Crit or Channeling?

Nayethe - Lost City
Nayethe - Lost City Posts: 34 Arc User
edited March 2009 in Cleric
In your opinion, what is more useful for a Cleric?

(1) Critical hit rate
(2) Stacked channeling reduction

(I'm asking mostly to know which is best for PvE, but input for PvP would also be appreciated!)

I can really see arguments for each:

With good gear, you can fairly easily get to a 10% critical hit rate, which is pretty significant. If it takes about 5 shots to kill a mob, you will crit once every two mobs (on average). That will save you MP!

Also, with good gear, it is possible to stack channeling reduction very high (~20% with 3-4 good pieces of equipment). Channeling faster means you might just get an extra shot off before the enemy gets to you, or your quicker heal might save the tank's life! This will save you (or the tank) HP!

So, in your opinion, which is better?
Nayethe - 7x Combat Cleric
~Reviction~
Post edited by Nayethe - Lost City on

Comments

• Mothergoose - Sanctuary
    Mothergoose - Sanctuary Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    If it's between 10% crit and 20% channel, I'd say channel is better, especially for pve. Damage is more consistent and reliable. That is, unless you have really bad lag.
  • Mr_Grip - Heavens Tear
    Mr_Grip - Heavens Tear Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Definitely channeling, you will always have the speed bonus. The higher crit rate isn't set in stone, you may or may not crit all the time.
  • Alyyy - Sanctuary
    Alyyy - Sanctuary Posts: 3,165 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    whats channeling? i saw that a lot on threads but i dont know what it is-.-

tell me , i shall absorb the knowledge like a spunge absorbs waterb:nosebleed
    Clerics are like cops...they always seem to be around.....until you actually need one b:surrender - DeadRaven
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2009
    whats channeling? i saw that a lot on threads but i dont know what it is-.-

tell me , i shall absorb the knowledge like a spunge absorbs waterb:nosebleed

The amount of time that the bar at the bottom of your screen fills up when you cast a spell.
  • Alyyy - Sanctuary
    edited March 2009
    oh so if i understood chaneling is casting speed?
    Clerics are like cops...they always seem to be around.....until you actually need one b:surrender - DeadRaven
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2009

Basically, yes.
  • Alyyy - Sanctuary
    edited March 2009
    ok ty b:bye
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mikel_oru - Sanctuary
    Mikel_oru - Sanctuary Posts: 610 Arc User
    edited March 2009

There are 3 statuses on the spells; channeling, cast and cooldown
    Cooldown = time needed before you're able to cast again.
    Channeling = loading of the spell (that bar on the bottom).
    Cast = the effects before the actual hit.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Alyyy - Sanctuary
    edited March 2009
    oh so u actualy need to count the channel and cast together to get the real time it takes for it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Aezy - Sanctuary
    Aezy - Sanctuary Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    For a Cleric, Channeling will win out every time because it makes your heals faster.

Unless I was mistold and critical hit rate % affects healing.
  • Mr_Grip - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2009
    From what I understand, you can't crit on a healing spell.
  • Enina - Heavens Tear
    Enina - Heavens Tear Posts: 263 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Sadly, the only things you can crit are your offensive skills. That, or we just don't notice healing skills critting, as we don't get actual figures for how much we heal for. Maybe some of our heals do heal-crits from time to time, but it's just impossible to notice...

In any case, I'd also say -channel if the choice was between 10% crit and -20% channel. However... If it was -3% channel and 1% crit, I'd take the crit. The channel bonus is neglible at that little, but an extra % of crit is more useful.
    edited March 2009
    I was told that heal over time does not crit, but instant heal does. Oh well, I guess you really can't depend on heal going crit to survive, so it doesn't really matter anyway...b:shutup
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I like channeling for sure.
    We kill things too fast, and with few strikes. We dont hit the mobs like other melees do for a crit% to actually procure ENOUGH to be worthwhile. (aka hitting a mob 20+ times)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • Kiwi - Harshlands
    Kiwi - Harshlands Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    id say -chan for pve and crit for pvp
  • Nayethe - Lost City
    Nayethe - Lost City Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Well, I think I've decided that I'm going for channeling. I do a lot more PvE stuff than PvP, and I kill things with very few shots (5 max usually). So, with even 20% crit, I would crit once per mob on average, but it wouldn't even matter since the mob would be dead anyway! So killing (or healing) just a little faster should be my priority.

But what percentage of channeling reduction should I shoot for? I have a -3% channeling ring (current for my level), and I have a Necklace of the Legion for another -3% channeling. That gives me a total of -6% currently. Once I hit 77, I will add another -6% channeling with Sleeves of the Sea Captain. So, I'll have -12% channeling. How much higher should I stack it?

Thanks for the help so far! It has been very useful!
    Nayethe - 7x Combat Cleric
    ~Reviction~
  • Mr_Grip - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2009
    I would stack as much as possible without compromising attack/defense and such. -12% is a good amount.
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Well, I think I've decided that I'm going for channeling. I do a lot more PvE stuff than PvP, and I kill things with very few shots (5 max usually). So, with even 20% crit, I would crit once per mob on average, but it wouldn't even matter since the mob would be dead anyway! So killing (or healing) just a little faster should be my priority.

But what percentage of channeling reduction should I shoot for? I have a -3% channeling ring (current for my level), and I have a Necklace of the Legion for another -3% channeling. That gives me a total of -6% currently. Once I hit 77, I will add another -6% channeling with Sleeves of the Sea Captain. So, I'll have -12% channeling. How much higher should I stack it?

Thanks for the help so far! It has been very useful!
    Around -20% youll get maybe 1-1.5sec reduction, with -30% its about 2sec or so. It doesnt seem much but even with -12% youll see a noticable difference.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • Forp - Heavens Tear
    Forp - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,445 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Blessing has -39% channeling. Semi-automatic cleric right there.
  • Sylvae - Sanctuary
    Sylvae - Sanctuary Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Guess it depends on PvE or PvP. -6% is enough that a spell combo of 4 spells will allow you to cast before another poison stack hits, which is all I need. Maybe if it affected casting time as well as channeling speed, I'd spec more towards it. But mostly I'm going for best over-all gear. If some 3*s that are really good and have -channeling appear and i feel like going full out on PvP, might make a switch. But giving up legendary for that and the cost will be a hard sell.
  • Forp - Heavens Tear
    Forp - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,445 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Best all around gear with level 4 gems on it?
  • Sylvae - Sanctuary
    Sylvae - Sanctuary Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    And refined to +4 at that. I don't waste money on early gear when it isn't needed. Getting set for my lvl 90 area, and have the stuff needed to get them all +4.
  • Blessing - Heavens Tear
    Blessing - Heavens Tear Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Blessing has -39% channeling. Semi-automatic cleric right there.

TW Cleric = Spam heals on others until 2 sparks, then Tempest. No need for crit really unless you plan on DD'ing most of the time. The healing system for PW is really terrible so it's understandable that most clerics choose to DD over spending time looking to heal others.

I come from WoW, where addons allowed me to have 40 members' health bars, mana bars, debuffs, and buffs appear where ever I choose to place them. They also tell me if they are within range for my heals. PW healing = guess + click on people outside party. Terrible!
  • MasonChen - Sanctuary
    MasonChen - Sanctuary Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Well i prefer crit.(Seems like im the only one who's prefer crit in 3 pages..b:surrender)First is that how many hits can u kill a mob in pve.Pure magic cleric is so towards pve and they could easily 3 hit a mob around their level(white name mobs)Crit will help you kill mobs in mostly 1 or 2 hits.Second for -channeling.Many people just think that -6% is 6% time saved.But actually is not.Other than channeling.You still have a cast time which is unchanged by the -channeling.For example you have 1.5channeling time and 1cast so overall you didnt save much time)AOE grinding happens alot at high levels and u 100% want high crit of tempest.Lunar ring at lv95 has 3%crit -6% channeling(really hard to get anyways)if you could get such items it'll probalby helps both anyways.b:laugh
    edited March 2009
    The archer likes his crit.b:chuckle