When to go LA

Options
Leonator - Sanctuary
Leonator - Sanctuary Posts: 42 Arc User
edited April 2009 in Wizard
I play on a PVE server so I don't need to worry about archers until I do TW so what is a good level to switch to LA? Or should I stay Pure?

Thanks in advanceb:laugh
Post edited by Leonator - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Forp - Heavens Tear
    Forp - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,445 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    you switch when you find out you're scared ****less of physical classes, lose your cool and forget that you can just blink out of a archers radar.
  • Leonator - Sanctuary
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Since cleric are part physical you are saying your own class is ****less<--(what do this mean?)
  • Amour - Lost City
    Amour - Lost City Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    I'd stay full int on a PvE server. Or restat whenever you start twing (seriously). Full int is the best for PvE
    "Amour is better suited to rainbow text, because he is a classy lady." - Nakhimov
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Forp - Heavens Tear
    Forp - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,445 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    i'm speaking on a wizards behalf, not a clerics. and even clerics go light armored - even though that fails for clerics.
  • Leonator - Sanctuary
    edited April 2009
    Options
    No I meant cleric's plume shot and other physical attacks
  • sillyfoo
    sillyfoo Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Since your on a pve server and still a relatively low lvl theres no real point in going light armor just lvl up use physcial def accesories and find some three star gear when u hit 50+ and at 90 get the green set of TT armor and make a TT weapon of ur choice. Sanctuary already has established tw powerhouses so your not getting into a tw till ur 70+ and u cant really win till ur guild has like lvl 80ish + average and probably by time u reach that u need to be 90 -.- . You can go light when u want when u want. A restat costs about 300-500k or a lil more depending on what one u want so if u dont like it u can change back.
  • Kikuzakura - Sanctuary
    Kikuzakura - Sanctuary Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    No I meant cleric's plume shot and other physical attacks

Where wizards will not have physical attacks other than blade tempest until genies become available?

I guess its just too bad for wizards that blade tempest is so wimpy when compared with plume shot. If only blade tempest were AOE or something or could do double damage or something or maybe do magical damage equal to its physical damage or ... you know ... something, so wizards could somehow begin to equal a cleric's damage potential.

b:cry
  • Leonator - Sanctuary
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Where wizards will not have physical attacks other than blade tempest until genies become available?

I guess its just too bad for wizards that blade tempest is so wimpy when compared with plume shot. If only blade tempest were AOE or something or could do double damage or something or maybe do magical damage equal to its physical damage or ... you know ... something, so wizards could somehow begin to equal a cleric's damage potential.

Thing is it cost 2 sparks(and is half physical) while plume shot cost none, we need a spamable physical spell or an opener like sandstorm

Anyway we are getting off-topic
  • Ty - Heavens Tear
    Ty - Heavens Tear Posts: 604 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options

b:cry

I can't tell whether that's sarcasm or stupidity.
    To reply or not to reply.

But to the off-topicness of physical attacks, I think all earth-based attack skills should have an element of physical damage.
    I like pie
  • Mothergoose - Sanctuary
    Mothergoose - Sanctuary Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    I can't tell whether that's sarcasm or stupidity.
    To reply or not to reply.

But to the off-topicness of physical attacks, I think all earth-based attack skills should have an element of physical damage.

Lol, there is what should be, and what is. Yeah, Wizard needs a buff. As for "sarcasm or stupidity," it's neither. Kikuzakura is pretty much right, until Manifest Virtue at lvl 100(at which point they pwn), Wizards are gimped and vulnerable compared to Clerics. Sorry if the truth hurts your feelings, blame PerfectWorld.b:chuckle

As for switching to LA in PVE server, do it when you start TW, not a moment before.
  • Rule - Heavens Tear
    Rule - Heavens Tear Posts: 579 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Make the choice around lev 50. That way you can get on a path with your TT weapon\gear and not have to re-gear later on. Right around there is when you'll start doing your TT runs for your weps\gear.

*Please note, a little loss in mag attack isn't a bad thing if your doing lots of runs with similiar level barbs, stealing aggro is NOT a survival tactic.

At 59 is when you'll start Zhenning and when you'll start standing still to take the dmg. Also when you get your sutra and BT so you might want to stand still and take that extra hit to finish your cast.

Also at 59 is when you can start dueling and pk with some chance to win, so you'll run into archers if you choose to persue it.

The whole thing with clerics putting thier 2 cents in...ignore it. Pay attention to the high lev wizzies. Even then there are 2 schools of though. The LA's and the pure INT. Both tend to be fanatical.
  • Friction - Lost City
    Friction - Lost City Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Arcane ftw!
    LA feels too much like an archer wannabe with crappy dmg.
    True mage is full mag arcane.
    Just my opinion though.
    Anyways, to the OP, like everyone else is saying, in a PvE server i would stay arcane if you can, but if you can afford it and want to switch, i would say 70+ is a good time.
    Keep in mind, if you plan on reaching 90+ you are going to want to stat back to arcane, as it comes with crazy phys def mods.
  • Sindygoboom - Sanctuary
    Sindygoboom - Sanctuary Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    I have been pure since i started, but I'm seriously considering making the switch to LA.

For general questing and most of the game, Pure is fantastic. I tear through my quests and most mobs are magical anyway.

But...if you want to do TW, rebirth, or DT (which I find myself doing more now) then pure is frustrating. rebirth/zen requires you to stand there and take hits, and TW/DT mean I'm a one shot for anyone who isn't a wizard/veno. Blinking helps, but i'm not trying to avoid just one person.

Haven't made up my mind yet, but letting you know that if you want to take part in some of the "special" areas of the game, LA may make your life a bit easier. But I feel well justified being pure when it comes to everything else.
  • Coldflash - Dreamweaver
    Coldflash - Dreamweaver Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Well honestly, I love my LA, at about 25 or so I switched to LA and I only looked back once. Yesterday I crunched some numbers on Orchid Petaliis, with LA I was doing about 2800-3100 with pyro/gush and about 4800-5000 with sandstorm, when I restated to pure I went back and did about 3000-3200 with pyro and gush and about 5000-5200 with sandstorm, so honestly there is very little difference, the difference is maybe one more spell. Now maybe at extremely high levels it would be more effiecient to switch back to pure, but I think the phys def is far more helpful in FBs and TTs, and probably in TWs (haven't done any yet). All I know is that at 50 I was tanking everything in fb 39 without an issue, and one reg mob at a time in FB51 at 51. (just for fun of course, and to speed up unwined runs)

So it all comes down to preference as everyone says, but imo there is very little damage gap. The only real downside to LA is mag attacks hurt more, and around tusktown and the swamp it can be painful as alot of them are metal mobs instead of something we have a shield for. But if you do go LA I suggest having an arcane set for pure magic mobs, even if its just an npc set of armor it will have more resists (obviously keeping two sets of TT armor is fairly hard and extremely expensive so meh...)
  • RapiBurrito - Heavens Tear
    RapiBurrito - Heavens Tear Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    ...and forget that you can just blink out of a archers radar.

Stun Arrow.

And, anyways, u ussually dont know they are there, till u get the first shot :)

Last, Try to run from Slingy lvl90+, turns out to be really anoying :)
  • RedSpeller - Sanctuary
    RedSpeller - Sanctuary Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Well I'm pure, and I use powders. Golden Jade, Rock Stone, Dew of God Protection, Soulcleanse Orb & Principle Orb are my answers to my weaknesses.

Oviously you have to time it good, but when you used to do it the result can be quite good. I wont said I didn't think switching to LA, but I'll stick with pure.

From what I've seen on PW-CN, powders are the best way to show mage power.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PrettySammy - Sanctuary
    PrettySammy - Sanctuary Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    I was Pure mage till level 66 till I got sick of being butchered in PK mode, PvP and TW. So I switched to LA and I am loving it.

I know Pure does more damage but at least now I can actually fight BM's Barbs etc and not get my **** kicked so fast. I also find rebirth alot easier and Zhen.

I think both Pure and LA have different advantages, it just depends on how you play.

Sammy x b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I don't need no pdef, cos I got ... BOOM HEADSHOT !
  • missqq
    missqq Posts: 277 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Never. 10chars
  • Taurzo - Lost City
    Taurzo - Lost City Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    In a PvE server it's best for a wiz to be Pure; LA just doesn't make sense. Furthermore, you don't wanna switch to LA late in the game because Pure's begin to do significantly more damage and diminishing returns allows for them to become superior.

I'm currently LA and it's a great build in lower lvls however, I'm restating at around 90+ because it only makes sense to do so. Why gimp a class any further than it already is? Furthermore, I find that high lvl Pures start pwning everything (90+) so I don't wanna miss out on what I've worked so hard to achieve.
  • Xer - Lost City
    Xer - Lost City Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    many pl go la from 1-60 then turn pure mage becus of the damg
    Make War not love