Shadou Cub vs. Qingfu

Options
Squeakytoy - Dreamweaver
Squeakytoy - Dreamweaver Posts: 660 Arc User
edited April 2009 in Venomancer
I recently obtained a Sahdou Cub, leveled it to 49, and taught it bash. But it still cannot hold aggro.

Then I started thinking about beetles. I looked at the stats of a Qingfu at level 90, and compared to the cub, seems fairly decent.

So which pet do you think will make the better tank?

Qingfu
Hp:2986, Atk:2137, P.Def:7758, M.Def:6565, Acc:1838, Evade:1021, Atk/s:0.8, Speed:6.5 m/s

Cub
Hp:3149, Atk:1888, P.def:7594, M.Def:7594, Acc:1649, Evade:1299, Atk/s:0.8, Speed:7.4 m/s
Post edited by Squeakytoy - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear
    OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    At holding aggro, the beetle, at defensese/health, the cub.

Are you letting the cub get a couple hits in before nuking the mob?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Squeakytoy - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Yes, I have been letting the cub get the first few hits. (I let him finish bash before casting my first spell. this lets him get at least 2 hits+bash) And I still pull aggro.

I was also wondering, would the Qingfu really hold aggro better with only 249 more attack at level 90?
  • Tearvalerin - Sanctuary
    Tearvalerin - Sanctuary Posts: 3,787 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    if you want an aggro holding a pet :| get a scorpion, eldergoth, or golem. better attack for the most part, and having used all three at one point can count theyd be better than a beetle
    edited April 2009
    Options
    I already have a golem. But he's big and ugly and I don't much like him.

I will admit, he is an amazing tank though. b:surrender
  • OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear
    OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Yes, I have been letting the cub get the first few hits. (I let him finish bash before casting my first spell. this lets him get at least 2 hits+bash) And I still pull aggro.

I was also wondering, would the Qingfu really hold aggro better with only 249 more attack at level 90?

Have you tried openning with Blazing Scarab? I know it's not the best spell ever because most of the time the DoT won't tick completely, but it does give the pet more time to build up enough aggro to hold the mob against getting nuked.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2009
    Options
    I usually open with Blazing Scarab on increased life mobs, and I find it works well. Perhaps that bit of extra damage will help offset the cubs low attack.

(with my golem I kill normal mobs in 3 skills, but with the cub, it usually takes 4)
  • Surfer_Rosa - Sanctuary
    Surfer_Rosa - Sanctuary Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Leveling up bash seems like the better choice to me.
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Leveling up bash seems like the better choice to me.

I agree, leveling up bash is what I planned on doing. I just thought the Qinfu would make an interesting pet,and wanted a few opinions on which be the better overall tank.
  • Aneemah - Heavens Tear
    Aneemah - Heavens Tear Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Also try the astral beetles, they seem to be the "poor mans shandu cub", as their defenses are near equal, and the attack/damage/accuracy/hp is average. The lvl2 comes with tough skill, while lvl3 goes with tough and bash...
    edited April 2009
    Options
    I did use a Quadrastral Beetle King up until I got my Magmite. I didn't count him this time around, because I lacked stats to compare with the others. and I didn't feel like leveling one just to compare stats.

but I think I will give the cub a second chance, perhaps he will replace my golem. at least for normal quests/grinding.
  • Succubae - Dreamweaver
    Succubae - Dreamweaver Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Also try the astral beetles, they seem to be the "poor mans shandu cub", as their defenses are near equal, and the attack/damage/accuracy/hp is average. The lvl2 comes with tough skill, while lvl3 goes with tough and bash...

I have a lvl 3 Astral beetle which is doing fine. But as I use fox form to grind, my dps is lower so I have no problems taking aggro with bash (I have problems without it).

The defences of the Qingfu is alomst as high as the Beetle, but the hiher dps will help keeping aggro. But I find it uglier ;-) (and the orange beetle fits well with fox form).

Btw, these 2 insects are better magical tanks than the Golems.
  • Reivi - Sanctuary
    Reivi - Sanctuary Posts: 742 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    when using the cub.

Dont forget to flesh ream and level it with bash

Bash + flesh ream will get hold of aggro pretty good..
    I look at all the trollers, and Pvpers.. and know they wouldnt have lasted 30sec on Camelot.

Rules= Know your enemy (players and NPCs) gives you more chances to survive.
  • Aneemah - Heavens Tear
    Aneemah - Heavens Tear Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    I have a lvl 3 Astral beetle which is doing fine. But as I use fox form to grind, my dps is lower so I have no problems taking aggro with bash (I have problems without it).

The defences of the Qingfu is alomst as high as the Beetle, but the hiher dps will help keeping aggro. But I find it uglier ;-) (and the orange beetle fits well with fox form).

Btw, these 2 insects are better magical tanks than the Golems.

I tried to find the lvl 9 beetle as well, which comes with bash lvl2, but sadly it is still a secondary skill, and can **** you up if not switched in time. Btw, how does the crab from Shattered Jade Shore compare to the beetles?
    edited April 2009
    Options
    All of the crab's stats are noticably lower than the golem's, with the exception of evasion, accuracy, and speed.

I didn't find him to be that great of a tank.
  • RanSama - Sanctuary
    RanSama - Sanctuary Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    A good alternative to the Shadou that I've found is the Lunar Lupin. You don't have a pet with maxed Magic Resistence and a decent attack stat come around every day, especially when it has Howl5 (-36% Magic Def for 15 seconds) so you can use it in instances to assist the team without it stealing aggro from the tank.
  • Sinnimin - Lost City
    Sinnimin - Lost City Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    i dunno what your talking about my bear holds agro pretty fine i never get hit when i used it probly cause i have most of his skills lv 4
  • Succubae - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2009
    Options
    A good alternative to the Shadou that I've found is the Lunar Lupin. You don't have a pet with maxed Magic Resistence and a decent attack stat come around every day, especially when it has Howl5 (-36% Magic Def for 15 seconds) so you can use it in instances to assist the team without it stealing aggro from the tank.

Well, sorry to tell you that, but if you look at http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=260362 you'll see that Lunar Lupin has a quite bad defense... He has a very low HP.

I'm not saying it's not useful or you can't use it. It's just that it definitely can't replace the Shadou.
  • RanSama - Sanctuary
    RanSama - Sanctuary Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Well, sorry to tell you that, but if you look at http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=260362 you'll see that Lunar Lupin has a quite bad defense... He has a very low HP.

I'm not saying it's not useful or you can't use it. It's just that it definitely can't replace the Shadou.
    He can replace Shadou for those that don't want to drop 1.5m+ on a pet, if you consider it.

And the numbers, as they stack:

Name HP Attack Def Phys Def Magic Damage Evade Attacks/s Speed
    Dodo Bear : 2099 938 4994 4994 1099 866 0.8 7.1
    MUURUFU 1712 942 4377 5107 1046 697 0.8 8.2

The numbers mean: Lunar Lupin has more magic defense, attack, and moves faster. However, 387HP Difference and 53 Damage difference at this level. I don't see a completely noticable difference, and if you don't feel like dumping the 1.5m on a cub only to need to upgrade it to a decent bash anyway, just get yourself a Lunar Lupin at 49.
  • Succubae - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Please follow the link and you'll see what I mean. The increase in HP is much more beneficial that the higher def in this case. Lunar Lupin is a bad tanker.

If you want a cheap pet that has rougly the same stats as a Shaodou, try a Qingfu or an Beetle.