Give us mages a chance :(

Malena_Vazin - Lost City
Malena_Vazin - Lost City Posts: 50 Arc User
edited March 2009 in Suggestion Box
Ok i am a Mage and i have thought to my self many times, i would die less if I could use my range advantage effectivly by standing on that boulder.....but no the Mob just stands there and autoheals instantly.

It sucks being a solo mage, I just manage to kill and enemy and have to regen for a few min just to barly survive the next enemy I encounter. Better yet instead of the element shilds give us something like mana shield, which converts half the damage to MP loss.

The last idea is a buff that restored HP everytime you cast a spell at a % of the spell cost, say like 25% this is just a small make up for the kind of damage a mage takes for channeling or being interupted.
Post edited by Malena_Vazin - Lost City on

Comments

• Wise_one - Lost City
    Wise_one - Lost City Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I agree, I had To grind to lvl 18 cause i died too often.
  • Sylvini - Heavens Tear
    Sylvini - Heavens Tear Posts: 259 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I agree that mages need to be improved significantly. Statistically, you guys have barely any more damage potential than a good cleric, and you don't even get physical spells, or all the healing/buffing spells. Plus, I hear all your channeling times are long. IMO, the wizard should get a slew of debuffs and/or significantly more dmg. A drain life and/or drain life to mana (does damage to enemy, and restores MP according to damage) would also be cool.
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    Zoe - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,814 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I find it funny that everyone complains about their mage characters all the time. My friend has one and its leveling really fast, he brags about how he almost never gets hit and does really high damage. It sounds more like...dare I say it....the rest of you don't know how to play wizards well.
    Main characters
    Celestial Sage Venomancer Zoe - 100
    Sage Barbarian Malego - 91
  • Mysticlifex - Heavens Tear
    Mysticlifex - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    yep It's true and I know it, I know wizards that glide throught the game.

You just have to know how to play your character wizards rock, all classes rock if you know how to play em
    We're MysticAve my name is not Dave
    (Poem in the making - Shall be epic)
  • AndromedaB - Sanctuary
    AndromedaB - Sanctuary Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    wiz sucks ballz for pk and cant take on more than 1 mob in pve (without using pots)
    i know my biuld pretty damed well
    LA wiz is ok in pk but still die pretty fast...
    frankly i dont really see the point of a pure mage right now...
    the dmg diff is like 1%
  • Maruja - Heavens Tear
    Maruja - Heavens Tear Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I have been playing a couple deferent classes and would like to give some insite. I currently have a lvl 77 wizard, a lvl 55 veno and a level 29 archer. It is true, if you learn your class well it is not that hard to level. However, It took me 3 months to get my wizard to level 60 and only 3 weeks to get my veno to level 55. The fact of the matter is - wizards are not good until demon/sage. After that they are extremely powerful, maybe the most powerful class. The difficulty is that wizards have limited buffs and depend on skills like freeze (force of will) and distance shrink to evade. These are all skills that are great to have and important to wizards, but the skills are not powerful enough to make the class competetive until much later in the game. My reasoning behind this is that Blade masters archers and barbs get an aoe freeze and a stun that is more effective and longer lasting than the wizards. Archers have a double advantage over wizards: more damage and more range (not to mentio they can fly at level 1 and run faster). Also, Venos with full magic actually do just as much if not more damage than wizards in the first half of the game. Venos also get a set of skills that alows complete recovery of hp/mp every 5 min if you play your cards right! venos also get fox form to buff p def and the have a pet and very good close range aeo magic. Not to mention a pet to take all your damage...... I can aoe grind with my pet as a full magic veno taking on 4-5 mobs at a time with my shoudo cub and tank most bosses. I aslo cleared half my fb 19 by myself before my squad got there! This is something that is not ever possible for wizards because of there lack of physical protection and inability to heal fast enough without using sutra. Your best bet as a wizard is to kill it before it can even get close - For example:

if the mob is weak to a certain element like fire - Start out with divine pyrogram, then pyrogram, knock back with will of pheonix then pyrogram again. If mob is not dead or get close again use your force of will and send it running, then kill it of.

Give up now on purposefully taking on multiple mobs until you are much much more powerful - or you are a good bit higher lvl than the mobs.

For larger and more difficult mobs with lots of hp, I use a different approach. Start out with Glacial Snare followed by gush to slow them down significantly. Then DD the **** out of them until they get to close, then us pheonix or force of will to send them away followed by another spell to drain there hp. Repeat process until mob is dead. If you mess up or the mob gets to close dont be afraid to use distance shrink to get a little more casting space. Remember - distance is a wizards best friend - If you just wanna **** stuff get a BM - wich is an equally difficult class but rewarding later on.

I hope that this info was helpful. If your a frusterated noob, just think of the long run. After level 79 - 89 you get a second stun (sleep spell) a host of channeling adds and magic power adds on your spells that will make your wizard a quick and super powerful death machine. You will pushing phoenixs and 1 or 2 hitting there veno masters. Another suggestion is that you start a veno character and use it to suppliment you financially and help you do TT and frost runs later on. I have lots of fun with both characters.

If I were to make one suggestion to add to the wizard it would be a set of 3skills similar to the rediculously overbalanced venomancer (lol - venos are easy street) : Metabolic Boost, Soul Transfusion, and Natures Grace. These skills allow you to imediatly recover 50% of you hp or mp and soul transfusion allows you to swap hp/mp. This would alow the wizard to get out of any sticky situation and grind for a lot longer. In my opinion THERE IS NO NEED TO SIT AROUND AND PICK YOUR NOSE WHILE YOU WAIT TO REGEN MP - THE WIZARDS ONLY WAY TO FIGHT - WHILE YOU WATCH SOME VENO OR AOE GRIND SQUAD TAKE OVER YOUR TURF......... BORING..... NOT FAIR......... This is the biggest unbalance/oversight. Other than this wizards are cool as hell!!!!!!!!!
  • lightrace
    lightrace Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I'm stillat a low level so I didn't encounter all these issues just yet but I know what's coming and I agree.
  • EvilMarlon - Sanctuary
    EvilMarlon - Sanctuary Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    you forgot when the game freezes and then your wiz is dead
    just goooooooooo with the flooooooooowb:victory
  • AndromedaB - Sanctuary
    AndromedaB - Sanctuary Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    79 spells cost a book, 1mil xp, 1 mil coin

overall costs around 2-4mil each...
    so ppl really dont get it until after lv 85
  • Tawarwaith - Sanctuary
    Tawarwaith - Sanctuary Posts: 391 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    My reasoning behind this is that Blade masters archers and barbs get an aoe freeze and a stun that is more effective and longer lasting than the wizards.

Your best bet as a wizard is to kill it before it can even get close - For example:

THERE IS NO NEED TO SIT AROUND AND PICK YOUR NOSE WHILE YOU WAIT TO REGEN MP - THE WIZARDS ONLY WAY TO FIGHT - WHILE YOU WATCH SOME VENO OR AOE GRIND SQUAD TAKE OVER YOUR TURF......... BORING..... NOT FAIR......... This is the biggest unbalance/oversight. Other than this wizards are cool as hell!!!!!!!!!

Just a little comment on these 3 quotes:

When does a barb get an aoe freeze? On the stun, well I don't know when I have enough SP to get that up. I need all of them to get my tiger/tanking skills maxed.

There, you give the solution yourself: kite. If I remember correctly, one of your first spell has a chance to slow. If you don't like to kite, like me, take a melee class, or get to light armor + earth shield.

You know a lot of classes like to purposely ks on barbs; we get easy aggro, so any class can out damage us and take the kill without taking damage.

To resume, I would say: All classes have their difficulties, even venos. Sure, as a barb I don't die as easily as a mage, but do you have any idea of the time it takes to kill a mob, the repairs we have, etc? You guys play the wizzard class, and some of you got to a really high lvl. Don't tell me a wizzie is **** and a pain to play. Something must have prevented you from changing to the all powerfull veno. And to be honest I'm glad there are still mages around, because mage + barb works really great b:victory
  • Sylvini - Heavens Tear
    Sylvini - Heavens Tear Posts: 259 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I just have one question: What on earth did you do to let your Veno outdamage your Wiz, even at low lvls? Veno damage is mediocre at best (well, better than Barb and probably BM, but..).