Best Grinding Pet?

Options
Stingtail - Lost City
Stingtail - Lost City Posts: 5 Arc User
edited April 2009 in Venomancer
Hey guys, quick question. I have a Volcanic Magmite for tanking since it has better stats than the Crystalline at high levels (or so I've been told). I also have a petite sawfly ... Is there a better pet than the sawfly for grinding? Basically I want a pet that will kill things fast but not die so fast that I have to waste too much time healing it.
Thanks in advance.
Post edited by Stingtail - Lost City on

Comments

• Joria - Sanctuary
    Joria - Sanctuary Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    the golem does decent damage, and can handle a couple of mobs if you accidentally pull an extra. Just tell the golem to attack it and kite it in circles untill golem gets a bash off on it and you should be fine, the golem is quite slow though, so you'll have to kite the mob to him.

Golem worked very well for me untill I got a herc (which I find great for grinding to).

If you can kill the mobs fast your pet doesen't really have to :)
  • Stingtail - Lost City
    Stingtail - Lost City Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Hmmm alright. Thanks for the reply.
  • Peritia - Lost City
    Peritia - Lost City Posts: 397 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    I have a Volcanic Magmite for tanking since it has better stats than the Crystalline at high levels (or so I've been told).

Other way around, actually. The crystalline will an have an incredibly small lead in most stats (ATK, P.Def, etc), while the Volcanic will have a 0.1 m/s speed advantage over the Volcanic. The Volcanic also starts with Tough, unlike the Crystalline. That said, they're essentially identical, so either one makes a great pet.

As for flying pets, you don't get much variation, unfortunately. It pretty much boils down to either all-out attack (Sawfly), or Defense (Foxwing, Piggy) at the expense of damage output. There's no perfect all-rounders like the Frogling, nor is there an air-equivalent to the golem, with both exceptional attack and defense (barring the Phoenix, of course). Closest you can get to an all-rounder is the piggy, which is rather like a Shaodu cub if you compare the stat profile.

EDIT: Thanks Solandri; Piggy and Shaodu were closer than I had remembered.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kotecek - Lost City
    Kotecek - Lost City Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    And what with Jade Quinfu? This would be phys tank and have starts lvl JUST 1 (like Herc). I'll lvling one to 18 lvl then catch 18 lvl's Volcanic and look who is better here. Theorothicaly, Jade should have better stats... will see .. b:laugh
    My chars: 97 barb, 87 cleric, 91 veno, 80 archer, 74 Blademaster, 34 Psychic, 30 Assasin, 20 Wizard, 44 Seeker, 20 Mistyc.

^ I have SO many personalities to play them all! b:cute

And YAY for my Phoenix!(on THIS veno ^^) b:victory
  • Succubae - Dreamweaver
    Succubae - Dreamweaver Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    You don't need to level one :

Volcanic (lvl 18) : Mdef=1055, Pdef=1582, Dodge=202, HP=591, Accuracy=272, Speed=5,5

Jade Quinfu (lvl 1 -> 18) : Mdef=1285, Pdef=1518, Dodge=221, HP=647, Accuracy=397, Speed=5,7

The Quinfu has better Mdef, HP, Dodge, Accuracy and Speed.
    The Volcanic has better Pdef and Damage (I don't have the exact number for the latter)

If you consider the almost equal Pdef and the higher HP, the Quinfu is a better tank. But without bash it'll be hard not taking aggro.
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    As for flying pets, you don't get much variation, unfortunately. It pretty much boils down to either all-out attack (Sawfly), or Defense (Foxwing, Piggy) at the expense of damage output. There's no real all-rounders like the Frogling or Shaodu Cub

The pig is pretty much the equivalent of the cub in the air. Medium-low attack, high physical and magical defense, high hp. For grinding, I consider it much, much better than the sawfly or foxwing.
  • Fatalvenom - Lost City
    Fatalvenom - Lost City Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Phoenix

Everyone assumes this is a PvP only pet... it cuts through pve insanely fast. I use my nix to grind all the time.
  • Kotecek - Lost City
    Kotecek - Lost City Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Uh, I lvled my Jade to 18 lvl... maybe later I'll lvl it as original-look tank b:chuckle but skill will cost me about 2 milions b:shutup Jade si smaller then Magmite, this is his + but no agrro skill is BIG -. We will see...
    My chars: 97 barb, 87 cleric, 91 veno, 80 archer, 74 Blademaster, 34 Psychic, 30 Assasin, 20 Wizard, 44 Seeker, 20 Mistyc.

^ I have SO many personalities to play them all! b:cute

And YAY for my Phoenix!(on THIS veno ^^) b:victory
  • Succubae - Dreamweaver
    Succubae - Dreamweaver Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Yes, no bash is bad. Well, you only need money... A lot of money...

The Astral Stagbeetles are also good as tanks. The lvl 3 ones come with bash and tough lvl 1. But they have a lower attack than the quinfu. And they look better, more polished !