Grind *****'s Game?

jeffmayn
jeffmayn Posts: 1 Arc User
edited April 2009 in Dungeons & Tactics
So i came across this game and my friend told me that this game was alright but it requires too much grinding. In comparison to some games like SilkRoad, RuneScape, and such, how is the grinding in this game? Thanks for your input.
Post edited by jeffmayn on

Comments

• Dicentra - Heavens Tear
    Dicentra - Heavens Tear Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    IMO, grinding isn't bad until around lvl 50. Some say earlier some say later. Before lvl 50 there are plenty of quests to do to help lvl, then they start to slow down to about 2-3 per lvl. The higher the lvl means there is more grinding. But its worth it if you want to farm items for coins. Also, you can help other players with FB's (call to duty) and get good exp if they have tabs. Also around lvl 60 you can do repeatable quests that give more exp/spirit. At lvl 70+ you can do world quests that give lots of exp/spirit. there are other options to grinding.
  • Daerys - Sanctuary
    Daerys - Sanctuary Posts: 1,022 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Compared to higher skill levels in RS grinding in this game is a breeze. I hated leveling anything in RS after about 80-ish. At least here you can go do other stuff to mix it up and still be gaining exp.
  • Foxsamurai - Lost City
    Foxsamurai - Lost City Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    That's one of the reasons why WoW is one of the biggest MMOs out there. There are more than enough quests out there. You don't have to grind, all you have to do is quest and you can hit 80 in no time. There are other options, such as instances that give better gear but take a longer time. Those are optionary, but there are still quests for them.
  • Zephyrx - Lost City
    Zephyrx - Lost City Posts: 1,563 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    The grind isn't too bad for my lv 25 Cleric so far. The quests are somewhat interesting and not half-assed like Killing the monster for no reason. They actually have a story behind them and makes sense (basically like quests in WoW, except WoW has more quests). So it's pretty enjoyable for right now...

Though this game does kinda take the fun out of dungeons as it lets high levels get exp for low level dungeons. So basically that lv 19 Dungeon was no challange as high levels basically just rampage over every mob and the instance was done in like 10 seconds.

Yea... and finding a team for dungeons whose your a low level is like near impossible. So dungeons will probably be a breeze until later on... So that's the bad part about this game. Dungeons aren't as challanging until you get later on. (Or it's impossible to find a party around lv 20 for the lv 19 dungeon)
    Position: Professional Forum Troll
    Position Details: Be able to incite people to flames and perform miracles such as telling people what's right and what's wrong. Be able to dish out flames to other people so fire extinguishers are needed to put out the flames. Most of all, giving others a piece of reality.

ZephyrX is better than crack... he's your Anti-Drug
  • Daerys - Sanctuary
    edited April 2009
    That's one of the reasons why WoW is one of the biggest MMOs out there. There are more than enough quests out there. You don't have to grind, all you have to do is quest and you can hit 80 in no time. There are other options, such as instances that give better gear but take a longer time. Those are optionary, but there are still quests for them.

More than half the game doesn't even start until the level cap there, too. That's actually one of the things I like about PWI, you can do meaningful stuff at lower levels without it being a complete waste of time.
  • Foxx_trott - Heavens Tear
    Foxx_trott - Heavens Tear Posts: 802 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    There basicaly isn't a grind until about lvl 60, then it's almost all completely a grind.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will never do anything in this world without courage.
    It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor.
    ~Aristotle
  • Foxsamurai - Lost City
    Foxsamurai - Lost City Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    More than half the game doesn't even start until the level cap there, too. That's actually one of the things I like about PWI, you can do meaningful stuff at lower levels without it being a complete waste of time.

Actually, the game starts to get quite interesting when you hit 58 (which is half-way to 70, the first expansion cap) and get into TBC areas. I played Pre-BC, and to be honest, BC is a lot better than Pre-BC. I like the kind of questing where you walk into towns, get 1857189261897758128954361897 quests, finish them all, and level in an hour or so. Lich King... Not so much. I'm 80, but hell, I hated that questing. People were in random positions, and it was just... ergh. When you hit 60, you start to get the (used to be..) 10-25 man raids, which start out the fun. You start to get legendary drops, long boss battles, cooperation, and fluidity. That's when you start to make better friends with people. I'm not high level on PW yet, so I haven't experienced this yet, but the FBs seem like Instances on WoW. Only you (most of the time) have higher levels run it for you. Granted there are runs on WoW, they aren't as frequent and you usually have to pay for them. I do like the process on the 'if you have a high level in your group, you get less xp', though. Prevents the stupid, stupid power leveling. Good job thar. >:D
  • mbrunestud
    mbrunestud Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    you have no idea what "grind *****'s game" is if you think this game is it. im not going to name any titles, but this game has a lot less grinding if you dont want it. theres plenty of stuff to do other than grind. of course you can be a grind *****, and there may still a lot of grinding involved, but its not that bad.
  • Mosz - Heavens Tear
    Mosz - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,181 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    mbrunestud wrote: »
    you have no idea what "grind *****'s game" is if you think this game is it. im not going to name any titles, but this game has a lot less grinding if you dont want it. theres plenty of stuff to do other than grind. of course you can be a grind *****, and there may still a lot of grinding involved, but its not that bad.

yes it all matters what you compare it to, i know games that in their 30s the grind was worse then in 80s here
  • MorgulLord - Sanctuary
    MorgulLord - Sanctuary Posts: 270 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Silkroad ??? Your friend was kidding.... right ?

That game has more grind after 30... than this game will ever have.... "Kill 700 of X mobs" ... "Collect 1500 of x dropss" ... I mean.. seriously sux ....

~Morgul
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally...
  • Daerys - Sanctuary
    edited April 2009
    Actually, the game starts to get quite interesting when you hit 58 (which is half-way to 70, the first expansion cap) and get into TBC areas. I played Pre-BC, and to be honest, BC is a lot better than Pre-BC. I like the kind of questing where you walk into towns, get 1857189261897758128954361897 quests, finish them all, and level in an hour or so. Lich King... Not so much. I'm 80, but hell, I hated that questing. People were in random positions, and it was just... ergh. When you hit 60, you start to get the (used to be..) 10-25 man raids, which start out the fun. You start to get legendary drops, long boss battles, cooperation, and fluidity. That's when you start to make better friends with people. I'm not high level on PW yet, so I haven't experienced this yet, but the FBs seem like Instances on WoW. Only you (most of the time) have higher levels run it for you. Granted there are runs on WoW, they aren't as frequent and you usually have to pay for them. I do like the process on the 'if you have a high level in your group, you get less xp', though. Prevents the stupid, stupid power leveling. Good job thar. >:D

Cleared everything up to and including Kil'Jaeden. The game doesn't really start until the level cap, trust me.
  • Valeriewun - Sanctuary
    Valeriewun - Sanctuary Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    I havent played Silkroad for couple years, but back then it was pure grind. It had nothing but a few Quests to kill anywhere from 50-300 of one mob type even at low levels. Dont know if that has changed since they added Europe, etc.

In this game the quests are generally to kill 5-30 so far (I am only up to level 25) and there are many quests that are not kill related. There are also repeatable dungeons and quests (dragon quests) so you have more options than to just spend hours killing one monster type in one spot.
  • Balance_life - Lost City
    Balance_life - Lost City Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    The grind isn't too bad for my lv 25 Cleric so far. The quests are somewhat interesting and not half-assed like Killing the monster for no reason. They actually have a story behind them and makes sense (basically like quests in WoW, except WoW has more quests). So it's pretty enjoyable for right now...

LOL WAT

MORE quests?? b:surrender I'm lvl 31 and I am so SICK of 2394739258345 quests that make me go all over the place just to kill 10-30 mobs or whatever.
    So what if the reward is good? This is an MMO, but the way the early game is designed makes things anti-social and defeats the whole purpose of an MMO. I play cleric and I duo with people but that's about it. And then everyone wants to go to town after 10-20 min cuz they finished their quest. And there are currently no hunting areas that have more challenging mobs that would require squads to fight efficiently (like multiple hp mobs).
  • Averian - Lost City
    Averian - Lost City Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    LOL WAT

MORE quests?? b:surrender I'm lvl 31 and I am so SICK of 2394739258345 quests that make me go all over the place just to kill 10-30 mobs or whatever.
    So what if the reward is good? This is an MMO, but the way the early game is designed makes things anti-social and defeats the whole purpose of an MMO. I play cleric and I duo with people but that's about it. And then everyone wants to go to town after 10-20 min cuz they finished their quest. And there are currently no hunting areas that have more challenging mobs that would require squads to fight efficiently (like multiple hp mobs).

cause you are lvl 32... at 36 onwards, you will start grinding. you might be sick of all the quest but once you reach a higher lvl like 50-60 or so you will start all the fun ****. get a fun clan like my clan, Omerta. They might do TW once in a while to get the experience. When you play, you try to make friends and do more stuff together. later on, you can start grinding with a party. so i suggest you stop complaining and lvl faster. this game is made so that low lvls have an easy time. grinding is going to make you lvl a lot slower in low lvls and once you reach higher lvls, it will be where the fun starts.
  • Valeriewun - Sanctuary
    Valeriewun - Sanctuary Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    So what if the reward is good? This is an MMO, but the way the early game is designed makes things anti-social and defeats the whole purpose of an MMO.
    The age of group grinding MMOs is gone. You wont find games like that anymore.

The new paradigm is solo level questing with group dungeons and PvP at "endgame" levels. This MMO fits that almost perfectly, except it seems to run out of quests around level 40. If there were a bunch more quests between level 40 and 80 it would be perfect for the modern MMO demographic.