Veno without a pet?

Laney - Dreamweaver
Laney - Dreamweaver Posts: 9 Arc User
edited April 2009 in Venomancer
Is it possible? I've never been very good at controlling pet classes... and I wanted to try a veno because I think they look cool, but I was wondering if you can survive without a pet.. or if it's just completely impossible.
Post edited by Laney - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Zoe - Heavens Tear
    Zoe - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,814 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Its very possible. The main thing is that the class was designed to be poor without the pet. However if you learn the class well you can do fine without one.
    Main characters
    Celestial Sage Venomancer Zoe - 100
    Sage Barbarian Malego - 91
  • Xtrememirage - Heavens Tear
    Xtrememirage - Heavens Tear Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Yea, I agree with Zoe. I can't imagine playing the game without a pet as a veno. But if u want to test it out, then by all means try it. I can tell u it'll be frustrating though, and u'll wanna whip out ur pet to kill the mob that's beating on u.
    The name's Xtreme! b:victory
    Not Extreme! b:angry
    Get it right! b:thanks
  • Hisui - Heavens Tear
    Hisui - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,369 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    u will NOT be fine without one.

you get ****. hard. no it doesnt have to do with how well u can play the class. you cant win without pet in pve or pvp.

veno is the only class that does not have a knock-away, long stun, or a good repeatable slow spell. there are no good spells to consistently prevent mobs from getting to u close range.

you. will. suffer. charm. loss.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    私の番ですよ。- Sig by Symour

Check out ForsakenX 's sig thread O_O
    Enrage - We Eat.
  • Mothergoose - Sanctuary
    Mothergoose - Sanctuary Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    u will NOT be fine without one.

you get ****. hard. no it doesnt have to do with how well u can play the class. you cant win without pet in pve or pvp.

veno is the only class that does not have a knock-away, long stun, or a good repeatable slow spell. there are no good spells to consistently prevent mobs from getting to u close range.

you. will. suffer. charm. loss.

Heavy melee foxform veno builds can get by without pet. Although there is no reason to handicap yourself unnecessarily.
  • Hasukurobi - Heavens Tear
    Hasukurobi - Heavens Tear Posts: 406 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    You can survive as a petless Veno but this is what you need to know.

1) You will die a lot as a Mage Veno unless someone takes and holds Aggro for you because you have no way to keep enemies off of you and you die to one or two hits.

2) You will do fine as a Fox Veno but you will never deal as much damage as a real fighting class due to the fact that you have to use Magic Weapons who's Phys. Attack sucks and that is all that is counted (not Magic Attack).

3) You will not be able to solo any boss without being insanely over leveled for them because you will have no Tank to spam heal. You will need a Cleric Spam Healing you as a Fox if you go that way and a Mage Veno just cannot solo bosses - a pet at all.

4) You are less useful to a party without a tank add on and the inability to lure as good. If you go Mage Veno without a pet you are virtually useless in all ways to a Party (Why not have a Cleric instead?) but at least Fox Venos can Gimp enemies.
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Heavy melee foxform veno builds can get by without pet. Although there is no reason to handicap yourself unnecessarily.
    Trying something new instead of shooting for perfection like everyone else =/= "Handicap yourself unnecessarily" ;)

That aside, yeah, Veno was designed to be the pet class. I can't say I've ever done the heavy armor fox form build, but it looks like it might work... only, that'd kind of sacrifice your reason for playing them, wouldn't it? Venos "look cool?" It's just too bad you can't customize the fox form so you look the least bit unique in it.

You could just make a regular veno or a light-armor veno and pick a handful of pets that nobody else uses... that's what I did. XD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Trying something new instead of shooting for perfection like everyone else =/= "Handicap yourself unnecessarily" ;)

Hmm, this actually sounds interesting. You could spam spells at a mob, and when it gets into melee range, switch to fox form and use leech to get back hp (don't think any of the other classes get a leech-like skill). You'd have to decide between arcane armor for high caster damage but poor tanking, or light/heavy for low caster damage but good tanking. I'm curious where the best balance lies.

At higher levels you even get a spell/skill with a chance to stun (one in human form, one in caster form). I wonder if you could use those to mitigate the damage you take.

It would probably take a lot more mana than straight caster or fox form, due to all the form switches. But I always end up with hundreds of extra potions which I give to friends. And I'm always lamenting that we get this awesome damage reflect buff, but we hardly ever get hit. I may give this a shot. Yeah it won't be optimal, but it'll be interesting and the "WTF?" from others might make it worthwhile.
  • Tearvalerin - Sanctuary
    Tearvalerin - Sanctuary Posts: 3,787 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Well, the only venos I can see going without pets would be melee ones, itd be impossible to try and level a mage one without a pet. Your only mobility status effect with a stun only lasts 2 seconds, and that surely isnt enough time to kill.

If you did try making a magic one, youd be limited to killing magic only monsters, which arent in huge supply at an early level... (I can solo underwater mage classes that are my level, for example dragonmaids, without a pet) So, if anything it'd be like a shot in the foot :|.
  • Sabai - Heavens Tear
    Sabai - Heavens Tear Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    I think you could do it in any armor design. It would be better to get some -channeling if your pure arcane which wont be cheap or available for some time.
    You'd also want to chose your mobs more carefully to be efficient (archers probably not a good choice ^^). I'm pure arcane. I kill lvl mobs in 3 hits without the pet and they hit me for 12% so once tanking it I can cast roughly 4 additional times before I ran out of HP. Unless its a life or IMR I'll win easy no pot needed., my - channeling is high, so I can generally kill them before they hit me, or kite a little. Fox form could be a fix for that last hit issue too..

And just because you get 3 mobs doesn't mean you have to kill 3, kill one, run back a little bit, they reset fast, kill another etc.

Magic attack bosses wouldn't be more of a problem then for a Veno with pet, just avoid the phy attackers.

You would of course be giving up a lot of free damage over your career without the pet so either slower or more costly to level using more pots.
    You'd also likely be considered the servers worst lure and barbs would plot to destroy you b:laugh
  • Hisui - Heavens Tear
    Hisui - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,369 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Hmm, this actually sounds interesting. You could spam spells at a mob, and when it gets into melee range, switch to fox form and use leech to get back hp (don't think any of the other classes get a leech-like skill). You'd have to decide between arcane armor for high caster damage but poor tanking, or light/heavy for low caster damage but good tanking. I'm curious where the best balance lies.

At higher levels you even get a spell/skill with a chance to stun (one in human form, one in caster form). I wonder if you could use those to mitigate the damage you take.

It would probably take a lot more mana than straight caster or fox form, due to all the form switches. But I always end up with hundreds of extra potions which I give to friends. And I'm always lamenting that we get this awesome damage reflect buff, but we hardly ever get hit. I may give this a shot. Yeah it won't be optimal, but it'll be interesting and the "WTF?" from others might make it worthwhile.

emphasis on *A LOT MORE MANA* because you drop ur max mp when u switch to fox, ur practically working on 2/3 of ur usual mp in nuke mode when u switch back. thats just about 2k mp off the bat just like that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    私の番ですよ。- Sig by Symour

Check out ForsakenX 's sig thread O_O
    Enrage - We Eat.
  • Ratinax - Sanctuary
    Ratinax - Sanctuary Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Is it possible? I've never been very good at controlling pet classes... and I wanted to try a veno because I think they look cool, but I was wondering if you can survive without a pet.. or if it's just completely impossible.

I've done it. When I was a total nub on pets I actually was a heavy armor veno with no pet. I went from 1 to 30 before I noticed Arcane Venos do loads more damage, restated, got a good pet and lvled from there XD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    I just restatted to a heavy build. In fox form at level 66, I could easily take on a level 65 mob without a pet. Leech kept up with the damage I was taking, and my gear isn't optimal as a heavy veno yet (I still have a couple level 50s pieces of armor).

Kill speed was slightly slower than with a pet (I easily outdamage my golem in melee now), but mana use was a lot higher. With a pet tanking I didn't need to fire leech and could use consume spirit to get mana back. But alone I had to leech constantly and didn't want to risk using consume spirit.

The most annoying part was when the mob died just before I could leech it again. That forced me to start my next fight about 25% down on hp. (I currently have about 1600 hp, leech gives me 400).

I'll have to time some fights with a stopwatch to see how the kill speed compares with caster form. I'm doing about 700-800 damage per regular attack, which at 1.25 atk/sec works out to about 900-1000 DPS. Add in special attacks and reflect damage and it doesn't seem like it'd be that much slower than the 1600 DPS I estimated for my caster form.
  • Viprae - Sanctuary
    Viprae - Sanctuary Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited April 2009

2) You will do fine as a Fox Veno but you will never deal as much damage as a real fighting class due to the fact that you have to use Magic Weapons who's Phys. Attack sucks and that is all that is counted (not Magic Attack).

3) You will not be able to solo any boss without being insanely over leveled for them because you will have no Tank to spam heal. You will need a Cleric Spam Healing you as a Fox if you go that way and a Mage Veno just cannot solo bosses - a pet at all.
    2. Idk about your fox veno but mine has physical attack close to that of BMs around my level. O.o

3. I solo bosses that my pet can't because my pet takes way too much damage from bosses like the ones in the past. Although you are right about having to be overleveled, I couldn't solo Krimson until level 8x. :(
  • Leolf - Heavens Tear
    Leolf - Heavens Tear Posts: 380 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    You could just make a regular veno or a light-armor veno and pick a handful of pets that nobody else uses... that's what I did. XD

Lol! *high five* Jaden Qingfu and Torgirn Brave, right here b:victory I'll bet you could go veno without a pet. Seems kinda pointless, but it's a game, it's meant to be fun. If you're bored out of your mind spam healing a pet, then it's better to be an awful veno you enjoy playing (not that you'll necessarily be awful)