West District Etiquette Guide

Fubatsu - Heavens Tear
Fubatsu - Heavens Tear Posts: 37 Arc User
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Those of us who've gotten to Archosaur have encountered the lag-ridden hellhole that is Archosur's West District. So, to make the experience just a tiny bit less hellacious, I think we should observe a few simple guidelines:

1) No Dueling, take it elsewhere
2) Get off your mounts when you're not using them. Winged Elves should likewise land.
3) Put your pets away. Show them off elsewhere.
4) If I'm forgetting something else flashy, laggy or graphically intensive, don't do that either.

I'm not gonna tell you not to set up a consignment shop there, but really, it is a bit stupid, with all the competition around. Anyway, even if we can do this much, we can have a much less painful experience in West District.
Post edited by Fubatsu - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Pressa - Heavens Tear
    Pressa - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,287 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    *nom nom nom* b:shocked I'm on oh man oh man so not ready b:sad

b:thanks Okay I am sorry about your computer not being able to handle it but my computer has no trouble with it and only receive minor lag at max graphics.

1) Dueling is okay although not sure why you would duel where you couldn't see your opponent maybe you like hiding in the cat shops.

2) Mounts are needed if you are only going to be at the shop for a few second to a minute.

3)Pets are used for dueling and for being ready where ever you are and if they want to have their pets out then let them unless they have the x-mas blessing their pet is going to starve.

4)Try nerfing your setttings it will help.b:victory

Better Etiquette would be not standing directly on the npc or not putting a cat shop on the npc or basicly keeping the npcs clear.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Fubatsu - Heavens Tear
    Fubatsu - Heavens Tear Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I've noticed that I'm far from the only one to suffer lag and frustration in West District, but I completely agree with your etiquette points about giving the NPCs some space.
  • Pressa - Heavens Tear
    Pressa - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,287 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    No your right other people suffer from it too but those people aren't doing these things just people like myself with faster computers. Seriously even with this its probably not going to happen even if the GMs announced it people would continue to do this. b:surrender can't be helped don't like it try walking it cuts out most of the lag.

BTW if you get a server error with this try changing the resolution of the game to something else and then back. I find its faster then restarting the client and works 90% of the time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Defected - Heavens Tear
    Defected - Heavens Tear Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I love sitting afk on top of the banker on my mount.

I love dueling in the town crossroads, making sure to have clerics buff me first before I use all my graphically cool spells.

2 words... swiftshadow...auctioneer.

No etiquette. Take it elsewhere.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Changed my mind. Permanently Retired - Only here to troll.
  • Kimyrielle - Heavens Tear
    Kimyrielle - Heavens Tear Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Well, as Defected pointed out so eloquently, any attempts at solving the issue with a Gentlemen's Agreement will fail. The problem has to be solved technically, not socially.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Smexxyfox - Heavens Tear
    Smexxyfox - Heavens Tear Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Mount or no mount isnt going to make any diference to your lag. It's pretty funny how players make up arbitrary ideas of what causes lag and what doesnt.

Here is some facts, the mounts and cool spell effects and all the graphics are stored on YOUR LOCAL HARD DRIVE, they will NEVER cause you to lag in west arch(unless your pc sux and you always lag).
    What makes you lag is the fact that your computer needs to receicve all the other players info, now once again this isnt a case of receiving the actual graphical pictures of what they look like etc, it works with simple numbers. I'm not 100% sure exactly how its setup but you'd typically receive the following things from the server [x,y,z coord; class; visual custom id; ismounted = true/false ; if true, mount ID; and of course the id codes of their visible gear] now all this is a few bytes of data or less which in itself is harmless, but once you have 1000 ppl at the same location your going to get swamped with info and if your internet isnt super, it will croak and cause lag.

Sooo the solution to lag, set your distance slider to 1/2 way when u go into west arch and use the damn shift key! I get really annoyed at noobs complaining about mounts/pets covering the npc.s
  • King_Solomon - Heavens Tear
    King_Solomon - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,341 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    your PC causes the lag. deal with it or upgrade.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you're willing to join another online game do NOT join any hosted by K2 NETWORK. Want to know why? Check BBB complaints.
  • Tearvalerin - Sanctuary
    Tearvalerin - Sanctuary Posts: 3,787 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    talk about jack assery in the nth degree here... why be so rude to someone trying to solve a problem?

@ The person saying mounts dont lag - Ever sit on a swiftshadow, or a horse, and see all those effects they make? Those DO lag people with old graphics cards, and putting them all over the NPCs in one spot will fry people with older computers

@person saying pets dont lag; one word, phoenix, and noobs who keep them out... everywhere...

etiquette and social courtesy wouldnt kill anyone, nor do people have to flame worse than san fransisco to someone with a valid point :P.

Sorry some people cant afford to blow 2+ grand in latest gaming and computer equipment, maybe ever consider thats why were playing a free MMO?
  • Smexxyfox - Heavens Tear
    Smexxyfox - Heavens Tear Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Then obviousley some ppl need to tune down the graphics settings and not expect everyone else to dance around just for them? jeez!
    Just beacuse they are to lazy/stupid to change the settnings to make the game run smooth the rest of us need to go out of our way for them? Whats the point of having a good computer if you are not allowed to use it because you might offend someone?

Infact as soon as im high enough im going to tame one of those 200 foot ice golems just to annoy complainers in west arch.
    edited March 2009
    no ones telling you not to, its called being considerate of others.
    no one has a need to have a flying mount on the ground, thats ridiculous. no one needs to have a shop on top of an NPC. some people turn on lower settings and STILL lag in w archo.

so rather than be a jerk, just do everyone a favor and make W archo easier for everyone and not just yourself
  • Aerole - Heavens Tear
    Aerole - Heavens Tear Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    How about venos & barbs turn off your bird mounts especially at AH. Lag or not, they're just annoying.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Signature designed by Forsakenx <3
  • Lolas - Heavens Tear
    Lolas - Heavens Tear Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited March 2009

Sorry some people cant afford to blow 2+ grand in latest gaming and computer equipment, maybe ever consider thats why were playing a free MMO?

You are overstating the price of the system needed. My system cost me around 400$ to build. Thats with scavenging a few items from old system. But even if I would have bought those, the price would have been around 500$.

It had one of the fastest processors a the time I bought it, around a year ago. But everything else including video card is like 5 year old tech.

I use 1920 x 1200 resolution, with most setting on maximum. I have absolutely no graphics lag in arch.

I do try to recall pet, get off mount, etc. To help people out on ancient systems, or laptops. So this isn't a complaint about the etiquette guide. But it is a complaint on just making up numbers to try to prove your point.
  • Literature - Harshlands
    Literature - Harshlands Posts: 822 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Those of us who've gotten to Archosaur have encountered the lag-ridden hellhole that is Archosur's West District. So, to make the experience just a tiny bit less hellacious, I think we should observe a few simple guidelines:

1) No Dueling, take it elsewhere
    2) Get off your mounts when you're not using them. Winged Elves should likewise land.
    3) Put your pets away. Show them off elsewhere.
    4) If I'm forgetting something else flashy, laggy or graphically intensive, don't do that either.

I'm not gonna tell you not to set up a consignment shop there, but really, it is a bit stupid, with all the competition around. Anyway, even if we can do this much, we can have a much less painful experience in West District.

Lol why does everyone say archo west is laggy? ;o I get like 50-60 fps with everything turned up to the max at 1280 res 2xAA/4xAF. My computer isn't cutting edge either.

But a lot of people don't have these lag issues so they can duel, ride on mounts and all that stuff without dropping to 10 fps. LOL.

Catch up.
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    Saitada - Sanctuary Posts: 3,220 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    no ones telling you not to, its called being considerate of others.
    no one has a need to have a flying mount on the ground, thats ridiculous. no one needs to have a shop on top of an NPC. some people turn on lower settings and STILL lag in w archo.

so rather than be a jerk, just do everyone a favor and make W archo easier for everyone and not just yourself
    You should know by now that consideration for others is a vanishing social behavior in the world. I say make me world dictator so I can kill every last human being on the planet and become a GOD! b:dirty That will end all the lack of consideration for others in one fell nuke! *cackles madly to herself as she walks off to kill things*

~S
  • Amy_Nailo - Lost City
    Amy_Nailo - Lost City Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    You should know by now that consideration for others is a vanishing social behavior in the world. I say make me world dictator so I can kill every last human being on the planet and become a GOD! b:dirty That will end all the lack of consideration for others in one fell nuke! *cackles madly to herself as she walks off to kill things*

~S
    You, with any kind of power in real life, would be scary as hell.

I do agree that most people don't considerate others. Selfishness is more and more present and we can't help it.

Anyways, the computer I play with currently lags as hell in Archosaur, so I use the best performance button and it helps (but I prob still get ~10 fps). I don't care, I can live with it. But PLEASE, remove your mounts ath the auctionner / banker / any crowded NPCs.

Thanks

- Amy
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    edited March 2009
    My Employees fear meh! lol. Actually, they like me, I'm a pretty fair Boss as long as they do what I pay them for.

My customers on the other hand don't always like me. Especially when they are wrong and trying to blame me for their stupidity. I don't generally let them and don't hesitate to tell them to gtf outta my store and not come back.

~S
    edited March 2009

I do agree that most people don't considerate others. Selfishness is more and more present and we can't help it.

Anyways, the computer I play with currently lags as hell in Archosaur, so I use the best performance button and it helps (but I prob still get ~10 fps). I don't care, I can live with it. But PLEASE, remove your mounts ath the auctionner / banker / any crowded NPCs.

Thanks

- Amy

Thats ridiculous. b:shocked

Seriously, I could put you together a computer for $600 that would run this game flawlessly. So save up that lunch money and give me a pm. ;o
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    edited March 2009
    Thats ridiculous. b:shocked

Seriously, I could put you together a computer for $600 that would run this game flawlessly. So save up that lunch money and give me a pm. ;o
    I have to agree. I rebuilt my old system, everything new except the Hard Drives, for less than $550.00 and while it's not a super top end system... it's fast enough to play everything I've tasked it to w/o much if any graphical lag. Only time I get any real lag is when I have all three comps running pwi at the same time, and even then it's not graphical but connection limitations (I have the lap tops connection throttled down, and reduce both Desktop PC's connection when all three are up and online to reduce lag on the Blade).

~S
  • Aesthor - Heavens Tear
    Aesthor - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,845 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    My Employees fear meh! lol. Actually, they like me, I'm a pretty fair Boss as long as they do what I pay them for.

My customers on the other hand don't always like me. Especially when they are wrong and trying to blame me for their stupidity. I don't generally let them and don't hesitate to tell them to gtf outta my store and not come back.

~S

Whoohoo! You go kitty ^_~ I have this amusing image of a herc shoving customers out the door
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ಥ_ಥ MOAR.
    SkyKoC - How long is yours?
  • graylady1
    graylady1 Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I have a decent computer. I ususally don't lag in W. Arch except for one place...

If I get to Hou Jensi early enough in the morning, before people are online, I'm fine. If I get there too late, I lag so bad that I get repeated server errors and eventual disconnects. It seems to be the only place I get them. It doesn't seem to matter whether anyone is flying, or duelling, or selling things. It just seems to be the sheer number of characters trying to start their crazy stone at the same time.

The only thing I truly have trouble with is cats on sticks that park in front of the NPCs. I can hit shift to click, but sometimes I can't find the NPC to click on. Between high-lag animations and catshops, I simply have trouble moving my cursor to the NPC through the lag. If you can't SEE the NPC, you can't shiftclick on them.
  • Sigr - Heavens Tear
    Sigr - Heavens Tear Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    graylady1 wrote: »
    If you can't SEE the NPC, you can't shiftclick on them.

Yes, you can. Just mouse-over where they should be standing and a dialogue icon thingy will pop up.
    Lament of a Hybrid Veno: Where oh where did my spirit go? b:sad

I hate ranged mobs. b:angry

I <3 my cactopod. b:pleased
    edited March 2009
    graylady1 wrote: »
    I have a decent computer. I ususally don't lag in W. Arch except for one place...

If I get to Hou Jensi early enough in the morning, before people are online, I'm fine. If I get there too late, I lag so bad that I get repeated server errors and eventual disconnects. It seems to be the only place I get them. It doesn't seem to matter whether anyone is flying, or duelling, or selling things. It just seems to be the sheer number of characters trying to start their crazy stone at the same time.

The only thing I truly have trouble with is cats on sticks that park in front of the NPCs. I can hit shift to click, but sometimes I can't find the NPC to click on. Between high-lag animations and catshops, I simply have trouble moving my cursor to the NPC through the lag. If you can't SEE the NPC, you can't shiftclick on them.

If you are lagging to the point it's **** your mouse movement, your computer ain't so decent. :ppp
  • OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear
    OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    If you are lagging to the point it's **** your mouse movement, your computer ain't so decent. :ppp

Can you be a bit more intelligent and less stupid?

Decent doesn't mean a gaming monstrosity that can play the game on max settings and get 80 FPS while running FRAPS.

Decent means that it can handle the game most of the time with relatively few problems.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ratinax - Sanctuary
    Ratinax - Sanctuary Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I love sitting afk on top of the banker on my mount.

I love dueling in the town crossroads, making sure to have clerics buff me first before I use all my graphically cool spells.

2 words... swiftshadow...auctioneer.

No etiquette. Take it elsewhere.

b:victory I agree!~ Swiftwind + Auctioneer is fun >3

And I sit afk ontop of the cs peeps while I wait for 10 minutes X3
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Oldbear - Sanctuary
    Oldbear - Sanctuary Posts: 486 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    ~S

I know it's off topic but nuke's capability to be total killer is terribly overrated. besides your pawns may start thinking uh should we kill 7 billion which is huge job or...should we kill just 1 person which is a lot easier.
  • hofnarf
    hofnarf Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Well offtopic or not, i agree with the etiquette. I don't have anything against those shop-cats or some ppl showing their animals, but it's simply too much. There are so many people there and my game is lagging really bad when i want to go to the banker there. It's really no fun to be in Western Archosaur and i'm always glad when i'm out of this mess again and not everyone has the money to buy upgrades for their computers when it normally isn't necessary. I personally think this is too much:
    screen1ixv.jpg
    edited May 2009
    hawk - Necro'd threads will get locked. If you spot a necro'd thread that a mod/admin has missed, PM your mod of choice and they'll deal with it.

People that repeatedly and purposefully bring long dead threads back to the front page will most likely receive some sort of punishment.

why did you find the need to dig this up randomly?
  • hofnarf
    hofnarf Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Because it's an issue i have to deal with every day and i hate it, really.
  • Axemanek - Heavens Tear
    Axemanek - Heavens Tear Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    In west district, everything goes!
    I Want To Eat Estasi & Send Her Into Extasy!! b:victory

May The Force Not Be With You!
  • OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear
    OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    hofnarf wrote: »
    Because it's an issue i have to deal with every day and i hate it, really.

Have you tried hitting Crtl-F9 to reduce the amount of graphic rendering the video card has to do?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]