How can you disable the chat profanity filter

siigari
siigari Posts: 0 Arc User
edited April 2009 in General Discussion
Simple question. How can the chat profanity filter be disabled?
Post edited by siigari on

Comments

• Seraph - Dreamweaver
    Seraph - Dreamweaver Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    It can't.

Next question...

:P ;)
  • Zephyrx - Lost City
    Zephyrx - Lost City Posts: 1,563 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Woot! horray to more usage of the word

****, instead of the "F" word
    Betch, instead of the "B" word
    A*hole, instead of the "A" word

Dun you love it when it doesn't work?

P.S. On a side note, can you use profanity to spell out the entire alphabet? (A-Z of pure pwnage!)
    Position: Professional Forum Troll
    Position Details: Be able to incite people to flames and perform miracles such as telling people what's right and what's wrong. Be able to dish out flames to other people so fire extinguishers are needed to put out the flames. Most of all, giving others a piece of reality.

ZephyrX is better than crack... he's your Anti-Drug
  • OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear
    OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited April 2009

P.S. On a side note, can you use profanity to spell out the entire alphabet? (A-Z of pure pwnage!)

Don't bypass the filter because if you tick the right person off by doing something entirely unrelated, you just might get reported. b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    You should be able to turn off the filter client-side though. Isn't it each person's informed decision to want to see swear words or not?

I perfectly agree with having the filter so that people can be confident in not seeing any swear words, if they so choose. I just don't think PW should force the decision on us. Most of us......... well, okay, some of us are mature adults here, and occasionally we resent being lumped in the same boat as a bunch of 12-year-olds. :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
  • XHappyBunnyx - Sanctuary
    XHappyBunnyx - Sanctuary Posts: 683 Arc User
    edited April 2009

you can say the A word. i dunno if anyone realized this.. but i have since i use it on a daily basis. But for some reason i cant say Hooker? why
    Q - How to win on Perfect World?
    A - Throw money at it.
  • Elfwynn - Heavens Tear
    Elfwynn - Heavens Tear Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    try spelling cockatrice lol
  • Daialura - Heavens Tear
    Daialura - Heavens Tear Posts: 134 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Yes I almost fell out of my chair when I saw that... Censoring a word used in a product you sell?

Fantastically failed.

I mean what if Coke started doing that because of the drug reference????

http://img9.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cokecensored.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

And still too squishy...
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    Saitada - Sanctuary Posts: 3,220 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Yes I almost fell out of my chair when I saw that... Censoring a word used in a product you sell?

Fantastically failed.

I mean what if Coke started doing that because of the drug reference????

rofl. Love it.

~S
    edited April 2009
    You should be able to turn off the filter client-side though. Isn't it each person's informed decision to want to see swear words or not?

I perfectly agree with having the filter so that people can be confident in not seeing any swear words, if they so choose. I just don't think PW should force the decision on us. Most of us......... well, okay, some of us are mature adults here, and occasionally we resent being lumped in the same boat as a bunch of 12-year-olds. :P

Why does it even matter if you can or cannot turn the filter off?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hawk
    hawk Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    The swear filter can interfere with regular conversation by censoring things that really aren't swears in the context they are used in. It can be irritating, so asking if it can be disabled somehow is a legitimate question.

Unfortunately at this point there isn't a way, but maybe if enough people suggest that a on/off toggle be implemented it might happen in the future.
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Never said it mattered much. I just said it'd be nice if they let the adult players choose what to hear instead of forcing them to adopt the swear-word policy of an 8-year-old.

EDIT:
    Unfortunately at this point there isn't a way, but maybe if enough people suggest that a on/off toggle be implemented it might happen in the future.
    Count me in. XD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
    edited April 2009
    Never said it mattered much. I just said it'd be nice if they let the adult players choose what to hear instead of forcing them to adopt the swear-word policy of an 8-year-old.

There are words on that filter that you simply do not use publicly for any reason. Not because of your "swear word policy of an 8-year-old" concept, but because they are so negatively charged and offensive you simply do not use them. Ever.

Still believe the filter is the "swear word policy of an 8-year-old"?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    Saitada - Sanctuary Posts: 3,220 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    There are words on that filter that you simply do not use publicly for any reason. Not because of your "swear word policy of an 8-year-old" concept, but because they are so negatively charged and offensive you simply do not use them. Ever.

Still believe the filter is the "swear word policy of an 8-year-old"?
    I think 'some' of the censored words are a bit overboard, but I think all of is do. It would be nice to have the option to turn it off though. TBH though, I like reading some of the more colorful ****** in WC and trying to puzzle them out. lol.

~S
    edited April 2009
    Yep, you're right. Words like coke, what an awful drug.

Words are abstract juxtapositions of sounds or symbols in the case of writing. They're only given meaning based on what they represent and what they represent changes often depending on context, culture or language.

In the specific case of the Crimson Cockatrice predicament, the "offensive" part, ****, has several meanings:

From http://www.dictionary.com/
    1. a male chicken; rooster.
    2. the male of any bird, esp. of the gallinaceous kind.
    3. Also called stopcock. a hand-operated valve or faucet, esp. one opened or closed by rotating a cylindrical or tapered plug having part of the passage pierced through it from side to side.
    4. (in a firearm)
    a. the part of the lock that, by its fall or action, causes the discharge; hammer.
    b. the position into which the ****, or hammer, is brought by being drawn partly or completely back, preparatory to firing.
    5. Slang: Vulgar.
    a. ****.
    b. sexual relations with a man.
    6. a weathercock.
    7. aleader; chief person.
    8. Chiefly British Informal. pal; chum.
    9. British Slang. nonsense.
    10. Horology. a bracketlike plate holding bearings, supported at one end only. Compare bridge 1 (def. 17).
    11. Archaic. the time of the crowing of the ****; early in the morning; cockcrow.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

And still too squishy...
    edited April 2009
    Well it deleted the other half of my post but... Basically adults should be able to decide for themselves what's offensive and what isn't.

Censors only hurt those who want to use the language legitimately. People who really want to be offensive will find ways around the filter as can be observed any day of the week in WC....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

And still too squishy...
    edited April 2009
    Yep, you're right. Words like coke, what an awful drug.

Words are abstract juxtapositions of sounds or symbols in the case of writing. They're only given meaning based on what they represent and what they represent changes often depending on context, culture or language.

In the specific case of the Crimson Cockatrice predicament, the "offensive" part, ****, has several meanings:

You know exactly what I was referring to, so you can stop trying to be "cute" about it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lightaine - Dreamweaver
    Lightaine - Dreamweaver Posts: 326 Arc User
    edited April 2009

I like to know what foul names I'm being called after I kill some FudgePacts b:laugh
    hai2u
  • Smexxyfox - Heavens Tear
    Smexxyfox - Heavens Tear Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    It annoying, it filters out everyday normal non ofefnsive words and it serves no purpose. Everyone know how to put a strategic capital or extra letter to still get the rude messages accross.

Nothing wrong with choice and its not a hard one to impliment, just upload a blank badwords.txt to the pak and the filter is gone.
  • SATII - Lost City
    SATII - Lost City Posts: 202 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    I can't figure out why they would censor such important organs of the human body that without, none of us would exist. You might as well take out sex ed from schools. Along with some other words that were from the 1950s that most people today wouldn't recognize as something derogatory.

IMO though, censors are utterly useless. They just make the censored words forbidden fruit - if we're not allowed to use them, then we just want to use them even more. If we were allowed to use them, then well... OK it won't go away, but it might go down =P. I mean, where's the incentive to swear if your not gonna get a bunch of asteriks to **** off the other person cause they can't figure out what your saying.
    edited April 2009
    You know exactly what I was referring to, so you can stop trying to be "cute" about it.

Without hearing it from you specifically, I can't know exactly which word(s) to which you're referring because I'm not you and I don't have the same list of "unacceptable words" that you do.

Additionally, I'm genuinely surprised that someone with this
    'Disclaimer: if the above post finds you offended, darn, my bad. '
    in their signature is taking this kind of stance on the subject...

Aside from the immorality of deciding for other free-thinking adults what's offensive and what isn't, being a programmer myself, I can say with a certain degree of accuracy that creating a system of censorship that works, while still allowing the words when used legitimately in their unoffensive context, is not possible. There are far too many variables to consider.

If I were to say "I have an enormous ****" referring to my (hypothetical) overweight pet donkey, that's a legitimate use of the language.

If I were to say "You're an **** for wanting to decide for me what's offensive and what isn't" well, you'd have a better argument that it might be offensive if such things offended you.

However, how would an automated system tell the difference? What about swearing in other languages? What about English words that aren't swear words for many of the European players on the servers?

Systems of censorship are always flawed and there are always ways around them.

Additionally, if you're concerned about kids seeing the obscenity, then that can also be addressed by insisting that parents not rely on a business to control what their children do. It'd be like allowing a parent to sue Ford because a drunk person in a Mustang hit their child when they weren't looking.

So... Regarding systems of censorship
    1. They don't work without interrupting normal, legitmate use of language
    2. They don't work to stop people from being offensive when they choose to be
    3. They allow others to decide what is offensive and what is not instead of allowing you to make that choice

Using Occam's razor for this situation, I'd propose two changes:

1. Make the censors client side.
    This would keep adults happy and self moderated and also would relieve a small bit of server usage.

2. Create a parental lock in the System panel.
    Such a system could borrow already made code from the bank password system.

I hope they make the change.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

And still too squishy...
  • siigari
    siigari Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    I wasn't expecting this to bloom into a megathread, but...

I really just get annoyed when someone types something and I see ****. That means that the developers believe I do not need to see what that says, and I want to be able to read it on my own.

It really upsets me.
  • Mahaylow - Sanctuary
    Mahaylow - Sanctuary Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited April 2009

or grasshopper b:chuckle
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    The problem is that the chat filter does not understand word boundaries.

I'm guessing it is based off a filter for chinese since chinese has no word boundaries. Its pretty lousy in english, here are my favorites.

"circumstances" turns into cir****tances (oddly the word "****" is not censored)

"japanese" is "***anese". I mean seriously wtf here. "***"? Is it the 1940's?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
    edited April 2009
    Without hearing it from you specifically, I can't know exactly which word(s) to which you're referring because I'm not you and I don't have the same list of "unacceptable words" that you do.

Hey, just because you don't find racial slurs and epithets offensive or socially unacceptable doesn't mean that society at large feels the same way.

Now, do you understand that I am not referring to common swear words? Yes?

Additionally, I'm genuinely surprised that someone with this
    'Disclaimer: if the above post finds you offended, darn, my bad. '
    in their signature is taking this kind of stance on the subject...

Stop being an ****. I'm serious, because you know exactly what I meant.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jemima
    jemima Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    OMGLAZERZ: Just because a few of the words censored in whole or in part are 'actually bad' words by your arbitrary standards of obscenity doesn't change the fact that the filter is broken and censors many 'non-bad' words. A filter which replaces every single character with blanks would successfully censor every single offensive word, but no one would consider it a well working filter. Rather, it would be considered horribly broken.
    edited April 2009
    Hey, just because you don't find racial slurs and epithets offensive or socially unacceptable doesn't mean that society at large feels the same way.

Now, do you understand that I am not referring to common swear words? Yes?

Stop being an ****. I'm serious, because you know exactly what I meant.
    I do find those words offensive. I had assumed that's what you were referring to but even in those cases, the filters don't work because:
    1. People who don't want to be offensive wouldn't use those words in the first place.
    2. People who do want to be offensive don't care that the filters exist and will find a way around them.

The truth of the matter is content filters disrupt normal communication and they do nothing to prevent jerks from bypassing them. If I have to be an **** to get the point across, so be it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

And still too squishy...
    edited April 2009
    jemima wrote: »
    OMGLAZERZ: Just because a few of the words censored in whole or in part are 'actually bad' words by your arbitrary standards of obscenity doesn't change the fact that the filter is broken and censors many 'non-bad' words. A filter which replaces every single character with blanks would successfully censor every single offensive word, but no one would consider it a well working filter. Rather, it would be considered horribly broken.

Dude, I am not talking about "my arbitrary standards", dumbass. Read my last post. Thanks for playing.

I do find those words offensive. I had assumed that's what you were referring to but even in those cases, the filters don't work because:
    1. People who don't want to be offensive wouldn't use those words in the first place.
    2. People who do want to be offensive don't care that the filters exist and will find a way around them.

The truth of the matter is content filters disrupt normal communication and they do nothing to prevent jerks from bypassing them. If I have to be an **** to get the point across, so be it.

As I said much earlier, they are more for "slips of the tongue" since people do that from time to time. If someone really wants to bypass it, they will regardless, but that doesn't mean that the filter isn't doing what it's supposed to do, and by "supposed to do" I mean parse the text stream.

The main problem with the filter is it's not an "intelligent" filter. It simply parses the text stream. The other problem is that the game settings, as far as I know, are not account specific, but computer specific and the game loads the settings used last. So, if one person turns the filter off, the other person might not know it was turned off unless they know to check. If a parent and their kid play the game at different times using the same computer and the parent turns the filter off for when they play, and they don't know the settings are computer specific, not account specific, and log off without turning it back on. then they just turned if off on their kid's account as well if they use the same computer. Same deal with people who play from gaming centers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2009
    Dude, I am not talking about "my arbitrary standards", dumbass. Read my last post. Thanks for playing.
    I'm sorry, but I'm choosing not to ignore this one... How can you justify advocating filters for socially unacceptable behavior and follow that up with calling someone a dumbass?
    ,( o_O)?

I know you weren't referring to me, but having an IQ of 138, I personally really find that word offensive.

However I'm still not going to tell you you can't say it or ask PWI to add "dumbass" to their filter list. It's your right as a free thinker to be able to speak your mind. ^_^

All for the same reason I don't want filters at all:
    1. If dumbass happens to have a legitimate use somewhere, filtering it will only cause disruption.
    2. Even with a filter present, you might still find a way to circumvent it.

Don't you see? That's been my message from the beginning... Forget the word meanings that shift depending on language or culture, forget who's offended and who's not, forget the immorality of allowing someone else to decide for a free-thinking adult what they can and can't read, see or hear, the bottom line is content filters do not effectively prevent people who want to be offensive from being offensive.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

And still too squishy...
    edited April 2009
    Sorry, but I'm choosing not to ignore this one... How can you justify advocating filters for socially unacceptable behavior while simultaneously calling someone a dumbass?
    ,( o_O)?

This thread is not about "socially unacceptable behavior". This thread is about the language filter. If someone takes the time to make the accusation they did, then they deserve what I said. I make no apologies: please refer to my sig. Do you understand my sig now? Yes? My sig is not referring to using racial epithets or racial slurs or swearing in general, but because I tend to be a bit harsh and abrasive from time to time which some people probably do not like. Yes, calling someone a "dumbass" isn't nice, but then again, no one said I was "nice", either.

I know you weren't referring to me, but having an IQ of 138, I personally find that word highly offensive.

However I'm still not going to tell you you can't say it or ask PWI to add "dumbass" to their filter list. It's your right to be able to speak your mind. ^_^

All for the same reason I don't want filters at all:
    1. If dumbass happens to have a legitimate use somewhere, filtering it will only cause disruption.
    2. Even with a filter present, you might still find a way to circumvent it.

Don't you see? That's been my message from the beginning... Forget the word meanings that shift depending on language or culture, forget who's offended and who's not, forget the morality of deciding for a free-thinking adult what they can and can't read, see or hear, the bottom line is content filters do not effectively prevent people who want to be offensive from being offensive.

Question: if someone can circumvent the lock on your front door, and get into your house, does that mean you shouldn't put a lock on your front door?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2009
    If someone takes the time to make the accusation they did, then they deserve what I said. I make no apologies:
    That's according to you which is fine for you. The word is offensive to me though. How does PWI reconcile that? Do I or they or anyone else have a right to tell you that you're not allowed to call people dumbasses because one or ten or ten thousand people don't like it? Some words are offensive, yes and we would likely agree on the vast majority of them. But censoring someone's ability to speak their mind, telling someone else what is right or wrong for them to think, or say, is oppressive and immoral and it has never, in the history of oppressors, succeeded in creating anything but animosity toward the censors and dissent among people who want a voice.
    Question: if someone can circumvent the lock on your front door, and get into your house, does that mean you shouldn't put a lock on your front door?

If the lock prevents me from using my own house how I want then yes but only because it's a defective lock and needs to be replaced.

But my door lock works and I have a key I can use to disable the lock (Or turn it off as it were) when I choose.

Additionally, the analogy is relevant since locks exist only for my own peace of mind and reinforce my own illusion of safety. Someone who wants to get into my house will do so with or without a lock.

And... A lock that works will delay someone trying to break in which is the analogous issue: the lock in PWI (Read "language filter"), in its current implementation, is broken.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

And still too squishy...