Grinding a cleric

Sorbik - Lost City
Sorbik - Lost City Posts: 202 Arc User
edited April 2009 in Cleric
We all know that zhen/aoe and grind parties are fast ways to level. Undines, fish, airzhens, spiders, wolves, etc. But when youre in RageQuit it's not always possible to get a hold of these primal levelling spots. I introduce to you solo poison grinding.

(Note in these screenshots I have someone else with me, but it is not required by any means)

I am also pure int, with minimal +hp gear. I'm in grinding mode (=
I also do not have a HP charm equipped, so really, this is very viable and possible to pull off.

This can be done with any poison mobs. Orchid petalis, malicious cadevils, spiders, etc. Get your purify to at least level 6. Fly around and aggro the poison mobs. Every 5-6 seconds cast an ironheart on yourself in order to maintain aggro.

Once you've got a sizeable amount find a land artifact which you can use to funnel these mobs through.

Rising a bit helps to group them, dont rise too far or you'll lose aggro.

http://i42.tinypic.com/2dv54jn.jpg

Once they are nicely stacked you can drop, iron heart yourself. Wait for them ALL to stack their poisons, then purify quickly. The key is to get this purify in before the poison ticks.

http://i41.tinypic.com/birlnk.jpg

Subsequently, cast a tempest to weaken them. Now, purify yourself again, and heal. Keep healing until purify cools down, then razor feathers, purify and heal. Always purify before and after attacks, and heal in between. Keep repeating until they are all dead.

(Heal, Purify, Attack, Purify, Heal) repeat

At level 81, on exp scroll i get about .2-.3% per pull. A pull takes rougly 5 minutes. Thats about 5% (on average) exp per hour. Not bad for solo grinding.
Post edited by Sorbik - Lost City on

Comments

• Arzalea - Sanctuary
    Arzalea - Sanctuary Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Wow, thanks for sharing this.

Is this a valid method for a light armor cleric? How much more difficult will it be?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=3656411
  • Forp - Heavens Tear
    Forp - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,445 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    impossible to do while wearing light armor; and this isn't a new method. you're not introducing it.
  • Mothergoose - Sanctuary
    Mothergoose - Sanctuary Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Wow, that is hardcore. That health bar looks dangerously low.b:pleased
    Your skill and guts are impressive, but the less skilled of us might end up dying and losing exp.

I'd imagine it'd be more dangerous with LA, as they have less wood resist, health, attack, and even heal. Imagine a LA cleric in Sorbik's place in that screenshot, would it still have the little bit of life left?
  • Sorbik - Lost City
    edited March 2009
    This is very viable as LA. Stack wood resistance on cape and gears. Put crappy wood resistance gems in gears that have 2/3 resistances. Or just pimp out your normal gear and you should have about 3.5k hp with LA at level 81.

I have arcane with 2.5k hp, i am pure int atm. Strictly to grind, my gears suck. I am saving my money and shards for my HH90 arcane set when i go full vit. I will have nearly 6.5k hp unbuffed.
  • Forp - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2009
    that's funny sorbik. pandora got pissy at me for doing the exact same thing.
  • Sorbik - Lost City
    edited March 2009
    hmm Ok cool.
  • Keyne - Heavens Tear
    Keyne - Heavens Tear Posts: 202 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Thats pretty kool Sorbik. I know the consept isnt new, but I am sure many of us appreciate the info. Thanks!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Holystic - Sanctuary
    Holystic - Sanctuary Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    thx for sharing, when I hit 81 I will give it a go b:pleased
  • Lepios - Lost City
    Lepios - Lost City Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Ok. This may sound like a dumb question, but is it possible to do any of this (aoe grinding) prior to reaching 78+? Assume I have the necessary levels attributed toward purify & razor feathers (include the fact that I do not yet have tempest @ level 50), decent gear, and am not an eff-tard @ playing a cleric. Can this be done with other mobs in the 50-70 range? Or is the expense/difficulty not worth the exp. return? Any advice is appreciated. I am full int. Thanks in advance ~
  • Keyne - Heavens Tear
    Keyne - Heavens Tear Posts: 202 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Pretty much you can do this with any poison mobs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    That looks more like farming instead of grinding.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • Corwin - Harshlands
    Corwin - Harshlands Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    i do this at lvl 24 as soon as i got razor feathers with 5-6 poison monsters 3 lvls below me but as to weather or not it is better than grinding the regular way is doubtful. I think you would need more than one aoe skill to be beneficial because of the cool down/cast time of razor feathers. It is cool to be able to see yourself taking on that many at once, but the risk vs reward, at my lvl anyway, is not worth it
  • Sorbik - Lost City
    edited April 2009
    yes, at levle 59 you get tempest. It's metal and does extra damage to wood mobs. A tempest and razor feathers will usually take out all weak/sacrificial mobs. Then 3 more razor feathers will take care of the rest.

Dont do this before 59 :)
  • Shano - Lost City
    Shano - Lost City Posts: 289 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    ^^ quick reminder.. there aren't many wood mobs at lv 6x
  • FinalEcstasy - Heavens Tear
    FinalEcstasy - Heavens Tear Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    what level of tempest that you have when you grinding on those 80+ mob?i'm thinking of upgrade my tempest after maxing my wield thunder,but i'm not sure if it's worth the price tag b:sad
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ♥=Signature by Semyezza=♥
  • Forp - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2009
    ^^ quick reminder.. there aren't many wood mobs at lv 6x

the 6x version of the orchid petal are ideal grinding for clerics. and there's a LOT of them. i can pull at least 30 of those things.
  • Voices - Lost City
    Voices - Lost City Posts: 199 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Dont do this before 59 :)

Yeah, but I saw some 40 cleric destroying the air poison mobs above sumor camp...

Mind you, I don't even have tempest, and I've succeeded in doing it a few times. It's possible. b:thanks
  • Kiwi - Harshlands
    Kiwi - Harshlands Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    another good spot at 7x is the orchid petali's

trumble, 1 man army (at 71) and miji makes for good exp

http://i42.tinypic.com/1gooet.jpg

after that lure my trumble was 18/70, hate aoeing with lag tho b:angry
  • Sorbik - Lost City
    edited April 2009
    yes, orchid petalis are amazing

as well as gluttons, and the 97 spiders by frozen river.
  • Featal - Heavens Tear
    Featal - Heavens Tear Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    For those of you who can not do this method efficiently.. find yourself a BM.. latch to him/her.. fly above his/her head and IH Spam them as they AoE the mobs.
  • samasalao
    samasalao Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    I did aoe grind on petallis, then on cadaevils and right now I am AOE grinding on gluttons, level 87 mob. A few things.

Keep an eye on your chi bar, if you have no chi you cant purify and you will die for sure.

Dont try to AOE grind without mp charm, the mp cost is high and running out of mp is suicide.

Circle the mobs, this helps to pack them.

If you are LA change to robes before trying this.

Try to use gear with decent wood resistances.

If you have gathered many, purify right after casting a nuke and right before launching it again.

Even after gathering 19 mobs your hp charm should not tick at all, if it ticks is because you made a mistake or your wood res is not good enough, try fewer mobs next time.

Have fun AOE grinding. b:laugh
  • Blessing - Heavens Tear
    Blessing - Heavens Tear Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    For those of you who can not do this method efficiently.. find yourself a BM.. latch to him/her.. fly above his/her head and IH Spam them as they AoE the mobs.

Better method that I'll share since I won't be using anymore since I've reached my goal.

~Find a BM and tell him/her to get 2 sparks with alter marrow spam while you lure 20-30 poison mobs.
    ~After the mobs are grouped up, you purify->ironheart->purify yourself.
    ~Right when you cast ironheart, the BM is suppose to aoe stun all the poison mobs and immediately cast Heaven's Flame.
    ~After your 2nd purify, you are suppose to cast tempest. If done correctly, your tempest lands 1 seconds after Heaven's Flame hits.

If you are super greedy with exp, you can unparty the the BM and get 90% of the total exp because your tempest does 90% of the damage.

This will one-shot all the poison mobs. How I went from 90-100 with BM's help. With this method, your HP charm should never tick at all even when pulling 30+ poison mobs.

If you are super greedy with exp, you can unparty the BM for 90% of the total exp. Your tempest does 90% of the damage after the heaven's flame debuff is applied.
  • beakbeak
    beakbeak Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    wow that's pretty hardcore grinding style, i'm a mid lvl cleric (60s) and i don't think about aoe grinding strategies much but these sound pretty cool. might try later...
  • Newyn - Heavens Tear
    Newyn - Heavens Tear Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, but I saw some 40 cleric destroying the air poison mobs above sumor camp...
    at lvl 45 Native vipions(41) gives more XP then the lvl 45 mobs on the ground.

To bad i dont have RF, Well its coming after cyclone is maxed.
    To Lazy to make 1. b:infuriated
  • xxxdsmer
    xxxdsmer Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    would it be possible for a lower to mid 4x to start RF, IB, purify grinding?

are there any good ground mobs for doing so?

and i think lv5 of purify comes at lv44 so i may wait till then if deemed that it may be worthwhile to aoe grind wood poison's in the 40's.

and what mob, and where are they, that would be good for someone in their mid to lower 40's to start doing this on?
    i'm pro all classes, and against none in particular..
    but the age old QQ about venos is just that. OLD.
    QQ'd about a nix lately? check out this thread n tell me who's "OP" lol..
    (copy and paste this to address bar):
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=102172
  • Seraph - Dreamweaver
    Seraph - Dreamweaver Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    There are the flowers between Sumor and Swiftwind, but they're mixed in with other mobs so not a great option. If you need to grind in your 40's, get a scroll and do it one on one with the native vipions. They give more xp than the lvl 45 flowers as Newyn said, plus the area they occupy is HUGE! There's pretty much an unending supply in the air over Swiftwind all the way to Sumor. It's not hard at all to just kill one at a time in a neverending chain until your scroll runs out, and essentially no threat of death. When those no longer do it for you, move to the vipions over Town of Arrivals. Save AOE grinding until you get lvl 60 and then the Petali Hexkisses will be your desired prey. They are just a pain to position at times because they like to fan out. lol