Blademaster defense

Revenge - Harshlands
Revenge - Harshlands Posts: 29 Arc User
edited April 2009 in Blademaster
When do blademasters get better?

Right now if I fight a mob my own lvl without skills, it takes 50% of my hp and Diamond Sutra doesn't come cheap in mp pots.

My real question: When can Blademasters fight a monster same lvl as them (not using skills) and not loose more than 20% hp?

Thanks for any answers
Post edited by Revenge - Harshlands on

Comments

• Deadbone - Sanctuary
    Deadbone - Sanctuary Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited April 2009

Right now if I fight a mob my own lvl without skills, it takes 50% of my hp and Diamond Sutra doesn't come cheap in mp pots.

My real question: When can Blademasters fight a monster same lvl as them (not using skills) and not loose more than 20% hp?

Thanks for any answers
    There isnt much you can do now. But once you can get ☆Annihilator of Souls, every hit has a chance to recover 5% mp, if you combine that with sutra you wont need a single charm or potion to grind. I recommend using Marrows as well to reduce damage taken a bit.
  • Revenge - Harshlands
    edited April 2009
    thanks but sadly i'm not fist bm
  • Phoenix - Dreamweaver
    Phoenix - Dreamweaver Posts: 237 Arc User
    edited April 2009

I'm guessing mid-50s, but that's with an opening skill. Sooner or later, a great majority of the monsters you fight will open with magic, requiring you to stun as an opener or just pop marrow magical and eat the damage.

If MP and HP pots are breaking your bank, your best bet is to save up a little cash, buy some gold from the Auctioneer, and grab yourself HP/MP charms. MP charms at the very least are cheaper than quaffing MP pots, and once you hit ~60 it's not uncommon for you to fight through several monsters 1v1 before you need a Diamond Sutra. This is all depending on your build, though. I went 3STR, 2DEX for almost all my levels (with occasional additions to VIT) as a fist BM, so I had it relatively easier against caster mobs with shadowless kick, and dodged a fair bit more than other BM builds. Your mileage may vary.
  • Aragorn - Harshlands
    Aragorn - Harshlands Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    There isnt much you can do now. But once you can get ☆Annihilator of Souls, every hit has a chance to recover 5% mp, if you combine that with sutra you wont need a single charm or potion to grind. I recommend using Marrows as well to reduce damage taken a bit.

Unless you are good (and I am almost there lol) at changing back and forth Marrow really screws you up. This is my first high(er) level char and every mob has a magic, and phys attack. I usually run in with the magic resist up then switch to phys resist but then toweards the end you got to switch back or the guy casts one again.

I really wish PWI would make up their mind on the phys/magic attack mobs. It's just so predictable now.
  • Xenaaah - Heavens Tear
    Xenaaah - Heavens Tear Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    I don't know how you're setting up your character but I solo alot and I can take on 2-3 monsters my lvl at the same time and it would cost me 1 hp pot or one sutra if I needed it. I craft new armor and weapons all the time for my sword master so that might be why.
  • LongThan - Sanctuary
    LongThan - Sanctuary Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    I don't know how you're setting up your character but I solo alot and I can take on 2-3 monsters my lvl at the same time and it would cost me 1 hp pot or one sutra if I needed it. I craft new armor and weapons all the time for my sword master so that might be why.
    mobs at ur lvl dont do maigc atk
  • detrimentalist
    detrimentalist Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    you will always be spamming pots and sutra if you are levelling efficiently
  • Melaficus - Sanctuary
    Melaficus - Sanctuary Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    I have over 100+ HP and MP pots and have never bought any one of them. At my level monsters that use physical and magical are comman. I usually can get up to 2 monsters before i need to use sutra. but the mst easiest way to grind safely is to get clerical buffs. But thats just my opinion.
  • Oldbear - Sanctuary
    Oldbear - Sanctuary Posts: 486 Arc User
    edited April 2009

Thanks for any answers

50% HP loss after a single regular physical mob fight is way off from normal. BM's are experts in taking hits from pure physical mobs as well as giving them. I have so little pure physical mobs at my level right now that sometimes to have change, I'll go grind pure physical LV72's and LV75's instead... just to have good clean fair fight again. Something is up with your stats or gear. lay them out and see what we can do here.

To tell you what's up one needs to know:
    1) Your attribute point layout
    2) Your Armor stats and it's quality- 1* 2* 3*?
    3) Your weapon stats and it's quality - 1* 2* 3*?
    4) How do you engage a typical physical mob. What attack/defense skills if any and which order?
    and which physical mobs are the most headache right now?

After that data most of late-mid levels and hi-levels can give good accurate fact/experience based advices to you
  • Averian - Lost City
    Averian - Lost City Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    lol well i am a sword BM and i take mobs one on one so i usually take 2 mobs and then use sutra and the same thing repeats. Obviously i dont use skills at all and just normal attk all the way. It might be a little slower than others but once my mp runs out, from just using sutra, I will use mp pots i pick from the ground. This way you can continuously grind and saves you one hell lot of money too. Lvl 50-70 have lots of magic mobs cause i heard it from my clan mate but just take it easy. dont rush it. In the game, the only way to grind really really fast is to spend lots of money on charms and use pots... adding on to that you have to be an axe BM with AOE skills and this is what helps you lvl fast. If you dont have it then sorry do it the normal way and lvl.
  • Revenge - Harshlands
    edited April 2009
    i use pure regular attacks all the way, no alter marrows either

i'm using ***Bloodstained Battle Scythe that i made myself

also using ***Stoneblood Coat of Plates (4 Sockets) with 3 Average HP shards

now each mob takes around 25% hp with pure regular attacks, that scythe really helps
  • Kaosknight - Heavens Tear
    Kaosknight - Heavens Tear Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Why would you use pure physical attacks? You have skills for a reason.
    I usually use aeolian blade and highland cleave for grinding and I run through 10 perfect mana pots....every hour or so? Wow. ~3k coins, qq more.
    Then again I usually get hour buffs from Faction clerics so its alot easier on my mana pool...but if you dont want to use your skills, don't buy em in the first place, save the money and get better weps.
  • Revenge - Harshlands
    edited April 2009
    cuz only takes like 10 seconds to kill a monster my own lvl so why waste mp to take off 2 seconds off the kill?
  • Hapless - Sanctuary
    Hapless - Sanctuary Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    It depends on what weapon you use for you to be skill spamming. Example: If you are fist, if you spam skills your dps is going to be lower than normal melee to death maybe besides cyclone every other mob or so.

So no, spamming skills isn't always a good thing.
  • Bashusilly - Heavens Tear
    Bashusilly - Heavens Tear Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    You dont need to spam skills, but opening with one is usually a good thing, open with Aeolian maybe, it gives you a chance to stun and does decent damage. Personally, I noticed my Bm getting stronger through the 40's. Mobs started becoming less of an issue. What kind of Vit do you have?

But, Part of the reason you have skills like Diamond sutra, Bell and Marrows is because you will need them. The marrows less so, but Bell and sutra are must use, and must have from my experience. If you are not relying heavily on your offensive skills you should have no issue using sutra once or twice during a fight.

the big thing is, if your just grinding, find mobs that are not gonna throw so much magic at you...You can also make sure your accessories are Mdef(necklace and waist) As long as your primary gear is good, your gonna get a strong bonus from your Bell, due to it being a % of your Pdef.

The D.shade quest offers a solid choice for a Mdef Necklace...if you have not done that quest yet. And there is a Level 31 Mdef waist, legendary that is solid...Between those to it would boost your Mdef by more than 200.

Just thoughts. It is nice to see you are sharding with HP stones, that is the right move.

Good luck
    Don't let my level confuse you. I've done this before.
    Leader-Vandals-Heavens Tear
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    Granrey - Sanctuary Posts: 2,050 Arc User
    edited April 2009

Thanks for any answers

Honestly, you should be able to kill any mob at your level based on normal attacks only (damage wise).

I had same issue as you but I started to use skills and weapons for the effects rather than the damage they do.

If you fight a Magic/melee mob you must block the mag attacks: Shawdowless kick, Leap back, Tiger leap, Drake Bash, Roar of the Pride and Aeolian Blade. All these skills can be used for this purpose.

If you block all magic attacks you can afford Ultra Marrow physical on, since you will not get any mag attack and save HP as result.

If you fight a Melee mob, you must lure him out of the pack. I suggest a bow for this, then switch back to your regular weapon. Ultra marrow physical on again.

If you fight a pure magic mob, ultra marrow magical is a must.

You must have your defence skills to the max.
  • Postman - Lost City
    Postman - Lost City Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited April 2009

LOL i actually grind like this if im bored of aoe grinding, kinda nice when u realize 95% of drops are profitb:pleased
  • Luisch - Sanctuary
    Luisch - Sanctuary Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Have you read Lyndura's guide? Skills are made for use. At low level, you might be able to do normal attack. But at higher lvl, you'll find skills are more reliable than just normal attacks. Esp, when you need to aoe grind your mobs. Normal attack only do 1v1, but aoe grind will save time, hp and give more exp. Well, my suggestion, read Lyndura's guide. And you'll soon to realize that you'll want to use your skills.

Hope this help.b:victory
  • SleipnirX - Lost City
    SleipnirX - Lost City Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    How does aoe grind save your HP?
  • Faeia - Dreamweaver
    Faeia - Dreamweaver Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Honestly, you should be able to kill any mob at your level based on normal attacks only (damage wise).

I had same issue as you but I started to use skills and weapons for the effects rather than the damage they do.

If you fight a Magic/melee mob you must block the mag attacks: Shawdowless kick, Leap back, Tiger leap, Drake Bash, Roar of the Pride and Aeolian Blade. All these skills can be used for this purpose.

If you block all magic attacks you can afford Ultra Marrow physical on, since you will not get any mag attack and save HP as result.

If you fight a Melee mob, you must lure him out of the pack. I suggest a bow for this, then switch back to your regular weapon. Ultra marrow physical on again.

If you fight a pure magic mob, ultra marrow magical is a must.

You must have your defence skills to the max.

Ditto. Leap back is the cheapest for this but less likely to be successful... does anyone have any tips for judging the range of a spell?
  • xerom
    xerom Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited April 2009

Thanks for any answers

well your always gonna take alot of damage but weapons and gear play a big part. but the biggest factor is which mobs are you killing. if you attack aggro mobs that cast magic which pretty much happen from lvl 55 and up then your always gonna take alot of damage. from about lvl 1-64 most BMS tend to stick to air mobs. since you can grind most of them without getting aggroed. after foxwings at Ethe it gets hard. grind them until lvl 66 after that do minions in swamps until your about lvl 70 after that you can aoe grind pretty good with the seaweed pirates in sanc until your about lvl 75 after that rebirth :P
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    Granrey - Sanctuary Posts: 2,050 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Ditto. Leap back is the cheapest for this but less likely to be successful... does anyone have any tips for judging the range of a spell?

Leap back just require practice. It works for me 95% of the time.

Leap back is my entry move with any magic mob. b:victory