Should I get a Herc or Phoenix?

Viper_girl - Heavens Tear
Viper_girl - Heavens Tear Posts: 541 Arc User
edited April 2009 in Venomancer
I decided I am enjoying the game enough to go for either the Phoenix or Herc. I am lvl 47 ATM but expect that I will be around 50 when I get it.

I have heard many arguments that suggest get the Herc first then use it to finance the Phoenix. But I really like the Phoenix for the speed of movement and kills. (and it looks nicer b:cute) I thought I would equip it with Bash for the extra damage instead of Flesh Ream at first.

I guess my gut says get the Phoenix for the enjoyment, and use my Volcanic Magnamite in the Dungeons. But I would like to get some experienced opinions.

The income from a Herc (if that is the main reason for getting one) is not critical.

I am also thinking I might want to do some light PK and TW at higher levels.

1) Any thoughts on WHY I "must" get the Herc instead of the Phoenix and
2) What skill should I add to the Phoenix if I get it? Bash, Flesh Ream or ???
Post edited by Viper_girl - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Foxx_trott - Heavens Tear
    Foxx_trott - Heavens Tear Posts: 802 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    For pk and TW you want the Phoenix for sure. It will also help you grind air mobs quickly which will help you level faster. But at times I sure do wish I had a herc for instances like TT and FB's.

It's pretty much your call. For PVE the herc rulez. For PVP the Nix does.

The skills you train them is debatable. There is many opinions on which you should do. Flesh Ream for the Nix has been the rule till now. But that skill is about to be nerfed. I'm still trying to decide myself now, what skill might be best for the super bird.

I'll let someone else answer about the Herc, as I don't have one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will never do anything in this world without courage.
    It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor.
    ~Aristotle
  • Koyote - Harshlands
    Koyote - Harshlands Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Like the previous poster said. Both are expensive to get. If u want to pk get a phoenix first. If u are more the PVE type get a herc.b:bye
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Koyote - Wizardhunter of Harshlandsb:pleased. (I hate wizardsb:angry)
  • _petgoddess_ - Dreamweaver
    _petgoddess_ - Dreamweaver Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    IMO get Hercules first since it makes farming WAAAAY more easier, but if you want a run down on their skills here they are-

Hercules
    Strong-Increase Physical Defense by 150%
    Protect-Increase Magic Defense by 150%
    Reflect-Reflect 70% of Physical Damage
    Pounce-Stun and Increase Attack Rate by 25%

Phoenix

Pounce-Stun and Increase Attack Rate by 25%
    Blessing Of The Pack-Increase Maximum Health by 30%
    Claw-Increase Attack Damage by 30%

By looking at the skills I would get whatever would suit your need, Tank or DPS, your choice b:laugh
    9999 Forces Completed -Hercules Acquired-
    9999 Feathers Completed -Phoenix Acquired-
  • Literature - Harshlands
    Literature - Harshlands Posts: 822 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    If money is no problem for you then get a nix. ;)

If you will have the cash to buy both then get a nix 1st.

But a herc just makes it 100x easier to get money. I'm talking about at 85-90 when people start forking out tons of real cash just to properly gear themselves. But venos don't have to do that. And soloing squad TT's is exciting, atleast for me.
  • LloydAsplund - Sanctuary
    LloydAsplund - Sanctuary Posts: 3,899 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Seeing that you are on HT server, go for a hercules first. But, remember it depends on what you like to do. PvE = herc and PvP = phoenix. Since HT is a PvE server, I'd say go herc.
    I was early taught to work as well as play,
    My life has been one long, happy holiday;
    Full of work and full of play-
    I dropped the worry on the way-
    And God was good to me everyday.
  • Viper_girl - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2009
    Thanks VM for the responses.

I am leaning towards the Nix as my first $$$$Pet, LOL. I think it will be more of a fun pet to grind with. I seem to spend more than 1/2 my online time, trading, shopping and crafting so when I do grind I like fast kills. I hate the hugeness of the Golem and even though the Herc is smaller it is still gigantic, not to mention ugly. (no offence to Herc owners)

Give me a Shadou Cub with Herc skills/stats and that would be my choice b:pleased , LOL

2 more questions:
    1) What is the best food to get the Nix to over 500 loyalty? The screen shots says it eats Hay but I think there are other foods in the same class that have higher loyalty per feed... fruit? After that i'll be using the 1 week feed shop item until I can get a Blessing at a reasonable price.

2) If I use the Nix to grind land mob, will it be more effective (ie, faster with same or less healing) than a Shadou Cub with maxed Bash? Thats what i use mainly ATM.
    edited April 2009
    The only problem that I've heard some venos say about using phoenix (like all air pets) grinding on land mobs is getting it "land-locked". They often get stuck in the ground which can be a true pain in the ****. Im not sure about land mobs, but grinding air mobs will be a lot easier.
  • Viper_girl - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2009
    Yes the land locking is a pain, but for the most part I have figured out how to minimize it by positioning. In some cases with very hilly terain it is virtually impossible, but that would allow (force) me to level my land pets.

I may be using the wrong term "Grinding". What I mean is having to kill XXX number of land mob for quests. Quite tedious sometimes especially the ones where you have no idea how many to kill to get the required drops.

There is no doubt the Phoenix will own in the air.
    edited April 2009
    You would still need to level up your ground pet for instances and other dungeons whereby phoenix and air pets are not permitted.

and oh, you should be glad to have those "hit x, y amount of times" quests, they're just like grinding, but with a little reward. Grinding gets much worse lvl 70+. But then again, at lvl 70+ you get world quest.