You fly slower with game minimized? WTFH?

Options
damani
damani Posts: 105 Arc User
edited April 2009 in General Discussion
Really, wtf? I'm lvl 79 and just found this BS out last night.

dont have much to say other than wtf.......and I assume it works the same if you have in window mode and click off it, and the screen freezes....
Post edited by damani on

Comments

• Angelle - Heavens Tear
    Angelle - Heavens Tear Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Eh? I AFK fly often and then tab over and do other things and I still make it to my destination just fine. I don't know who told you that you fly slower but it shouldn't really make a difference whether or not you're tabbed into game or something else. I think you're being punked or that person's computer really sucks.
    Former Leader of 卓越的 {Transcendent}
    -- DoIl - Venomancer - 6X

;D You can call me Minny.
  • Suiryujin - Sanctuary
    Suiryujin - Sanctuary Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    no i am pretty sure its been said that u get half speed if PWI is not the active window on ur computer. i believe some GM confirmed it but well its from memory, dont quote me on it i might be wrong.
    My body is made of swords.
    Iron is my blood, and glass is my heart.
    I have overcome countless battlefields undefeated,
    Without once retreating,
    Nor once being understood.
    Always alone, intoxicated with victory on the hill of swords.
    Therefore, there is no meaning to that life.
    Perhaps this body is nothing but a sword itself.
  • Anjiru - Sanctuary
    Anjiru - Sanctuary Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Eh? I AFK fly often and then tab over and do other things and I still make it to my destination just fine. I don't know who told you that you fly slower but it shouldn't really make a difference whether or not you're tabbed into game or something else. I think you're being punked or that person's computer really sucks.

It was confirmed by a moderator in this thread:

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=220982&page=3
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]b:laugh
    ---
    "Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics."
  • Literature - Harshlands
    Literature - Harshlands Posts: 822 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    andracil wrote: »
    Yes, if the PWI window isn't the active window, flying speed is halved.

WTF LOL! I always alt-tab my game while flying long distances. What a joke that is.

More and more I play this game I see they PWI is just like every other free mmo. "Free game" but theres a bunch of things built in to make things difficult for you without the cash shop.
  • Wei - Heavens Tear
    Wei - Heavens Tear Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    simple task. it takes 1 min to test out everything...
  • andracil
    andracil Posts: 2,949 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Literature, mind explaining how halving flying speed when tabbed means you need to use the cashshop?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Asgenar - Lost City
    Asgenar - Lost City Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Literature, mind explaining how halving flying speed when tabbed means you need to use the cashshop?

it means using tele stones from the cash shop are the way to go.
  • Salvia - Heavens Tear
    Salvia - Heavens Tear Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    I always noticed when I was flying somewhere in a squad I seemed to get there last even if I was first to head out. Guess that's because I always have the screen minimized. So I have a question about this, what's the reason for the slowed flying when minimized? Other than to make us waste more time.
    [SIGPIC]http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=968287001[/SIGPIC]
    ________Evil is calling her name. . .and she is answering________
    _____________________"Take me away."____________________
  • andracil
    andracil Posts: 2,949 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    I honestly don't know, but I'm fairly sure it's not intentional.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Salvia - Heavens Tear
    Salvia - Heavens Tear Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    I honestly don't know, but I'm fairly sure it's not intentional.

Well if it's not intentional I guess I can forgive. ^.^ It would certainly be nice if we could have this fixed in a future patch. Maybe I won't spend two hours flying on the villa quest anymore. =P
    [SIGPIC]http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=968287001[/SIGPIC]
    ________Evil is calling her name. . .and she is answering________
    _____________________"Take me away."____________________
  • Agravain - Heavens Tear
    Agravain - Heavens Tear Posts: 271 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    When the game is minimized in Full screen mode adds an additional 50% to flight time (cuts speed by 1/3) so a flight that takes 10 minutes will take 15 minutes with game minimized. In my own experimentation windowed mode does not suffer from this same condition. Flight speeds were identical. Guess I gotta go windowed whenever I got something important to do.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mbrunestud
    mbrunestud Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    it means using tele stones from the cash shop are the way to go.

it does? if you're going to alt tab then obviously you're doing something else in the meantime, or you'd have used ingame teleport (which may or may not be cheaper than a tele stone)

if you're simply too cheap to teleport, then you'd probably not get tele stones either.
  • Enina - Heavens Tear
    Enina - Heavens Tear Posts: 263 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Possibly, it's a client-side error or intended function. If the game is minimized, it's possible that it automatically either eases up on the system demands so you can do something else without having noticable slowdown on your computer, or that it actually sets your flying speed at half, so it functions like a slo-mo option. Perhaps to encourage people to have the window active more, or to give people time to get momentarily distracted or write a post in the forum(s).

Either case, then it's true that minimizing the game window slows you down, even if you have the soddy lvl 1 elf wings (which becomes not-so-soddy with lvl 10 flight mastery, but that's another story). I don't really mind so much - if I have time to alt-tab and do something else, then I can probably spend those extra minute or three as well without it being the end of the world. And if I'm in a hurry, I'd keep my window active or use the teleport masters.
  • Literature - Harshlands
    Literature - Harshlands Posts: 822 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options

Well I know with me, I would alt tab and do something else. When I pull the game back up I'm not even 1/3rd of the way to my destination. I had considered getting a swiftshadow for that very reason. ;o

-edit- And I'm talking about new players on the standard lvl 30 mounts that go like 0.5.
  • Obsessed - Heavens Tear
    Obsessed - Heavens Tear Posts: 670 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Use window mode then alt+tab. I made a thread the exact same as this in december.
    b:shutup
  • Vulpix - Lost City
    Vulpix - Lost City Posts: 533 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Windowed mode FTW
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    TY _Bloody_Fox_ for the sig ^_^
    I think venomancers are a pretty cool guy, eh mances the venom and doesn't afraid of anything.
  • Nnn - Sanctuary
    Nnn - Sanctuary Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    i always use window mode. lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    NNN-SANCTUARY
  • Leolf - Heavens Tear
    Leolf - Heavens Tear Posts: 380 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    IDK if everyone else knows this, in which case I'll feel really stupid, but you can stretch the windowed mode window. It becomes pretty much full screen, just a little extra at the top and bottom.
  • Bebisita - Dreamweaver
    Bebisita - Dreamweaver Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    But if you're minimized and doing something else, why should it matter? Lol.
  • MelvinFoxber - Sanctuary
    MelvinFoxber - Sanctuary Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    I'm struggling to understand people's problem with this.

If you alt-tab to do something, for example, look up a funny song on Youtube...

then you would spend the same amount of time (length of the song) doing whatever you were doing instead of within the game...

If they kept the same speed, it wouldn't mean you would spend any LESS time doing your other activities... it would mean you would just arrive at your destination and be floating there a little longer.... ?
  • Anjiru - Sanctuary
    Anjiru - Sanctuary Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    It's not that hard to understand, really.
    People Alt+Tab a lot of times to do something in the meanwhile while reaching their destination.
    If it takes longer, people'll have to do something that takes longer and the destination wouldn't be reached at the predicted time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]b:laugh
    ---
    "Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics."
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Well I know with me, I would alt tab and do something else. When I pull the game back up I'm not even 1/3rd of the way to my destination. I had considered getting a swiftshadow for that very reason.
    If I can make one observation: The cash-shop is the worst place to get a faster flying mount. People liquidate them for ridiculously low prices on a fairly regular basis, especially whenever a newer type of flying mount comes out.

For example, I just bought a fully upgraded (+3.0) Israfel for 2.4million. Buying it from the cash shop, it's worth 20 Gold, plus 14.4 Gold in Wind Widgets, which at current Sanctuary Gold prices means it should have been worth about 4million.

If I had paid full cash shop prices it would have been $34.40, but if I had sold gold to raise the in-game coin it would have only cost $20. (But in my case I didn't spend any real money, just in-game coins I'd earned.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com