Petite Sawfly: Is it worth it

Luckyangell - Heavens Tear
Luckyangell - Heavens Tear Posts: 5 Arc User
edited June 2010 in Venomancer
Ok so i am a noob and now i have bought a petite sawfly egg for 2k.
So here's my questions:
1. Is it worth it to get petite sawfly at lvl8 and level it up?

2. it's really hard to grind with petite sawfly because of its low health and halved damage. should i give up leveling it and level up a land pet instead?
Post edited by Luckyangell - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• sillyfoo
    sillyfoo Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Damage is not halved when ur fighting land mobs with ur air pet that rule only applies to characters not pets. If u train with air pets on land mobs just know that if u arent flying urself ur pet will get stuck on hills a lot. Your sawfly will have low health and u'll end up healing more then lets say a foxwing or a windwalking piggie but you will definitely kill faster so it makes up for it. I have sawfly(that i lvl'd from lvl 8 and is now 55) with bash lvl 3 and flesh ream lvl 3 it serves me pretty well for grinding and so forth and is decent. Will not stand up to a pheonix but its a ok alternative.

edit - Get a crystaline magmite (lvl 17) or a volcanic magmite (lvl 18) as ur tanking land pet it has pretty good def and attack. Although a million other venos will have same pet but its "generally" rated the best alternative to getting a hercules. Get magmite and sawfly. If you dont like how sawfly works u can always catch something else later.
  • Byno - Sanctuary
    Byno - Sanctuary Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Having a sawfly and enjoying it depends on your personal preference in what you want in your pets. If you want a pet that outputs a lot of damage, then yes it would be worth it to keep it around and level it as you go. It'll be especially useful later on when you start getting a lot of air quests, or if you decide to grind on air mobs ( as they do give more exp ). If you want more of a tank pet, then you might want to look into some other choices.

However, it sounds like you don't have a land pet at all, and this is very, very bad. Once you start getting into instances and fbs, you won't be able to use your air pet. No matter if you decide to keep the sawfly, you need to find yourself a land pet as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Hammerclaw - Sanctuary
    Hammerclaw - Sanctuary Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Untill level 30, you really have no choice about leveling your air pet on land mobs, and trust me, you DON'T want to wait and try to get it from lv.8 to lv.30 at once. It's hard enough keeping your pets at your level, let alone having them catch up to you.

When your training the sawfly on land, double jump first, or make sure your on higher ground so it dosn't get stuck in the ground and get owned.

Just keep at it, it probaly won't be your main pet, but it's worth it. and besides, the last thing you need is to fly through aggro with nothing but a level 8.
  • Luckyangell - Heavens Tear
    Luckyangell - Heavens Tear Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Thank you all for your answers
    from what i read from Hammerclaw, do u mean that i have to level my sawfly and my golem at the same time on land mobs, won't this be very hard since they would both be low leveled?
  • Dioica - Sanctuary
    Dioica - Sanctuary Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Untill level 30, you really have no choice about leveling your air pet on land mobs, ...

You raised an interesting issue here and, thinking about this, we have various low flying creatures we can fight before we reach level 30.

b:dirty
  • BattleFairy - Lost City
    BattleFairy - Lost City Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    to be honest its the highest attack air pet you can get.

that guy up there suggesting you to double jump w/ it is right.
    you will catch on quick.

just gotta keep the dang thing up in the air
    The Swarm is imminent...
  • Mothergoose - Sanctuary
    Mothergoose - Sanctuary Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Get a higher level sawfly. They share the same growth chart/characteristics, just slightly lower stats at the same level, which isn't that noticeable anyway. It's also faster and comes with higher skills.
    http://pwi.moonalupe.com/bpa1.htm
  • _petgoddess_ - Dreamweaver
    _petgoddess_ - Dreamweaver Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Yeah the petite sawfly is worth the 1-3k since it will last you for all your pvp and sky pve needs. IMO i would give it flesh ream and boost if you got the cash, both nice skillsb:pleased
    9999 Forces Completed -Hercules Acquired-
    9999 Feathers Completed -Phoenix Acquired-
  • Literature - Harshlands
    Literature - Harshlands Posts: 822 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Yeah I heard they have the same flesh ream bug as a nix. ;o It's not as much dmg as nix but it's the best you will get without $200.

I got bash and flesh ream on my sawfly. Works really nice for pvp. O_o
  • Hammerclaw - Sanctuary
    Hammerclaw - Sanctuary Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Thank you all for your answers
    from what i read from Hammerclaw, do u mean that i have to level my sawfly and my golem at the same time on land mobs, won't this be very hard since they would both be low leveled?

Well, not really. When just grinding your pets will get exp faster than you, since you get most of your exp from finishing quests. It's not hard to have both pets at your level with max exp waiting for you to level up so they can.

Just switch them up every so often. If your magmite is at your level, give it a break and use your sawfly for a while. Sure it needs healing more often, but it's attack when it levels is worth it.

Also, someone mentioned low flying mobs. It's true that there are some, but personaly, I had a bit of trouble getting high enough to get the sawfly to attack them.
  • Aniella - Harshlands
    Aniella - Harshlands Posts: 729 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    o_O Sawfly w Bleed = smaxy stuff kill fast! DAMN this thread is old
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

QQ If i did Crazy stone at 3x AND not 6x, i had been lvl 105 now!
    Didnt know about Bh/CrazyStone before lvl 6x LOL