Wizard's best ally in PvE?

ganshin
ganshin Posts: 0 Arc User
edited April 2009 in Wizard
My brother and i both play PWI and we are coming back from a hiatus (...?). We are moving to get a fresh start in a new server and we werent sure what class to be. He thought that double-Wizards would be cool, and i agreed but im also wondering what another class with a wizard would be like. Who would be a best companion for a wizard?

::Also:: We've tried a wizard with a barbarian, but neither of us know how to tank/hold aggro so the wizard just got wasted and the barbarian did bad damage to it. b:chuckle

I dont really like the Archer or the Untamed (atleast when i play them) so which combo do you, the members of "The Perfect World International Forum" think will work the best:
Wizard and Wizard?
Cleric and Wizard?

Will one group be better than the other in terms of damage? What would it be like if the cleric was a Hybrid, Full Attack, or Full Support?

I was thinking since we were going to try to stay about the same level, one of us (say him) attacks a monster, it'd go after him, then if i hit it, it'd go after me, then he'd hit it (i think you see where this is going)
"Tell me something I dont know."
"...without mucus your stomach would digest itself."
b:embarrass
Post edited by ganshin on

Comments

• Moog - Lost City
    Moog - Lost City Posts: 633 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    probably a cleric and wizard, or a wizard and blademaster.

Cleric can give wiz magic buffs, elemental buffs, pys defence buffs.

Bm can help stun (mostly pvp) give pys def buff.
  • King_Solomon - Heavens Tear
    King_Solomon - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,341 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    I squad barbs quite often... it's not like they make killing fast but they're nice to team with. for fast killing I prefer archers and venos with herc. archers gain a lot of dmg with frostblade and herc is awesome once it gathers a number of mobs and you have 2 sparks to aoe.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you're willing to join another online game do NOT join any hosted by K2 NETWORK. Want to know why? Check BBB complaints.
  • Mothergoose - Sanctuary
    Mothergoose - Sanctuary Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Are we talking about just grinding here? Because 2 decent characters of any ranged class will be able to kill a melee mob before it gets to them, if they attack the same mob at once. No need for tank.
  • Forp - Heavens Tear
    Forp - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,445 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    obviously a cleric+anything is the best combo. buffs+infinite hp. what isn't good about that?
  • Ffilteg - Sanctuary
    Ffilteg - Sanctuary Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    I voted BM + Wizard. but I just made this squad with someone to get a quest done and I was finding the I took the aggro v easily from the BM which was not great, so I now think a cleric would be a better option.
  • reitetsu
    reitetsu Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    obviously a cleric+anything is the best combo. buffs+infinite hp. what isn't good about that?
    Cleric + anything POWERFUL. Wizard or veno or at least archer. BM or WB will be just an exp leech.
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    Kristoph - Lost City Posts: 2,016 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Barbs/BMs kill too slow, they ruin your exp gain. Other Wizards/Archers are okay. Veno's are only worth partying if they have a phoenix, too slow otherwise. Cleric is by far the best choice, since they actually speed up your killing with buffs, and they're capable of killing fast themselves if you're at a good place.

Are we talking about just grinding here? Because 2 decent characters of any ranged class will be able to kill a melee mob before it gets to them, if they attack the same mob at once. No need for tank.
    This is just stupid, nobody right in their mind does this kind of **** at higher levels. Unless you're training somewhere where you shouldn't.
    Wondering how much longer these **** packs are going to be around.
  • Davitiel - Heavens Tear
    Davitiel - Heavens Tear Posts: 978 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Clerics and Wizards are the best combo for PvE in my oppinion. The Wizard is a class that is designed to be a magic damage dealer, therefore the Wizard will do a lot of damage but their skills take a longer time to cast. Clerics have quite a lot of versatility in this game, from healing to attacking and debuffing. The Wizard will recive a lot of damage since It will pull aggro many times, thats where the Cleric comes in and saves the Wizard. The Clerics fast casting skills are also very good for killing the monster quickly. Do not be fooled, although Wizards have more damage per skill most of the time, a Cleric can attack faster than the Wizard thus can do good magic and phisical damage (Plume Shot). Wizards and Clerics are great for fb's I've soloed many fbs with a wizard, I pull as many mobs as I can to the Wizard, then he/she uses Dragon Breath AoE skill while I spam Ironhearts blessings on him/her; like a mini Zen party b:chuckle. Cleric buffs are ery beneficial to Wizards since they increse Phisical Defence and Magical Damage. And the debuffs work well too since Elemental Seal at level 10 30% magical defence can be reduced from the mob. Clerics and Wizard combos have been the most efficient class combo in my PWI experience.

A word of advice, if one of you becomes a Blademaster, Cleric and Blademaster combos dont work out. The Cleric has good ranged magic skills, when the Cleric attacks a mob the Cleric will pull aggro and the Blademaster takes a while to run to the mob and cast enough damage to take that aggro. Its even worse if its BM+Cleric fighting magic mobs, since the Blademasters have low magic defence you have to keep spamming heals to the BM while trying to defend youself from monsters attacking you and trying to kill the monster before the BM gets into more trouble.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    And now faith, hope, and charity remain; but the greatest of these is charity.
  • Rule - Heavens Tear
    Rule - Heavens Tear Posts: 579 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Wiz+Wiz is awesome, targets are controlled and its just a treat.
    *At lev 79 with undine strike this gets UNREAL.
    Wiz+Cleric is OK, but the cleric can be a bit of a leech once the buffs are done. Full attack cleric might work out ok.
    Wiz+Archer is cool if you can sequence attacks, more often the two will target thier own mobs instead.
    Wiz+Veno is interesting but the Wiz tends to be a leech or hinderance.
    Wiz+Barb is often a bit of a waste, the two tend to work better on different mobs
    Wiz+BM is also often a bit of a waste, the two tend to work better on different mobs
  • ganshin
    ganshin Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    A word of advice, if one of you becomes a Blademaster, Cleric and Blademaster combos dont work out. The Cleric has good ranged magic skills, when the Cleric attacks a mob the Cleric will pull aggro and the Blademaster takes a while to run to the mob and cast enough damage to take that aggro. Its even worse if its BM+Cleric fighting magic mobs, since the Blademasters have low magic defence you have to keep spamming heals to the BM while trying to defend youself from monsters attacking you and trying to kill the monster before the BM gets into more trouble.

Well, My brother is pretty set on Wizard, and i was going to be a wizard but i still had second thoughts on being a cleric. Thanks for all of you info too.
    "Tell me something I dont know."
    "...without mucus your stomach would digest itself."
    b:embarrass
This discussion has been closed.