Hercules skill question

Options
serachu
serachu Posts: 0 Arc User
edited April 2009 in Venomancer
The buffs are awesome, but i'm not too convinced about the pounce lvl 2, stun and atk speed increase for short time. Well I don't see the reason to stun anything, except for pvp, and pvp is never on ground anyways xD
Besides, he has problems keeping aggro as it is now... so I'm playing with the thought to reskill him pounce for bash :S

Any input?

I'm new to this, so I'd appreciate some help :)
Post edited by serachu on

Comments

• Zoe - Heavens Tear
    Zoe - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,814 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Myself, and tons of other herc owners have replaced pounce with bash and it works wonders. No more agro stealing.
    Main characters
    Celestial Sage Venomancer Zoe - 100
    Sage Barbarian Malego - 91
  • unknown862
    unknown862 Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    if ur soloing bash is fine.. if u want to use hercules for tanking instance (FB and HH) with a party DD-ing, i recomment roar
  • Yourmom - Lost City
    Yourmom - Lost City Posts: 1,655 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    unknown862 wrote: »
    if ur soloing bash is fine.. if u want to use hercules for tanking HH in pt mode with a party DD-ing, i recomment roar

I've been running hh90 with a herc tanking, and we've had no problems with aggro on bosses with the herc using level 5 bash.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • unknown862
    edited March 2009
    Options
    the problem is not keeping aggro, problem is what happen if u lag or dc about halfway or when boss is almost dead, u come back there is no way for hercules to regrab aggro without ur party dying..

and pure dex archer will ks u in any fb pretty fast
  • serachu
    serachu Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    thanks a lot for the answers :)
  • Obsessed - Heavens Tear
    Obsessed - Heavens Tear Posts: 670 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    the problem is not keeping aggro, problem is what happen if u lag or dc about halfway or when boss is almost dead, u come back there is no way for hercules to regrab aggro without ur party dying..

If you lag or d/c you shouldnt be tanking.
  • unknown862
    edited March 2009
    Options
    lol when there is no other tanker.. u take wat u get ^^ ... Also, you can ask the numerous people i tank bosses for in CQ and GZ on lost city, i only dc once... n trust me once was enough for me to change from bash lvl 5 to roar lol .. the point is bash isnt solid proof to keep aggro and get instant aggro whenever... Try tanking fb89/99 bosses with full dex EA stealing aggro from you with just normal attacks ... 1 bash will surely not regrab aggro ...

Tank even as WB is
    (1) stay alive to take a beating
    (2) keep aggro
    (3) be able to retake it instantly if by any means they loose it
    (4) be able to cancel skills

Hercules doesnt use bash, flesh ream to keep aggro.. it keeps aggro primarily by using reflect buff ... Pet do full damage in HH while people do less damage, even if u turn off ur skills in HH and let pet only do normal atk, it can keep aggro (given it doesnt die)
  • Yourmom - Lost City
    Yourmom - Lost City Posts: 1,655 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options

who cares about ks in an fb, you're all in a party anyways.

lol when there is no other tanker.. u take wat u get ^^ ... Also, you can ask the numerous people i tank bosses for in CQ and GZ on lost city, i only dc once... n trust me once was enough for me to change from bash lvl 5 to roar lol .. the point is bash isnt solid proof to keep aggro and get instant aggro whenever... Try tanking fb89/99 bosses with full dex EA stealing aggro from you with just normal attacks ... 1 bash will surely not regrab aggro ...

Tank even as WB is
    (1) stay alive to take a beating
    (2) keep aggro
    (3) be able to retake it instantly if by any means they loose it
    (4) be able to cancel skills

Hercules doesnt use bash, flesh ream to keep aggro.. it keeps aggro primarily by using reflect buff ... Pet do full damage in HH while people do less damage, even if u turn off ur skills in HH and let pet only do normal atk, it can keep aggro (given it doesnt die)

We can't ask any of those people about your tanking, because you don't use your real name at all.

If an archer steals aggro from you and dies, its their fault and you should laugh at them. Especially if it happens more than once.

The herc definitely can take aggro with bash. I've seen two hercs (both 8x) bounce aggro back and forth between each other whenever they used bash to attack the boss. The reflect does something for aggro, but I don't think that its as much of a factor as people make it out to be.
    Also, if you put bash on auto-pet skill, you don't have to worry about lag unless you're unable to heal your pet and its dying.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sabai - Heavens Tear
    Sabai - Heavens Tear Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    I went with bash+ream on all my pets, roar could also be a good choice although you don't get any damage out of it.

I was thinking of adding it to my golem since I too often steal agro and time saved running is time to do damage. Is roar ranged? if it is, that could be really helpful on slow pets.
  • manfor
    manfor Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    who cares about ks in an fb, you're all in a party anyways.

I'm 99% sure unknown862 meant take aggro not kill steal and the reason you should care about that is as a tank its your job to keep aggro so your more squishy teammates can focus on doing their jobs rather than about staying alive.

If an archer steals aggro from you and dies, its their fault and you should laugh at them. Especially if it happens more than once.

Having the attitude "Haha because I failed in my job of keeping aggro he got killed roflmao....moron" is a bad attitude for a tank to have. If you can do something so that you can keep aggro even when everyone in your party is going full out to kill, you should do it. If you can't 1) you shouldn't be tanking unless you're the only (or best) option, 2) you should warn your party members and then if they out aggro you, you can laugh.

It may seem like that contradicts my point but the difference is they've been warned and so 1) are aware of the situation and 2) by staying in the party they've basically given acknowledgment that if they out aggro you its on them. If they're NOT aware of the fact they can out aggro you then lots of ppl (haven't done a poll or anything so can't give more accurate number lol) will do as much damage as they can (though it would be smart to not start out going full out and slowly increase what damage you do to test just how much you can do) and if they out aggro you once and then do it again they might of just thought it was a fluke the first time or something (but yes, I do have to concede that if they repeatedly out aggro you lots of times then they're not learning anything >_>'') I don't know how you play, so I don't know if you're the type like in the first paragraph (doesn't warn and just laughs) or the 2nd (warns and does what they can and THEN laughs) but you gave the impression of the first, so if you're actually the 2nd type I apologize if I've come across as hateful or such.

The herc definitely can take aggro with bash. I've seen two hercs (both 8x) bounce aggro back and forth between each other whenever they used bash to attack the boss.

As I've not been in such a situation myself before I can't say anything about 2 Hercs bouncing aggro back and forth for 100% sure but it seems to me that 2 pets same level and same skills (so they're basically identical) would do roughly the same damage and so have roughly the same amount of aggro. So thinking about that then you can conclude that its no surprise they bounced aggro back and forth and it means nothing about how much more aggro they had then other party members. If someone out aggroed 1 Herc they'd have out aggroed both Hercs (unless they got really lucky and they're aggro fell right in the small amount of aggro difference between the 2 Hercs).

PS: If any of this sounded harsh/mean I apologize, I tried to tone that down as much as I could.
    (The first draft of this post was a lot harsher b:embarrass b:quiet)

If roar can instantly grab back aggro (haven't gotten it yet so don't know) then it would seem better for use if you're party is capable of out aggroing you, but the counter argument for bash is also valid because 1) it does dmg and 2) if you're party isn't capable of out aggroing it then in that case it'd be the better choice. (basically it seems like its situation dependent)

Well that's just my 2 cents so don't bash me too hard if I'm wrong.

*Looks up* Wow...long post, sorry lol.

>_< **** http://bookblog.net/gender/genie.php thinks I'm a girl based off this post *has gender identity crisis*
    Satellite Internet: The permanent "hold on a sec" connection

Always ready with the S'mores and hot dogs for when the flames get going.
  • Sabai - Heavens Tear
    Sabai - Heavens Tear Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    There isn't or shouldn't be a lot of emotion in this, is roar a good option for a pet to get agro. Is it ranged. Let people decide to put money on it.
    Another question, Pets seem to have an odd way to agro, they hit for half damage but they hold agro and that's being nice on damage. So i hit 6500 pet hits 3100 pet has agro. Go figure... add to that on mobs 99+ they almost instantly agro the pet.
  • Manicero - Sanctuary
    Manicero - Sanctuary Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    not sure if this is the best place to ask but i got a veno with a herc and i got roar on it atm but saw a L8x veno with herc hold aggro alot better with bash then with roar. so my question is should i change roar to bash instead or just keep roar
  • Akiratojo - Heavens Tear
    Akiratojo - Heavens Tear Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    My herc has bash, and it takes and keeps aggro well. Roar is a good skill if you use herc for tanking a lot, its wonderful if a mage gets aggro from a boss and you need to regain it, but does no damage, basically if you use herc to PVE, then switch it to bash, if you use herc to tank in FB and TT/HH (with teams) keep roar.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    07-Ghost fan
    Warning: This user has bad spelling
  • Daerys - Sanctuary
    Daerys - Sanctuary Posts: 1,022 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    not sure if this is the best place to ask but i got a veno with a herc and i got roar on it atm but saw a L8x veno with herc hold aggro alot better with bash then with roar. so my question is should i change roar to bash instead or just keep roar

The trouble with answering that question is I'm not sure anyone knows exactly how much aggro Roar generates. I haven't seen anything and I've been searching for a while. The only thing I know for certain is that it generates a static amount of threat, unlike a Barbs Roar which just grabs instant aggro. Personally I don't care how much it generates since it deals no damage. I will trade what is probably at best slightly better aggro(it may not even be equal aggro) for faster boss kills any day of the week.

If your DD are ignorant of the fact that a herc doesn't hold aggro as well as a barb outside of TT then they have no business squading with you in my opinion.
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options

I tested it earlier in the week:

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=259391

My current operating theory is that Roar resets everyone's aggro counter to zero, and gives the pet some aggro (equivalent to ~5000 damage for Roar 4 in my test). That allows the pet to instantly draw aggro. However, Bash 4 seems to give about the same amount of aggro, plus it has aggro from damage on top, plus its cooldown is 8 sec vs. 15 sec for Roar.

So Roar is good for grabbing aggro if you must get it off a squishy char who accidentally drew it. But Bash is better for keeping aggro. (The elemental attacks could be just as good.)