are archers good for pve?

Fiecerage - Sanctuary
Fiecerage - Sanctuary Posts: 14 Arc User
edited April 2009 in Archer
just wondering this

can any high lvl archer plz help me answer this question

i read from somewhere that if you are not planning to go pvp, don't play an archer. is this true?

plus
1)how is archer's killing speed later on compare to other classes
2)are archers expensive
3)will i be able to make decent money with archer

thanx for any inputs
Post edited by Fiecerage - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Horseman - Sanctuary
    Horseman - Sanctuary Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    What do you consider good/bad? Im admittedly not that high up in levels but what makes another class good/bad? All classes have their weaknesses and strengths, if you want to always be invited to FBs and the such then being a Barb or a Cleric is a good idea, if you want to solo then being a Veno is good, if you want to have fun then it depends what sort of combat you prefer, ranged? melee? aoe?

From a personal perspective i find as an Archer im capable of doing well in my environment, but most importantly i find it fun ...

Im not sure i helped answer your question so much as made some of my own, but ill await your response with interest anyway :p

Also i have seen that a lot of high level archers say that post level 50 playing an Archer really comes into its own.

Edit: Suspect i posted before you editted? Archers kill quickly, we deal damage, ultimately you will always need to deal damage at least equivilant to the mobs HP, so i would suspect being one of the highest damage dealers we would kill fast if not fastest? Cheap to play? We arent the most expensive, though i suspect not the cheapest either, and i feel we are capable of making good money but as always you need to prioritise your spending to maximise your ability to not always be poor.
  • Annor - Heavens Tear
    Annor - Heavens Tear Posts: 330 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    1) Archers killing speed does not match that of clerics/wizards (or BMs later on when they can solo AOE grind), but it is comparible or better than the other classes.
    2) Archers are not expensive, with the exception of Zhen squads which are optional, and for most (non-amazingly-rich) players, only done between levels 60-75. Arrows cost basically nothing once you get a reasonable way into the game, and our potion usage is lower than any other class.
    3) You'll be able to make money as well as any other non-venomancer character

and some other stuff:
    With the exception of solo AOE grinding that BMs and sometimes barbs do, archers kill speed is not dramatically slower than any other class. Don't rule out PVP, you may become more interested in it later on.
    Choose the class whose aesthetics and playstyle appeal to you most, you'll be droning away on your main character for a loong time, pick something you'll enjoy.
    Meek with words, abrupt with arrows.
  • Fiecerage - Sanctuary
    Fiecerage - Sanctuary Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    i actually quite like bms, as
    1)their skills look nice
    2)they can aoe grind
    3)with a cleric, they can do anything in the game
    4)they are good at tw and pk
    5)their axes look damn good

however, as XAch said in another post, bms only start getting better at about 70. that's seriously a long way.

i love damage dealers and don't really want to run out of money all the time.

actually, i am planning to go end game pk and some tw here and there
  • Sylvini - Heavens Tear
    Sylvini - Heavens Tear Posts: 259 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Archers kill quickly, very quickly. We may be slower than mages and clerics, but not by too much, and we're probably faster than everyone else (excluding high-level AoE grinding by BMs and barbs).

Archers are probably the best money-makers next to Venos. We do use potions (especially mana) and ammo, which Venos can do without, but neither of those are too costly, and the potions aren't needed in massive quantities.

You're biggest problem is going to be delicacy. Archers are one of the 'squishy' classes, meaning that we die easily if the enemy can actually get to us. The biggest part of being an archer seems to be making sure that doesn't happen.
  • Horseman - Sanctuary
    Horseman - Sanctuary Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Ive found that you need to be a little bit careful when grinding/questing in highly concentrated areas of mobs thats are a similar to slightly higher level, pulling aggro on 3 or more mobs can spell a quick death, like oh wtf just happened quick ...
  • BanexOfxEvil - Sanctuary
    BanexOfxEvil - Sanctuary Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    im a lvl 64 archer and this is wat i think:(in summarised form)

1) i rule in pvp( maybe its just my gear)
    2)im so squishy (if 2 mobs jump me i dont stand a chance without charms)
    3)im a fast money maker ( have approx 35 mil worth of stuff now)

hope that gives alot of detail ^^..... enjoy playing a archer =o
    [SIGPIC]i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp237/DoT_Ending/Sigs/Evilcopy.png[/SIGPIC]
  • mbrunestud
    mbrunestud Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    archers get strong later in the game as well. lets say 6x. right now i can take 3 mobs at the same time w/ dual spark + pot spam, but not if one of them is sac assault. if that thing gets free hits on you you're done
  • exileddw
    exileddw Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    love being archer :P
  • Annor - Heavens Tear
    Annor - Heavens Tear Posts: 330 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    If your networth is 35mil, you should not be squishy. Soulgems and refines, gogo.
    Meek with words, abrupt with arrows.
  • Mosz - Heavens Tear
    Mosz - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,181 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    im a lvl 64 archer and this is wat i think:(in summarised form)

1) i rule in pvp( maybe its just my gear)
    2)im so squishy (if 2 mobs jump me i dont stand a chance without charms)
    3)im a fast money maker ( have approx 35 mil worth of stuff now)

hope that gives alot of detail ^^..... enjoy playing a archer =o

im proud of my buddy , but yah get a bit less squishy like Annor said +2 and average citrines are a cheap way to get unsquishy, although most armor gear isint impressive till 80
  • Elenacostel - Heavens Tear
    Elenacostel - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,822 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    just wondering this

can any high lvl archer plz help me answer this question

i read from somewhere that if you are not planning to go pvp, don't play an archer. is this true?

plus
    1)how is archer's killing speed later on compare to other classes
    2)are archers expensive
    3)will i be able to make decent money with archer

thanx for any inputs

Answering the simple questions:
    1 - Others have answered this with much better experience than I.
    2 - Archers are not expensive. Follow the guide in the Beginner's Section on how to make money, and how to save money. And use only the cheapest arrows (the more expensive ones are not worth it).
    3 - This depends on your spending habits. If you refine and imbue shard often, then your income is... acceptable. If you do not refine and do not imbue shards, then your income is fairly good. I suggest not refining / imbuing until you reach yours 60s, but others will probably disagree.

I'm a PvE-only Archer. I've had a lot fun, and I still look forward to what the future holds.

There is one disadvantage for an Archer though: finding a squad. Specifically: finding a squad for a boss. You'll come across these when you reach the 40s and beyond.

I'm the highest member of my faction, and, during my 40s and 50s, I was the only member of my faction. This meant that I had no reliable source of help for all those wonderful bosses. Getting those completed was somewhat trying. It basically involved me answering world chats of *other* folks that need the boss, and joining their squad. As a damage dealer, you are not that valued in the squad*, and so often you are not allowed to join.

If you do have a faction or a reliable group of contacts, then this won't be much of an issue.

* I understand that damage dealers significantly speed up the process, but not many other players understand this.
  • Cyanea - Lost City
    Cyanea - Lost City Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    1) Archers killing speed does not match that of clerics/wizards (or BMs later on when they can solo AOE grind), but it is comparible or better than the other classes.

Also, archers can have better endurance than wizards and clerics, with little or no "down time" between battles.

Also, blademasters and clerics do not exactly kill faster than archers when they use AoE attacks. Instead, they can fight lots of opponents simultaneously which lets them almost ignore their "kill speed".

However, overall, you gave good advice.
  • Elenacostel - Heavens Tear
    Elenacostel - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,822 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Also, blademasters and clerics do not exactly kill faster than archers when they use AoE attacks. Instead, they can fight lots of opponents simultaneously which lets them almost ignore their "kill speed".

I think Lady Annor was saying the same thing; she's referring to the blademaster's and cleric's ability to kill X monsters faster than an archer.
  • Chaotiic - Lost City
    Chaotiic - Lost City Posts: 498 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Archers are annoying at low level and by low level i mean under 60.

At 60 grinding speed is decent but most will zhen so fairly fast. Easiest way to compare to the other classes is to rank them.

Fastest grinders at 9x:
    1)Cleric/BM
    2) Mage/Veno
    3)Archer
    4)WB

Clerics/BM can AoE at 9x, clerics AoE lv96 spiders who are wood element and poison so no repair costs and they lure about 20+ mobs at a time getting a lot of dq and exp. BMs can pretty much AoE anywhere. Mages kill fastest one mob at a time and venos are equal especially with a phoenix. So yh only people we kill faster than is barbs b:sweat. Zhen can never be included in how fast u kill/level as EVERYONE can zhen. Yes any class can lure which makes zhen available to all classes equally.
    Official Guild History

Conqueror->kamisama
  • wenh93
    wenh93 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    well 6x atm and solo grind is easy and never need mp pots just a few hp pots once in awhile(no charms)

i thought grindin gets better at 9x with crits? idk

also 9x is when most ppl just fb/zhen(not sure)/crazy stone/wq rather than grind
  • mbrunestud
    mbrunestud Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    wenh93 wrote: »
    well 6x atm and solo grind is easy and never need mp pots just a few hp pots once in awhile(no charms)

i thought grindin gets better at 9x with crits? idk

also 9x is when most ppl just fb/zhen(not sure)/crazy stone/wq rather than grind

i think u'd have to grind eventually. none of those activities r profitable. (except for fb's if u get really lucky)
  • wenh93
    wenh93 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    mbrunestud wrote: »
    i think u'd have to grind eventually. none of those activities r profitable. (except for fb's if u get really lucky)

be in a paying guild b:pleased
  • ralphsaint
    ralphsaint Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    I seriously think Archers get much better at PvE the more they level. This starts to get noticeable once you get Frost Arrow, and then Knockback Arrow and then Aim Low and Stunning Arrow...

Comparing to other classes, our progression is constant. BM's and Barbs are somewhat crippled in this aspect, since IMHO their grinding does not get easier or harder the more they level (exception: Axe BM's with their AoE's).

Now, Archers spend next to nothing when they grind... Ammo is readily available at the ground. No one wants to get them. You can also buy them for measily 3gp a piece.

Pots are only used on your early levels. The more you level, the less you use them.
  • Nnn - Sanctuary
    Nnn - Sanctuary Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    heh..... i'v been soloing sinse lvl 1-59...........
    only help needed on FB's and Boss's
    i rarely get help but most of the time i solo just FINE

im a pure dex archer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    NNN-SANCTUARY