2 Weapon path.. Possible??

Options
Nautie - Sanctuary
Nautie - Sanctuary Posts: 11 Arc User
edited March 2009 in Blademaster
Hello fellow Blademasters, after i reached lvl 30 and decided too pick up Axe/hammer i wrote lyandur guide which say that Sword/blade is better for solo, but i have used alot of SP on axe spell uptil lvl 34 so is it possible too expand too different ways too try different playstyles? or is it too expansive in SP?

Axe/ham -> AOE

Sword/blade -> solo

Thanks

Nautie
Post edited by Nautie - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Lyndura - Lost City
    Lyndura - Lost City Posts: 829 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Hello fellow Blademasters, after i reached lvl 30 and decided too pick up Axe/hammer i wrote lyandur guide which say that Sword/blade is better for solo, but i have used alot of SP on axe spell uptil lvl 34 so is it possible too expand too different ways too try different playstyles? or is it too expansive in SP?

Axe/ham -> AOE

Sword/blade -> solo

Thanks

Nautie

Usually when fighting mobs 1 on 1, it is used one starting skill (most of the time Aeolian Blade/Draw Blood/Shadowless Kick) followed by normal hits.

Therefore, you don't need to level Sword skills for PvE, just the Mastery.

So, if you want to use both weapons, then you can level Axe skills and just level Sword's Mastery.

Or you can just keep being Axe and use normal hits with it, saving some money. (Because eventually you will need both weapons to be good, which takes a lot of money).
  • Nautie - Sanctuary
    Nautie - Sanctuary Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Usually when fighting mobs 1 on 1, it is used one starting skill (most of the time Aeolian Blade/Draw Blood/Shadowless Kick) followed by normal hits.

Therefore, you don't need to level Sword skills for PvE, just the Mastery.

So, if you want to use both weapons, then you can level Axe skills and just level Sword's Mastery.

Or you can just keep being Axe and use normal hits with it, saving some money. (Because eventually you will need both weapons to be good, which takes a lot of money).

Yes i understand, thank you, but the most annoying thing about this path choice, is that i find some interesting skills in each tree. and if u find different weapon at your journey in level, it will be sad too have maxed sword and axe but got 1 nice polearm ot spear.
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    Granrey - Sanctuary Posts: 2,050 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Well, after being sword for so long and recently testing some fits. I'm following dual path.

My main will continue being sword but fists has some skills and properties that I'm interested in after good results with them.

You can pretty well do it. A good example is that fists has a skill to cancell mob magic attacks while they are being casted and an interesting AOE too.
  • shakaboom
    shakaboom Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    im dual path BM.. sword -Axe BM b:victoryb:victory
  • Jasili - Heavens Tear
    Jasili - Heavens Tear Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    I prefer Axes for PVE, and spears for PVP...

Spears and axes need much strenght, and u can easy do this.

Swords need better dex, but then u haven't points for strenght.
    b:shocked
  • Samsamsimply - Heavens Tear
    Samsamsimply - Heavens Tear Posts: 169 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    I am dual path. Sword/Axe. I didn't start building my axe tree till level 50. I guess you just have to make sure your getting only the skills you really want and need in order to have enough SP and coin to pay for skills. Up till now, SP has not been an issue but Coin always seems to be an issue for me.
  • darkriser
    darkriser Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    well.. i ot a lvl 51 axe bm.. nd iv started investing in the fists path... shadowless kick sems usefull in stunlocking... and cancelling spells... also, when u get to 89.. the demon version makes shadowless a aoe... so will chain in pretty good.. and ists are the best fr pve grinding i hear.. so axe/fist isnt a bad idea
  • Seablue - Sanctuary
    Seablue - Sanctuary Posts: 261 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Welcome to the 6/3/1 (str/dex/vit) association. Well that's if you are planning to use both weapons of your level. b:victory
  • KhaosShadow - Sanctuary
    KhaosShadow - Sanctuary Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    I use fist/axe/spear (swords are useless imo). Our class is called blademaster, not fistmaster or axemaster. I can easily use all 4 weapons and have skills in all of them. Although because of spirit I would stick to 1 weapon til you're 70+.
  • XAsch - Sanctuary
    XAsch - Sanctuary Posts: 855 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    <-- Axe + Sword skills all maxed. (uses fists, too, but has no skills =P)
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    edited March 2009
    Options
    darkriser wrote: »
    well.. i ot a lvl 51 axe bm.. nd iv started investing in the fists path... shadowless kick sems usefull in stunlocking... and cancelling spells... also, when u get to 89.. the demon version makes shadowless a aoe... so will chain in pretty good.. and ists are the best fr pve grinding i hear.. so axe/fist isnt a bad idea

I think swords and fists complement each other better.

Sword and fists both benefit pretty good on high dex. And sword appears to be better with melee mobs while fists with mag mobs. Another thing is that sword is focus more on PVP and fists on PVE with several mobs.

Another thing is that Fists is mentioned to be good vs mages and others while sword is better vs other classes.

Just my opinion. I'm still testing all these.

Edit:

Another thing with sword (at least with duals) is that the str requirement is less than the armor requirement. Allowing you to add more points on dex to help your Fists built. I'm not sure but I have seen on some treads that Axes requires more str than the armor requirement.
  • Seablue - Sanctuary
    Seablue - Sanctuary Posts: 261 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Another thing with sword (at least with duals) is that the str requirement is less than the armor requirement. Allowing you to add more points on dex to help your Fists built. I'm not sure but I have seen on some treads that Axes requires more str than the armor requirement.

Unless you go light armor you'll always need to put 5str. Fist needs 4 per 2 lvl which left you with 1 point. There's not much left to put to dex unless you sacrifice vit. But if you want to sacrifice vit you should put that point in str instead so you can use axe.
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Unless you go light armor you'll always need to put 5str. Fist needs 4 per 2 lvl which left you with 1 point. There's not much left to put to dex unless you sacrifice vit. But if you want to sacrifice vit you should put that point in str instead so you can use axe.

Well, my built is still dual swords/blades base and Fists is a secondary built for particular and special cases. I use light armor rarely (I mostly switch during the fight depending on the mob but that's a long topic on its own).

However, I have cases in which I use HA and fists. If I'm being attacked by several melee mobs I switch to fists but keep my heavy armor. The only reason for this is to use the fist's AOE and the others AOE for all BM in just one Combo.
  • Revert - Lost City
    Revert - Lost City Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    I use fists with HA for PVE bosses and 1v1 mobs, and axes for grinding aoe, and TW. So it is very possible to do.
  • DragonBain - Lost City
    DragonBain - Lost City Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    did yal know?
    if ur sword and axe combo
    u can use spear 2 its in between with medium str and dex
    so if u can use and axe
    u can use spear 2, the only problem is the skills
    The Seventh Endogata...
    *Singh is King*
  • Bobncut - Sanctuary
    Bobncut - Sanctuary Posts: 419 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options

I think I'm following this. You are saying that the minimum gear requirements for heavy armor and fist are 2.5 STR and 2 DEX per level which only leaves 0.5 points per level for choice of STR, DEX, or VIT. I'm with you on all of that. I think you are comparing these requirements to the 3 STR/1.5 DEX per level of a sword/axe combo and somehow finding the latter to dominate.

I don't really see that at all. Axe and sword have very different playstyles. To make these complement each other effectively, you have to develop the skills of both which is quite expensive. You are effectively building two different baldemasters. The proposal of sword/fist is essentially a dex-blademaster build. The trees are much more similar in how they are played. You could let one of the weapons be your ddominant (defqault?) weapon and add a skill or two from the other trees to supplement as needed. So, maybe you max the sword tree for ordinary use and add 1 level of Shadowless Kick to get that great opening against magic attack mobs (and to help with bosses?) or add some Cyclone Heel to get enough AOE attacks to actually be able to handle a mob of mobs.

All in all, I don't think it is illogical to look at the closest branch of the skill tree rather than making a radical shift. It may not be the best idea for everyone, but it has some good points too.