wizard phails?

Options
gohanbuu
gohanbuu Posts: 2 Arc User
edited April 2009 in Wizard
im currently a lvl 19 wiz doing spirit cultivation quest and i swear it is impossible to solo they just bite away half my hp, i cannot take more than 1 mob it takes too long to kill mobs b/c i kite them and i never get party even if i do is from pity which i rather not, so when will this change?
Post edited by gohanbuu on

Comments

• Mizuoni - Dreamweaver
    Mizuoni - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,533 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    i solo'd this one easily....
    then again i got the fairy on my first try
    you start seeing nice results around lvl 30 and as you lvl you see it gets easier. Are you using earth barrier and is your armor up to date? Also are you pure or LA...
    Sins are Scissors. Psychics are Rocks.
    Archers, Venos, Barbs, Wizards, BMs, Mystics, Seekers are Paper.
    ...and Clerics are Mushrooms.
    Paper beats Rock. Scissors beats Paper. Scissors also happens to beat Rock...until Rock gets 50k+ soulforce at which point Rock becomes an unstoppable killing machine that beats Paper... and would beat Scissors but it can't find Scissors, because Scissors are invisible.
    So Scissors beat Paper and avoids Rock, and that is called BALANCE. -cheze
  • Coldflash - Dreamweaver
    Coldflash - Dreamweaver Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Honestly if you are having trouble now you might consider rolling a different class. I had absolutly no issue soloing any non-boss quest...ever. The only times I have died was when I did something really stupid, mostly in FBs. But as Mizuoni asked, is your armor up to date, are you using earth barrier, have you been upgrading your skills as much as possible (gush, pyrogram, and earth barrier especially), do you use hp pots? Do you have an HP charm (if not i suggest you get at least a bronze one)

Really getting hit pre-29 is almost a fact of life simply because you don't have distance shrink or will of the phoenix, and your gush's chance to slow the enemy is still fairly low. If you manage to make it to 29 your life gets slightly easier as you can learn distance shrink so you can kite enemies a little more. At 39 if you play your cards right physical mobs won't hit you much if at all, and magic mobs don't hurt much (if pure mag, light armor isn't terribly painful either)

Another thing to take a look at is what order you are using your skills. If you don't use gush first, you are wrong. You may not think that the slow hits often enough, or that it won't effect it enough to matter, well you are wrong. Gush is your staple opener, then pyrogram, then gush, then pyro etc etc. Stone rain is an alright move, but the channeling time is atrocious in most cases, though if the mob you are fighting is sacrificial assault, or weak, or water element, then use it, it is your msot powerful move before sandstorm at 39.
  • lasttemplar
    lasttemplar Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    gohanbuu wrote: »
    im currently a lvl 19 wiz doing spirit cultivation quest and i swear it is impossible to solo they just bite away half my hp, i cannot take more than 1 mob it takes too long to kill mobs b/c i kite them and i never get party even if i do is from pity which i rather not, so when will this change?

Make sure youre using the best weapon available. Also, I dont see how only being able to take one mob at a time makes the quest so impossible. Its not like other classes are that better fighting multiple mobs (At least, not at lvl 19)

If you mean to say youre only able to kill one mob and then have to meditate, just use pots. Its not extremely expensive and you only have to do it until level 24

And, to be blunt, if its really that impossible to solo them just swallow your pride and party with people, accept help from others. Maybe they arent offering to help you out of pity, maybe they just want to....I dunno. Help, perhaps?
  • Mizuoni - Dreamweaver
    Mizuoni - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,533 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    if you are on dreamweaver i can assist you. It may also help if you have a higher lvl wiz who has been where you are to show you. I learned how to use all the lvl 39 moves from doing a fb with a lvl 60 wiz.
    Sins are Scissors. Psychics are Rocks.
    Archers, Venos, Barbs, Wizards, BMs, Mystics, Seekers are Paper.
    ...and Clerics are Mushrooms.
    Paper beats Rock. Scissors beats Paper. Scissors also happens to beat Rock...until Rock gets 50k+ soulforce at which point Rock becomes an unstoppable killing machine that beats Paper... and would beat Scissors but it can't find Scissors, because Scissors are invisible.
    So Scissors beat Paper and avoids Rock, and that is called BALANCE. -cheze
  • Whiteleo - Lost City
    Whiteleo - Lost City Posts: 285 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options

hi,
    i also have the same problems at your lvl.
    at first i read forum and make my char pure mage,
    but i died a lot and then i put some vit (not so much).
    u can restart your point at high lvl.
    now my vit 25, all others to mag except require strength.
    then i don't die that much and can take some damage.
    but when i hit lvl 40+ i'm started to happy with my mage.
    after i get phoenix i can't get hit by mob. distance shrink and gush , phoenix , gush etc.
    before u start to hit a mob , first see their elementel,
    if fire elemental cast gush(water), your fire shield on
    if water ,cast stone rain(earth). your mana shield on etc.
    if metal , cast fire
    if wood , cast metal
    if earth weak on wood(we don't have wood spell)

upgrade your gush, poly, stonebarr to max
    that's my exp and hope help
    i don't know much as i just started to learn also.
    thank
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Rule - Heavens Tear
    Rule - Heavens Tear Posts: 579 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Another thing to take a look at is what order you are using your skills. If you don't use gush first, you are wrong. You may not think that the slow hits often enough, or that it won't effect it enough to matter, well you are wrong. Gush is your staple opener, then pyrogram, then gush, then pyro etc etc. Stone rain is an alright move, but the channeling time is atrocious in most cases, though if the mob you are fighting is sacrificial assault, or weak, or water element, then use it, it is your msot powerful move before sandstorm at 39.

Opening sequence should be SR>G>P>G>P>G>P unless you are fighting an earth mob.

The casting time of SR doesn't matter until it hits, then you'll lose 2 seconds of time when the mob is not slowed. The dmg from SR is usually worthwhile.

Its a good opening move, not so good after the first shot.

You can replace the pyro with KITE if its a fire mob. Otherwise, not much changes.
  • gmahler6
    gmahler6 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    After playing archer, barb, BM, I decided to try a magic class. So I lvled a cleric to 26 followed soon by a lvl 26 wizard.

I wanted to see which of the two I liked so I wanted to have them at similar lvls and weapons and stuff.

For both characters this is how it went:

LVL 1-10:

Piece of cake, 2 spells took most down for both classes.

LVL 10-20:

Tough....for both. I remember on my wiz i made 35% before I got the bleeping cultivation sprite. And my killing was like this on those wolves: gush, run, gush, run, gush run, gush.....35%....

Once I got the trail weapon from FB 19, things were a little better but not much.

LVL 20-30:

Things got a bit easier here. Most things died in 3 shots. The bleeping Werewolf Spearmen were the hardest to get from memory, was very tough. Archers were stinking annoying here 2....those were a definate kite.

LVL 31-40:

By this time my decision was made. I would go with a wizard. A few reasons: more spells, dmg boost on 3 mobs instead of just wood (cleric uses metal), 3 different ultimate aoe's, will of the pheonix...basically I liked the idea of having a barrage of spells at my disposal instead of just 3...plume, tornado, and thunder.

As far as the quests and stuff, things at this point got very easy. Archers still gave a small fit (usually took 1 hit) but melee's were easy.

LVL 41-50:

Nothing to it. Force of will was a good upgrade here; gave another option on magic and archer mobs. By this time basic 3 spells were getting maxed and the distance was sweet. Almost all things died before even hitting me once. Glacier snare I liked a lot too.

LVL 51-60:

A breeze. At lvl 54-59 I grinded on Terestrial Foxwings near Misfortune: I would use: Glacial Snare - Gush - Pitfall (after about lvl 57 replaced with Crown of Flame to save mana) - Gush

With that combo I could kill these guys without them hitting me if the snare's slow hit. So about 70% of the time they didn't. Was nice. Quests were easy 2. At 60, I picked up my ancient arbor with 2 beautiful's and +4....my magic dmg jumped from about 2400-2500 to 3100-3600.....

With that I now use the same combo above on lvl 60 Foxwing Supreme's with the same result.

Sutra is the bomb...period. 4 spells in 6 seconds...plus 10% mana back...crazy

The 3 nukes are ok. I can take out a big mob of lvl 39-40's with 1 hit. but they are mostly just for show to me now lol.

Currently I am lvl 61 full magic mage and am loving how easy it is and my sick criticals (13k is highest so far with a sandstorm). BTW on this character. I have only died about 4 times. In fact, most things only have a chance to hit me once (if at all) before they bite the dust. Most things hit me about 300 dmg magic or physical I have 1600 life...1 hit is nothing.

So I guess u can take this as a sign that it gets better man just keep playing and learn how to kite for the early lvls.

Tyrodus
  • Calibix - Heavens Tear
    Calibix - Heavens Tear Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options

The biggest mistake I see other wizards make is their choice of spells. Granted, you aren't really high enough level to feel what I'm talking about, but when I see people start with a spell besides glacial snare, part of me dies inside. Though a little contradictory, glacial isn't really worth using until lvl 5 or more, the snare effects more than make up for the lack of range.

Snare effects are wizard bread and butter skills. At your level though, start with sandstorm, then gush. Gush every other skill after that no matter the element. When I do fishing parties (80+), even though they are water mobs, I always start with Glacial Snare (provided cooldown is up) because it more or less gaurantees that the mob is going to be dead before its in range to hit me (Undine Mystics are dead with a GS>SS>SR combo, add pitfall in the rare case they aren't).