RL female playing male chars

Options
Lahnce - Heavens Tear
Lahnce - Heavens Tear Posts: 31 Arc User
edited April 2009 in Off-Topic Discussion
So, not sure if there was a thread for this already - but I know for sure that there is a thread for the other-way-around topic "Real life guys playing girls.."

So now I am curious as to how many real life girls out there plays a male chars? I know one reason is when choosing an untamed class, either a Veno or Barb, which seems to be a normal thing to choose for a real guy plays veno and a real girl plays barb.

But what about those other classes??!?? What made you choose it and why?

LOL - I guess I can stab in to be the first one to answer!

<<-- a Female, and yes, I play a male Barb and a male Cleric too! b:chuckle

hehehe Why then u say?

Just cause my heart beats for women only!b:dirty

And as we speak, to the one and only girl ->>Sance<<- b:heart love of my life! hehehe - so cheesy i know!! LOL

But yah, female toons are really looking good, but just couldnt get the feel for it! lol Good thing my girl only prefers to be same in game! whew! b:sweat LOL
"Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts" ~UN *peace y'all* b:pleased
Post edited by Lahnce - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• BridgetF - Heavens Tear
    BridgetF - Heavens Tear Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    That's a good reason of course ;) Wish you luck and happiness.

I wonder what reasons others have. Come on, post!

I myself tried to play male toons in two other games, to see how it goes, but had a hard time identifying with them, so I deleted them after some time. I exclusively play female toons.
  • Lahnce - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Yah, been meaning to know the reasons for others female playing male toons!! LOL if there are any, are there any at all?
    or AM I the only one?!? b:question
    lol.. am glad I can easily relate to a male char and I guess I'm doing good with it so far! hehe b:cool but of course, I tell everyone I am a female still when asked or if a topic suits.... though, after an hour, they come back callin me a "he" b:lipcurl lol So i just let it be after awhile b:surrender
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts" ~UN *peace y'all* b:pleased
  • Garnetstorm - Harshlands
    Garnetstorm - Harshlands Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    I played a male archer in Sanctuary, got him up to lvl 41, but haven't played him since I switched to Harshlands.

Like other guys who say that they choose to play female characters because they'd like to have something nice to look at if they're playing for long hours, I also thought the same thing so I chose to create a cute guy character. Got bored with him later on though especially since ppl don't seem to be as friendly towards guy characters and I tried to make him over, but I ended up **** it up and making him look like a drag queen. b:chuckle
    edited March 2009
    Options
    True; people treat male toons differently, they're usually not as friendly towards them. I couldn't succeed in a man's world. Erm... I mean, I couldn't succeed as a man in the world. But it was worth the experiment.

I mean, playing a male toon changed my behavior a bit. It was interesting, psychologically. It's like I tell the world "I am male now, treat me as a male, and I'll treat you like a male does in return", but really, the male world can be so cruel... It's like a constant competition. You're on your own much more.

It was fascinating to observe, really. When I played a male toon, people didn't position their toons as close to me. I got helped less but got asked to help a lot more. And funny enough, people used to abbreviate their words a lot more... I'm a translator in RL so words are my job. To me it seemed that males tend to throw around heavily abbreviated words, whereas girls tend to have a better writing style. Just my observation. Maybe this helps this thread a bit, I don't know. To summarize and to answer the thread's question (again), I played a male toon to see if I could survive as a man in the world, and if I could identify with my toon. I got negative results for both - I'm better off with my own gender.
  • Pockums - Heavens Tear
    Pockums - Heavens Tear Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Well, in this mmorpg and in others, I've heard that some women choose a male character so they don't get hit on as much.

Garnetstorm's observations:

I've heard of guys saying that they play female characters to have something nice to look at, but I've never heard of a female admit to playing a male character for something nice to look at.

As for BridgetF's observations:

The constant competition and the being on your own much more; being a male playing a mostly male characters, I tend to solo a lot. Personally, I'm not into the competition vs. other characters as much as many other males, but I have noticed that my venomancer is the only character that has never gotten a random duel request; if I'm on any of my male characters for ANY length of time, I get random duel requests. For the most part, I think males tend to be more aloof towards other males, but the animal instinct makes males more attentive to females.

Other toons' positioning, as I pretty much do my own thing, when I'm at an npc, my positioning is entirely dependant on the angle I approached the npc (and other person's angle of approach). Since I like to think that I have better control over my hormones, think that I have a level of respect for females, and realize that it's a game, I don't intentionally stand close to a female toon, just to think that I'm 'close' to a female. And on my venomancer, I've never really taken notice of others' positioning (might be because, as a male, I don't have to worry as much about that in RL). On the other hand, my venomancer has had a person say that they loved me, and my character wasn't more than 10 seconds old, and also gets random embrace requests. Only one of my male characters got a random embrace request (only once), and the person said that they needed chi.

Also, the part of being asked to help more ... since I don't usually play female characters, I can't really compare male vs. female character experience, but, in other mmorpgs I've played, I've often been asked for help (which I do when I am able).

Use of abbreviated words, I haven't thought about, so I haven't noticed.
  • Lahnce - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Kudos to BridgetF, Garnetstorm, and Pockums!! Appreciate the responses and time you've contributed to this thread. And of course, to all others who will have spare time to respond as well, TYVM :D

While there's really not much responses to this thread, it does appear that all three of you have the common ideas and/or reason as to why you would play the opposite gender toons.

Well now, my mind is at least has been opened up with those point of views. When honestly all this time, my mind have assumed that those people who plays the opposite gender toons apart from their RL life gender were either **** or lesbians.b:shutup So turns out that it's not really like that! And sounds like I am the only one who does that! ehehehb:shocked

And at the same time, I even thought that people will just probably respond because they are **** or ****!b:chuckle

So yea, definitely all your answers have been really satisfying and very much appreciated. So if anyone else out there have more things to add, please write up and thank you in advance!b:thanks
  • Garnetstorm - Harshlands
    Garnetstorm - Harshlands Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    And funny enough, people used to abbreviate their words a lot more... I'm a translator in RL so words are my job. To me it seemed that males tend to throw around heavily abbreviated words, whereas girls tend to have a better writing style. Just my observation.

Interesting. I've noticed that too, but I know that I abbreviate more when I have to say something quickly or long and know I don't have much space for it. I study linguistics in RL so that interests me too. Haha, we could do a study. =P
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Always welcome, Lahnce :) And Garnetstorm too of course, we could do a study one day, why not =P

And special kudos to Pockums for his lengthy, thoughtful, detailed reply. Wow.
  • lasttemplar
    lasttemplar Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    True; people treat male toons differently, they're usually not as friendly towards them. I couldn't succeed in a man's world. Erm... I mean, I couldn't succeed as a man in the world. But it was worth the experiment.

I mean, playing a male toon changed my behavior a bit. It was interesting, psychologically. It's like I tell the world "I am male now, treat me as a male, and I'll treat you like a male does in return", but really, the male world can be so cruel... It's like a constant competition. You're on your own much more.

It was fascinating to observe, really. When I played a male toon, people didn't position their toons as close to me. I got helped less but got asked to help a lot more. And funny enough, people used to abbreviate their words a lot more... I'm a translator in RL so words are my job. To me it seemed that males tend to throw around heavily abbreviated words, whereas girls tend to have a better writing style. Just my observation. Maybe this helps this thread a bit, I don't know. To summarize and to answer the thread's question (again), I played a male toon to see if I could survive as a man in the world, and if I could identify with my toon. I got negative results for both - I'm better off with my own gender.

Er....Im starting to understand why in some other games I used to play, people always thought I was a girl (Which Im not)

As for girls playing male chars, Ive met a few people whove done it and I asked them why out of curiosity. One of them told me she used to play a game where all the characters were male, so she just got used to playing male characters

Another one told me she would get attacked more often with a male char than with a female char, and since she liked PvP, she would spend a lot of time playing her male char

Another reason Ive heard is that theyre sick of guys flirting with them, so they play a male char to be spared the agony

This one I found a bit strange though. One of my friends told me that she played a male char so people would stop flirting with her, but then told me she had actually lied when she said that, and the real reason she did it was out of curiosity, but was too ashamed to tell me that. I find it strange because I would have never expected a girl to be ashamed of playing a male character
  • Divine_Demon - Heavens Tear
    Divine_Demon - Heavens Tear Posts: 374 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    well i asked a couple of real girls(not in PWI in real life) about why they pick male. they said they get more respect. but when i asked a PWI female with big **** and ****(i knew it was really a guy) he said she looks cute!?!?! i mean really why do perverts say it looks cute. its way over cute its sexyxbut what do i know.
    "When life gives you arrows give them back ", Divine_Demon b:sin
  • Mothergoose - Sanctuary
    Mothergoose - Sanctuary Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Straight men like women, straight women like men. That, and barbs and venos have no choice.
  • Wolfgang - Dreamweaver
    Wolfgang - Dreamweaver Posts: 438 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Both my archer and cleric are males (barb is too, but again no choice there). I didn't want to be represented in-game by someone who looked like a streetwalker, so I chose to play male toons. IRL I wouldn't dress like the females in-game and because you can't make them more modest I decided to play male toons. Later on I found out about clothes and such, but would still rather play a male character.

I also don't want to be hit on by guys, so it helps if your toon is a guy.
  • Requeil - Harshlands
    Requeil - Harshlands Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    The only male character I had on PW, was the Barbarian. I just wanted to try out the White Tiger skill, then I got bored with it.

Honestly, I don't see the point. Sure, some guys may think 'Why do you need a girlfriend when you got PW and your hand'. But still.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]