Best pets for tanking/holding mob aggro

Valdea - Dreamweaver
Valdea - Dreamweaver Posts: 223 Arc User
edited March 2009 in Venomancer
I haven't had too much trouble with this, but I want to hear other veno's opinions on this matter. But what is a really good pet for either tanking (I know golems are good for this, I'm hoping to hear other options though) and/or holding agro in fbs. My snow hare does okay until I start healing it, then it can't seem to get the aggro back. So I want to know what you all have to thing. Thank you b:thanks
Also, please try to stay away from recommending legendary pets (like hercules and phoenix) because obviously cash shop pets are going to be better than any a normal veno could tame.
Post edited by Valdea - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Kristiona - Heavens Tear
    Kristiona - Heavens Tear Posts: 216 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Herc is a great tank once you add bash and remove pounce.

kristiona
  • Valdea - Dreamweaver
    edited March 2009
    I should have added....no legendary pets. I don't have $200 to shell out for battle pet packs, and it's too much coin. I'm going to add that to the first post.
  • mentallaxative
    mentallaxative Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Shaodu cub and frog spring to mind. Guardian wolves and overclocked mechrabs aren't quite as good but decent too.
  • Seilis - Lost City
    Seilis - Lost City Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Is actually true. Shadou cubs are great tanks. At lvl 54 my shadou can tank 3 lvl 60+ mobs :o
    Also hercs have bramble skills so u can aoe mobs and attack without getting aggro.
  • Daerys - Sanctuary
    Daerys - Sanctuary Posts: 1,022 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    You say you don't have $200 to spend on a herc and I sympathize. I didn't either, but recently got one anyway using all in-game coin. Not nearly as hard as one may think. You will be very please that you took the time and effort to acquire it, tanking has become a joke for most bosses. There are a few that just can't be done, but to give you an idea of it's strength I solo'd fb79 with great ease at 77. Even got a mold out of it =D

Keep your golem leveled in the meantime. Some other pets may do the job just fine, but none quite as good in my experience.
  • Mothergoose - Sanctuary
    Mothergoose - Sanctuary Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    You say you don't have $200 to spend on a herc and I sympathize. I didn't either, but recently got one anyway using all in-game coin. Not nearly as hard as one may think. You will be very please that you took the time and effort to acquire it, tanking has become a joke for most bosses. There are a few that just can't be done, but to give you an idea of it's strength I solo'd fb79 with great ease at 77. Even got a mold out of it =D

Keep your golem leveled in the meantime. Some other pets may do the job just fine, but none quite as good in my experience.

20 mil is a lot of coins for lvl 40.b:chuckle

And yeah, things like shado cubs do fine, but frankly, no better, if not worse than the obligatory golem, which cost next to nothing. Upgrade bash if it starts to lose aggro.
  • Valdea - Dreamweaver
    edited March 2009
    What are your opinions on an Overclocked Mechacrab to replace my golem. The golems really annoy me because they are so freaking slow. The crab has 7.3 mps and seems to have similar physical defense stats, as well as some decent skills.
  • Mothergoose - Sanctuary
    Mothergoose - Sanctuary Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    What are your opinions on an Overclocked Mechacrab to replace my golem. The golems really annoy me because they are so freaking slow. The crab has 7.3 mps and seems to have similar physical defense stats, as well as some decent skills.

Comparing the growth charts, the crab seems like a mediocre choice. It should be good enough if the golem annoys you though.
    http://snowbloom.110mb.com/pl3.htm#crab
    http://snowbloom.110mb.com/pl2.htm#golem

See how golem is skewed toward attack, p.def, hp, and regeneration.
  • Kristiona - Heavens Tear
    Kristiona - Heavens Tear Posts: 216 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I had and still have the crab I use it for luring now that i have herc. Before I got the herc though my husbands cleric and I used crab to tank in a solo TT1-1 though. I believe the crab is a good alternate if you can't afford herc and don't like the magmite.

kristiona
  • Daerys - Sanctuary
    Daerys - Sanctuary Posts: 1,022 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    20 mil is a lot of coins for lvl 40.b:chuckle

And yeah, things like shado cubs do fine, but frankly, no better, if not worse than the obligatory golem, which cost next to nothing. Upgrade bash if it starts to lose aggro.

Oh I agree it's a ton for a 40, but it's not so bad after about 60 or so, and there really isn't any need for one before then. Sure you could solo your own fb's, but that takes forever and there is no shortage of squads ready to blow through them for you. Herc isn't the best grinding pet, either. Maybe I just haven't figured out the best way yet, but seems a lot slower so far.
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Cub is better (much better actually) against a mix of physical and magic mobs. Specifically, bosses which occasionally or always use magic, and when you get groups of mobs with physical melee but magic ranged attacks.

The golem's forte is its high attack (obviously) but also its slow attack speed. Regular attacks for most pets are scaled with attack speed, so a slower pet like golem doesn't swing as often (.6 attacks/sec), but hits harder. A faster pet like the Kowlin swings more often (.8 attacks/sec), but doesn't hit as hard.

However, the attack skills like Bash, Flesh Ream, etc are on a fixed timer. So all pets will Bash every 8 sec regardless of their inherent attack speed. A slow but heavy-hitting pet like the golem means you get significantly more damage every 8 sec from Bash.