Whats with all the KSing??

neuralblaze
neuralblaze Posts: 1 Arc User
edited April 2009 in General Discussion
Honestly whats with all the kill stealing that goes on here?

No matter where I go or what I hunt someone comes along and takes the kill...

Am I missing somthing? is this the way the game always is? or am I unlucky and constantly running into........

some advice for a NEW player who is debating to just unistall

thanks
Post edited by neuralblaze on

Comments

• Imuretay - Heavens Tear
    Imuretay - Heavens Tear Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited April 2009

Am I missing somthing? is this the way the game always is? or am I unlucky and constantly running into........

thanks

It gets better as you level up. Not so many people around after you get past your 20's...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Rule - Heavens Tear
    Rule - Heavens Tear Posts: 579 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    There are some a$$hats out there. Most cases, most places its not an issue. Low lev areas its REALLY bad. Most people don't realize they are doing it as they haven't developed control of thier character or can't call it off etc etc.

The problem decreases dramatically after that. Though it still occurs, general rule 1 time, apologize (your fault or thiers, still apologize) 2nd time, gently point it out, 3rd time follow them around and heckle constantly until such time as they leave the area in frustration. Whispering them constantly and tell them they are bad people. (They probably haven't figured the blacklist option out yet(do not use foul language)) And finally in a last ditch effort, in open chat Shout for help from haters to come harrass your foe for you.
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Well, it happens.....

However, I am interested in what server you are on. This is because if you are on a PvP server and cant handle ks'ing, then you will not be able to handle PK. If you are on PvE, then get used to ks'ing.

Like Imuretay said, it can get better, but it may never stop.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • XAsch - Sanctuary
    XAsch - Sanctuary Posts: 855 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    It's cause you're short. Nobody likes short people.
  • Foulcault - Heavens Tear
    Foulcault - Heavens Tear Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Frequencey of KSing after leaving the race specific areas decreases the further away from Archasaur you get. The exception usually being events like wraith attacks or other special events (christmas anyone).

With that said if it does happen I normally say "oops" if I feel I did it or could have prevented it. If it continues I walk in the opposite direction from them. If it continues I whisper them nicely. Usually that gets more often a "bugger off" response but ocassionally it gets more friendlier responses.
  • Lareish - Harshlands
    Lareish - Harshlands Posts: 647 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    It happens more frequently in areas where you have to kill the 20 or 30 mobs for an NPC. If someone is KSing you there, invite them to your squad. It'll go faster for both of you and you can move on to other things.

As a note, some KS is unintentional. When I see someone running in the direction of a mob I was targeting, or see them land a blow on it, I target a different mob. But sometimes I spot them, or they land their blow, when one of my spells is already charging/casting. In those instances, I may have started the attack first, but it lands last because running in and whacking it with a sword doesn't take as long as some spells. (I tend to lead with the slowest ones so that the quicker ones remain once I've caught mob aggro. Safer that way XD) In cases where I can't cancel the attack, I switch to another mob after it finishes the spell, and leave whatever drops came for the person who nudged in on the mob. It doesn't happen often, the only time I've really had a problem with it is during Wraith events because of the lag and sheer chaos. Beautiful chaos.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Harshlands || Lareish (Wz), Enraged Executor || AKA Howl Leader Garmr

~~ ~~~ The semi-sane, optimistic cynic with a light heart. ~~~ ~~
  • Arliana - Dreamweaver
    Arliana - Dreamweaver Posts: 410 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    ya, during wraith attacks, especially lower level ones, you'll just see 5 or 6 ppl getting all the drops due to heavy heavy aoe dmg.
  • Revolte - Heavens Tear
    Revolte - Heavens Tear Posts: 314 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    It's cause you're short. Nobody likes short people.

ha, hey man you are short to someone too
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Super Duper Uber Booper
  • Literature - Harshlands
    Literature - Harshlands Posts: 822 Arc User
    edited April 2009

thanks

pve servers ftw... ;o
  • oznig
    oznig Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    pve servers ftw... ;o

So how almighty PvPer does a lvl 20 on the PvP server handle another lvl 20 KSing?

"You kser you!! You just wait till we're both level 30!!" *shakes fist in the air*
    "Your the second name in my handy dandy notebook of players I will KOS in 10 or 12 levels!"
  • OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear
    OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    There are some a$$hats out there. Most cases, most places its not an issue. Low lev areas its REALLY bad. Most people don't realize they are doing it as they haven't developed control of thier character or can't call it off etc etc.

The problem decreases dramatically after that. Though it still occurs, general rule 1 time, apologize (your fault or thiers, still apologize) 2nd time, gently point it out, 3rd time follow them around and heckle constantly until such time as they leave the area in frustration. Whispering them constantly and tell them they are bad people. (They probably haven't figured the blacklist option out yet(do not use foul language)) And finally in a last ditch effort, in open chat Shout for help from haters to come harrass your foe for you.

If you start running around "heckling them" there is a chance you'll get reported for harassment.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Briegg - Sanctuary
    Briegg - Sanctuary Posts: 584 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    i honestly don't think i've ever had a problem once with kser's
  • mbrunestud
    mbrunestud Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    i think sanct is a lot better w/ ksing than HT from the ks rants i've seen
  • Daerys - Sanctuary
    Daerys - Sanctuary Posts: 1,022 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    20-30 just sucks for KSing. Too many noobs, not enough mobs. It gets better the higher you get. Right now I'm lucky to even see another person while I'm out grinding.
  • WitchBurner - Sanctuary
    WitchBurner - Sanctuary Posts: 1,394 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    The only exception to the "higher the better" scenario is zhenning, one group takes all the mobs in the area or in some cases one person, unless you work something out between the groups your either gonna end up getting **** exp from mobs,

or, the team/person interrupting the zhen will sabotage you by luring as many mobs as possible to the wiz/archer which, if your not quick to react to, will kill the whole team.
    Currently flying internet spaceships around dodixie, moving to amarr soon.

Send me a mail if you wanna ask/request anything

Sanctuary's retired king of wizards alongside queen Saintblu.
  • FoxRunning - Heavens Tear
    FoxRunning - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    i dont know which server you are on, but PvP ones tend to be worse about that kind of thing...its a 'survival of the fittest' environment, where rudeness is rampant. in PvE, its much calmer, and i have encountered very little of that, and a calm, 'please, dont KS!' does the job most of the time. if that doesnt work, i just move to a different mob or area till the pest is out of my hair.

thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (and hugs to Flauschkatze for the sig!)
    "Thanks for writing me-- it's always great to hear from a vet.

-FrankieRaye"
    Playing here since '08b:heart
  • LloydAsplund - Sanctuary
    LloydAsplund - Sanctuary Posts: 3,899 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    My advice: "Less QQ ,more pewpew"
    I was early taught to work as well as play,
    My life has been one long, happy holiday;
    Full of work and full of play-
    I dropped the worry on the way-
    And God was good to me everyday.
  • Daerys - Sanctuary
    Daerys - Sanctuary Posts: 1,022 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    The only exception to the "higher the better" scenario is zhenning, one group takes all the mobs in the area or in some cases one person, unless you work something out between the groups your either gonna end up getting **** exp from mobs,

or, the team/person interrupting the zhen will sabotage you by luring as many mobs as possible to the wiz/archer which, if your not quick to react to, will kill the whole team.

Somewhat surprisingly I have not yet run into this problem, and I've spent a lot of time at several of the popular zhen spots over the last 10+ levels.

But yeah, this is really the only time you have to worry about it at higher levels.
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    No matter where or what, huh? C'mon, admit that's just a wee bit of exaggeration...
    Yeah, there are other people playing, which means potential social conflict. Most players are decent enough, but some don't play nice. If you're this upset this early on about something so trivial, I predict you'll pitch your computer through a window when some jerk lures Chin into you for the first time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
  • FoxRunning - Heavens Tear
    FoxRunning - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    i heard a great story about how someone handled it...

a player (who happened to be a 70+year old grandma-go granny players!), was getting KSed repeatedly. someone nearby saw what was happeneing, whispered her about it, then the bystander, a veno, talked to the KSer, asking him politely to stop. he wouldnt, and got nasty about it. so the veno took out her golem, and parked it on top of the guy! and kept doing it till he apologised and stopped.

i have my own version of this-

a player was KSing my daughter over and over, then, when she finally got tired of that, got on her elephant, and started parking it on top of my daughter, following her all over the area outside west arch gate. my DD was almost in tears of frustration, and asked me for help. so i took out my cleric, which has a sika deer, and came to the area. i spoke to the other girl, asking her to stop, of course, no dice. so i just parked my deer on top of her elephant, and did the same thing...following her, and standing where she stood. after 4-5 times of this, the girl got frustrated, and said 'stop, i dont like this!'. i pointed out that neither did my daughter, and now she felt the way she had made her feel.... problem solved.

If you start running around "heckling them" there is a chance you'll get reported for harassment.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (and hugs to Flauschkatze for the sig!)
    "Thanks for writing me-- it's always great to hear from a vet.

-FrankieRaye"
    Playing here since '08b:heart
  • Draykarna - Sanctuary
    Draykarna - Sanctuary Posts: 192 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, there are other people playing, which means potential social conflict. Most players are decent enough, but some don't play nice. If you're this upset this early on about something so trivial, I predict you'll pitch your computer through a window when some jerk lures Chin into you for the first time.

That made me lol. I KS'd once just to see if I could or was that strong *waits for flames*. I did ks the guys mob and he told me to stop of he'd get his veno and follow me around ksing me. The was sufficent enough for me to stop. Iv had it done to me several times. If it becomes a problem and the person wont leave you in particular alone, leave the area. Because majority of the time the nubs usually just want to get a rise out of you.
    [SIGPIC]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b150/HIM_Wraith/Dray_Sig5_zps515c7918.png[/SIGPIC]
    .:sig by me:.

.:My Chars:.
    .:Draykarna-Veno-8x.:.NiteShade_-Sin-4x.:.Shavain-Psy-7x.:.Kellyka-Cleric-7x.:.Ravenda-Seeker-5x.:.Valaskar-Arch-1x:.
  • XAsch - Sanctuary
    XAsch - Sanctuary Posts: 855 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Am I missing somthing?

Yes. Obviously the ability to KS them back. b:bye
  • Oldbear - Sanctuary
    Oldbear - Sanctuary Posts: 486 Arc User
    edited April 2009

thanks

KS is part of socializing with the fellow players in it's negative sense. So is profanity etc. Same as RL - can't change it. People bring their attitudes from real life to here.

However grinding tasks in lower levels is seldom that bad to require all your strength and MP to even make a kill. So as Asch hinted - haul your **** and do your best to overkill mobs for a while. All you need to do is make 50% damage - KS-er may finish it up for you if he wants to while you move on to the next mob. How to max your damage output cannot be taught without knowing your LV class and build
  • Koyote - Harshlands
    Koyote - Harshlands Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    I like KS. Heavy armor classes dont do enough damage to take the kill so they end up tanking for me. And as for robes just one more reason to legally pk themb:pleased. (see signatureb:cute)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Koyote - Wizardhunter of Harshlandsb:pleased. (I hate wizardsb:angry)
  • Jayson_fall - Heavens Tear
    Jayson_fall - Heavens Tear Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    IMO, the worst place for ks-ing (at least in my low lvl experiance) is outsice west arch and the mines. Too many people after the same mobs. But I don't think it's always intentional. Archers have a tendancy to already have something target as you run for it.

My advice is just to skip it and move on. After all, even I've accidentally ks'd. not knowing someone else was after the monster. A simple 'sorry' usually solves the problem.
  • Oldbear - Sanctuary
    Oldbear - Sanctuary Posts: 486 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Theres this one thought - Why not call some help against KS'ing

Usually there are several instances when you see in public chat lines like "help me to kill blobs, trees things by the west wall". And when you get a distress call like that from Barbarian... well one does wonder is he serious or just looking the suckers to do the job for him?
    Once I actually had to ask from a wizard after first few kills "will you just stand and watch?"
    but never mind that, they're still learning many things incl team work.

But KS'ing might be the case when you feel powerless to do anything about it.
    In that case i think it might be good thing to ask help from a higher LV (ok ok, late mid-level) player. If I'd see in public channel
    "Any LV60+s out there? Help me to get those mobs since I've been KS'ed over and over"
    I'd gladly come over

Edit:

Here's a question for all midlevelers and high-levelers. if you see a message such as "Please Help! LV22 being KS'ed at West Wall. Can't finish my quest!"

Would you come to help?
  • Tisa - Dreamweaver
    Tisa - Dreamweaver Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Here's a question for all midlevelers and high-levelers. if you see a message such as "Please Help! LV22 being KS'ed at West Wall. Can't finish my quest!"

Would you come to help?

I'd check the situation out from a bird's perspective probably. If the person was honest i'd definitely help them.
    I'd even go as far as targeting whatever the KSer is targeting (regardless if it's relevant to the poor guy's quest), and send my golem after other mob.

I hate how some people think they can do whatever they want online just because there's basically no consequences other than looking like a jackass.
  • Meiko - Dreamweaver
    Meiko - Dreamweaver Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    my sister had a similar problem on Dreamweaver. She's a total newb when it
    comes to gaming and computers in general. We were on the phone together
    and she was getting more and more frustrated. So I came over and chatted with the one ks'ing her to no avail. So I just followed the one ks'ing her around for about 5 minutes one shotting anything they attacked.

He/she finally just went away.

Unfortunately ks'ing is becoming a big problem on Dreamweaver even at the higher levels. Some just have no honor and you have to decide is the mob worth the anger at the point or just come back later.

If you're into the karma thing, what goes around will come back to you in spades.