfiroth - Lost City
    Sepfiroth - Lost City Posts: 200 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Why isn't Returning Squall included in this guide?
  • Charizrd - Heavens Tear
    Charizrd - Heavens Tear Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    +1

Returning Squall and chained jail are far better weapons than flash fire (even with the 1% critic).

ofc the bow is the best at 80.
  • Annor - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2009
    A lot to consider here, I'm quite busy (with that real life thing -_-) these next few days, so I'll probably have to address it all a little later.

to make quick reference to some of the easier stuff:
    -I probably will mention Solarslayer
    -I probably won't mention the Penetrator... its extreme cost for its level (and short period of use before replacement with TT60) makes it fall well outside my ideology of play.
    -I'll add in Unicorn, but I really only see this as a PVP/PVE hybrid weapon, or a cheap PVP choice. Wind and Clouds is far superior for PVE and only slightly more expensive.
  • Elenacostel - Heavens Tear
    Elenacostel - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,822 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    -I'll add in Unicorn, but I really only see this as a PVP/PVE hybrid weapon, or a cheap PVP choice. Wind and Clouds is far superior for PVE and only slightly more expensive.

I agree; Winds and the Clouds is far superior. I think you should specifically point out that one should *not* get Unicorn.

Also, the guide should talk about what arrows to buy (only 2 sentences, I know).
  • Lunnark - Sanctuary
    Lunnark - Sanctuary Posts: 325 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    to make quick reference to some of the easier stuff:
    -I probably will mention Solarslayer
    -I probably won't mention the Penetrator... its extreme cost for its level (and short period of use before replacement with TT60) makes it fall well outside my ideology of play.

Solarslayer is just a trifle, considering the TT60 xbow choice.(unless you get the mold as drop from your own FB51). Why would I buy something that adds a decent HP boost nevertheless, but almost same damage with Swiftwind?! And all this just 1 level after the TT60 wep. I can understand perfectly why Annor didn't mention it!

Penetrator... don't make me laugh. The cost and timing of this weapon is so bad that it is just stupid to have it (again, i am not talking about a mold drop if you are lucky enough!). I just saw somebody last night selling one in Auction for 6.5mil. It had 2 flawless shards and was refined to +5. And I say this : People ...I know it is your damn choice, but what the hell is in your mind ??!! So, in conclusion, i think remaining unmentioned in the guide is a good idea!

Unicorn - this bow goes for 700k at best on Sanctuary, but usually you can get it at a price around 400k, even 300k. Being this cheap, I would buy this wep just for the pleasure of holding a bow in my hands from time to time(after all...I am an elf :D). But I wouldn't even think about giving up Wind and Clouds. Unicorn has a super-fair price and and substantial use in PvE for those on low budget, so imho, it could be mentioned too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • angellicdeity
    edited April 2009
    Unicorn - this bow goes for 700k at best on Sanctuary, but usually you can get it at a price around 400k, even 300k. Being this cheap, I would buy this wep just for the pleasure of holding a bow in my hands from time to time(after all...I am an elf :D). But I wouldn't even think about giving up Wind and Clouds. Unicorn has a super-fair price and and substantial use in PvE for those on low budget, so imho, it could be mentioned too.

On lost city you can make a Unicorn for 150K

50K each substance,

10K or less each Shard.

If you have your own Ultimate Substances, than 50K is the cost of a unicorn (+- 10,000 for some Skulls I believe)

It really is MUCH cheaper to make than the Wind & Clouds as far as Lost City is concerned.

The reason the Unicorn is soo popular is simply that its soo cheap to make that it doesn't need to be bound or have Guardian Angels protecting it (as far as Lost City is concerned)
  • Annor - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2009
    I don't play on Lost City, so perhaps some of that gameplay atmosphere is lost on me. I will say from my own experience though... that to be competetive, weapons need to be sharded and refined, which attaches a serious price tag on them.

Wind and Clouds should never cost more than around 500k -- it only requires a few chips from the cube. As you'll be using Unicorn/Wind for at LEAST 10 levels... the difference in price between unicorn and wind is not that significant in my opinion.
  • Kusider - Heavens Tear
    Kusider - Heavens Tear Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    How this isn't a sticky I don't know... I had to go to page 2 to find it. Gotta thank you for the helpful post.

Anyway, I'm getting bored of Sinister Shooter already, +2'ed it. Got about 1m to spend on a weapon now, but I don't know if it will keep up with the dps. Penetrator is off the mark with the crazy cost. Suppose I'll just hold out... for the crossbow
  • Annor - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2009
    np and ty ;)

While it's not a sticky, and it probably won't ever be... it's a lovechild of my (stickied) guide, and is linked there (in the body of the guide, and in the 'useful links' panel in the post just below the main body of text).

It's my little side project ^^
    (edit): or one of them..
  • angellicdeity
    edited April 2009
    I don't play on Lost City, so perhaps some of that gameplay atmosphere is lost on me. I will say from my own experience though... that to be competetive, weapons need to be sharded and refined, which attaches a serious price tag on them.

Yes, however,

The fact you need to decompose a weapon for the next Tier as far as a crossbow is concerned means that you do not shard or refine weapons that you intend to decompose anyways...

Thats why the Unicorn and Wind and Clouds are alternatives in the 70's. That way you can continue the TT chain.

In Lost City Terms, a Unicorn is much cheaper than a Wind of Clouds. There is a significant gap.

I can make a Unicorn for 50K if I farm the materials for 2 substances.

I can buy a Wind and Clouds Mold for 350K or 300K.

The difference in the two makes up for some shards or refines...
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    In Lost City Terms, a Unicorn is much cheaper than a Wind of Clouds. There is a significant gap.

I can make a Unicorn for 50K if I farm the materials for 2 substances.

I can buy a Wind and Clouds Mold for 350K or 300K.

The difference in the two makes up for some shards or refines...

O_o How can you compare prices if you are farming one and not the other?
    If you farm just 3 chips from the cube the wind and clouds mold is 100k (I think). On sanctuary you can sell 2 ultimate subs for 120k easy. Both are cheap enough to easily afford without raising an eyebrow. There isnt much of a difference in cost between a 100k weapon and a 300k weapon if you are going to be using it for 10 levels.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Dunergo - Sanctuary
    Dunergo - Sanctuary Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    is there an armor progression guide?
  • Annor - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2009
    Naw, if someone wants to write one they are welcome to though :D

Thats not even something i've considered due to the complexity such a guide would have to involve. If you look at my archer guide though, it does have recommendations for choosing armor pieces though.
  • liamm6
    liamm6 Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Annor, you're a genius. thankyou!
  • mbrunestud
    mbrunestud Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    ooooh have you checked out general summer's longbow? that thing is beast...that would've been insane at lvl 50.
  • Annor - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2009
    I did marvel at the new weapons, I'll have to look at it a bit later, the level 50 one will definately make it into the progression ;)

Genius? b:cute.. not really... but I do spend too much time here.

So hmm... should probably go study ;)
  • BloodCountes - Heavens Tear
    BloodCountes - Heavens Tear Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    I love my returning squall. b:dirty
    My people, some of them have run away to the hills
    and have no shelter. No food, no one knows where they are,
    hear me my chiefs, I am tired. My heart is sick and sad,
    I will fight no more....
  • Annor - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2009
    I'll look at the squall, ty ^^
  • Goldian - Dreamweaver
    Goldian - Dreamweaver Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Wind and the cloud refined +4 with 1 flawless phys atk shard here.

Well... lol i win from 85 wiz etc and i just do stun>regulars XD XD XD

Yea its fast.. best pve wep i think ill use it till late 80's like Annor just suggest.

Unicorn can kiss my ****, i own archers with unicorns and that whils using my slingie ... yea you heard it a slingie in pk.. ive been in pvp for 2 days <.< slingie is too fast , But.. i can't wait to get my tt80 xbow... im thinking of flash fire but yet, not sure ..

For the armor i bought the 69 mold pants of hede, 78 mold sorrow thing, ill have mold bracelet hlem and boots , but to be honest ... sling looks **** and xbow looks .. meh , bow jst looks the coolest <.< i might just get that expesnive 80 bow , what do you think?
  • Mosz - Heavens Tear
    Mosz - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,181 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    get the 80 expensive bow .
  • BloodCountes - Heavens Tear
    BloodCountes - Heavens Tear Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    get the 80 expensive bow .

What about the 80 xpensive xbow? b:thanks
    My people, some of them have run away to the hills
    and have no shelter. No food, no one knows where they are,
    hear me my chiefs, I am tired. My heart is sick and sad,
    I will fight no more....
  • Cyberacid - Sanctuary
    Cyberacid - Sanctuary Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    What about the 80 xpensive xbow? b:thanks

Good question. Thoughts anyone? lol I really would like to know since I have half the mats for it but I still can't decide I was having doubts about using barrage with gloom against mobs with mana drain (say, rebirth?) Anyone can give their two cents? Returning Squall Vs. Crimson Horn: Soulsmasher

Edit: after reading this, http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=150121&highlight=Returning+Squall+Crimson+Horn%3A+Soulsmasher It put sense in my head, tt80 gold bow it is lol