Wizards at a high level.

Options
Fizzyy - Sanctuary
Fizzyy - Sanctuary Posts: 13 Arc User
edited April 2009 in Wizard
Hey yal,

Even though wizards are good soloers, and theyre the highest damage dealers in the game, if your at an fb and your killing the boss as a team, woudlnt the mage always steal aggro?

Please answer soon,

Thanks guys
Post edited by Fizzyy - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Rule - Heavens Tear
    Rule - Heavens Tear Posts: 579 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Hey yal,

Even though wizards are good soloers, and theyre the highest damage dealers in the game, if your at an fb and your killing the boss as a team, woudlnt the mage always steal aggro?

Please answer soon,

Thanks guys

Nope, thats what they make barb skills for. Things like Flesh Ream build a seperate "aggro" that is not directly related to thier damage output. For game purposes you might as well call it "hate". While they may only scratch it while you kill it, thier skills will hold aggro.

That being said, you can excede thier ability to hold aggro, rein yourself in for a few seconds and let them build that hate back up. Should only take a few seconds, couple flesh reams.
  • Fizzyy - Sanctuary
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Awsome so while theyre gather aggro for what 5 - 10 secoonds or so, i can unleash hell and they wont come after me?
  • Mohkano - Sanctuary
    Mohkano - Sanctuary Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    You have to be careful about how you cast your spells. If you run in and just let all hell rip, you'll probably steal aggro every time. If you pace your spells and choose the proper ones, the barb should be able to hold aggro.
  • Rule - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Awsome so while theyre gather aggro for what 5 - 10 secoonds or so, i can unleash hell and they wont come after me?

Actually, Yes. If they are doing thier job right and have the right skills going and have built sufficient hate, you can unleash pure hell. Until lev 59 when you get sutra you *probably won't steal it if all the above is true.

Realistic...at your lev most barbs don't know thier skill sets and the mechanics of it. Watch yourself and your damage release and see how the barb handles it. Given 10 seconds to build hate you should not rip from a barb. 5 seconds your probably ok, if the barb is succesfully hitting with flesh ream. Start light with your spells, and build up until you see a break point. If the barb is on his game, you should be able to go all out. Also, communicate with your barb, let them know your about to let go and that they need to be prepared to Roar if things go south.

*Side note, Roar resets hate to a base line. Should only be used in case of emergency. Flesh Ream will continue to build and build over time. A roar will reset it all and you'll need to wait while the barb gets hate again before unleashing. For some reason most barbs even high level ones are not familiar with this...
  • Fizzyy - Sanctuary
    edited April 2009
    Options
    So what your saying is, when im about to attack a boss, ask the barb if he knows how to maintain agro? If i do somehow hopefuly never but do steal agro, he uses his "roar" move, which steals automaticly, i should start with the starter spells than slowly use my spark absorbing moves after i see i dont steal agro easy? b:laugh
  • Jestersig - Heavens Tear
    Jestersig - Heavens Tear Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Any barb at your own lvl should be able to hold aggro if he's using the right skills. If you are several lvls higher then the barb then I would be careful about stealing aggro but you should still be alright. Let the barb get a few hits on the boss before you run in and start nuking and hope you don't crit a few times in a row.

You may also have to be a little more careful if you are a pure mage as your average damage will be a little higher.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Rule - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2009
    Options
    So what your saying is, when im about to attack a boss, ask the barb if he knows how to maintain agro? If i do somehow hopefuly never but do steal agro, he uses his "roar" move, which steals automaticly, i should start with the starter spells than slowly use my spark absorbing moves after i see i dont steal agro easy? b:laugh

Erm, don't do that exactly you'll **** off the barb. On a run you'll face smaller mobs first and you'll get to see how the barb is working. On the boss give the 10 seconds, and let the barb know you'll wait 10 seconds while he builds hate. Warn the barb your about to let go and to be prepared to roar at that point if you steal. Might irritate the barb some at that point, but after a boss or two with that player you should know how he operates.
  • Fizzyy - Sanctuary
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Ok thanks for all the replies so far guys, really appreciative.
  • Biggyluv - Lost City
    Biggyluv - Lost City Posts: 213 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    High level mages are still underpowered.
  • Rule - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2009
    Options
    High level mages are still underpowered.

Biggy is trolling...kinda a smallish thing to do. Unrelated to thread.
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    Kristoph - Lost City Posts: 2,016 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    It depends on the party anyway. If a cleric in your party debuffs the boss and you double spark for MP, and one of your stronger skills crit, you'll hit 30k easily with element advantage. I've stolen agro that way quite a few times in FB59 for example.
    Wondering how much longer these **** packs are going to be around.
  • AndromedaB - Sanctuary
    AndromedaB - Sanctuary Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    god if wizards still suck at lv 90 ill probably quit b:surrender
  • Ty - Heavens Tear
    Ty - Heavens Tear Posts: 604 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    One thing to remember if you do steal aggro is to either run towards the boss in an arc maneuvre or to wait for it to get close then shrink towards the barb. This will make it easier for the barb to catch up and grab aggro back. If you run away from the barb you'll just make it worse. Of course it all depends on the AoE if any...

Usually if I know I can survive a couple of hits from a boss I'll be a little more cavalier than a boss that's gonna 1 shot me or wipe the party from a wayward AoE. ( FB51 2nd and 3rd bosses are good for that XXD )
    I like pie