World PK Risk/Reward System

Typhoon - Lost City
Typhoon - Lost City Posts: 56 Arc User
edited September 2009 in Suggestion Box
As of now, the existing PK system penalizes PK'ers with loss of items from your inventory. On a PvP server, I believe that incentive should go along with risk in World PvP. I understand that this system could go very wrong if not carefully thought out, but it could make PvP a heck of a lot more fun and more frequent if smartly implemented. So, here are some key points to a better PK system from my point of view:

- When a player goes pink, the risk of losing inventory is activated. Therefore, some form of point system should be triggered where successfully killing players results in racking up a certain amount of points per kill.

- This point system MUST include an opponent eligibility rule (for example, players more than 5 levels below you will not yield any point reward, but will still result in coloring your name), to avoid low-level griefing. Further, the higher level your kill is, the more points there are to be rewarded. This will encourage players to stick to fighting players of similar and greater levels than their own, and possibly even reduce low-level ganking, because PK'ers will want to rack up as many eligible kills as they can before they go red.

- For the opponent eligibility idea to have maximum effect, a con system (where an enemy appears a certain color when you click on it, based on its level) similar to the monster con system would be substantial. A Green con player would count as ineligible, and anyone else would qualify as eligible.

- Here's where the risk/reward part of my system suggestion comes into play. When you begin a PK session (name goes pink), you will gain a minimal amount of points for that first kill. As you progress and kill more players during that PK session, each subsequent PK will result in a higher point gain. Therefore, the deeper into pink/red you go, the higher you get rewarded per subsequent kill during that PK session. In other words, it would be like being on a killing spree of sorts. A cap of perhaps 15-20 PK's could be implemented to avoid reaching insane levels of point gains per kill during a session. Your PK session ends when your name goes back to white.

- To avoid exploitation of this system (PK'ing a friend for points without earning the kill), a PK of the same player multiple times during a session will result in a substantial reduction or zero gain of points for that PK session.

- Upon death of the PK'er, that player's infamous status would remain, but his "killing spree" would be ended. This would result in a reset of his kills for the session, and therefore reset the amount of points he gains per kill thereafter.

- Another thing that could be added to get more people involved in PvP would be a PK notification system that would basically notify players in the nearby area when another player becomes "infamous". For example, when a player kills someone and becomes pink, a message would come up in the text box saying "Typhoon has just slain Noobman!" to everyone in the zone where the PK took place. This would add to the fame aspect of PvP and make well-known PK'ers more wanted, as other players will be hunting these infamous PK'ers whose names pop up on a regular basis. Of course, this message system could be toggled on or off to avoid unwanted spamming.

- Now for "points". I'm using this term very generally, so the rewards that points could be turned in for could be anything. Gold, mounts, crafting materials, weapons, armor, skills, whatever! Just an incentive to PvP on a PvP server.

I strongly encourage any feedback or additional ideas that would make this possible. I'd love to see something like this added into the game, and I think that it would help the PvP aspect of PW tremendously. Why would it be worth your time to implement it? Well... more PvP = more PvP'ers = frick-tons more charms being used among other PvP items = $$$$ =D

Let me know what you guys think...
Post edited by Typhoon - Lost City on

Comments

• bron
    bron Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    I'm against this, but not completely. The no points for people of low level means you get nothing for killing them (Like no honor on WoW, which is I'm sure where you pulled this from). If you'd of said keep the dropping items thing, I'd be for it. What incentive do people have to hunt theese infamous people if they don't get a drop for killing them?

You might see people asking for people to kill though, probably paying them, so they could get points easy. There's flaws, but not big ones. Keep the item drops thing and I like it. :D
    Proud Pre-Launch CO and Pre-Launch STO Lifetime Subscriber.
  • Typhoon - Lost City
    edited September 2008
    I never said the item-drop part should be removed. If you didn't drop items upon death, there would be no risk factor, therefore it would not be a risk/reward system. I'm 100% for item-drop on death while infamous.

Edit: I did not derive this idea from WoW. WoW's PK system was horrible - it may have used the con system, but there was no death penalty at all, and the rewards for World PvP were practically non-existent.

Anyway, keeping this thread on topic of Perfect World, all modification ideas are welcome.
  • bron
    bron Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    I like it then, and agree on the point about WoW. :D

I need to sleep a bit and play later tonight maybe, I'll get back to you if I can think of any modifications.
    Proud Pre-Launch CO and Pre-Launch STO Lifetime Subscriber.
  • Typhoon - Lost City
    edited September 2008
    Any way I can send this directly to the team? Not getting the kind of feedback I was hoping for here.
  • Tomiko - Heavens Tear
    Tomiko - Heavens Tear Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Lol @ the green con ..

"I see a player with green name" ~ "Oops! that's a noob.. lemme play with him :)"
  • /haiku/ - Lost City
    /haiku/ - Lost City Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    More incentive would be nice, but in all honesty a lot of PKing does take place on LC. You don't really notice it below level 30 of course, but give it some time. 30+, join a guild, and you'll see lots of PKing.. especially if your guild has rivalries.

The funny thing about a system like this is that it would probably make some people who whine about random PKers be quiet, because their most common question is asking you why you PKed them. If there's a reward for it beyond satisfaction, fun, and that reaction, maybe they won't ask. Then again, makes me laugh when they ask. :(

In short, I'd love to see a heavily developed PK system. Heavier than this tbh, but it would be a start. <: I don't think green names would make anyone more lax in PKing lower levels though. Too many people find it funny.
    /Haiku/ -- Cognitive atrophy at its finest.
    No longer the mistress of being ohko PK'd.
  • Typhoon - Lost City
    edited September 2008
    More incentive would be nice, but in all honesty a lot of PKing does take place on LC. You don't really notice it below level 30 of course, but give it some time. 30+, join a guild, and you'll see lots of PKing.. especially if your guild has rivalries.

The funny thing about a system like this is that it would probably make some people who whine about random PKers be quiet, because their most common question is asking you why you PKed them. If there's a reward for it beyond satisfaction, fun, and that reaction, maybe they won't ask. Then again, makes me laugh when they ask. :(

In short, I'd love to see a heavily developed PK system. Heavier than this tbh, but it would be a start. <: I don't think green names would make anyone more lax in PKing lower levels though. Too many people find it funny.

I know green names wouldn't halt noob killing, it would just keep it under control. The most unsettling thing for me with the current system is that PK'ing is only penalized. There's hardly even any fame to be gained outside complaints on the forum. Even if the rewards were miniscule, at least it would create some sort of goal and reason to take that risk of losing your items upon going infamous. As it stands now, I still plan on PK'ing, but it has that pointless feel to it.

And yes, I formed up this idea in my head in about an hour while sitting around at work, so it could indeed be more heavily developed, which is why I'm asking for feedback and suggestions. Thanks for yours!
  • Jokers - Lost City
    Jokers - Lost City Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Ill have to agree, we need to gain something from PVP. One thing i dont agree is the part where you said about the notification part where it tells you if some one pked some one close by. I mean if this was implamented then you would have a bigger risk of losing your stuff because now everyone knows your around and will be chasing you. Finding pkers gives us something to do, notification system would just make it to easy.
  • Typhoon - Lost City
    edited October 2008
    Ill have to agree, we need to gain something from PVP. One thing i dont agree is the part where you said about the notification part where it tells you if some one pked some one close by. I mean if this was implamented then you would have a bigger risk of losing your stuff because now everyone knows your around and will be chasing you. Finding pkers gives us something to do, notification system would just make it to easy.

Well, when I suggested the notification idea, I meant within the small vicinity of a single zone. So while you will probably be hunted by one or two others in the area, it's not like your position was given off to the whole world and everyone's out for you. Basically it would serve to spread a little infamy and get some PvP action going. Also, it would help prevent zone-camping and cause PK'ers to move around the world a bit to avoid getting hunted down. The smarter you PK, the less you risk and the more you benefit. :)
  • zkuxen
    zkuxen Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    I like this idea, though I might add something like a system that prevents preoccupied people from being PK'ed. Also maybe a level cap for it. It's quite annoying being OHKOed by someone 10 levels higher than you while you're talking to an NPC. Also, you could add that besides level, infamy could increase points. For instance, maybe you take half of the points of someone you kill if they had high infamy. It would also be nice if the peoplle with pink or red names showed up on the mini-map in a corresponding color, though it might be annoying as it takes away the element of surprise.
  • Alazne - Dreamweaver
    Alazne - Dreamweaver Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Is it possible to go unred? My name went slightly pink after test attacking someone, but it went back to white. Once you turn red, can you unred yourself? without turning off the pk mode, ofcourse.