New NPC in Archosaur

Alryn - Heavens Tear
Alryn - Heavens Tear Posts: 20 Arc User
edited April 2009 in General Discussion
A friend of mine told me about a new NPC planned for Archosaur, he daid he had read about on the chinese server. Apparently PW is planning a new NPC for Archosaur to help solve the big problem with lag especially in Arch West. The plan is that you will have to pay the NPC an amount of rent per day before you can set up a Catshop. They've even come up with a name for the NPC 'Hai Lirpaloof'.
Has anyone else heard anything about this?
Do you think it would be a good idea to cut down on the amount of Catshops ?

At least PW is thinking of ways to make us happy b:kiss
Post edited by Alryn - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Zoe - Heavens Tear
    Zoe - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,814 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Oh I hope this is true and that the NPC costs a ton of coins to use. I would just LOVE to hear all the complaints about players not being able to get rich with the cat shops so much anymore. Take that greedy punks. The more coin fees in the game the better.
    Main characters
    Celestial Sage Venomancer Zoe - 100
    Sage Barbarian Malego - 91
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Do you think it would be a good idea to cut down on the amount of Catshops ?
    There are 2 reasons to go to west Archosaur: Crazy stone, and the catshop shopping district. Reduce the number of catshops and you get less lag, sure, but you also get less reason to go to West Archosaur in the first place.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
    edited April 2009
    Oh I hope this is true and that the NPC costs a ton of coins to use. I would just LOVE to hear all the complaints about players not being able to get rich with the cat shops so much anymore. Take that greedy punks. The more coin fees in the game the better.
    Good point Zoe! I hadn't really thought it through, but eliminating the most competitive market from the game is actually a great idea! Less competition = more profits for me.

Now that people won't be able to just go to West Archo for the lowest catshop prices, I'll be able to raise my prices and reap the rewards. Take that greedy punk competitors!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WitchBurner - Sanctuary
    WitchBurner - Sanctuary Posts: 1,394 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Even if it's just a rumor it's still one of the best ideas I've heard. At the very least it will spread the cats out more meaning same shops and less lag. Tech guys-Pay attention
    Currently flying internet spaceships around dodixie, moving to amarr soon.

Send me a mail if you wanna ask/request anything

Sanctuary's retired king of wizards alongside queen Saintblu.
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2009
    Good point Zoe! I hadn't really thought it through, but eliminating the most competitive market from the game is actually a great idea! Less competition = more profits for me.

Now that people won't be able to just go to West Archo for the lowest catshop prices, I'll be able to raise my prices and reap the rewards. Take that greedy punk competitors!

No, it will just make everyone use the auction house more most likely.
    Main characters
  • Tatuaje - Lost City
    Tatuaje - Lost City Posts: 2,780 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    If the costs to using catshops are high enough to be hindering to mid to low level players this idea will only make the rich richer. Which of course is the worst idea. So, I say keep them free so less than rich players have it a bit easier.
    tatuaje: grinding mobs and zhenning ???
    frankieraye:All right, I admit it, it's a bit retro. lol.
  • jalenstar4ever
    jalenstar4ever Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    I don't mind catshops at all. In my opinion, the more the better.

I do, however, mind the messy and unorganized manner in which they are spread all over the place.

PWI really does need to find a way to organize, or "zone" them in some way, so as to make them render a more pleasant, and user-friendly, shopping experience.

Something as simple as placing squares on the ground, that when stood on by a player placing their catshop, would automatically center and align themselves along an organized series of "isles," would go a long ways toward fixing this problem. Shoppers would then, in essence, be able to walk down and isle shop much like they do at a department store.

Hopefully, something like this will soon be implemented.

I won't be holding my breath though.
  • Enina - Heavens Tear
    Enina - Heavens Tear Posts: 263 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    You forgot to mention that the catshops can't be put up by yourself. When you rent a spot, it selects a random location within Archosaur's four districts and puts up you and the catshop there.

On the upside, I heard that a monthly fee of 40 gold would let you set up a non-player catshop that would buy and sell items automatically at the prices you specify, and 'restock' whenever one pile of items run out.
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2009
    Just as long as the botshops can't buy and sell the same items at the same time. Talk about blantant outright greed.
    Main characters
  • Redmenace - Heavens Tear
    Redmenace - Heavens Tear Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    <sigh>

I know you haven't had enough sleep, but seriously.
    They've even come up with a name for the NPC 'Hai Lirpaloof'.
    Has anyone else heard anything about this?

Lirpaloof? = foolapriL

You guys really *were* born yesterday.

CheapEngineer
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert A. Heinlein
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2009
    <sigh>

I know you haven't had enough sleep, but seriously.

Lirpaloof? = foolapriL

CheapEngineer

This wasn't hard to tell at all. I was saying though I really would love a feature like this.
    Main characters
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    Granrey - Sanctuary Posts: 2,050 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    If you make me Mayor of Archo. I would tax Cat Shops and I would designate flee market areas for them.

Then, I will use the cash to hire more auctioners and bankers, which would be located in every quadrant of our beloved city.b:victory
    edited April 2009
    Lirpaloof? = foolapriL

I won't lie (like some), I got suckered. The funny part is that I clicked the message thinking it was probably an april fool's joke, but then when I read it the little dollar signs in my head ("Less competion?!? WOHOOO!!!!!") blocked out the skepticism!

So the moral is, blind greed makes you, um.... blindly greedy? b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MissEbil - Heavens Tear
    MissEbil - Heavens Tear Posts: 369 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    I won't lie (like some), I got suckered. The funny part is that I clicked the message thinking it was probably an april fool's joke, but then when I read it the little dollar signs in my head ("Less competion?!? WOHOOO!!!!!") blocked out the skepticism!

So the moral is, blind greed makes you, um.... blindly greedy? b:victory

Lol Wolfy, you're our resident Mr Crabs.

On another note, I have a Lesser Spotted Lirpaloof for sale: VERY rare pet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Proud member of the VenoMafia.

b:flower Read my FanFic! b:flower
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=334222
  • WitchBurner - Sanctuary
    WitchBurner - Sanctuary Posts: 1,394 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    I didn't notice the name, but as I said this would be an awesome idea
    Currently flying internet spaceships around dodixie, moving to amarr soon.

Send me a mail if you wanna ask/request anything

Sanctuary's retired king of wizards alongside queen Saintblu.
  • Alryn - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2009
    Anyway thanks everyone, this was my response to getting fooled by the cross faction mounts.
    Have a nice day, and Lirpa Loof or April Fool b:laugh
  • Agravain - Heavens Tear
    Agravain - Heavens Tear Posts: 271 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    If they charge rent I suspect it will temporarily reduce catshops in Arch... until the sellers find a new place to congregate. As the old saying goes, "location, location, location". The sellers want to be where the buyers are. The buyers want to find the sellers conveniently together. No one wants to hunt for a shop. My suggestion would be to help disperse the catshops around Arch by creating shopping districts. Put up signs in different locations to encourage catshops of different types to locate there. Sign in NW Arch could read "Mat Lane". SW arch could be "Dragon Quest Street", etc... this would naturally (I think) draw the sellers to those locations, help buyers find exactly what they are looking for, and reduce the catshop congestion.

HAR HAR HAR... good joke though
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Konariraiden - Heavens Tear
    Konariraiden - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,505 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Hold on! Objection! That NPC's name...it's an anagram of April Fools! As Admiral Ackbar would say...IT'S A TRAP!!

EDIT: Ah, ya beat me to it. xP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, it's me. Don't read to much into it, though; I'm only here for myself now, killin' time and chillin' when need-be. So sue me. Tch...
  • Pemarkre - Harshlands
    Pemarkre - Harshlands Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    They've even come up with a name for the NPC 'Hai Lirpaloof'.

Great last name when read backwards. ;)

Though the idea behind this isn't too bad, I've seen the catmarket in Archo... DOOMLAG. Perhaps not necessarily rent, but a "Vending Pass" that you have to buy to be able to make a cat shop at all. It could be, say, 2k or something in the starter cities, and a *lot* more expensive in places like Archo that get mobbed, where the catshops are selling higher level equipment that brings in the big coins.

But if anyone manages to find Mr. Hai in Archo, wish him happy April 1st from me :)

*edit* Haha, I hadn't read to page 2... Jig's up ^x^
    Take the moment in your hands, and dust off the parts that you wish weren't there. Hold onto and pursue the parts you enjoy, letting the drifting dust fade away on the wind, remembered and learned from, but no trouble to you now. ~ Myself, 4/4/09.

Call me Kemi, the lighthearted, optimistic cynic. ^x^

Harshlands |*| Lareish (Enraged Wz - Main) |*| Lalarei (Clc) |*| Pemarkre (Vm)
  • Alryn - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2009
    Maybe I did have a good idea out of a joke, it's always been on my mind because of the very bad lag I suffer there at times.
    To be honest I would be a lot happier if the catshops were not spread all over the paths, so that you can walk down them and see where everything is, NPC's especially. I myself found it very hard to find my way around Arch when I first arrived there. And to be completely honest I now spend most of my time flying quickly from one place to another, and then getting away from catshop alley as quick as possible. And sorry but I tend to do most of my catshop buying elsewhere whithout the lag.
    Still hope I made a few people laugh today b:laugh
  • Pemarkre - Harshlands
    Pemarkre - Harshlands Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    You made me giggle, that's for sure :)

I agree about the catshops there, though. It's just a bit too much. I didn't have any lag on my computer, but it nearly killed my husband's laptop as he followed along behind me. It took him several minutes to catch up as we were just passing through at the time ^x^;

I like how the Catshops are set in the starter towns. There aren't too many, and they tend to be neatly arranged around the teleporter stations. Dropped neatly at the points, even, to use the landscape. In Etherblade they are arranged at nice intervals around the path for the South gate, blocking nothing and nobody. The only other place I've seen them cluster is on a weekend around the City of the Lost Pet Trainer. Since people cluster there too, you cant see a danged thing.

But it's nothing like Archosaur O.O

A little placement manners would go a long way. I'll leave it up to the imagination for how to achieve that; a polite message, perhaps? I'm sure there are multiple ways of approaching this without requiring a code rehaul to prohibit the stands.

Amid all that catmarket chaos in Archo, does anyone actually buy from them?

The most annoying I've ever been with a catshop was in one of the border towns, I set it up on a wall. It's possible to access the shop from the ground but apparently jumping on the wall was more appealing to most of the buyers XD Otherwise I tend to set it off to the side out of pathways.
    Take the moment in your hands, and dust off the parts that you wish weren't there. Hold onto and pursue the parts you enjoy, letting the drifting dust fade away on the wind, remembered and learned from, but no trouble to you now. ~ Myself, 4/4/09.

Call me Kemi, the lighthearted, optimistic cynic. ^x^

Harshlands |*| Lareish (Enraged Wz - Main) |*| Lalarei (Clc) |*| Pemarkre (Vm)
  • Tearvalerin - Sanctuary
    Tearvalerin - Sanctuary Posts: 3,787 Arc User
    edited April 2009

Dont feed that troll warren, her ideas, dumb as usual.... less catshops = higher TT/gear prices. Higher TT mat prices/good gear = less people with TT/ good gear. less TT/good geared people = more crappy geared people = lousy party mates in FBs.
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    No, it will just make everyone use the auction house more most likely.

Auction house costs money. There's a 500-3000 listing fee, and it takes 5% off the final selling price. WarrenWolfy is right - an idea like this would make the rich richer. My cat shop is profitable enough that I could easily afford to pay fees that would make 99% of players livid enough to quit.

It would also increase prices, making it harder for everyone to afford stuff. The AH fees would increase prices. The cat shop fees I would just pass along to my customers. And the folks who used to set up a cat shop but are discouraged by the fees would sell their stuff to cat shops like mine or to NPCs instead. If they sell to me, well then I would have control over more of the market and be able to raise prices (well, I personally wouldn't, but I know plenty of people who would and ultimately I'm also subject to their pressures on the market price). If they sold to NPCs it would decrease supply while demand remained the same, resulting in higher prices.

I'll say it again Zoe: Your intentions, while noble, are misguided and would have the opposite effect from what you intend. IMHO the best thing to lower prices would be to improve the search features on the AH, and to implement a lookup service where you can see the last ~100 buy/sell prices for a specific item across all cat shops (kinda like how the gold sales are set up). That would let everyone immediately see what the market price for an item is, instead of having to guess.