Need help choosing a ranged class.

Options
The_Magician - Dreamweaver
The_Magician - Dreamweaver Posts: 35 Arc User
edited April 2009 in Dungeons & Tactics
I have been trying a few classes to see which one i like. I had it narrowed down to Full heal Cleric or Magician. I had a level 18 cleric and i couldnt even keep a level 20 magician alive while fighting a level 15 miniboss, so i figured i wouldnt be a cleric, and i died alot while being a cleric. I made a Wizard and got him to level 22 and I thought about making an archer because i saw one that was really good and shot things quickly and he like never got hit...he was only 23 too. Im thinking of making one, but i dont know if I should or just spend the time I'd be using on him to level him or just keep with my mage. I only ever here of Archers as being PvPers...are they still good at PvE? I really like my mage but i hate the slow casting time. Any information that compares Wizard and Archer will help, im sure. b:thanks
I....really have absolutely no idea what im doing. Just givin' you the heads up.

Proud Marshal of Pointless of Dreamweaver.

Serving a heapin' helpin' of Reality, hot.
Post edited by The_Magician - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Yayforme - Lost City
    Yayforme - Lost City Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    archers r the easier class 2 play

mages r very good endgame though
    UR ALL JEALOUS b:cool b:cool b:cool

IGN: YayForMe b:mischievous
  • Beastialiti - Lost City
    Beastialiti - Lost City Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    mages will pretty much get pked all the time on mid game (lvl 30-sumthing)
    but when u get sum specific skills. u can take a stand but u will have to invest time and money on your wizard
    my friend has an archer lvl 56 i think. he says that it cost him 3k a day for ammunition.
    but u can also get ammo from mobs. thru drops

playing a veno right now on mag build.. its the easiest for me to play cause i dont get my armor damaged (durability) and i have a pet as a tank and kinda damage over time thing.
    and u do insane damages. u will easily kill mobs your own level...venos are good for pve on low lvls. i dont know yet about pvp. (lets just say mag build have low survivability rate)

:) have fun playing the game
  • The_Magician - Dreamweaver
    The_Magician - Dreamweaver Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options

mages will pretty much get pked all the time on mid game (lvl 30-sumthing)
    but when u get sum specific skills. u can take a stand but u will have to invest time and money on your wizard
    my friend has an archer lvl 56 i think. he says that it cost him 3k a day for ammunition.
    but u can also get ammo from mobs. thru drops

I play one PvE servers, so the PKed thing shouldnt really affect me unless i put pk mode on...Isnt there a manufacturing skill, i think like blacksmith or something, that you can make arrows?

playing a veno right now on mag build.. its the easiest for me to play cause i dont get my armor damaged (durability) and i have a pet as a tank and kinda damage over time thing.
    and u do insane damages. u will easily kill mobs your own level...venos are good for pve on low lvls. i dont know yet about pvp. (lets just say mag build have low survivability rate)

:) have fun playing the game

I tried a mage veno...No offense or anything if you take it, but I found it to be kinda boring...I guess i like a challenge or a chance to die...Or i just like dying b:laugh
    I....really have absolutely no idea what im doing. Just givin' you the heads up.

Proud Marshal of Pointless of Dreamweaver.

Serving a heapin' helpin' of Reality, hot.
  • Beastialiti - Lost City
    Beastialiti - Lost City Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    lol its up to u.
    as others said
    "if you feel comfortable in doing what you are doing....stick with it"
  • XxRaynaHeart - Sanctuary
    XxRaynaHeart - Sanctuary Posts: 366 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Archers are excellent PVP class, high crit rate due to their mass dexterity. They handle mobs well and are good solo class. They level decently of you go through a good balance of quests and training.

Wizards are considered to have the highest damage in all of PW. They excell in mana and arcane attacks. They do fine in long rage at most. Ther est is up to the chooser, opinion also counts.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    MizukiMinoru ll Charisma Executor ll Active
  • Onlyjayy - Heavens Tear
    Onlyjayy - Heavens Tear Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    but very slow cast time. u have to run away like every 3 seconds.
    not that good i think
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    I had a level 18 cleric and i couldnt even keep a level 20 magician alive while fighting a level 15 miniboss,
    At that lvl no one spends on superb gear to make up for their mage squishyness.
    Squishy cleric + squishy magician =/= tank party
    Your situation is actually quite normal here, they would die.

so i figured i wouldnt be a cleric, and i died alot while being a cleric.
    That really depends on how alert you are while and off, of fighting. Have to ask yourself these questions:
    -Are you fighting the right mob for your lvl?
    -Are you fighting in a place where the mobs link?
    -Are you positioning yourself in an area where mobs can sneak up on you?
    -Are you rotating your camera angle from time to time to avoid it?
    -Are you watching the radar on the top right corner? (shows mob pop and position)
    -Are you estimating how low your HP/MP goes down with each kill?

Being a cleric youll have to watch yourself constantly. Even more so if your going full support because not only do you have to look our for yourself, but also EVERYONE elses HP/stats in the party PLUS the mob that is being fought. This is the babysitter job.
    I made a Wizard and got him to level 22 and I thought about making an archer because i saw one that was really good and shot things quickly and he like never got hit...he was only 23 too. Im thinking of making one, but i dont know if I should or just spend the time I'd be using on him to level him or just keep with my mage.
    Since your before Lv30 it would probably be nice to try anything your interested in. Not too late yet.
    I only ever here of Archers as being PvPers...are they still good at PvE?
    Fighting 1-3 mobs, I would think so from watching archer grinders around me. Any more than 3-5 mobs on them and I usually see them die or running/flying away. Clerics have and advantage on this as they have a stackable cure, ironheart, so depending on your build (im full MAG) you can take on 5+ mobs of decent grinding lvl once your ironheart Lv is decently high. Hopefully you dont link mobs tho and avoid this kind of situation.
    I really like my mage but i hate the slow casting time.
    There are some ornament gears (rings, belts, necklances) that have -%channeling gear starting from around the 30s or 40s. Those are special stats on gear like how you sometimes see +STR +VIT etc on gear. They help minimize the casting time and are stackable, thus the price becomes expensive. (unless your lucky and craft one with those stats yourself)

From what Ive seen, both archers and mage are useful in terms of attck, depending on your build and how much time you spend on your gear. Archers of course seem to have a better chance of survival tho and alot of whom I know are good dmg dealers and can semi-tank at the same time, which is extremely useful when the mob aggro is going ping-pong between tank and main dmg dealer. Of course, it shouldnt go ping pong in the first place but some bosses have a hate reset move and sometimes its inevitable.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • Averian - Lost City
    Averian - Lost City Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Okay, I wont go to the **** about what you should choose but to survive at low lvls as any range class, you gotta be smart. Like what deceptistar say, you have to ensure you take on mobs 1v1 and that they cant attk you from any angles. You see, i have a lvl 20 cleric and veno. Also my BM is 50. I am a sword BM so I cant take on more than one mobs at once myself. The maximum i can tank is 3 mobs and thats with hp pot and diamond sutra used. But i would not do it cause it waste my pots and my health suffers a lot after the attack. So what i do is, i find mobs isolated meaning not that they are not close to other mobs but attack the ones that would not come to you in a cluster. And ensure around you, the mobs are not too close. Then start attacking. I usually lure the mobs to where i want them and start attacking. So the trick is attack 1v1 at lower lvls at higher lvls, you would have skills that attack in a group and they would barely touch you and even if they did, you could use pots? well thats about all. personally as you are a beginner, clerics and mage I would not choose due to their difficulty in usage. veno are hard to use too but they have tanks for them and archers are a great choice for you cause they have high range and they are easier to use. However, remember those are only low lvls, at higher lvls, everyone becomes easy to use cause you are used to them and so choose the one you want based on your preference. Ask yourself, what is the thing you want to do in PWI? An insane dmg dealer, a healer everyone wants with decent dmg and amazing buffs, a soloer that earns tons of money and party only wants them to lure or a great pvp player with sweet range?