Sales Tax on Target Prepaid Game cards

Options
BigPunisher - Sanctuary
BigPunisher - Sanctuary Posts: 122 Arc User
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I find that I lose more money buying the game cards from Target than using Paypal.

Using Paypal, I get 53 gold for $50 spent. By going to target, with the Los Angeles sales tax of 9.25%, I would spend almost $54 for 50 gold. BIG DIFFERENT.

I mean the Nine tale Fox sounds tempting but consider when you buy large amount such as $2k. I would get 2,120 gold from paypal and about 1830 gold from Target.

Maybe, there should be a $50 card at Target that would allow 5 entries into the Fox lottery while giving 53 gold at the same time.

That would be sweet!
Post edited by BigPunisher - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Yuggy - Heavens Tear
    Yuggy - Heavens Tear Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    People buy $2k gold? Nutty.
  • Papa_bear - Dreamweaver
    Papa_bear - Dreamweaver Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options

I'm happy with 0 gold b:dirty
    Executor of Dominion

Papa "Papi" Bear 6x barb of lovin's O_O
    ImaDUDEirl - veno
  • Maiya - Lost City
    Maiya - Lost City Posts: 2,686 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Seems like a problem for any prepaid card in existence. What happened to the Ultimate Gamer Cards?

Anyway, Xarfox said promotional events weren't going to be the only way to get the Ninetails.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Daerys - Sanctuary
    Daerys - Sanctuary Posts: 1,022 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    The way they have it worded sounds like it will be released later on. That's just speculation though.
  • Eviltwist - Lost City
    Eviltwist - Lost City Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Since when there is sales tax on game cards ?
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    Zoe - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,814 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Since when there is sales tax on game cards ?

There isn't one....
    Main characters
    Celestial Sage Venomancer Zoe - 100
    Sage Barbarian Malego - 91
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options

Look at his level. b:chuckle

You shouldn't be charged tax on gift cards and gift certificates. They're used like cash to purchase something else, and you'll be charged tax at that time. So if you were also charged tax on the gift card, you'd be double-taxed.

If the store tries to charge you tax, point this out. All the state laws I've seen say gift cards shouldn't be taxed, and the store doesn't have to pay tax on gift card sales, only on the sales of the items purchased with the gift card. The only questionable issue I know of is whether the store has to pay tax on income from gift cards which are never redeemed.
  • Cutietoes - Dreamweaver
    Cutietoes - Dreamweaver Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Solandri is right, you cannot be doubletaxed. Anyway on with these prepaid cards, what are they called exactly? And how much do they come with?? $5, $20???? I want that pink mount so bad so i cant wait to try my luck in it, I just hope that after spending money on this i wont have to be expected to pay $50 for the actual mount when it comes, hmmm i suppose i can just save up the gold im buying hehehe good idea!!!
  • Tearvalerin - Sanctuary
    Tearvalerin - Sanctuary Posts: 3,787 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Pie Is Good
  • chronos
    chronos Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Solandri is right, you cannot be doubletaxed. Anyway on with these prepaid cards, what are they called exactly? And how much do they come with?? $5, $20???? I want that pink mount so bad so i cant wait to try my luck in it, I just hope that after spending money on this i wont have to be expected to pay $50 for the actual mount when it comes, hmmm i suppose i can just save up the gold im buying hehehe good idea!!!
    They are called something like Perfect World Entertainment game cards, and they come in $10 and $20.
  • BigPunisher - Sanctuary
    BigPunisher - Sanctuary Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Does the $20 card count as 2 entry into the fox mount lottery?
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    chronos wrote: »
    They are called something like Perfect World Entertainment game cards, and they come in $10 and $20.

If they are specific to Perfect World, then they probably will be taxed since they represent the final purchase.
  • Bloodwings - Harshlands
    Bloodwings - Harshlands Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    PWI prepaid cards are NOT taxed.
    You pay the exact amount on the card just like any other game card.
    And they come in units of ten and twenty.
    If you still don't want to go that route. You miss out on the drawing but you can buy an Ultimate Gaming Card.
    Any Ultimate Gaming Card will work regardless of the game featured on the front.
    Example those cards with runescape and flyff on them, as long as you see ultimate gaming card, they can be used on PWI.
  • Nayiro - Sanctuary
    Nayiro - Sanctuary Posts: 1,275 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Does the $20 card count as 2 entry into the fox mount lottery?

i wouldn't think so, it says "every time you redeem a card you will be entered to win...blah blah blah...."
    Back.
  • klovis
    klovis Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    wat exactly is the exchange rate like say i buya 50 dolar card how much gold do i get on pw
  • Bloodwings - Harshlands
    Bloodwings - Harshlands Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    klovis wrote: »
    wat exactly is the exchange rate like say i buya 50 dolar card how much gold do i get on pw
    50 gold will be how much you get.
  • Cutietoes - Dreamweaver
    Cutietoes - Dreamweaver Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    ahh i see...so the best route is just buy the $10 dollar ones for entry fees lolz i'll buy 5, so if i lose the cmpetition i have 50 gold to just buy my fox
  • Reinef - Heavens Tear
    Reinef - Heavens Tear Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    That sucks, here in San Francisco/Daly City our targets don't tax =x I DO wish PWI would do promos for prepaid card that included gold bonuses for buying a certain amt.
  • Tearvalerin - Sanctuary
    Tearvalerin - Sanctuary Posts: 3,787 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    lol why did you revive a thread to say something menial?
  • Sheets - Sanctuary
    Sheets - Sanctuary Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    There isn't one....

In WA there is sales tax on all prepaid cards.. prepaid phone cards, visa gift cards.. as well as game cards.. as WoW and PWI for example...

~Sheets
  • Reinef - Heavens Tear
    Reinef - Heavens Tear Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    lol why did you revive a thread to say something menial?

LoL I was honestly hoping others would start responding to see what other states were taxing or not. Sorry if the "revival" was inconvenient in some way ^^;; hehe
  • Whiteknight - Heavens Tear
    Whiteknight - Heavens Tear Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Look at his level. b:chuckle

You shouldn't be charged tax on gift cards and gift certificates. They're used like cash to purchase something else, and you'll be charged tax at that time. So if you were also charged tax on the gift card, you'd be double-taxed.

If the store tries to charge you tax, point this out. All the state laws I've seen say gift cards shouldn't be taxed, and the store doesn't have to pay tax on gift card sales, only on the sales of the items purchased with the gift card. The only questionable issue I know of is whether the store has to pay tax on income from gift cards which are never redeemed.

yer part right. in a sense when purchasing a Game Cared for Points towards a Game or something the Sales Tax is already included in the product. Take the XBox 360 Gold Passes for Live. I Got 1 Only cost me 49.95 No tax in there as tax was already included in it.