Becoming a GM

2»

Comments

• essenceofnightmares
    essenceofnightmares Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Am I the only one who finds it hillarious that the work-world makes people drive to some dull office on the other side of town just to do a job they could do 100% as well literally from any corner in the world?

But anyway, glad to know you don't make people GM just because they want leet powerz and a title next to their names.

It's not the same, at office they over seen and kept on track easier.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kimyrielle - Heavens Tear
    Kimyrielle - Heavens Tear Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    It's not the same, at office they over seen and kept on track easier.

Not sure about you, but I am very, very sure I wouldn't want to work for people who wouldn't trust me to get any work done without being watched.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Poison - Heavens Tear
    Poison - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,444 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Not sure about you, but I am very, very sure I wouldn't want to work for people who wouldn't trust me to get any work done without being watched.

I'm with you. Part of my job description requirements "Ability to work without direct supervision." I end up getting shuffled around as to who my "direct report" is, a Director, a VP etc.. but it just comes down to I get my work done so "if it's not broke, don't fix it."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • surtr
    surtr Posts: 3,378 Perfect World Employee
    edited November 2008
    We're also able to communicate with each other far more effectively when we're all in one place than if we were all over the world and just connected via e-mail or IMs.
    ==/Senior QA Lead/==

Surtr from the south wielding fire
    The gods' swords shine in the darkness, like stars in the night
    Mountains collapse into rubble and fiends shall fall
    Man walks the road to ruin as the sky splits in two

• xarfox
    xarfox Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2008

Unfortunately, most game companies that offer remote positions for GMs are often plagued with corruption and inconsistent Customer Service.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Poison - Heavens Tear
    Poison - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,444 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    surtr wrote: »
    We're also able to communicate with each other far more effectively when we're all in one place than if we were all over the world and just connected via e-mail or IMs.

ironically, me and two other "senior" members of my team are so frequently running around doing things that got handed to us instead of being in our offices that the rest of the team finds it easier to contact us via IM or e-mail than to try and track us down even though their offices are in the same row as ours.
    b:laugh

And if we weren't in our offices to begin with, we wouldn't be handed so much extraneous garbage to deal with to take us away from what we're supposed to be doing. I actually spend more time talking to our Legal Dept in Stamford CT than my own in-building teamates on a usual week.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • darthpanda16
    darthpanda16 Posts: 9,471 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    We at PWE bond through stickie toys being thrown around that stick to the ceilings and windows, playing Smash Brothers Brawl in the game room, and ping pong challenges to name some of the hard, torturous, and harsh conditions that we're submitted to during breaks ;) b:mischievous

It's not easy getting that kind of communication with the teams spread out. Plus, I think we all actually like our jobs!! b:laugh
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
  • Hawkyx - Sanctuary
    Hawkyx - Sanctuary Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    hah, i demand some photos!
  • lcekilla
    lcekilla Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    agreed, some funny pics would be great b:laugh
  • LifePromiser - Sanctuary
    LifePromiser - Sanctuary Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Would be a good laugh with pictures,indeed.
  • Socialdesire - Harshlands
    Socialdesire - Harshlands Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    I'd love to see an office opened in either Rochester New York, or Las Vegas Nevada, Yeah I'd move there to work for you guys. You rock. The game is like WoW but Free like GW. Well GW is sort of free, but you all get my point. I have all sorts of ideas that might help the game become better.

Well I guess i can leave those in the suggestion box. ^.^
  • andracil
    andracil Posts: 2,949 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    *kills zombified thread*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.