Is this normal at my level?

taurucis
taurucis Posts: 19 Arc User
edited April 2009 in General Discussion
I am level 46. It is next to impossible to find gear at my level, I'm still using ranked gear from level 30. The only gear I can find that doesn't cost 500k+ are one star items and/or armors with only 2 or 3 elemental resistances. I want to go for Rank 2 gear but I need 120 more reputation for that.

Gear-wise, what am I supposed to do? It takes me about an hour to make around 30k (if I recall correctly) and I'm trying to save up for Wings of Daedalus, so buying those 500k items is out of the question. Do I just stick with level 30 armor until I hit rank 2, or are there some quests I'm missing out on that give good items?
That one weird kid who likes those robots
Post edited by taurucis on

Comments

• Superdead - Sanctuary
    Superdead - Sanctuary Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    ya, quests give armor and weapons out like it's candy. Click on the "Find Quest" button in the quest window. Don't worry about armor though, stick to the cheap stuff until later in high levels
  • taurucis
    edited April 2009
    Really? If I recall properly, the last quest I did that gave me a decent item was... Get Chin Wasted, that light armor you get as a reward... even then, my Armor of the Hunter is better o_o
  • rsin
    rsin Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    taurucis wrote: »
    I am level 46. It is next to impossible to find gear at my level, I'm still using ranked gear from level 30. The only gear I can find that doesn't cost 500k+ are one star items and/or armors with only 2 or 3 elemental resistances. I want to go for Rank 2 gear but I need 120 more reputation for that.

Gear-wise, what am I supposed to do? It takes me about an hour to make around 30k (if I recall correctly) and I'm trying to save up for Wings of Daedalus, so buying those 500k items is out of the question. Do I just stick with level 30 armor until I hit rank 2, or are there some quests I'm missing out on that give good items?

Rank 1 armor is level 4 (technically level 5)
    At level 40 level 6 top armor becomes available
    level 43 level 6 legs
    level 44 level 6 wristguards
    level 46 level 6 boots

I'd stay away from any 500k items at your level because nothing ive seen at that level is really worth it armor wise. If your in the right place at the right time. You can possibly find 2-3 star armor with a few sockets at a good affordable price. Ive spent under 50k for a whole set of 3 star level 5 purgatorian armor (each with 2 sockets) from the auction house. Just depends on the seller and the quick cash some people wanna make. happy hunting.
  • The_Forgoten - Lost City
    The_Forgoten - Lost City Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    You don't get armor for rank 2, you just get a ring. If you can't find any decent/cheap armor at the AH, then........ use quest rewards or just buy merchant **** till you get some from mobs(which is pretty common in my experience). Ive always been able to find good stuff at AH. (3 star lvl43 legs for 12k b:dirty)
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    There's usually lots of cheap, good deals to be found in the auction house.

In fact, sometimes the 1 star items will have exceptionally good bonuses that make them more powerful than the 2 or 3 star items that are on sale, yet they'll still only sell for a fraction of the cost.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
  • Matt_ - Sanctuary
    Matt_ - Sanctuary Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    you could always make your own armour b:pleased
    Sanctuary's worst and poorest bm! b:victoryb:surrenderb:cry
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    you could always make your own armour b:pleased
    Usually making stuff is way more expensive than buying it. There are tons of people buying mats and trying to sell the results. Meanwhile, if you sell the mats you can buy the finished products and still have change left over. It's kinda weird, but that seems to be the way the in-game economy is. *shrugs*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
  • d0pey
    d0pey Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Always look up the AH. even if its just 1-2 stars the elemental+physical defense's definitely better than the level 30 one. And most of them are usually cheap. Even for 3 stars sometimes. I always upgrade my armors per 10 levels, unless one part of it(e.g, leggings) do not meet the 'requirement' of my dex hungered archer. But I try not to overwear itb:chuckle The 500k ones are usually molds or armors with hella sockets+gems in em, and I personally wouldn't use the mold/superior gears until I'm over 70. Rank 2 just gives you a +1% crit ring, so don't even wait-_- Making gears proved to be much of a money sinker, unless you have really superb luck in producing good gears, or have an alt farm the mats for your stuff, otherwise, I wouldn't advise you to do that. Likewise, you can spend some money on mats and get a 'pro-tailor' to help you make one. Could be risky, so its up to you :)
    To act is to live.
  • taurucis
    edited April 2009
    Thanks for the replies, everyone. Auction House it is.
  • Fleuri - Sanctuary
    Fleuri - Sanctuary Posts: 1,763 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    You don't get armor for rank 2, you just get a ring.

You can also get a belt.

b:dirty
  • Mandey - Dreamweaver
    Mandey - Dreamweaver Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Well even though selling mats is more profitable, someone has to make the gear for you to buy!
    51 lvls in Calamity, **** whomever actually pressed the kick button on me, while I was at work no less, you coward.
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    You can also get a belt.
    It's a level 60 belt though. OP is level 46.
  • OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear
    OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Usually making stuff is way more expensive than buying it. There are tons of people buying mats and trying to sell the results. Meanwhile, if you sell the mats you can buy the finished products and still have change left over. It's kinda weird, but that seems to be the way the in-game economy is. *shrugs*

It's only expensive if you buy all of your crafting materials from other players, and not everyone who is selling crafted gear actually bought their mats from other players.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Revolte - Heavens Tear
    Revolte - Heavens Tear Posts: 314 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    taurucis wrote: »
    Really? If I recall properly, the last quest I did that gave me a decent item was... Get Chin Wasted, that light armor you get as a reward... even then, my Armor of the Hunter is better o_o

really? yay now i have a good reason to get that quest done b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Super Duper Uber Booper
  • Seraph - Dreamweaver
    Seraph - Dreamweaver Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    lol, my only problem with Ch'in is that robes pretty much get screwed on reward items, much like with Kimsa and fb 59... lol I know there were others that had no arcane choice, just don't remember which. >.<
  • Tigriss - Heavens Tear
    Tigriss - Heavens Tear Posts: 760 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Yeah Ch'in was pretty much a **** you to me.
    "Jesus fricking christ on a pogo stick. Your a mass of fricking idiots I swear!"
    -Saitada
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thankies Crystalynnex
  • mbrunestud
    mbrunestud Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    wait nobody has mentioned that mob dropped gear r useable?

i've found rings w/ crit, - channel gear, arcane hat w/ pdef, various stuff w/ regen, all from mobs. if you're short on money, just use mob dropped gear at ur lvl
  • taurucis
    edited April 2009
    I rarely, if ever, get light armor drops from monsters. And when I do, they're even worse than some of the stuff that passes for "Worth 100k" on the AH >_>
  • Niraneth - Heavens Tear
    Niraneth - Heavens Tear Posts: 236 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Catshops, auction house, and mob drops. yes u can get lucky on mob drops, but not as lucky as searching AH and window shopping catshops
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kitsuneaki - Sanctuary
    Kitsuneaki - Sanctuary Posts: 154 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Dont worrie about your gear so much at that lv, your going to lv so fast it wont really be worth it, just save for 60+ gear. I'm not planning on getting really good gear until 80/90+ when the lvling takes longer
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    6X Sin on RT
  • Mandey - Dreamweaver
    Mandey - Dreamweaver Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    When you say good gear Kirsuneaki, do you mean the twlight gear? I am still confused on what is the "best" type of gear out there. The ability to add sockets would make anything normal punch wouldnt it?
    51 lvls in Calamity, **** whomever actually pressed the kick button on me, while I was at work no less, you coward.
  • Jamseruk - Sanctuary
    Jamseruk - Sanctuary Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    At 80+ best gear is sage gear (red writing, vv good but very hard to get hold of). After that comes Legendary (Made from molds). After that comes the TT, frostland and other instance armours and weapons. TT is the easiest option though, although buying the materials needed will cost you several mil. You can also get "gold" instance armours that usually require a rare drop from an instance (or cost you a lot more mil). I tend to choose armour by bonuses more than anything. Eg. Id get a 2 or 3* chest piece with +7 dext over a TT chest with other bonuses because the actual defensive stats dont make that much difference.

Basically choose depending on your character and build. Im pretty much a full dext archer so I choose equipment with high dext bonuses, and dont worry too much about defence (since things dont get the chance to hit me much).

As every1s saying though, auction house is defo your best friend. Check it regularly. Or you could farm the mats yourself (I wouldnt recommend buying) and make your own equipment. I had 3 star weapons up until my first TT wep at 60, all made myself.
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    Granrey - Sanctuary Posts: 2,050 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    At lower levels you get gear from drops, AH, quests and farm the mats if you want.

I have done something that has not failed me yet. If I;m grinding and somebody gets a drop that I need. I simply ask for it like this:

"Hi, if you dont need that item can I have it?"

If they dont repply right away you say:

"I'm willing to pay for it"

Some people will sell it to you or some will simply give it to you for free. Either way its good for you as that item is cheaper and better than buying from NPC.

Its a better deal for them to sell it to you.

BTW, in my case, they always give me the item for free.b:victory

Another thing, I always donate items that I dont need to friends or donate to strangers if somebody asks as mentioned above.

In your own FB you can at least ask for all the drops related to your race. I did this in my last FB and I got all BM drops given to me as I asked very nicely prior doing the FB.