Sharing - bannable?

Mikel_oru - Sanctuary
Mikel_oru - Sanctuary Posts: 610 Arc User
edited April 2009 in General Discussion
Is sharing accounts or owning multiple acounts bannable? I mean many people have close friends that could entrust their account to...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by Mikel_oru - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Saitada - Sanctuary
    Saitada - Sanctuary Posts: 3,220 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Is sharing accounts or owning multiple acounts bannable? I mean many people have close friends that could entrust their account to...
    Sharing accounts is bannable, having multiple accounts is not. This topic has been asked multiple times. Search is your friend.

look for : Account Sharing

~S
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Sharing accounts is bannable
    Owning multiple accounts is allowed.
    Having more than one game client running on a single computer is bannable.

EDIT Saitada wins with the ninja reply.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • hawk
    hawk Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    There's nothing wrong with owning multiple accounts as long as only one game client is running per computer.

As far as sharing accounts goes, I will quote this from the customer support area located here - http://support.perfectworld.com/faq#genFaq9
    rules wrote:
    First, sharing and letting someone else use your account is a direct violation of the Terms of Use. Second, within the Terms of Use it is explicitly stated that you (the registered user of the account) are directly responsible for actions that are conducted with your account.
  • Mikel_oru - Sanctuary
    Mikel_oru - Sanctuary Posts: 610 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    OK but why is it bannable really? Isn't it your personal responsibility? Why not have the freedom of doing whatever we want with our accounts, except selling of course but that's a different story. For example two people might wanna share accounts so they can help each other out, what's so harmfull about that? I don't get it b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    Saitada - Sanctuary Posts: 3,220 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    OK but why is it bannable really? Isn't it your personal responsibility? Why not have the freedom of doing whatever we want with our accounts, except selling of course but that's a different story. For example two people might wanna share accounts so they can help each other out, what's so harmfull about that? I don't get it b:surrender
    It's bannable in every MMO I have ever played.

The reasons are myrid but begin with preventing people from selling their accounts as much as possible.

Preventing the almost guaranteed crying when two friends have a falling out and one steals everything from the other (it does and will happen)

Making it easier to detect and identify ****/stolen/sold accounts.

And finally, because they said so.

~S
  • OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear
    OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    It's bannable in every MMO I have ever played.

The reasons are myrid but begin with preventing people from selling their accounts as much as possible.

Preventing the almost guaranteed crying when two friends have a falling out and one steals everything from the other (it does and will happen)

Making it easier to detect and identify ****/stolen/sold accounts.

~S

You forgot the most important one: To prevent people from paying someone to level their character for them, and should they use such a service it gives the company (PWE in this case) the absolute right to permanently ban said account(s).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sillyfoo
    sillyfoo Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Sharing accounts shouldnt be allowed cause if two or more people are playing one char then they might as well allow botting if they gonna allow sharing since its the same thing almost. I know some start out trying to just help but its a no no.
  • Mothergoose - Sanctuary
    Mothergoose - Sanctuary Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    The company is just covering for themselves in case of situations everyone already cited.

There is no way of telling who is behind an account. Your friend may be playing, or you may just be visiting and logging in through your friend's computer.

This is an unenforceable clause that cannot, and therefore will not be enforced, unless you turn yourself in and say "I share account, BAN ME!" Even then, they'll probably figure you just jumped on an already logged on computer from a brother/sister that you've had an argument with, and are now trying to get them banned.b:chuckle

Bottom line is, if you share an account, and it gets stolen, or a number of other things happen to it, expect no help from GMs. They will point to TOS and say "I told you so."b:victory
  • Blancheneige - Heavens Tear
    Blancheneige - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,494 Arc User
    edited April 2009

Sharing account is bannable in theory.

I never heard anyone was banned for it tho.

Stay near the Crazy Stone quest NPCs and listen to white chat. You'll frequently read something like :

- "Hi XXXXX! How are you?"

- "I'm not XXXXX, I'm only doing his/her crazy stone for him/her"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks Brit for the sig b:laugh
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited April 2009

~S

Quoted for truth!

Just like my mother used to tell me...Because that is just the way things go.

Who cares anyways....you should be playing your own character!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • Voices - Lost City
    Voices - Lost City Posts: 199 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    My wife and I might as well be the same person.......we share everything in our lives.

That is how I feel.
  • Zephyrx - Lost City
    Zephyrx - Lost City Posts: 1,563 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    My wife and I might as well be the same person.......we share everything in our lives.

That is how I feel.

Well... if everything is fine, I would think it's safe to share accounts if you understand that in the worst case... You will lose all the equipments/gold/items everything striped from your account in a matter of hours.

EDIT: Actually worst case is you get banned from the game lol

If you can live with that risk, then by all means share accounts with people you trust. But anyhow... I also ask the question why *close friends* would want access to your account lol?
    Position: Professional Forum Troll
    Position Details: Be able to incite people to flames and perform miracles such as telling people what's right and what's wrong. Be able to dish out flames to other people so fire extinguishers are needed to put out the flames. Most of all, giving others a piece of reality.

ZephyrX is better than crack... he's your Anti-Drug
  • Voices - Lost City
    Voices - Lost City Posts: 199 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Sometimes accounts are emptied by previous owners and given away to their friends. These characters can be used as extras in HH.

In other cases, an extra character is freed up, but that person can't play at a critical hour (such as TW or HH).
  • starman17
    starman17 Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    youre pretty much asking to have your stuff sent to another account. why tempt fate?
  • Torinchibi - Lost City
    Torinchibi - Lost City Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    ....ugh....didn't they ban a bunch of CQ because some random BLT wf said someone else was on their account and they lost items....

No1 ever got banned for sharing accounts because the tos explicitly states account security is your own responsibility, if you choose to give 20 people your password and they rip you off they can simply point to that and say "GTFO, your own fault".

A bunch of guild leaders/organizers would have to be banned for sharing the account of a guild bank...or the guild leaders' account for the sake of bidding.
  • Revert - Lost City
    Revert - Lost City Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    The reason why account sharing isn't allowed in pretty much every MMO there is is directly because of the ToS. You agree to the terms that they lay out and have to accept them before starting the game. Now if someone who did not play the game (and thus did not agree to the ToS, but still plays on occasion), did something illegal in their game, they can't do anything about it.

So in other words, its to cover their asses in the event that someone who did not sign the ToS did something against the law, they would not be accountable.
  • Zephyrx - Lost City
    Zephyrx - Lost City Posts: 1,563 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    The reason why account sharing isn't allowed in pretty much every MMO there is is directly because of the ToS. You agree to the terms that they lay out and have to accept them before starting the game. Now if someone who did not play the game (and thus did not agree to the ToS, but still plays on occasion), did something illegal in their game, they can't do anything about it.

So in other words, its to cover their asses in the event that someone who did not sign the ToS did something against the law, they would not be accountable.

Lol, laws are funny....

No one really follows them anyways, all everyone does is find loopholes in it instead of actually following the rule it way it was suppose to be written.

Ex) Badly written rule telling you to never use emotes in PvP. Then some person uses animation cancel to make emotes in PvP and that just pretty much a loophole. Instead of following the rules it way it was intended. People instead spend their time "legally" trying to crack holes in a law.

And hence we have highly paid intelligent lawyers
    Position: Professional Forum Troll
    Position Details: Be able to incite people to flames and perform miracles such as telling people what's right and what's wrong. Be able to dish out flames to other people so fire extinguishers are needed to put out the flames. Most of all, giving others a piece of reality.

ZephyrX is better than crack... he's your Anti-Drug
  • arachnos1
    arachnos1 Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    sharing accounts is always weird in mmos. I used to play a very popular one (will not give the name cause of decency) and I moved to a different city, bought a new machine. Guess what happened? xD I got banned for sharing accounts.
  • Black_fall - Heavens Tear
    Black_fall - Heavens Tear Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    So if multiple accounts is fine, and having the client running on two different computers is fine...

Is it safe to assume that running two different PC's, each with one of your accounts, just to trade items / coin to your 'main' is fine?
  • Seraph - Dreamweaver
    Seraph - Dreamweaver Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Your bank/mule wouldn't be much of one if you couldn't...

lol