Desktop Icon

Options
soulreaperrevan
soulreaperrevan Posts: 0 Arc User
edited April 2009 in General Discussion
Hi all, I'm not sure if this belongs here, so please feel free to move to appropriate place.

I was wondering if there was a way to change the current desktop icon of Perfect World (Looks like gold square Chinese medallion, very ugly) to the icon on top of this site (the orange cleric icon that has Perfect World International text).

Any help would be appreciated, thnx all in advance
Post edited by soulreaperrevan on

Comments

• Sindygoboom - Sanctuary
    Sindygoboom - Sanctuary Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    1) Get the image. There is a copy of it in the downloadable fansite kit from this site.

2) Fire up your image manipulation program of choice. I will tell you about photoshop, since that's what I'm familiar with

3) Do whatever you need to the image. Perhaps killing the white background leaving the open alpha channel like it is on this site, rather than how the kit has it.

4) Save it as an icon. There is a plugin for PS that will allow you to save images as .ico files. I am unaware of a similar functionality for GIMP.

5) right click your ugly shortcut and go to properties.

6) I'm using XP, and there is a button called "change icon". Click that, and point it to the .ico file.

7)???

8) Profit.
  • OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear
    OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    GIMP does support saving as *.ico
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Terail - Sanctuary
    Terail - Sanctuary Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    I just attempted, but the image looks horrible. The writing just becomes too squished and unorganised. If I could find just the lady with wings, that may be possible.
  • soulreaperrevan
    soulreaperrevan Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    K, thnx for the info Sindy. I just tried it out and the image does get squished down like Teail said, im going to continue to work with it some more.

Why that wasn't made into the original icon ill never know, but we all got our own preferences hehe.
  • Sindygoboom - Sanctuary
    Sindygoboom - Sanctuary Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Played around with it a bit. I cut off just above the text so I have the just the flying girl with sort of a fade-to-transparent white mist around her. It's still a bit small, but that's because she's wider than she is tall.

Still, I really like it and thanks for giving me the idea. Never even thought to change it. I'd post it, but two major image hosting sites do not support .ico uploads, and this forum doesn't allow attachments.

And thanks Lazers...I'm just going blind and never saw that option in GIMP.

edit: i stopped being lazy, saved as a png, and it's here. Not fantastic, but if you like it, feel free to take it and resave as .ico.
  • Terail - Sanctuary
    Terail - Sanctuary Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Thanks Sindy, looks great. Much better than the default.
  • Smexxyfox - Heavens Tear
    Smexxyfox - Heavens Tear Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    bored at work.. soo here goes:

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=2915cb88a9bb0d841bee9a6e9edd9c76e04e75f6e8ebb871

I had to zip em cos image hoster doesnt like ico files.
  • Qwentomec - Heavens Tear
    Qwentomec - Heavens Tear Posts: 270 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Anyone else notice the ads for Russian mail order brides on that mediafire link? b:laugh
    you thilly gooses... feather set is thuper fabulous! -Bowlinbob

Chars:
    Qwentomec 94 BM / _Zappy_ 99 Wizzy / xLysander 6x Cleric / MoneyBagz 5x Veno / BaNaNa 3x Barb / _Flappy_ 2x Archer / xKnifey 2x Sin / Spoo_Ney 3x Psy

(cookie for anyone who gets the simpsons reference in those last 2 names)
  • Smexxyfox - Heavens Tear
    Smexxyfox - Heavens Tear Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    yea but they didnt click on them =P (most of us have popup blockers)

Was the first and fastest host I found, so sue me.
  • Zirconium - Heavens Tear
    Zirconium - Heavens Tear Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    If anyone is interested, I have been messing around with Photoshop.

PWI.ico
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My Sigs >> myweb.tiscali.co.uk/squeek/pages/sigs/sigs.htm
  • FoxRunning - Heavens Tear
    FoxRunning - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    i have to try this! it would be fun to have a prettier one.

here is a related question:

i have visual problems, and while i can tweak settings most of the time to compensate, the one thing that is consistently a problem is the game cursor. is it permitted to find another that works better for me? and, bigger question, would it mess up the running of the game?

1) Get the image. There is a copy of it in the downloadable fansite kit from this site.

2) Fire up your image manipulation program of choice. I will tell you about photoshop, since that's what I'm familiar with

3) Do whatever you need to the image. Perhaps killing the white background leaving the open alpha channel like it is on this site, rather than how the kit has it.

4) Save it as an icon. There is a plugin for PS that will allow you to save images as .ico files. I am unaware of a similar functionality for GIMP.

5) right click your ugly shortcut and go to properties.

6) I'm using XP, and there is a button called "change icon". Click that, and point it to the .ico file.

7)???

8) Profit.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (and hugs to Flauschkatze for the sig!)
    "Thanks for writing me-- it's always great to hear from a vet.

-FrankieRaye"
    Playing here since '08b:heart
  • Matt_ - Sanctuary
    Matt_ - Sanctuary Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    bored at work.. soo here goes:

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=2915cb88a9bb0d841bee9a6e9edd9c76e04e75f6e8ebb871

I had to zip em cos image hoster doesnt like ico files.
    b:thanks make more? ^^
    Sanctuary's worst and poorest bm! b:victoryb:surrenderb:cry