Can I get some help with my character?

Gregen - Lost City
Gregen - Lost City Posts: 174 Arc User
edited May 2009 in Wizard
I'm a level 37 Wizard and honestly I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to adding attributes. I've mostly been adding them to magic. While I deal a whole lot of damage in battle, I take a lot of physical damage, too. It makes me really useful in parties, which I normally prefer to be in, but soloing at times can be too dangerous for me.

This is especially true when I'm battling Fire type element creatures with physical attacks because I chose fire spells as favorable, that's where my spirit points go. (Yeah, yeah. I'm a pyro but I enjoy playing this way.)

At first all my points went to magic and then enough strength to wield new weapons, but after coming close to death after every single battle I started adding some vitality. And I added dex at some point for whatever reason.

So here are my base attributes, what should I do to maintain having powerful magic attacks but not make myself so incredibly vulnerable to physical attacks?

Level 37 Wizard
Vit. 24
Str. 21
Mag.142
Dex. 13

I was looking at the "Wizard Guide for Newcomers" http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=95192 thread on here and thought the "Light Armor Build" looked good. I was considering switching to that but it doesn't have you add anything to vitality and I already added 19 points to that.

So if I switched to that that I'd have to add a lot of str and dex, ignoring magic for a bit and considering the 19 points in vit that could have been in mag it would be like docking my magic power nearly four levels and I don't want that.

Sorry for the long post. Does anyone have an idea of a build that I could choose for myself starting now? I have the item from apothecary skill that regens my hp (and mp) faster. I just want mostly powerful magic attacks but again not so incredibly vulnerable to physical attacks.
Post edited by Gregen - Lost City on

Comments

• Chocooo - Lost City
    Chocooo - Lost City Posts: 238 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    What you're missing isn't damage, you're missing the ability to kite.
    You'd want to max gush asap, because it allows you to continue moving backwards (using the button s) while gushing to keep a distance between you and the mob.

Don't stick to one element.
    There are plenty of great spells at each element that it would put you at a huge disadvantage if you ignored.
  • Gregen - Lost City
    edited March 2009
    Well my other spells are leveled, like gush, just not as much as the fire ones. They're only a level or two behind. Originally, I thought I could kill them before they had a chance to hit me. Apperently, that's not the case. Especially on PvP.
  • Gregen - Lost City
    edited March 2009
    Well my other spells are leveled, like gush, just not as much as the fire ones. They're only a level or two behind. Originally, I thought I could kill them before they had a chance to hit me. Apperently, that's not the case. Especially on PvP.

What I mean is.. if there's not enough spirit to level ALL of my elements, I'll choose fire.
  • Amy_Nailo - Lost City
    Amy_Nailo - Lost City Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Concentrate on the 3 basic spells, Pyrogram, Gush and Stone Rain. These are the 3 spells you will use 95% of the time. The rest of the spells take only 1 level.

Usually you will start a mob with stone rain, followed by Gush. Then you either finish it with Pyrogram or start kitting like Chocooo said. You run back and Gush until the monster is dead. You will need practice, but with that method you can kill 75% of the monsters without getting hit.

Also for your build, since you have points in vit I think you cannot play the optimal light armor build (which is 1 str 1 dex 3 mag per level). You will always be couple of level behind. I suggest you to buy an intermediate reset note (they are on sales now), and change to pure build. It's easier to level in my opinion, especially since you like squads so much. You shouldn't get hit at all.

I'm pure and the only mob that usually hits me are the physical ranged one. Take a friend with you to kill these if you don't wanna buy HP pots

- Amy
  • King_Solomon - Heavens Tear
    King_Solomon - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,341 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    don't worry with spirit. you'll run out of coins before it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you're willing to join another online game do NOT join any hosted by K2 NETWORK. Want to know why? Check BBB complaints.
  • Sindygoboom - Sanctuary
    Sindygoboom - Sanctuary Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I started out thinking I'd "speacialize" in fire too, but this game doesn't really make it practical. It's nice really; the versatility of three elements can help.

Gush is a definite level. My typical sequence is actually gush-> pyro -> walk back one second -> gush

I find leading with stone usually means i'll take a hit before i finish them (when I'm solo) but the gush/pyro cycle gives me enough time to kite. Water mobs I'll throw in an earth.

I am pure, and yeah, my pdef is dirt. My advice:

-Restat to light. You may not even need to do that now per se. 19 vit is 190 hp, which is more useful now than it will be in a few levels. Do it when you can afford it.

- Just keep going. Make good use of distance shrink to kite away from mobs. At 39 you get a knockback that will keep melee physicals from ever hitting you. At 49 you'll get a seal to help with the archers. I'm mid 60s now, still pure, and I solo very well. Lots more elemental attacks to deal with, and lots of options to deal with the ones that insist on trying to whack me.
  • Wildstar - Harshlands
    Wildstar - Harshlands Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    A reset note isn't that unbelievably expensive. I saw some for 400k a few hours ago. Just buy one ingame from another player and reset your Dexterity or Vitality. And you really don't have to do it right away as that low amount of dexterity shouldn't affect your damage to much so you can still level and grind in the meantime.
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    Kristoph - Lost City Posts: 2,016 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    don't worry with spirit. you'll run out of coins before it.
    Uh. Not really, depends on the person. I'm still running out of spirit constantly.
    Wondering how much longer these **** packs are going to be around.
  • kyllem7787
    kyllem7787 Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Thanks for the help everyone. Reset notes were on sale so I bought an Intermediate Reset-all note and am now playing with the light armor build and becoming more versatile with spells. With this build I do feel a little less vunerable and the critical rate is nice.
  • kyllem7787
    kyllem7787 Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Uh. Not really, depends on the person. I'm still running out of spirit constantly.
    kyllem7787 wrote: »
    Thanks for the help everyone. Reset notes were on sale so I bought an Intermediate Reset-all note and am now playing with the light armor build and becoming more versatile with spells. With this build I do feel a little less vunerable and the critical rate is nice.

Hah! Oops, didn't realize I was on my friend's name. This is still Gregen.
  • Gregen - Lost City
    edited March 2009
    By the way. Is it supposed to be rediculously hard to solo? I'm getting frustrated because I died five times today and I just don't know what to do. Getting hit is still taking so much hp, it's so frustrating.
  • Taurzo - Lost City
    Taurzo - Lost City Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I'm a level 37 Wizard and honestly I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to adding attributes. I've mostly been adding them to magic. While I deal a whole lot of damage in battle, I take a lot of physical damage, too. It makes me really useful in parties, which I normally prefer to be in, but soloing at times can be too dangerous for me.

This is especially true when I'm battling Fire type element creatures with physical attacks because I chose fire spells as favorable, that's where my spirit points go. (Yeah, yeah. I'm a pyro but I enjoy playing this way.)

At first all my points went to magic and then enough strength to wield new weapons, but after coming close to death after every single battle I started adding some vitality. And I added dex at some point for whatever reason.

So here are my base attributes, what should I do to maintain having powerful magic attacks but not make myself so incredibly vulnerable to physical attacks?

Level 37 Wizard
    Vit. 24
    Str. 21
    Mag.142
    Dex. 13

I was looking at the "Wizard Guide for Newcomers" http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=95192 thread on here and thought the "Light Armor Build" looked good. I was considering switching to that but it doesn't have you add anything to vitality and I already added 19 points to that.

So if I switched to that that I'd have to add a lot of str and dex, ignoring magic for a bit and considering the 19 points in vit that could have been in mag it would be like docking my magic power nearly four levels and I don't want that.

Sorry for the long post. Does anyone have an idea of a build that I could choose for myself starting now? I have the item from apothecary skill that regens my hp (and mp) faster. I just want mostly powerful magic attacks but again not so incredibly vulnerable to physical attacks.

I made the mistake of adding points to VIT too at first. I thought it would pay off. But as a MG you only get +10hp for every 1 point put in your VIT. With that said putting points in your VIT isn't worth it. It's just gonna gobble up your true potential. (you can purchase a reset tome in the cash shop and change your allocated points so don't stress xP)

Alot of Pure wizards focus on enough STR to equip weapons and Armor and all the rest goes in MAG. However, I think that a little bit of the MAG points should fall into DEX to give your character a higher CRIT% . A Pure MG crit is a SCARY SCARY thing. But like you said, Pure MGs drop like flies when a Physical person comes into play. This holds true until lvl. 70+ at the LEAST. But after that, a Pure begins to **** and by the time you go Celestial (lvl.89) your a serious force to be reckoned with.

I personally switched from a Pure to a LA despite the bad rap LA gets. I find in a server where the majority of users are physical based it's good to defend yourself from that. LA's have FAR superior Phys.Def than a Robe/Pure however we sacrifice raw magical power for this gain. An LA is weaker against the elements and thus is weak to a Pure MG of equal lvl. 90% of the time a Pure will whoop down an LA. But on the upside, we crit a HELL of a lot more than a Pure, and crits are SOOOOO nice. Plus our evasion is higher so we dodge Phys. attacks entirely unlike Pure.

Both choices have there up and downs so you have to pick what you would play with best. GL man ^^
  • Gregen - Lost City
    edited May 2009
    Well here I am about 30 levels later. Thought I would come back to thank everyone for their responses. I've been using the light armor build and I am happy with it.