new to game

suezk
suezk Posts: 3 Arc User
edited March 2009 in General Discussion
hi all
my son aged 9 has asked to play this game. an older friend of the family told him about it. I have no doubt at his abilitys, more weather being an online game if it suitable for someone so young. my concerns are story lines and fowl language, either in the story or by other players. Having never played a game like this online myself i'm a a bit of a loss.
any help or ideas would really be great
thanks in advance
Sue
Post edited by suezk on

Comments

• Literature - Harshlands
    Literature - Harshlands Posts: 822 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    The written dialogue in the game would be O.K for a 9 year old I think. It's just the players you gotta worry about lol.
  • Kamikiri - Lost City
    Kamikiri - Lost City Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    suezk wrote: »
    hi all
    my son aged 9 has asked to play this game. an older friend of the family told him about it. I have no doubt at his abilitys, more weather being an online game if it suitable for someone so young. my concerns are story lines and fowl language, either in the story or by other players. Having never played a game like this online myself i'm a a bit of a loss.
    thanks in advance
    Sue

The story line is clean following chinese mythology.
    As for vulgar languague, it doesnt happen much but yes other players do, as theres a word filter.

Two choices of server: PvE(player vs enviroment) and PvP(player vs player)
    on a pvp server you have high lvls and random indivituals that'll kill you while questing, I dont recommend this type of server for your kid.

Pve, your free to quest unhindered and have a option of turning on PvP mode.
    This server is a nice choice for your kid.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ಙೆ_ಙೆ Rage sauce face, it's my expression everytime you necro a thread. ~Made by Konariraiden!
  • dieseasily
    dieseasily Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    suezk wrote: »
    hi all
    thanks in advance
    Sue

There is no foul languange in the game itself. But there are 10,000 other players and unfortunately there are some that can get out of control with their language. But overall this is a very friendly game.

Id recomend that you play it yourself for a few days to see if the language is to over the top for your child though. I am a parent my self and I would allow my sons to play it if they were old enough, but they are under 5 and not into this type of game. I also have a very high tolerance for language as I grew up with 6 brothers.

There is no real gore in this game either. No blood splatter, or wounds appearing as you attack. There is just some flashy animation and then some numbers posted over the victems head telling you how much damage you did. And when you kill something it just falls over, dies, then fades away after a second.

I would recomend that you make sure that your child is well educated in internet safety. Make sure he knows better then to ever give out any personal information, like his real name, phone number. While I have not seen people trolling for kids in this particular game, I have in others. I have seen in another game where there was a person who would target kids, convince them that he was a hacker then have the kids steal their parents credit cards and give him all the info necessary to steal the childs parents identity. I would explain the scam and how it worked, but that is too much information for a public forum.
    Dumb people are blissfully unaware of how dumb they really are. - Patrick Starfish
  • suezk
    suezk Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    thanks all for the replys
    looks like we will try him out on the PvE first
    and see how he goes from there
  • nightyne
    nightyne Posts: 344 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Good luck hope it works out maybe you can play together for awhile and help him while you get a feel for the game yourself.
    Try out the swearing filter yourself too.
  • Criticalhitz - Heavens Tear
    Criticalhitz - Heavens Tear Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    PvP is a more adult enviroment I personally think, I mean no offense to you or your son but kids that age can't handle being killed constantly since he's younger he might react and get down and it wont be a good gaming experience for him there (from my experience running into younger players on PvP games). The story-line to the game is very clean, theres an option also your son can turn off public chats,squad chat,faction chat, and I believe world chat aswell as whisper so he can easly get away from the foul language if it's being used in either of those chats. There is also a thing called 'Black list' it allows the player to ignore the other players text, so just show your kid how to use and it will be all good. I'd also reccomend you yourself to hover over sometimes, big citys have people that swear often (nothing hardcore but nothing a parent mite want there 9 year old to see) and if you see a player swearing, there is a way to report them and they will get a warning if not recieve a ban.

Nothing really wrong, I think he might be more into the gameplay then the text to even notice swears. Also you mentioned a member/friend of your family showed him it, if that person plays then maybe have them watch the areas once and a while to.

But best of luck to your son and hope he enjoys the game :)
    Making new char..Which one? I have a BM..but I want more damage and stuff to do..

Experienced players contact with the cons n pros of there class and where to put points n what skills to up ASAP thanks..