Stupid PvP Questions

MntMan - Lost City
MntMan - Lost City Posts: 138 Arc User
edited April 2009 in Cleric
Well I just recently started playing a cleric and I had some PvP questions, mainly with regard to healing. I'll start by saying I know it's a dumb one, but I'm curious.

This is my concern.

- How does heal work in PvP? Meaning if I am engaged in PvP (not duel) with someone and I cast iron heart will it heal me or them if I have them targeted? Do I need to click on ESC to untarget them when I want to heal myself?

- If I do not need to untarget, at what point does it recognize the heal should go to me and not the target? Is it when they hit me first? When I first hit them?

- How about when attacking multiple people in PvP? I don't want to click on someone else, click heal and start stacking my opponent with heals by accident. Or if I am in a group I would want to heal people who are attacking WITH me, not AGAINST me.

- Lastly if I am initiating the attack I assume I need to stack iron heart on myself first BEFORE targeting them otherwise I'll just end up stacking them right?

It's kind of a lame issue I guess. Would be easier if there were two ways of casting. Self and other. That way you could choose who you want to heal in different situations.

Again to clarify this is with regard to PvP, not duels. I know in duels all heals go to the caster, not the target. This is in fact what brought my question up. In a duel I kicked but on people my level and 5-8 levels higher. However in PvP I got nailed hard and was wondering why and what the difference was. Granted it could be the skill of the opponents I faced, but they were completely different battles.

Thanks in advance
Post edited by MntMan - Lost City on

Comments

• Lepios - Lost City
    Lepios - Lost City Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    You're right. You have to hit esc to untarget in order to effectively heal yourself during pvp. Otherwise you will be stacking IH on your opponent. Several people have been gunning for a resolution to this by asking the dev's to amend the targeting system to allow for a target button (ie from other games tabbing to switch targets or some other random button to hold in while casting so that you automatically self-cast). To date, this is still an issue afaik. So for now, your only real option is to stack - target victim - blow up - esc - stack ih, rinse & repeat. It's a pain, I know.
  • AndromedaB - Sanctuary
    AndromedaB - Sanctuary Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    You're right. You have to hit esc to untarget in order to effectively heal yourself during pvp. Otherwise you will be stacking IH on your opponent. Several people have been gunning for a resolution to this by asking the dev's to amend the targeting system to allow for a target button (ie from other games tabbing to switch targets or some other random button to hold in while casting so that you automatically self-cast). To date, this is still an issue afaik. So for now, your only real option is to stack - target victim - blow up - esc - stack ih, rinse & repeat. It's a pain, I know.

does that mean if cleric starts healing him self i can dart into a crowd and kill him from there cuz he wont be able to slect me easily? :D
  • Lepios - Lost City
    edited April 2009
    Nope. Since the cleric will have hit escape to untarget, he will be auto healing himself. Which means any damage you do to him will default his target box to the person originating the damage (in this case, you). If its any consolation, there will be people around you when you die since you ran into a crowd of them, so you don't have to worry about dying alone :D
  • MntMan - Lost City
    MntMan - Lost City Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Thanks. That clarifies a lot and why I died so quickly in PvP. Of course if the attacker keeps attacking me even after I hit ESC once won't it retarget him so I have to keep hitting ESC while stacking a few at a time?

Count on me being +1 towards pestering the devs on this one.
  • Lepios - Lost City
    edited April 2009
    Thanks. That clarifies a lot and why I died so quickly in PvP. Of course if the attacker keeps attacking me even after I hit ESC once won't it retarget him so I have to keep hitting ESC while stacking a few at a time?

Count on me being +1 towards pestering the devs on this one.

This really depends on several factors. I run this game on an excellent machine, but this doesn't make me immune to server lag. Sometimes you can get away with stacking a few IH even after the retarget, but thinking logically, your assumption is correct on this one as well. If you start a new thread in the suggestion box, let me know. I will surely +1 it with you haha.